• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How to paint vent visors and bow ties

hpnotic

:help: I have pretty much read through every page in this section and haven't seen anything on painting your vent visors or bow ties to color match your truck.  I've seen a lot of great looking bow ties and a few color matched vent visors but no instructions on how to do them yourself.  I figure it would be a great thing to do over the 4th of July holiday this weekend.  Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Buy clear ventvisors and bugshields and go to town, shouldn't be hard at all if you've rattle canned before.  I had to do the oposite and paint the outside, big paint in the bum.

Yndio

for vent visor or bug deflector...

buy clear ones...

Paint back side with color of your choice... and you are done...

For bowties...
sand lightly... paint what ever colors or design you like or add decal on top...
then spray with clearcoat

All the paints can be bought at local autoparts store in spray cans...

As for the vent visors.. Just scuf them up a little and Paint.. They don't think they make clear ones anymore.

Painting the vent visors you have to buy clear ones and paint the back side after taping the front side with masking tape. ?Before painting, wipe down the back side with pre-cleaner.  Naturally this works for bug shields also.

First off, thanks for putting out this thread.  :love:  Second, where can I find the clear vent visors and bugshields at.  I haven't checked everywhere but i think this will help save on gas and phonetag?  I have an 07' Summit White LT3.  Just some interesting questions.  Is painting just the back good enough in the long run?  Will time and improper upkeep (washing, off-road, or a tons of bugs) cause the visors and shield to turn to that dirty clear color which in turn will make them look a different color than your vehicle?  Would throwing a coat or two on the topside of them have any advantages or disadvantages.  You know just to aid in keeping the plastic from turning brown and dingy looking due to the elements (if they do turn colors over time).  Even if the top gets scratched it still wont really show anything since the backside is showing through, right?

enkei has a hook up on the 07 clear bug shield.

I think the clear vent visors are a thing of the past. I have the body shop shoot the exterior of the black tinted ones now. Comes out mint. Should have my Sunburst orange ones back on Thursday, I'll post a few picks when they arrive. 

I couldn't find any clear vent visors :mad: so I'm going to try to paint some tinted ones that I have.  It's probably going to be a pain, but if it turns out well it will be worth it.  Once I start I'll post pics of the process and how it turns out.

why not paint the black ones?  Would be the same as the bowtie...right?

Only my bug shield was clear before it was painted.  My ventvisors were smoked and just painted over.  You don't have to worry about rock chips with the ventvisors like you do the bug shield because they aren't on the front. 

Attachments

• Avalanche12.jpg
    Avalanche12.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 342
  • Avalanche13.jpg
    Avalanche13.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 342
Bigntall1 said:
Only my bug shield was clear before it was painted.? My ventvisors were smoked and just painted over.? You don't have to worry about rock chips with the ventvisors like you do the bug shield because they aren't on the front.?

Looks good up close.  can you take one from a ways back?

If you can't find the clear ones and you are worried about chips, maybe you can just buy the smoked ones and paint them.  You could then apply some of that 3m clear film that people use to protect the front ends of their cars.

I just read the do it yourself painted bowtie method that someone had a link to in this forum but it was a 2 year old thread so i thought id ask it in here. I want to paint my bowtie just a solid red kinda the color of the red avalanches that i like. Is the gold paint on the stock bowtie on the underside or on the top followed by clear coat. If i paint it do i paint the entire outside or paint on the backside of the bowtie. I havent taken mine off yet to see how it works so sorry if im askin a bunch of dumb questions.

butterfingarz said:
I just read the do it yourself painted bowtie method that someone had a link to in this forum but it was a 2 year old thread so i thought id ask it in here. I want to paint my bowtie just a solid red kinda the color of the red avalanches that i like. Is the gold paint on the stock bowtie on the underside or on the top followed by clear coat. If i paint it do i paint the entire outside or paint on the backside of the bowtie. I havent taken mine off yet to see how it works so sorry if im askin a bunch of dumb questions.

that gold glossy crap is on the back side of it, it reminds me of the stuff that is on a cd. the reason i call it crap is b/c  it is flakin off...

my question is where can i get some blank emblems cheap?

BigNTall....

That looks SCHWEET man. My visors are smoke, so I think I will leave them alone. Yours look nice.

Back