• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Shipping Costs To Canada!!

kroache

I have seen a lot of terrific accessories offered by the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club Partners. Does anyone know how to avoid the ridiculous brokerage fees etc. we are charged to have these items shipped across the border to Canada? As an example, I ordered the Stripeman Avalanche insert and tailgate letters (very pleased with the product) but I was charged a $45.00 brokerage fee on a $65.00 U.S. (approx. $95.00 Can.) order!!! That was almost a 50% penalty!! Perhaps it is based on the method of shipping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kroache

Eh! I was wondering the same thing here. I haven't ordered anything yet and after your post,I probably won't. Our best bet is to proably drive across and pick the stuff up and install it down there.Then :) nice at the boarder guards on the way back.... :0:
By the way what part of the Great White North are you located?
I'm in Oshawa just outside of Toronto!

NatCanAV

Hey NatsCanAv,
I'm located in Bolton, Ontario. (It's in the Town of Caledon, approx. 20km north of Pearson Airport). Regards the shipping costs, I'm sure there must be a way to eliminate the extra fees. Makes you wonder about "Free Trade"!!

kroache

Hey cool! My kids live in Orangville whith my ex!I run through your area at least once every 2 weeks. In fact I have to go to the airport tomorrow and I am going up to show the Boy's the new ride. They haven't seen it yet and don't even know that I got it(only 2 days ago)so I expect some huge ;D when I pull up!I will keep an eye out for you on the road.... :) :)

Congratulations on your new ride! I bought my Black Z66 in May. I can't remember ever being so pleased with a vehicle. I'm on King Arthur's Court. Stop by for a minute if you get a chance.

kroache

Thanks for the invite!I would really like to see your mods.I will try and make it by.How many black AV's on the street? ;D ;D ;D

BTW: Thats the caledon up hwy10 I take it!Isn't there an east or west or nort or south or something!!!! (y)

Sorry, last reply was to your question about how many black Avs on the street. Bolton is actually located on Hwy 50 which is East of Hwy 10. Basically directly north of Hwy 427. You can email me and I can give you my phone number and you can call if you have time to stop by. (k.roache@rogers.com)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to avoid the extra shipping costs and I've noticed (living in the States) it is way less expensive for someone in Canada to send a package to me than it is for me to send a package up there. Does anyone know why? Postal security? ???

First the exchange beats you up, then duty, then GST. Chief sent me a package of "travel information" for Wild West and insured the package for $125 - the post office dinged me for GST on that amount.
The suppliers may not let you choose the shipping method, but I have found duty costs vary between the couriers, with UPS being the most reasonable. FedEx wants you to expedite the duty on your own.
Re: free trade. Like most things the gov't does, the average person receives no benefit. Must be an advantage to some connected cats in certain businesses.

Yes in deed!ChasmanAnd then us folks here in the "hub " of the country have that prov. tax to deal with also. :6:
I think a road run is almot the only way.Were close to Buffalo so I think I'll save up and make a run down sometime and make it worthwhile. ;D...Maby, make a wish list :0:I wish! I wish! :)

I NEED HELP....... I was lucky enough to win the AV tent in the latest draw and would like help in how I should have it shipped! Is UPS the least expensive as far as duties etc? Any Ideas would be appreciated! :p

Congrat on your win leather!No one has come up with an on the cheap shipping method here yet!If it's like winning a lottery,you will probably have to pay extrra tax on top of shipping and duty. :( I'm just guessing,hope this isn't the case though!Post how you make out,it will be interesting to know for future refference.

NatsCanAv

Ok guy's maybe this will help you out Although the sender does have to be willing!!

I'm located in Guelph, Ontario.

I order virtually all my stuff for my bikes from the U.S. and I have them shipped up here as "gift" with a value of $45-60 buck.

Have some sent to you direct and others to your wifes name,sons...

And always ask how they will be shipped, NEVER US UPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOU ARE NOT IN A HURRY FOR WHAT EVER YOU ORDERED, use SNAIL MAIL.

I've tried the getting parts up here a whole bunch of ways and this is the best way I found, but you do need the senders cooperation and normally they do, just have the bill mailed to you seperatly.

Hope this helps you out, and if your in the area let me know I wouldn't mind looking at your mod...

P.S. I don't know where the tent is coming from, but have it sent by smail mail and marked as a GIFT with a $45.OO u.s. VALUE ATTACHED AND MAKE SURE THERE IS NOTHING IN THERE PERTAINING TO COSTS.

G.

Leather said:
I NEED HELP....... I was lucky enough to win the AV tent in the latest draw and would like help in how I should have it shipped! Is UPS the least expensive as far as duties etc? Any Ideas would be appreciated! :p
Based on what everyone is saying on this thread, it might be cheaper for you to drive down in your Av to pick it up ;)

the cheapest way is by using the Post Office, you don't pay brokerage fees, and if you have to use UPS, tell the shipper it's a warranty replacement part and they won't charger you anything over the border, but be prepared to prove proof you bought it before, but they don't always ask.........

I buy lots from the USA on e-bay.
I will only buy from a dealer that will ship USA post office.

It's the cheapest way for me.

Just make sure that on anything you buy, the bill don't say more than $50 to $75.

All my little Av decals, 3rd breakilte cover, tail gate letters....ect, all made it here in 12 days or less, and most of the shipping was very cheap.

peace
Mossy D

Hi there the way I avoid duty is to ask seller to put a Low value on package like no more than 20$ cause as soon as dem goons on border see that the value is up there then they ding u. A lot of sellers will help u out there are a few that say they cant. I know what u mean abt paying them damm brokerage fee,have been burned a few times until i found this way out....We get fooked here enough and they still are trying to get us anyway they can ...Hope this helps

I was dinged huge time on brokerage fees from UPS.  :E: I hate them and their damned fees.  When I called UPS they said that they had to pay lawyers to move the goods through customs.  The guy said that USPS was government to government and so they didn't need a lawyer to do the brokerage fee route.  My advice is to have whatever you get shipped USPS or get a friend in the U.S. to receive the goods and bring them over.  I live 30 minutes from a U.S. town and have had stuff shipped to the local bar.  I go down, collect the stuff, have a couple of beer and leave a generous tip for their assistance.  Get to the border, pay the duty, and on most car parts they're duty free. 

We order from the US sometimes 2-3 times a week.
Fedex(good) or postal service(cheapest) is the cheapest way if you have it delivered at your door in Canada.
Because we buy alot from our U.S friends we also have our own broker in Maine,I'm in NB.
We use the broker when the parts are prepaid in the US or shipped by UPS.
They ship our parts to our Maine warehouse,and our broker does the paper work.Then it's sent to Canada.It keeps our parts that we sell at a decent price.

Hi folks, just to bump up this thread....

I would like a member in Texas to send me a head unit for my AV. Is the US postal service still the best way to get it across the border without paying brokerage fees? Should it be marked as a "gift" with a value below 50 bucks?

Will doing this guarantee no extra cost....after all, if there is no bill of sale and the item is 3 yrs old and obviously a car part, who's to say it is anything but a gift?and therefor exempt,.

Any updates or opinions please.

Thanks

Back