• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

One-Button Instant Free Mod

TXAVy

SM 2003
Well, for those of us with the right truck it is.

You need to have a 2003 AV (or have added the steering wheel controls to yours) withOUT OnStar. Pressing the OnStar button on the steering wheel (looks like the profile of a man talking) acts as a radio mute button. I found this out by accident while playing with all the buttons. Saves me having to reach for the radio whenever my cell phone rings or when pulling up to a toll or fast food window.

TXAvy,

Did you get your truck without onstar and then add the wheel?

Or can you order the 2003 with dic and no onstar?

What does the rear view mirror look like without the onstar buttons there?
Is it the same as the 2002 rearview mirror with just the compass and temp in it?

Thanks

Anthony

Anyone know if the 2003 steering wheel will work on a 2002 - I like the idea of an ON Star button on the wheel as well as other controls. Are you listening Jason - Let me know what you got on this.

Did you get your truck without onstar and then add the wheel? Or can you order the 2003 with dic and no onstar?
The Steering Wheel Touch Controls are part of both the Driver's Conveniece and Personal Securiy packages. OnStar is part of Personal Security so as long as you get the Driver's Convenience you get the wheel without Onstar. I'm not sure how you play with the DIC if you don't get either of these packages. Perhaps there are buttons on the instrument cluster.

What does the rear view mirror look like without the onstar buttons there? Is it the same as the 2002 rearview mirror with just the compass and temp in it?
I don't have a 2002 to compare to, but my mirror has only 2 large buttons at the bottom labeled "Comp" and "Temp". Both of them seem to do the same thing, turning the mirror Temp/Compass display on and off each time they are pressed.

TexAVfan said:
Anyone know if the 2003 steering wheel will work on a 2002 - I like the idea of an ON Star ?button on the wheel as well as other controls. Are you listening Jason - Let me know what you got on this.

I have been told that the 2002/2003 steering wheel swap is a no go. Most of the guts for the audio controls are in the dash. butI am more than willing to listen to other opinions ;)

I have an '03 WITH OnStar, and the steering wheel controls. I WISH I could kill the OnStar completely (Useless piece of junk...) and use that button to mute my radio. Any thoughts on making that a mute button even on On* equipped Avs? Thanks!

Mike

I WISH I could kill the OnStar completely (Useless piece of junk...) ?

2 Comments
1. Why did you get it?
2. I'm sure you won't dislike it so much if (when) you're involved in a serious accident. When they call your truck to see if you're ok.

Just a thought!
Chris

Response to #1:
I was forced to get ONSTAR because it was part of a convenience package. I'm not signing up after my free year is up. ?I'm thinking of pulling the switches and installing something else in their place. ?;)

Response to #2:
Not saying I won't get in a serious accident, but I've been driving for 26 years and it hasn't happened yet and I'm driving more defensively everyday. ?Its truly amazing....you get older...you get wiser. ? ?:rolleyes:

ps. No offense taken!

Chris Bradburry said:
2 Comments
1. Why did you get it?
2. I'm sure you won't dislike it so much if (when) you're involved in a serious accident. When they call your truck to see if you're ok.

Just a thought!
Chris

No offense taken.

I have NEVER requested OnStar on a vehicle. I used it on my 2000 Tahoe a couple of times, and didn't have much sucess with it (lockouts, and remote vehicle diagnostic).

I was forced into buying it as part of a package. Deleting my convenience package wasn't about to happen, so...I have not signed up for my free year of service. My dealership called me a couple of times to remind me to sign up. No desire.

I have a cell phone. Almost EVERYONE on the road has a cell phone. That's good enough for me.

For $200 a year, just on the "chance" that I'll (or anyone) will have a serious accident...scare-sales tactics don't work very well with me.

Mike

I hear you - I probably will drop mine after the 1st year.

BUT, please don't think that age is a substitute for experience. As an ER doc, I can vouch for that. And besides, you may be the best driver in the world, but don't forget that you're sharing the road with thousands of 16 year olds who just got their license!

Chris

Back