• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Stupid question?

02BLACKZ714X4

I live in CA where maybe the concept of having a 4X4 is a joke but since I bought my truck used it's not like I intended to have it. 

Anyway, I thought I'd put the question out there specifically for 4X4 experienced drivers to help me with.  What is four wheel drive specifically intended for?  Is it strictly off road use or are there definite benefits in certain on road conditions?

I put my truck in Auto 4X4 when it's raining and it seems to help prevent me from skidding on the white lines and in cornering.  I would think that this is a definite plus but what about when the road is dry?  On the other hand, most vehicles aren't four wheel drive and rain doesn't stop most people from having to go to work so there's plenty of two wheel drive vehicles doing perfectly fine out in the rain.  The manual doesn't really cover it and I've never had a 4X4 before so I just don't know.

Since I'm on the subject, I also have a question about the tow/haul mode.  Is this to be used strictly when towing a trailer or could it be used anytime?  My father in law asked why I don't use it on the city streets religiously to prevent unnecessary downshifting.  I didn't have an answer for him.  I've also heard of people driving around city streets in 3 rather than Drive.  Is this any different?  Is my father in law correct in his usage of two/haul when not towing anything?

???

Thanks for all input.

4 WHEEL DRIVE -Engage prior to leaving the pavement any time going onto a surface that you possibly might get stuck. (engaging after you get stuck not as good). :rolleyes:

leaving roadway into sand, mud, stone or gravel, crossing water. Flooded underpasses

I live on the East coast and when we get a Noreaster summer Lot of rain Fast; I use auto Track.
In winter lot of snow I use 4 high. on Steep Grades (I mean steep) 30 deg + Use 4 low.

The tow haul changes shift points and shift Firmness when pulling loads.

Hope this helps. SRFnSNO 

Tow-haul also hurts gas milage by raising shift points(higher RPMs=more gas) that's why I hate reviews in trailer boater magazine when they complain about milage but always use tow-haul.
By the way some times it's a lot dumber not asking the questions.

Hi for off road,gravel roads,snow, mud.  a low traction surface which allows the inside tires to slip on

4 low. same thing only much more gear reduction

auto 4 w.d. is for irregular traction surfaces such as snow covered road with bare wet spots etc.  This info is from the owners manual, I have replaced MANY front diffs in these things and every one i replace i ask if it has been driven in auto 4wd. almost all yes.  This is just my observation and my 2 cents!!

Did these people drive exclusively in Auto 4WD or just occasionally?  I'm assuming that a "bare wet spot" would be a section or road that is simply wet as opposed to dry or covered in snow?  If this is true then that would be any road surface during a rain storm right? 

Currently I only use AUTO when the roads are obviously saturated in water, I tend to turn it back to 2HI once they start to dry out.  So far I've never used 4HI or 4LO.  I'd like to make sure I'm not causing damage by using a feature I either don't need to use or don't know how to use. 

My mother in law's S-10 doesn't even have an AUTO setting so for her it's all or nothing, then again she lives in Indy where it snows so she has a greater need for 4WD regardless.  She uses 4HI in the snow but if she had an AUTO setting would it be better for her to use it instead?

Hi new to the forum but in no way new to offroading or the Avalanche, If you live in southern CA I would recommend never using auto 4wd while driving on surface streets, as for 4LO only ONLY use it when your going to crawl slowly with your vehicle and 4hi wont cut it, 4lo is nearly never needed in so cal and it will run your fluids very hot and cause dmg.? I never go into 4hi til im off the paved surface mostly out of habit, you dont want your tires all fighting eachother except if your diffs are stock you have a limited slip in the rear and open in the front so they wont be doing this anyhow so you can go into 4hi before going off pavement if your not sure of the surface off the road.?

P.S. Where in CA do you live, im in Corona

ZJAvyDriver said:
Hi new to the forum but in no way new to offroading or the Avalanche, If you live in southern CA I would recommend never using auto 4wd while driving on surface streets, as for 4LO only ONLY use it when your going to crawl slowly with your vehicle and 4hi wont cut it, 4lo is nearly never needed in so cal and it will run your fluids very hot and cause dmg.? I never go into 4hi til im off the paved surface mostly out of habit, you dont want your tires all fighting eachother except if your diffs are stock you have a limited slip in the rear and open in the front so they wont be doing this anyhow so you can go into 4hi before going off pavement if your not sure of the surface off the road.?

P.S. Where in CA do you live, im in Corona

Brett
2002 custom long travel Z71

131_0509_chev_01_plz.jpg

:welcome: Nice Av too!!!

Straight from the manual.... page 2-36/37 in the 2005 owners manual pdf from Chevrolet.  I can honestly say that I have followed this type of driving for several years and have yet to have it fail me.  Some times I try to pit my driving skills against mother nature and run in 2hi till I can go anymore then use 4x4 to get me out.

AUTO 4WD
This setting is ideal for use when road
conditions are variable. When driving your vehicle
in AUTO 4WD, the front axle is engaged, but the
vehicle?s power is sent only to the rear wheels. When
the vehicle senses a loss of traction, the system
will automatically engage four-wheel drive. Driving in
this mode results in slightly lower fuel economy
than 2HI.
G(4HI): Use the 4HI position when you need extra
traction, such as on snowy or icy roads or in most
off-road situations.

This setting also engages your front
axle to help drive your vehicle. This is the best setting
to use when plowing snow.
2-36
5(4LO):
? This setting also engages your front axle
and delivers extra torque. You may never need this
setting. It sends maximum power to all four wheels.
You might choose 4LO if you are driving off-road in
deep sand, deep mud, deep snow and climbing or descending
steep hills.

Four-wheel drive vehicles with StabiliTrak?
will not engage in this mode.

I will tell you from experience, never EVER use 4LO unless your crawling along at a snails pace (great to keep you from flying down a steep offroad hill), or you just need it to get yourself out of being really stuck and 4HI wont work.  You run all your fluids to their boiling points and warp your head and cherry your manifold if you use it any other way.  If your in deep sand or mud just air down your tires, make a bigger foot print.  Hell I run 2hi in the deep sand until I actually need 4hi.  Ive never needed 4Lo in the avy, totally different story in my Jeep.  4LO is nice for rock crawling, downhill.

I've only used 4 lo once while in 2 ft. of snow. Worked out great but that's when I found out there was a problem with my 4 lo staying in 4 lo. AV was still under warranty and the dealer took care of it when I got back to town.

I use auto 4 when it's raining and the roads get just a little slippery. I live in the Hill Country in TX so it helps a lot when traversing the curves and back roads.

Other than that, I never take it out of 2 Hi.

Tow/Haul switch usually holds the shift points a little longer. Which explains why gas mileage will be a little worse. I have used mine when going up the mountain in Colorado which helped keep the truck from shifting back and forth every two seconds.

Hope that helps and don't worry, I've asked some even dumber questions.

IMHO by the time you are stuck bad enough to need 4 lo, its not gonna do you much good. Just speaking from experience, but I have never gotten stuck in 4 hi and then been able to get out in 4 lo.

I used 4lo for the occasional rock crawling or moving my trailer around off-road.  4hi for really bad raod conditions, auto for spotty snow/ice conditions.  You can tell the difference when the roads are really icey.  4lo is also handy for towing stuck rigs out of the ditch or such, much less strain to your tranny.  I also use it to back the trailer up the driveway since reverse is the same ratio as second.

Probably hit 4wd once a month during the summer and once a week in the winter.

Also if, you made insane power, you could launch at the drag strip in 4wd to prevent wheel spin.  (Need some mods before this is worthwhile).

The tow haul mode helps save the trans when towing because of changing the shift points with the extra drag weight. All auto transmissions have a certain amount of slippage built in as they shift to make it more comfortable to the driver. That is why shift kits installed in the trans shift harder because of less slippage. All slippage builds heat and excessive heat is death to a trans. The better the shift point and fresher the fluid and cooler it runs then the better it is for an auto trans. The tow haul mode changing the shift points will help with the heat that builds up when shifting especially when hauling loads. It is just not needed when driving without a load. My $.02.

Back