• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

What psi are your tires inflated to?

SabreXray

SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
I just had to change a flat.  And I checked up on the garage who did the tire repair.  32 psi.  I then checked the other tires, 35 psi (they are stock).  The sticker on the inside of the door says 30 psi. So I lowered all of mine to 30.  What are you guys running in your stock tires?

JP

I am currious why the factory is inflating to 35 psi when the guys who SHOULD know what they are talking about are putting 30 psi as the recomended numbers on the drivers door info panel. (Case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing?)

JP

SabreXray said:
I am currious why the factory is inflating to 35 psi when the guys who SHOULD know what they are talking about are putting 30 psi as the recomended numbers on the drivers door info panel.

The recommended pressure on the door is geared more to achieving a softer, more comfortable ride. Higher pressures, like mine @ 34, are intended to improve gas mileage.

It was probably your dealer who set the tire pressure at 35 though. The factory would have set it to the recommended pressure.

I do quite a bit of towing my horses around, so I normally run mine at about 40 (Bridgestone Revo's).  In the winter when I am not doing so much towing, I fun them @ 35.

37 winter... or when cold out...

35 summer... when scorching....

Above cold in driveway after sitting the night

35 minimum, 40 in the rears when towing.  My Explorer said 26 or 29 or whatever it was, I kept them at 35 and never once had a tire problem. 

Except for the crappy OEM tires that came with it. :laugh:

I'd never go less than 35 for safety and fuel economy.  I do think the door recommendation is for ride quality, but I don't trust it that low. 

i keep my stock goodyears at 40psi max is 44psi. i do alot of highway miles and find keeping it at this psi i get better gas miles.                                 

Stock tires on a 2003 2500 are 50psi on front 80psi on rear. According to the info on the door panel

Brian

I run 40 psi.... tire rating on my Stock 265/70/17 Goodyears is 44 max..... unfortunately this does nothing for my fuel mileage.... hmmm...wonder why... ???

I bought new Goodyears for my AV, and when I checked them, three of the four tires said, 35psi, and one said 44 psi.  I went back and had them replace the one tire.  When I contacted Goodyear about the issue, I stated the sticker on the door to her, and what the tire reads.  She said you should go by what the sticker on the door states.

Brianster said:
I bought new Goodyears for my AV, and when I checked them, three of the four tires said, 35psi, and one said 44 psi. I went back and had them replace the one tire. When I contacted Goodyear about the issue, I stated the sticker on the door to her, and what the tire reads. She said you should go by what the sticker on the door states.
The door is the real deal.  The (stock) tire max (on the tire) has no effect on what pressure you should be driving at.  But hey what do the GM engineers know about GM trucks?

JP

I run my tires at 38 to 40 lbs., have goodyear tires same as stock BUT are the replacement tire they have six ply side wall not two ply like the chev stock tires that come on the Avalanche.
                                                            >:D >:D >:D >:D

i am confused now.  i can't remember what i set mine at after reading all those numbers. :2:

i do know i use whatever PSI is on the sticker in the drivers door jamb.

Tanc Crusher said:
Stock tires on a 2003 2500 are 50psi on front 80psi on rear. According to the info on the door panel

Brian

I did the same on my original Firestones but when I replaced them with Michelin's the ride was very spungy and the rear floated side to side. Took it back to the shop and we tried various PSI's, the best we came up with was 60 PSI F&R, it helped some but still a little uncomfortable :eek:.

Never had probs with Michelin, maybe I got a bad set ???

Back