• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

07 Headlight removal instructions with pics

MongoRanger

Ok, here we go!

Tools needed:
small regular screw driver - to help get the pop pins out
7mm and 10mm sockets 1/4" drive is fine
1/4" drive 6" extension
1/4" swivel
1/4" drive ratchet or I used my cordless drill with the extension in the chuck
10mm combo wrench

Time:
50 - 70 minutes

Bulbs:
High Beam: 9005LL
Low Beam: H11
DRL: 3157K
Turn Signal: 3457NAK

Please note that these images are of the driver?s side.  Also, turning the wheel all the way to the right for the driver?s side and left for the passenger?s side helps give you more room to work.

Step 1:
Take out all 6 bolts along the top of the grille.

1.png

Step 2:
Take out the 2 - 7mm screws, 3 push pins, and 2 pop in pins in the wheel well

2.png

Step 3:
Pull the wheel well lining towards the tire and remove the 2 10mm bolts that go up into the fender.  When you remove them the bumper mounting bracket will come out.  Also note that this image shows the location of the 3rd headlight bolt as well as a bumper mounting bracket.

3.png

3a.png

Step 4:
Remove the 3 10mm bolts holding the headlight in.  2 are on top and the third is behind the bumper as shown in the last image.  I found that I was able to pull down on the bumper and use the extension with a swivel to take the 3rd bolt out.

4.png

Step 5:
Pull the entire headlight forward.  You will notice 2 guide pins that go into the fender and a part that snaps in on the inside of the headlight.  Pull it forward just enough to clear those pins and unsnap the inside.

5.png

Step 6:
Pull the inner corner of the headlight out while pushing down on the bumper.  Take care of the snaps along the edge of the headlight as they get caught on the bumper and can scratch it.  TAKE YOUR TIME AND LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE DOING, this is the hardest part.  As you get the inner side of the headlight out rotate the headlight leaving the outside stationary.  The reason for this is the bracket that was held by the 3rd headlight bolt hangs down there.  You have to get the inside of the headlight out then you can move the outside in and clear the top of the headlight and the fender.

6.png

6a.png

Step 7:
Once you have the headlight out, disconnect the wiring harness and remove the headlight.

Step 8:
Change what ever it was you needed to change and put them AMBERS in the DRL's!!

Step 9:
Replace the headlight the same way you took it out.  It seems to go in much easier then it came out. Don?t forget to reconnect the wiring harness!

Step 10:
Repeat steps 2-9 for the other side.

Step 11:
Put everything back together in reverse order.  I suggest testing the lights after you put the 3 10mm headlight bolts back in.  (the same ones you took out in step 4)

Please do not repost this on another site without permission, remember it is copyrighted.

Cool. This is great. Thanks so very much. We will have to check it out on ours. I feel nekkid without ambers on my front. ;D

Great writeup! Glad someone finally figured out the correct way to do this.

A little more time consuming than my "remove the top bolts & rip the skin off your hands" method.  :E: :rolleyes:

I sure hope that you bought those long life bulbs, that is quite a job to change to ambers! Good post!

Butch

Seems that is pretty complicated for something that should be easy...

i mean if you go to dealership for bulb change (some may not be able to do self) they would charge you like 1-2 hours...OUCH...

there has to be better way... or someone slap the designer of the light attachment point...

Maybe this will be on the list of things to fix between the 07 and 08 models, just like there was a lot that changed between the 02's and 03's.

Great writeup though, truck looks sharp!

David

mmdavidw said:
Maybe this will be on the list of things to fix between the 07 and 08 models, just like there was a lot that changed between the 02's and 03's.

Great writeup though, truck looks sharp!

David

Definitely great write up.  :D

You've gotta go through all of that just to change a bulb???????????!!!!!!!!  There is no way GM complicated such a simple process!!!!!!!

Excellent write up and detail BTW.

I think it should be a rule that whoever designs it, should also have to assemble and dissassemble it before the design is approved.  Like the S60 with it's wheel bolts instead of studs/lugs.  You have to hold the wheel in place while trying to start the bolt.  The engineers should all have to be mechanics first.

Tdybr27 said:
My guess is that the same person that designed the headlights on the 07 is the same person that thought of removing the cladding.

:E:
Nope.  This was the same guys that came up with cladding in the first place.  More stuff between the working parts and the parts that need replacement to worry with. ;)

Really nice write-up, Mongo, but shoot,  I could almost replace all of  my front lights (10 in all)  inteh time it took to read your instructions. 

Nice going, GM.

MrJim

:eek:

This writeup so makes me want to run out and buy a 2007 so I can do this AMBER mod. (And put in some HIDs while I am at it!)

JP

Just wondering, What does the owners manual say about bulb replacement and how to do it?

Yes this is a great write up.  Thanks for the detailed info  :love:

Sam

The owners manual says to see your dealer. 

I bet that the engineer that came up with this design also saw his dealer before he made this design, I just don?t think it was his local Chevy dealer.

Back