• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How long did your stock AC Delco Battery Last

sso5550

I had to replace the original AC Delco battery last night!  It finally decided to die.  I replaced with the top of the line DieHard, so hopefully I will get a few good years out of this one.  I figured 4 years on a stock battery is not too bad! 

I still have mine. (built June 2001) Althought it's showing signs of dying. I have a slightly used Optima Red Top in the garage waiting to be installed though (came with the project car I bought). It didn't fit in that car and I inquired at a local battery store about the Optima. Seems the one I got is the one for the AV!  :cool:

Mine randomly drained about 8 months after having it...  Dealer replaced it under warranty.

KC_Steve said:
I had to replace the original AC Delco battery last night!? It finally decided to die.? I replaced with the top of the line DieHard, so hopefully I will get a few good years out of this one.? ?I figured 4 years on a stock battery is not too bad!?

That's about how long mine lasted. ?

Yeah, it didn't really surprise me that it went out....  I was just shocked, I have had to replace two batteries within 5 days from each other!!  Go figure!!  I figured with adding the big amp too, I was pulling a lot more power from the battery than before. 

Had to replace original battery this past weekend
7-29-06. Lasted over 4 years. Got the Red Top Optima
800cca.

In Florida I'm happy with anything over three years.

My stock AC Delco one was still good when I traded at almost the three year mark.

I replaced mine about 5 months ago.  I couldn't even have the radio on for over 5 minutes before the thing would die on me!!!!!

Yndio

yndio said:
I replaced mine about 5 months ago.? I couldn't even have the radio on for over 5 minutes before the thing would die on me!!!!!

Yndio

That's where I'm at... more like 8 minutes though. We're talking with the key turned back right? Not running?

Happily plugging along - 4/03 delivery date

BAT said:
That's where I'm at... more like 8 minutes though. We're talking with the key turned back right? Not running?
Yep bro, you might want to go ahead and look into getting a new one.  Another thing is it was making my alarm act up.

Yndio

yndio said:
Yep bro, you might want to go ahead and look into getting a new one.? Another thing is it was making my alarm act up.

Yndio

I already have it... sitting in my garage just waiting for me to put it in.  :2:

My stock battery on my '04 lasted about a year.  The Optima Red I replaced it with has already outlasted it.

The stock battery in the GMC Safari I traded in also only lasted a year.

Still got my original and not showing any signs of going bad (knock on wood or Yaks head >:D). ?Build date of mine July 01 - over 5 yrs ?:eek:

Will replace it with an Optima when it goes though.

Mine was still "OK" after a year, BUT it would not run the head/parking lights for more than just a few minutes (engine off) before dying. It had no reserve capacity but was OK as long as there was no large drain with the engine off.

I upgraded with a Painless Performance Dual Battery Switch system and two Optima Red Tops, 800cca and 1000cca.? :love:

The factory Delco's are well known (and well documented on this site) as to having Reserve Capacity problems.

:B:

Still have my stock battery

Built Aug 2001....
Bought Sept 2001...

Yeah baby!

Knocking on wood right now...hehehe

About 3.5 years.  Then one day I came out to find battery acid all over my garage floor  :E:  All over the battery tray, etc..  That was some nasty acid!

Built in April of 02, mine is starting to show signs of age, if I don't turn off the fuzzbuster, it will go dead over a weekend. 

mine gave out a long time before i replaced it.  It started dying in dec 04 right after I bought the Av.  At STI in Oct 05, I got ragged for keeping my truck running all day....yeah ALL day.  I finally gave in and turned it off.  I had to be jumped within an hour.  I finally replaced it in Dec 05, I think, cant remember. 

I gave my 4 year battery to my brother in july. It had been sitting in the basement since I replaced it with a 78 size red top in february. He put it in his 94 astro van. Still works good.

Back