• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Deep Tranny Pan or Not?

pktwatch

SM 2012
SM 2011
SM 2010
SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2004
SM 2003
While calling around today looking for a tranny filter and gasket set I keep getting ask if it has a DEEP PAN.........how do I tell? Will the VIN tell me? What are the measurements of the DEEP PAN and the not so deep pan?

UPDATED:

The deep pan measures 2 7/8" deep

The shallow pan measures 2 1/4"

Are there any brands of tranny filters to avoid?

What about tranny fluid, are the cheap store brands ok as long as they are Dextron III?

Mine is a 2002 Z66 if that matters...........

Thanks, Butch

The great thing about this club is that if you're thinking of doing a certain mod or are wondering about a particular topic, chances are someone else is too...

I have an 02 Avalanche. Since I started using synthetic transmission fluid last year, the transmission runs cooler.(200 vs 190 now.) It ran hotter with the GM supplied fluid that had been in it previously. The only draw back is that a lot of people do not want to pay the additional cost for the synthetic. Technically, the fluid will work as long as it meets the Dextron III spec.

I bought an aftermarket transmission pan but have not installed it yet. That pan will take an additional 4 quarts of fluid. To my knowledge, that is the only way to have a need for a deep transmission pan filter. Otherwise, I think that they are all the standard capacity. As far as the filter goes, my advice would be to stay away from Fram. I haven't trusted them since the Dodge Diesel incidents.... A good filter would be Hastings. Too bad K/N or Amsoil doesn't make one. There are also some websites where people cut them apart to see how well they're made.

By the way, I'm having the opposite issue from you.I'm trying to find a filter for this deep transmission pan and all the "parts pros" are finding is usually the TF144 part number which is for the regular-depth application.
Durwin

Hey durwin, how exactly do you do the flush to switch to synthetic?  I sell it so obviously I can ge the fluid at a decent price, but I don't like their answer about doing the flush yourself.  Did you just take it to a place and have them do it, how much did you bring?  Thanks in advance.

Durwin said:
I bought an aftermarket transmission pan but have not installed it yet. That pan will take an additional 4 quarts of fluid. To my knowledge, that is the only way to have a need for a deep transmission pan filter. Otherwise, I think that they are all the standard capacity. ...........
Durwin

That is what I would have thought. The parts places have all ask if it was a deep or standard pan................so I guess there are two different ones on the 1500 Avalanche.

Butch

Here are two that the O'Riley's website lists:

WIX - Automatic Transmission Filter Kit 

Part No: 58607 
  1 Per Vehicle 
  1 year limited warranty 
  4L60E 
  DEEP PAN 
  V8 
  5.3L ENG 
  T ENG CODE 

--------------------------------------------------------

WIX - Automatic Transmission Filter Kit 

Part No: 58904 
  1 Per Vehicle 
  1 year limited warranty 
  4L60E 
  SHALLOW PAN 
  V8 
  5.3L ENG 
  T ENG CODE

--------------------------------------------------

These both came up when I put in my 2002 Z66. Wix filters used to have a good reputation, anyone know about these?

Butch

You know I sell amsoil so I figured I would see what they say to see if I can help get an answer.  It lists both deep and shallow also.  I tried, but sorry.  No answer yet. 

Prime Power said:
You know I sell amsoil so I figured I would see what they say to see if I can help get an answer.? It lists both deep and shallow also.? I tried, but sorry.? No answer yet.?

THANKS! I am sure you could go measure it if needed but I have no idea what those measurements should be. There must be a way to tell by model or VIN or something..........

Butch

2wd gets shallow pan,4x4 gets deep pan,the difference is only about 3/8 of an inch,the gasket is the same the only diff. is the length of the neck on the filter.

jimbo53188 said:
2wd gets shallow pan,4x4 gets deep pan,the difference is only about 3/8 of an inch,the gasket is the same the only diff. is the length of the neck on the filter.

That would make sense, but why do the parts stores still ask after they have put into their computer that I have a 2 wheel drive? Could it be that the Z66 also has the deep pan? I just need to get the correct kit as I am traveling a long way to get it installed. :love:

Butch

Just got to love this site.
Getting ready to change all my fluids out.
Last week got all the Royal purple (Trans,Transfer, Front & Rear Diff, Power steering)
Need to chk if brakes were done when upgraded. If not going to Dot-4

This weekend I was looking for all the miscellaneous Things that I might need.

Thanks for the information; 02 Z71 deep pan And Part #??? ??? ; Z66 BUTCH

SRFNSNO said:
Just got to love this site.
Getting ready to change all my fluids out.
Last week got all the Royal purple (Trans,Transfer, Front & Rear Diff, Power steering)
Need to chk if brakes were done when upgraded. If not going to Dot-4

This weekend I was looking for all the miscellaneous Things that I might need.

Thanks for the information; 02 Z71 deep pan And Part #; Z66 BUTCH

Hmm, I am not sure that I have the correct information yet. My parts store keep asking ME what pan I have. Their records do not show this information.........

Butch

I got asked the same question on mine and I could not answer it?

Sam

If I cannot get a definitive answer soon I will buy BOTH then take the one back that I do not need!

Butch

That would be sweet!
I will be working on it in like 2 weeks(Ride gose in for paint this Fri) so whan I get it back that will be next.

SRFNSNO said:
That would be sweet!
I will be working on it in like 2 weeks(Ride gose in for paint this Fri) so whan I get it back that will be next.

PAINT? What are you doing?

Butch

:jacked: Hood Repair and touch up, Antenna,mirror & gas Cover,rear Diff cover, Tailgate
All color mach and tri-color ghost flames.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,60927.0.html

So now I am gathering every thing needed to Get My fluids Changed out!

Hello,
In answer to your question, I usually take my Avalanche into the dealership to have a transmission fluid done. I have never had an issue with transmission failure after having done a flush, but then again, I've always maintained my vehicle. Plus, if anything does go wrong and it's attributed to the flush, I always have the dealer to blame. This time it's going to have the old Mobil 1 synthetic ATF flushed out and the Amsoil synthetic stuff put in. Plus a Mag Hytec pan.

As far as the 4L60E goes, you might want to ask the Chevy dealer's parts department. I have the 4L85E transmission.
Durwin

i would suggest going to gm as well,they'll use NEW fluid as opposed to the quick change places that use RECYCLED fluid.(yes they do that)as far as the filter if you run the vin# through the dealership they can tell you which pan is in the av. you have

This has been discused many times. The flush is great if you do it early and often. If you are planing on waiting until the recomended 100,000 mile trans service and then do the flush you are making a mistake! The trans has so many little, and I mean little passages that a flush loosens all of the varnish and dirt particals and then they can become lodged in those passages causing trans failure! I have heard of way to many folks having trans failure soon after a flush to go that way. I just have a little over 52,000 on my Avalanche but have done some towing. The fluid looks clean, red and smells normal so I am just changing what is in the pan along with the fliter. I plan on daining the pan a few more times in the near furture, it does have a drain plug.

Now back on topic..........does anyone really know what Avalanches they put the deep pan on?

Butch

OK, here is what I know:

I called the dealer and my 2002 Z66 has the deep pan.  GM part number is: 24208576

I will put these measurements in the first post.............

I have no ideal of what other years/models of Avalanches take the deel or shallow pan.

Butch

Z66 BUTCH said:
OK, here is what I know:

I called the dealer and my 2002 Z66 has the deep pan.? GM part number is: 24208576

I will put these measurements in the first post.............

I have no ideal of what other years/models of Avalanches take the deel or shallow pan.

Butch

Butch,  I know it has been 2 months since this update, but I am just looking now.  Do you have the towing package on your Z66?  Mine is 4x4 and they asked me the same question.  Not sure how I got the right one back then, unless I guessed due to 4x4 and pulling package options.

Reading through I was gonna suggest calling the dealer, but you already did that.

I posted somewhere before about my goof up when changing the filter, which probably equaled a flush.  Bought filter/gasket, installed it and it leaked due to my error on reassembly...drained and dropped it again after a few hours and trip to the parts store, got new filter/gasket....installed gasket and noticed I forgot the filter, got new filter and did it right the third time.  But I figure the drain fill drain came close to flushing out all the old fluid.  :rolleyes:

I think all 2002 Avalanches have the trailer hitch, not sure about a towing package......I did buy the filter kit for the deep pan and it was the correct one.

Butch

Thanks for the info.  Not sure about the trailer hitch.  I ordered mine special through the dealer from the factory and I checked the box for the trailering package.  Maybe this is what most dealers chose when they ordered for the lots.  If both 4x2 and 4x4 models come with the deep pan maybe the trailering package was the reason for the deep pan option.  Not sure, just a thought.

Back