Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/30/14 08:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Brand of Transmission Filter  (Read 3971 times)
Durwin
Charter Member

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« on: 06/26/06 09:53 PM »

Good Evening,
I'd like a few opinons as to who makes the best transmission filter out there. There is a lot of competition in oil filters, but if a transmission dies, it's pretty expensive. I'd like to buy a very good transmission filter because it's cheap insurance especially when a service is every 30-50k miles. Amsoil does not make one and neither does K&N.

On this next service I'm going to have a Mag Hytec pan installed a few quarts of synthetic Dextron, might as well spend some more money...
Ideas?
Durwin

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500
Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
MyBigToy

Too much power is just enough!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 06/27/06 04:47 AM »

I haven't looked at the tranny filter for the Avalanche, but most are pretty simple.

The inside of the filter is almost like a piece of tissue paper that's folded over. Any debris gets trapped in-between the folded over layers of "filter media". I've never heard anyone mention differences in filters. I'd just get a new one and not worry about it.

2002 LPM Z71 - Magnacharger w/3" pulley, TOG's headers, 216/224-.551/.551-115 cam/pushrods/dual springs/titanium retainers, built tranny, Yank TT2600 converter, 24K GVW Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Flex-A-Lites, ProCold intake, MSD wires & TR6 plugs, 20" Panther Juice 6's, 2.8" rear lowering springs, J&J Enterprises stainless grille, body-color taillight covers, custom metal rear step bumper. Self-tuned with HP Tuners software.

Daily driver: 2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i w/Special Appearance Pkg
AVLT05

I love the Chevy Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 06/27/06 07:55 AM »

I like AC/Delco transmission filters. On visual inspection they appear more substantial than most.
kgt

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 06/27/06 06:16 PM »

Oem, can't go wrong.
msdinsp
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

I Love My Avalanche & the USA

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 06/27/06 06:28 PM »

biggest killer of tranny is heat, I'd worry more about adding a cooler.

'07, LT3, just started modding, rear window glasscape, bedslide, Line of Fire, Westin Bullbar, Bugshield, window vent visors, hard wired radar detector, 100 Watt driving lights, black rubber floor mats, LTZ console, molded splash guards. Debadged, then rebadged with patriotic decals(bowtie, Chevrolet on tailgate, Avalanche on doors). Train Horns! 2.5" leveling kit & 3"body lift
More to come for sure!
SamHouseIII
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

mmm!! mmm!! Good!!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 06/27/06 08:22 PM »

I reccomend AC/Delco too, Nothing like a perfect fit. Hate when you buy stuff they say yeah its for that vehicle and does not fix correct.

Sam

Commitment, Integrity, Results!!

Don't knock road kill till you try it!!

Durwin
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 06/27/06 10:02 PM »

Thanks folks for all of the input. I do appreciate it. I'll go with the aftermarket deep pan and the Amsoil synthetic fluid. My Av came with the cooler and guage. I just didn't like it going to 195.
Durwin

Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
Vulcan

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 06/30/06 12:21 AM »

Good Evening,
I'd like a few opinons as to who makes the best transmission filter out there. There is a lot of competition in oil filters, but if a transmission dies, it's pretty expensive. I'd like to buy a very good transmission filter because it's cheap insurance especially when a service is every 30-50k miles. Amsoil does not make one and neither does K&N.

On this next service I'm going to have a Mag Hytec pan installed a few quarts of synthetic Dextron, might as well spend some more money...
Ideas?
Durwin

wow i got 70k on my avy and havent changed it, i dont like anyone doing mechanical work on my baby since there are a lot of shady shops out there.  is it hard to change? is there any guides? what do i need to prolong the tranny? i was thinking of getting a tranny cooler from stylin concepts, it was a 4 row one. any help would be appreaciated thanks!  chevy
wrench115

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 08/19/06 12:01 PM »

OEM is the best IMO. Also do yourself a HUGE favor. DO NOT USE the cheap after market cork gaskets. Even when torqued properly they split and leak.
Durwin
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 08/20/06 11:35 AM »

Hello everyone,
I didn't even know that this tread was still going.
Earlier this month I had a transmission flush done with synthetic Amsoil ATF and Wix filter and had an aftermarket Mag-Hytec deep tranny pan installed. The transmission runs cooler now.
It's always great to do maintenance.
Durwin

Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
Corndog Man

What about the horizontal rod holders?

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: 08/26/06 12:50 PM »

I used the AC filter. It's alll I use though on all my cars.

Corndog

2004 Black Z-71
INresponse
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Remember when people used to be proud of America?

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 09/04/06 11:40 PM »

wow i got 70k on my avy and havent changed it, ......... what do i need to prolong the tranny?

All the recommendations I hear are change the filter/fluid every 30,000 miles.

Best prevention there is.  If you are towing or driving lots of hills a trans cooler will be good.  As far as which one, read what is advertised, look them over and choose the one that makes you happy in your price range.

Born On Date: 9-8-01
2002 Z71 Avalanche, 5.3  ATI Procharger with intercooler, custom cold air intake, HP Tuners, 4.10 gears (formerly 3.73), Fire and Ice light bar, Patriotic emblems, US Speedo stainless face plate, Patriotic 3rd brake light decal, Refinish Restorer, Additional GM trans cooler, Manic stainless brush guard, 160,000+ miles, and a big brother named RAMalicious.
Durwin
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 09/13/06 08:04 AM »

There was an earlier post about a cork gasket. The 2500's have a reusable rubber gasket. Are the 1500's the same. The synthetic fluid is great. It lowered my trans temp 10 degrees.
Durwin

Indigo Blue Metallic
Graphite
Sacramento California
Mdz66

I love my 1st and only Z-66 Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 10/01/06 09:02 PM »

No, the 1500 use a throw away gasket.   Adding a OEM cooler will drop trans temp on a 1500 about 40 degrees towing  nothing.    While towing 5000 pounds of camper I have never saw more than 180 and that was near 100 degrees that day.    The filter is way more than a screen. 

02 Forest Green Z-66, Medium Cloth, Grille Gaurd, K&N Cold Air Kit, Gibson Stainless Sport Truck Cat-Back, Tube Side Steps, Silver Stars , Full-Time Amber Drls, 10In Flip Down Monitor, Bose Dvd, Green Underbody Kit, Functional Ram Air Hood, Forest, Green Bowtie, Billet Grill, Mountain Decal In Back Window,  Red Brake Calipers, Aux Tranny Cooler, D&S Rotors
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: