• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Everything about tire chains, cables, straps, and traction devices

midlifecrisis

Charter Member
SM 2003
Edit by brmiller:

The topic of chains and other traction devices is continually discussed come wintertime. Thsi thread unifies all the discussions into one place. Some reference base 2WD, some Z66, and others specify 4WD issues. Please read everything before posting a new question, and please add on to this topic where it fails to answer new questions.

NOTE: MATTRACKS have been mentioned many, many times with regard to snow alternatives. All discussions and "discoveries" have can be found in the MATTRACKS: Ultimate Off-Road Accesory Thread

-Brendan

Can anybody tell me how their Z66 2WD model Av is working in inclement weather? Here in NJ we don't get too much snow, and I don't do any off-roading, so the Z66 package makes sense for me.

I love my Z-66 as well. In Louisiana, we've never seen snow but live with lots of rain. Traction and handling are superb! I also take it through the woods off road and it performs like a champ! The real reason I got the Z-66, however, is that I frequently take customers out and the "touring package" ride of the Z-66 cannot be beat.

I have to agree... I seldom leave the road but when I had my Silverado, I would take it in the Sierra's and although I did get stuck a few times, there was always someone with a 4X4 to pull me out. After having my Avalanche for only 4 months (Oct 16th) I still am loving it more each day. I was wondering if I would be sorry that I did not go with the 4X4 but for the money and less maint. I think I made the right choice for me. The ride in my Z66 is even better than my extended cab Silverado was. There you have it... Can't be beat in Louisiana... Can't be beat in California.

This is the Z66 lovefest thread! :-*

I can't comment on the handling in the ice and snow, I just broke it in! But, I hope to in the next few weeks when my SkiChevy tickets come in for Kirkwood Ski Resort.

The ride of the Z66 is one of the reasons I chose it. I traded in a '97 F150 Extra Cab 4x4 and there's no comparison. In fact I only put it in 4wd a couple of times over a couple of years, so I didn't want to spring for the Z71 Avy. The Z66 has every thing I need.

BTW, does any one know what type of, if any, chains/cables will fit the Av. ??? There was a thread on another site that showed the danger of using them. (It also says not to use chains in the owners manual).

Rick

The owners manuels says the wheel well is not big enough to install tire chains. They say you can only install them on the 2500 Av which has smaller tires. 245 compare to 265. One guy on another site said he has ordered some from SCS and they did not fit. SCS says they have some that will fit but you have to do trial and error. Check out there web page to get more information. www.scc-chain.com Let us know if you find something that fits. I would like to have some in the truck for emergency.

Ya, some interesting twists in the owners manual. 2500 series Av owners, 2WD or 4WD can use tire chains according to the manual. 4WD models should only use the chains on the rear wheels, never on the front. 2WD 1500 Avalanche owners can also use chains, on the rear wheels only. Ahhhhh, but 1500 4WD owners cannot use chains under any circumstance.

Humpf. State of Washington is funny on tire chains. All vehicles are required to carry, but 4WD owners will never be "ordered" to unless directly by an officer in an emergency. We don't carry chains up to the pass, but I've contemplated buying the cheapest set I can find and throwing them in the back - so if I'm every asked to produce, well here you go (just don't tell me to put 'em on)

Get those cheap chains. They came in handy once in my eleven years of boarding. A group of us were leaving The Summit during a particularly nasty snow storm. The police were turning everyone around and telling them to wait. We decided to try our luck. The office asked if I had any chains. I said Yes. He said show me. I did. He let us go. My friends owed me big time that day. :) Never did have to put the chains on. :)

I am with you guy's. But I have to admit I was wondering about the Z66 performance for mild off road trips. I have checked into it and have receicved alot of feedback and the general consensus is that the Z66 will do fine off road. I live in AZ and we have alot of forest roads. I have now taken it out a few times and it and just like everyone has said.....it is doing GREAT!!!

We had 11 inches of snow in Jan and I was able to go all over town. I use to have a c1500 w/t with a locking dif and the AV was 100% better. The fun was not letting the traction assit come on, it only came on 5-7 times in hours of fun.

NC, Blue AV Z66

Rick:

As for chains, let me give you the update I got from SCC. I originally posted my findings with SCC Super Z LT chians here: No Luck with SCC Chains

I got a reply from "Bart" at SCC suggesting to try the "Z-Chain". This is a different model that is supposed to sit higher on the tire, thereby avoiding the close clearance with brake lines and other sundry wheel parts on the Avalanche, Suburban, and Tahoe. Unfortunately, by the first of March, folks here in the Willamette Valley (Oregon) decided that it wasn't snow season any more, and no one carries chains. At least not a wide variety. So I'll look into it next season.

If you happen to find some Z-Chains that fit, let us know.

Brendan

I have been told by many people that with the power that the Avy has, most people would not need 4 wheel drive. Having good tires also helps the Avy in poor traction conditions. Of coarse if your in the bog your going to need it. On the flip side, I had a Jeep Cherokee that was four wheel drive but it had touring tires. It was completely useless in the snow, mud, and sand. I guess the moral of the story is to make sure you have the appropriate tires to accomplish the task at hand.

How about a set of cable chains for the K1500's? They wouldn't add much to the O.D. or width and if they did loosen up would do far less damage. GMC said chains wouldn't fit the front of my '92 K2500 but cable chains fit in there ok and were better than nothing.

The Av's pretty good as is . . .

Add cable chains and it will be close to unstoppable!

Traditional chains are the ultimate - with them I've been able to do incredible things with incapable vehicles, but I'll bet the Av doesn't need that much help!

I love the new smileys . . . :B:

Some of the places I bowhunt in December get pretty heavy snowfall and become mighty hairy when the Forest Service roads ice up. Most are on steep terrain with big drop-offs. Everyone is in a 4x4 and most of them are chained -up on all fours. In the past I have winched out more than a couple of guys from the ditch (not to mention myself). I'll be getting the best cables I can find plus getting the front winch receiver as soon as Warn buids it for the Av. :B:

I read the manual and was shocked. :D:

What in the Hell was GM thinking when they made a four-wheel drive vehicle with wheel wells too small for chains? Someone in Detroit has fecal material for brains.

Are the huge openings for looks only? Guess so.

I truly love the Avalanche, but I hunt and need chains. If I had known the AV was incapapable of using chains, I surely would not have bought one.

I'll try chains anyway - back only.

Don't look now, the Green weenies are winning.

Steve

I had a set of the SCC SHUR GRIP Z cables for my '93 SSEi and if they'd fit in that application, I'd have no hesitation putting them on my Av and probably will here in Iowa this year. Here's the selection available from their site...

http://www.scc-chain.com/products.htm

They're easy to put on (a little messy though) and they SAY not to go over 30 mph with them on.... ;)

Owner's manual says not to use tire chains because of the limited fender room. Is that true?

On my Av, there is a good 6-8 inches (estimate, I've not measured) between the tire and the wheel well. Looks like there should be plenty of room for tire chains.

Somebody out there MUST have used them??

Actually dear brother, if you read the Book of Avalanche, Chapter 6, verse 52 it states the following:

I say unto you do not enslave my 1500 series in chains as this is a great offense to me. Wear not shackles or other devices as this may rub my feet and cause great harm to me. Ye if you musteth use devices to helpeth me across the frozen wastes that you must travel use other things - but don't use chains.

But I say to you that the 2500 series is a brute. If you must chain then only chain the feet and not the hands - as this will offend me in mine site.

If you chaineth me and chaineth me wrong - than there will be shredding of flesh and great weeping to follow.

So sayeth the good book...

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/resources/owners_manual.htm

Section 6 - page 52

Now from the other side >:D - if you put chains on the rear you change the effective diameter of the rear tires, not real good to do in 4x4 mode, a tad rough on the front differential.

Cheers

There is another thread going on tire chains, I started. Even though the 2500 is a bruit, you can use chains since it has smaller diameter tires. The 1500 probably has a problem with the front tires when you turn left or right. It looks tight to me.

I didn't investigate front fitment, but last winter I attempted to use SCC ShurGrip Z chains on the rear, I ran into problems with the brake lines. Yes, the brake lines. Apparantly, Tahoes and Suburbans have similar issues. SCC is taking the issue on with Chevrolet, but who knows.

I know there are other chain manufacturers, but I've had good luck in close quarters with SCC, so I tried them.

Here's a webpage I put up documenting my experience and the SCC response:

http://www.kudzuforest.com/avalanche/chains/scc-no-deal.html

I didn't ever try the Super Z LT chains ('cause I couldn't find them), nor did I attempt fitment in the front.

If you were to chain up on a 4x4, is it the recommendation to chain up on all four wheels? Typically, you use just the drive wheels (front or rear), but I guess if you're gonna be in 4HI or 4LO, you should do all four?

Anyway, another datapoint on the map.

Brendan

brmiller said:
If you were to chain up on a 4x4, is it the recommendation to chain up on all four wheels? ?Typically, you use just the drive wheels (front or rear), but I guess if you're gonna be in 4HI or 4LO, you should do all four?
This has been an ongoing controversy in off road circles for years. Many people opt for chaining up the front first. Several years ago one of the magazines had an in depth story on this. They recommended chaining the rears if you were only going to chain one pair. One reason they cited was that on the majority of 4x4's, at least when the article was written, drove the fronts at a slightly faster rate. They claimed that handling would be better with the chains out back due to this and front/rear weight distribution (squirrely rear end). Of course 2 pair would be twice as good.
I bow hunt during the late season in the mountains of Washington State during November and December. There can be a lot of snow and ice on the Forest Service roads and the switchbacks get real treacherous after dark when things refreeze. My '93 K2500 didn't have enough room for chains up front either. I bought light weight cables for the front just in case, but with heavy chains on the back (and a winch ;)) I never had to use them. Just about everyone else I would see though was chained on all fours. I sincerely wish GM would address this issue on there 4x4's.

I remember reading in the Owner's Manual that if you must use chains, to install them on the rear tires.

RoarinRow said:
I remember reading in the Owner's Manual that if you must use chains, to install them on the rear tires.
Thanks, Roarin'--I knew I'd seen that somewhere and didn't just make it up--that's why I went for the rears first.

Brendan

Back