Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heads Up Display  (Read 18836 times)

farmguy

• Silent Avalanche - In Memorial
  • Don't Mess with Texas
Heads Up Display
« on: 01/26/03 10:46 PM »

I see where JP Customs is offering an add on HUD are a real good price. (150). Has anyone installed one yet? If so, how do you like it? Any install problems?
H.U.D.
« Last Edit: 01/27/03 01:18 AM by irontrain »

'06 LT. Texas Bowtie, Jayhawk Hitch cover,  Amber DRLs, Magellan GPS, backup cam, Line of Fire, Chrome letter overlays, Cherry Bomb Glasspack, Bowtie Exhaust tip,Vent Visors, Bug Shield, Billet Grille, Halo Headlights, dark tinted windows, Sail panel LED's, Backup Sensors. Chrome 20's.

gandolphxx

• Charter Member
  • TANSTAAFL
    • The Urban Assault Vehicle
Heads Up Display
« Reply #1 on: 01/27/03 05:14 AM »

I see where JP Customs is offering an add on HUD are a real good price. (150). Has anyone installed one yet? If so, how do you like it? Any install problems?
H.U.D.

I have one, trying to get pix - really nice for night driving ;D
Mods @ The Ultimate Urban Assault Vehicle
2002 K2500 w/ 8.1L 4.10 4x4 4L85E Black - 4" Rancho Lift
11/17/02 60': 1.99 1/4 mi: 14.245 @ 94.45 MPH [68 deg]

Chasman

• Charter Member
  • Grand Canyon 2006
Heads Up Display
« Reply #2 on: 01/27/03 12:03 PM »

The PDF install instructions make it look pretty simple.  
Boar-ral from the Alberta chapter has ordered one.  We hope to install it at a meet, giving the rest of us a one up on the process.  
2008 1500 LS Blue Granite
2005 1500 Z71 Silver Birch Metallic
2002 1500 Z71 Onyx Black

AtomTaz

Heads Up Display
« Reply #3 on: 01/27/03 12:06 PM »

Cool I would like to get one.  One question though does this work with a dash mat? ???

Adam

gandolphxx

• Charter Member
  • TANSTAAFL
Heads Up Display
« Reply #4 on: 01/27/03 01:13 PM »

Cool I would like to get one.  One question though does this work with a dash mat? ???

Adam

What is a "dash mat", I have been leading a sheltered life. The unit can sit on top of the dash or be embedded in it [easier said than done].

AtomTaz

Heads Up Display
« Reply #5 on: 01/27/03 03:25 PM »

I might have spelled it wrong.  Sometimes i wish there is a spell check in this thing cause spelling is the thing I'm horrible at.  Maybe you know them as dash covers.  They cover your dash to keep it from getting damaged.

Adam

gandolphxx

• Charter Member
  • TANSTAAFL
Heads Up Display
« Reply #6 on: 01/27/03 06:29 PM »

If you are talking about the fold up reflective things, yes, it would probably damage it unless you counter sunk it into the dash.
« Last Edit: 01/27/03 06:51 PM by gandolphxx »

geopyg

• I love the Chevy Avalanche!
Heads Up Display
« Reply #7 on: 01/27/03 06:37 PM »

My 2002 came with a heads up display.  But, it only works when I look behind me, and everthing is reversed. ;)
2002 4x4 Indigo Blue

baron138

• Charter Member
  • Avalanche, It's a Shore Thing!
Heads Up Display
« Reply #8 on: 01/28/03 01:05 AM »

I love this option in the Vettes. Very jet like. I think I will wait to hear the verdict from fellow members though. It's on my want list though.
Indigo Blue Z71, Graphite sport leather, assist steps, lug. rack, conv. pack. moonroof, molded splash gaurds, bug shield,  xenon lamps, K&N FIPK, Flow 70 with duals out back,  Rock 200m ,  4 banger w JLs, Steeringwheel audio controls, Cargo deck, Weather Tech visors, Waag Front Runner, Flag bowtie, Lots of Zaino

Scubarex

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • roam...
Heads Up Display
« Reply #9 on: 01/28/03 01:15 AM »

I had a HUD on my Aztek.  It was cool, could adjust the brighteness display for both daylight and nighttime driving.  Display had the Pontiac logo at engine startup, and would also show radio/cd info, directional, speed.

It was a nice feature.  I think they use to put it in Grand Prix's.
2003 Dark Grey Metallic Z71
Wet Okole seat covers w/Mountain logo,  CargoPro, Mag-Lite/Fire Extinguisher,  Eurolite 899 fog/Blue DRL, 50 watt backup bulbs, Visor Labels, Carbon Fiber Bowtie, Dynamat in doors, Reflective cladding labels, Line of Fire, Putco Tailight covers

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
Heads Up Display
« Reply #10 on: 01/28/03 02:26 AM »

I'd love to have a HUD, but....

IMHO - after seeing the picture on the website, the unit sitting on the dashboard look like an eyesore.  Plus I don't like the fact that you have to place something on the windshield to reflect the info back to the driver.  And how would you control the brightness of the unit?  Would you have to reach all the way to the display on the dash?  Has anybody done this install on an Av or other vehicle?
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

gandolphxx

• Charter Member
  • TANSTAAFL
Heads Up Display
« Reply #11 on: 01/28/03 03:44 AM »

The control unit is separate and mounts on the knee nocker under the steering wheel [or close] - it controls the intensity.

As to the unit on the dash, it can be "counter sunk" into the dash with a little effort.

byron

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
  • He Who Must Not Be Named
Heads Up Display
« Reply #12 on: 02/03/03 02:26 PM »

That is cute, but seems like it would get obnoxious after time.  Anybody who has one care to comment?  ???

gandolphxx

• Charter Member
  • TANSTAAFL
Heads Up Display
« Reply #13 on: 02/03/03 03:18 PM »

I have it and love it - great addition.

draper23

Heads Up Display
« Reply #14 on: 02/04/03 02:01 AM »

:1:
HUD is awesome!  I have it on my Grand Prix and I hate driving without it now.  It took all of about  seconds to get used to.  Now I look for it every time I drive my truck.  I will definitely have to add this to the Av.

midlifecrisis

• Charter Member
    • AutoRacing1
Heads Up Display
« Reply #15 on: 02/04/03 02:43 AM »

As to the unit on the dash, it can be "counter sunk" into the dash with a little effort.

Oh I wish I had some mechanical ability......    :6:
2002 Black Onyx 1500 Z-71, assist steps, roof rack, WOL tires, visor decals, amber DRLs, gold painted cladding lettering, gold Avalanche C-pillar decals, Avalanche mountain Z-71 logo, mounted mag-lite, side mirror bras, hitch mounted back-up light (destroyed when rear-ended), stainless steel exhaust tip

the_ex-wifes_av

• Great vehicle, won't get to drive it anymore
Heads Up Display
« Reply #16 on: 02/04/03 05:31 AM »

What is a "dash mat", I have been leading a sheltered life....

Gandolphxx,

moving from south Texas myself, I had not heard of these until we had settled in Arizona.

These are on about 75% of the vehicles here, to help keep the sun from baking the dash when outside.

A link for your review:
Dash Mat

The ex-wife got the AV and I got everything else.
I wonder who got the better deal...  =:>

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
    • Chevy Avalanche Fan Club
Heads Up Display
« Reply #17 on: 02/04/03 06:02 AM »

I really, really, really, really wish there was a mod for the Pontiac style system installed on the Avalanche.  Having direction, speed, and radio data on the display IMHO is a big safety benefit.  Don't have to look down or up to get this data so eyes are on the road.

I decided not to go with the JP Customs solution (sorry Jason) because of some of the issues outlined here.  However I really wish I could have a HUD in the Avalanche.  Anyone care to engineer a solution using the Pontiac parts?   ;D
2011 LTZ 4WD, White Diamond Tricoat, Black Leather - purchased 4/6/2015

2002 Z71, Indigo Blue, Graphite Leather

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Onyx Leather, Holden Commodore conversion

2005 Saturn Relay FWD3 Bronze Mist, Tan Leather, weather beater

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 Silver, Gray Leather

1985 Isuzu Impulse Silver, Blue Cloth, fully restored survivor

Qrtr_myl_racer

Heads Up Display
« Reply #18 on: 02/04/03 06:23 AM »

I really, really, really, really wish there was a mod for the Pontiac style system installed on the Avalanche.  Having direction, speed, and radio data on the display IMHO is a big safety benefit.  Don't have to look down or up to get this data so eyes are on the road.

I decided not to go with the JP Customs solution (sorry Jason) because of some of the issues outlined here.  However I really wish I could have a HUD in the Avalanche.  Anyone care to engineer a solution using the Pontiac parts?   ;D

The C5 Corvettes from 1999-present are also an option. My 99' vette has it and it works great. Although radio controls are not part of the feature of the HUD in the vette as current

"D-man" (HUD..... Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm)

Texasex

Heads Up Display
« Reply #19 on: 02/04/03 07:30 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm, this whole issue is somewhat confusing.  The true HUD requires a specific windshield application, the glass itself must contain a reflective element contained within the PVB layer between the glass layers.  The Avalanche windshield, which is the same as the Escalade and the Silverados, among others, does NOT come with this option.   ::)
02, Z71,Summit White, K&N Induction, Amber DRL, Full Time DRL, Pioneer DEH 8400 HU, Drawtite Window Air Deflectors, ES Bushings, Pinstriped, AV Visor Mod, Sail Panel Windows

Chief

• Charter Member
  • Go team Venture!!!
    • Chevy Avalanche Fan Club
Heads Up Display
« Reply #20 on: 02/04/03 07:33 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm, this whole issue is somewhat confusing.  The true HUD requires a specific windshield application, the glass itself must contain a reflective element contained within the PVB layer between the glass layers.  The Avalanche windshield, which is the same as the Escalade and the Silverados, among others, does NOT come with this option.   ::)

:C: :C: :C: :C: :C: :6:
2011 LTZ 4WD, White Diamond Tricoat, Black Leather - purchased 4/6/2015

2002 Z71, Indigo Blue, Graphite Leather

2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White Hot, Onyx Leather, Holden Commodore conversion

2005 Saturn Relay FWD3 Bronze Mist, Tan Leather, weather beater

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 Silver, Gray Leather

1985 Isuzu Impulse Silver, Blue Cloth, fully restored survivor

Z71offrd

• Keep Honking, I'm Reloading!
Heads Up Display
« Reply #21 on: 02/04/03 07:52 AM »

I had a HUD on my Aztek.  It was cool, could adjust the brighteness display for both daylight and nighttime driving.  Display had the Pontiac logo at engine startup, and would also show radio/cd info, directional, speed.

It was a nice feature.  I think they use to put it in Grand Prix's.

:o :o  You had an Aztek?   :o :o

Just kidding!

I have a HUD on my Grand Prix GTP, and love it!  I really missed it on my Chevy/GMC trucks.  I wish it was an option on the Av.  I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat!

Mike
2007 Black Silverado Vortec Max!  :)

2005 Black Z71,  traded in 08/2007
2003 Black Z71, traded in 4/30/05

NRA Life Member

Texasex

Heads Up Display
« Reply #22 on: 02/04/03 09:58 AM »

Yeah, the people who have had HUD seem to love it.  The windshield itself runs $250 more than your standard shield.  I actually installed a non HUD for a fella who could not afford the cost of a repalcement unit!!, he just ended up turning down the display be cause it was so ??? garbled ???.
02, Z71,Summit White, K&N Induction, Amber DRL, Full Time DRL, Pioneer DEH 8400 HU, Drawtite Window Air Deflectors, ES Bushings, Pinstriped, AV Visor Mod, Sail Panel Windows

Brick76

Heads Up Display
« Reply #23 on: 02/04/03 10:17 AM »

Texasex,

You should tell your buddy about the reflective sticker that Midlifecrisis mentioned earlier in this thread for the HUD from JP Customs.  Then he might be able to use his HUD again on the non-HUD replacement glass.

Texasex

Heads Up Display
« Reply #24 on: 02/04/03 11:04 AM »

Texasex,

You should tell your buddy about the reflective sticker that Midlifecrisis mentioned earlier in this thread for the HUD from JP Customs.  Then he might be able to use his HUD again on the non-HUD replacement glass.
:B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :

Unfortunately, this would open up a liability issue in our litigation happy world.  The insurance companies have what is known as a critical viewing area.  As an approved vendor for all major carriers, I am unable to violate this criteria , ie.. perform repairs or affix anything on the glass in that area.  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 24 queries.