• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

CANADIAN GATORBACK ISSUES!!! Please Posts your experiences..!!!!!!

NatsCanAv

SM 2004
After attending a couple of GTG in the US last week and our little GTG in Oshawa yesterday,, I found one of the main topics to be the "gatorback" issue! I have yet to speak to or hear of a Canadian Member who has had this done! It seems the few who have asked at the local (oshawa) dealers to have this done have been turned down! I figured we should maby start a thread for this so members up here can post how they made out in there quest to have this done to there trucks.. So if you have tried to have your truck Gatorbacked under warenty up here post to let others know how you made out.. I know my first 2 Av's would have needed this for sure.. My present AV(05) is still in fairly good shape and i doubt i would be elligable.. But for those who having problems with clading/ covers or sailpanels and have inquired at the dealership to have the treatment .. How did you make out????? .. Please give a general location and possibly the dealer who did/didnot perform this service.. Thaks in advance for any imput you might be able to provide!!!  :B:

Nats

Well, we should I start.  I have been complaining to my dealer in Ottawa for years now about the fading of my cladding.  They armadilloed it once, but as you know that is only a temp solution. :E:
GM has agreed to pay for half of the Gatorback, half because I am out of warranty. :E: :E:  I am not giving up the fight yet, I have yet to get the final answer from GM.
My truck was suppose to have been done a onth ago, but due to whatever reason it was not.  It has been at the dealer now for three weeks.  After they took all the cladding off they found out they got the wrong colour in. so it sat there for 2 1/2 weeks nakid doing nothing :E:.  I am hoping I will get it back by end of this week.

If anyone with my vintage truck had GM pay for all of it, I would certainly like to know.

Well I tried to get our panels done under warrnity and when I phoned GM they told me that it was up to the dealer if they would warrnity it not so away we go to Ontario Motor Sales and he said..... NOPE.... if we had gone in before our 3 year or 60,000 than they would have done it under warrnity.
came home phoned GM and said hey this isnt right you would have done it 20,000 km ago but not now and she said yepper.....$200.00 for OMS to spray gatorback on it and I say FORGET IT.....lol
I have not stopped fighting yet if there is a will than there is a way...lol :help:

Well I should get my truck back tomorrow.  I went by the dealership on Friday and they had it all done except the finishing touches on the weatherstipping, which was all replaced. They will give it a good cleaning tomorrow and then I will pick it up. And of course I will take pictures and post them.

bryker said:
Well I should get my truck back tomorrow.? I went by the dealership on Friday and they had it all done except the finishing touches on the weatherstipping, which was all replaced. They will give it a good cleaning tomorrow and then I will pick it up. And of course I will take pictures and post them.

TODAY IS TOMORROW!! WHERE's the pics!!  >:D

I know its been days that I said I would post some pics.  I only picked the truck up on Friday and it has been raining all weekend here.  As soon as the weather gets better I will post pics.  BTW it turned out great.  I am pleased with it. :love:

Has anyone else had Gatorback applied. The local dealer I deal with here is still playing the Armadillo game. :E: ImanX, another member here complained about the clading on his 03 and that's all they would do for him. It's been a couple months now and it is already looking like it was never done.

KenL said:
Ok, I have to ask this question....What is GATORBACKING?

Welcome to the club Ken .. Gatorback is a coating GM is using to repair discoloured cladding on Cladded Av's.. There are plenty of threads about it in here just do a search and there is more info than you probably want to read ..

Nats

Just had mine done
My dealer had a difficult time to get everything, but they worked hard, did everything they could and I have an Av that looks like new.
Get in touch if you need more info

It would be great if you could post a couple of pictures. Is your cladding black or grey? What year is your truck? What areas did they do? What costs were involved? Did GM pony up for any of the costs? Who was your dealer? Where is your dealer? Will you be attending any get togethers so that we can oogle over the job?

Congratulations! You sound really happy!

Regards,
John

Have been approved for gatorback in woodstock......they are just having issues finding someone in my area who applies material.....
With reply when they get back to me tomorrow....

Later.....

My truck is an 05 non cladded....

I had *something* done in Windsor.  Unfortunately, the dealership did it while I was in there for some other work, and they didn't give me a work order or invoice.  I'm not convinced that they actually gatorbacked it.  I'm currently trying to track that little detail down, cuz it looks like I'm getting some fading.  . 

Was approved, now they are backing out.....they tell me they got a memo from GM stating that if the trucks are any more than 6 months old they would not put it under warranty....... I was face to face with dealer and did not back down told him I thought that was a crock and to give me a direct phone number for GM in the States because I would like to talk to someone there person to person and have them tell me this over the phone.......
Needless to say he did not do that, told me to give him until tomorrow and he would get back to me on conclusion...? They offered to buy the product for me if I could do it myself.....not sure of the process, I would have to contact gatorback and talk to them.....I do airbrushing on everything now and have a sealed booth in my shop.... how different can it be.....maybe I should do the gatorbacking in Ontario.....Wonder if it would be worth my time.....What do all of you think around Ontario area?

Thanks for reading....

Later....

I was told by head office in Oshawa that I am to stay persistent with dealership and tell them that I want the DSM to look at it next time he is in town....Told dealership this will update when I get a response...

Later....

I got my Gatorback kit last week,my AV is still under warranty,but screw it.I'm gonna have my buddy do it for me.He has his own bodyshop.

ctcgirl said:
Well I tried to get our panels done under warrnity and when I phoned GM they told me that it was up to the dealer if they would warrnity it not so away we go to Ontario Motor Sales and he said..... NOPE.... if we had gone in before our 3 year or 60,000 than they would have done it under warrnity.
came home phoned GM and said hey this isnt right you would have done it 20,000 km ago but not now and she said yepper.....$200.00 for OMS to spray gatorback on it and I say FORGET IT.....lol
I have not stopped fighting yet if there is a will than there is a way...lol :help:

I'm around vancouver, so hearing you say they told you under 60,000 kms since I've got 54,000 maybe I should try to get it done?

Back