• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Heads Up Display

farmguy

Silent Avalanche RIP
SM 2005
I see where JP Customs is offering an add on HUD are a real good price. (150). Has anyone installed one yet? If so, how do you like it? Any install problems?
H.U.D.

farmguy said:
I see where JP Customs is offering an add on HUD are a real good price. (150). Has anyone installed one yet? If so, how do you like it? Any install problems?
H.U.D.
I have one, trying to get pix - really nice for night driving ;D

The PDF install instructions make it look pretty simple.
Boar-ral from the Alberta chapter has ordered one. We hope to install it at a meet, giving the rest of us a one up on the process.

Cool I would like to get one. One question though does this work with a dash mat? ???

Adam

AtomTaz said:
Cool I would like to get one. ?One question though does this work with a dash mat? ???

Adam
What is a "dash mat", I have been leading a sheltered life. The unit can sit on top of the dash or be embedded in it [easier said than done].

I might have spelled it wrong. Sometimes i wish there is a spell check in this thing cause spelling is the thing I'm horrible at. Maybe you know them as dash covers. They cover your dash to keep it from getting damaged.

Adam

If you are talking about the fold up reflective things, yes, it would probably damage it unless you counter sunk it into the dash.

I love this option in the Vettes. Very jet like. I think I will wait to hear the verdict from fellow members though. It's on my want list though.

I had a HUD on my Aztek. It was cool, could adjust the brighteness display for both daylight and nighttime driving. Display had the Pontiac logo at engine startup, and would also show radio/cd info, directional, speed.

It was a nice feature. I think they use to put it in Grand Prix's.

I'd love to have a HUD, but....

IMHO - after seeing the picture on the website, the unit sitting on the dashboard look like an eyesore. Plus I don't like the fact that you have to place something on the windshield to reflect the info back to the driver. And how would you control the brightness of the unit? Would you have to reach all the way to the display on the dash? Has anybody done this install on an Av or other vehicle?

The control unit is separate and mounts on the knee nocker under the steering wheel [or close] - it controls the intensity.

As to the unit on the dash, it can be "counter sunk" into the dash with a little effort.

That is cute, but seems like it would get obnoxious after time. Anybody who has one care to comment? ???

(y)
HUD is awesome! I have it on my Grand Prix and I hate driving without it now. It took all of about seconds to get used to. Now I look for it every time I drive my truck. I will definitely have to add this to the Av.

gandolphxx said:
What is a "dash mat", I have been leading a sheltered life....

Gandolphxx,

moving from south Texas myself, I had not heard of these until we had settled in Arizona.

These are on about 75% of the vehicles here, to help keep the sun from baking the dash when outside.

A link for your review:
Dash Mat

I really, really, really, really wish there was a mod for the Pontiac style system installed on the Avalanche. Having direction, speed, and radio data on the display IMHO is a big safety benefit. Don't have to look down or up to get this data so eyes are on the road.

I decided not to go with the JP Customs solution (sorry Jason) because of some of the issues outlined here. However I really wish I could have a HUD in the Avalanche. Anyone care to engineer a solution using the Pontiac parts? ;D

Chief said:
I really, really, really, really wish there was a mod for the Pontiac style system installed on the Avalanche. ?Having direction, speed, and radio data on the display IMHO is a big safety benefit. ?Don't have to look down or up to get this data so eyes are on the road.

I decided not to go with the JP Customs solution (sorry Jason) because of some of the issues outlined here. ?However I really wish I could have a HUD in the Avalanche. ?Anyone care to engineer a solution using the Pontiac parts? ? ;D

The C5 Corvettes from 1999-present are also an option. My 99' vette has it and it works great. Although radio controls are not part of the feature of the HUD in the vette as current

"D-man" (HUD..... Hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm)

Hmmmmmmmm, this whole issue is somewhat confusing. The true HUD requires a specific windshield application, the glass itself must contain a reflective element contained within the PVB layer between the glass layers. The Avalanche windshield, which is the same as the Escalade and the Silverados, among others, does NOT come with this option. :rolleyes:

Texasex said:
Hmmmmmmmm, this whole issue is somewhat confusing. ?The true HUD requires a specific windshield application, the glass itself must contain a reflective element contained within the PVB layer between the glass layers. ?The Avalanche windshield, which is the same as the Escalade and the Silverados, among others, does NOT come with this option. ? :rolleyes:

:C: :C: :C: :C: :C: :6:

Scubarex said:
I had a HUD on my Aztek. ?It was cool, could adjust the brighteness display for both daylight and nighttime driving. ?Display had the Pontiac logo at engine startup, and would also show radio/cd info, directional, speed.

It was a nice feature. ?I think they use to put it in Grand Prix's.

:eek: :eek: You had an Aztek? :eek: :eek:

Just kidding!

I have a HUD on my Grand Prix GTP, and love it! I really missed it on my Chevy/GMC trucks. I wish it was an option on the Av. I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat!

Mike

Yeah, the people who have had HUD seem to love it. The windshield itself runs $250 more than your standard shield. I actually installed a non HUD for a fella who could not afford the cost of a repalcement unit!!, he just ended up turning down the display be cause it was so ??? garbled ???.

Texasex,

You should tell your buddy about the reflective sticker that Midlifecrisis mentioned earlier in this thread for the HUD from JP Customs. Then he might be able to use his HUD again on the non-HUD replacement glass.

Texasex,

You should tell your buddy about the reflective sticker that Midlifecrisis mentioned earlier in this thread for the HUD from JP Customs. Then he might be able to use his HUD again on the non-HUD replacement glass.
:B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :B: :

Unfortunately, this would open up a liability issue in our litigation happy world. The insurance companies have what is known as a critical viewing area. As an approved vendor for all major carriers, I am unable to violate this criteria , ie.. perform repairs or affix anything on the glass in that area.

Back