• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

3rd Brake Light Question

avlover32

Hi Guys, i have a Question. i was wonder, is my 3rd brake light suppost to stay on went i am in park/Driving or is it just suppost to come on when i hit the brake.

He's found the 3rd brakelight! GREAT....now ya gotta go out and get an AVALANCHE decal for that baby, and when you hit the brake.........schweeet!

I have an 02 and the 3rd Brake Light is out.

Is is difficult to change?

What bulbs does it take?

I went by the dealer and he told me $97 just to look at it. I need instructions on how to remove the cladding with out messing anything up. I tried removing the screws but ran into the double sided tape. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stew.

stew4570 said:
I have an 02 and the 3rd Brake Light is out.

Is is difficult to change?

What bulbs does it take?

I went by the dealer and he told me $97 just to look at it. I need instructions on how to remove the cladding with out messing anything up. I tried removing the screws but ran into the double sided tape. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stew.

Take off the screws across the top and one screw on the bottom in each corner.  Then pull up the tape.  Presto off it comes.  You MAY be able to just loosen the top ones and remove the bottom ones to get your hand in there.  But would be easier just to remove it and get some new 3M tape from local auto store. (its not that expensive.

Depending on the year AV. will depend what kind of light you have.  Neon or bulbs.

Tango Chaser said:
Take off the screws across the top and one screw on the bottom in each corner.? Then pull up the tape.? Presto off it comes.? You MAY be able to just loosen the top ones and remove the bottom ones to get your hand in there.? But would be easier just to remove it and get some new 3M tape from local auto store. (its not that expensive.

Depending on the year AV. will depend what kind of light you have.? Neon or bulbs.

Ditto and yep only comes on when you hit the brake light, UNLESS you mod it!!

Sam

Tango Chaser said:
Take off the screws across the top and one screw on the bottom in each corner.? Then pull up the tape.? Presto off it comes.? You MAY be able to just loosen the top ones and remove the bottom ones to get your hand in there.? But would be easier just to remove it and get some new 3M tape from local auto store. (its not that expensive.

Depending on the year AV. will depend what kind of light you have.? Neon or bulbs.

Warning:
Besides the screws that are remove. The lower edge of that sail has " 5 plastic slip in clips " be careful not to break them. I prefer to lift from the bottom to clear them of the clips.

RENORCR said:
Warning:
Besides the screws that are remove. The lower edge of that sail has " 5 plastic slip in clips " be careful not to break them. I prefer to lift from the bottom to clear them of the clips.

Good catch, I forgot all about those dang clips!  :E:

Stew,

Let me know what you find in there!

I have an 03, and was told that it may be a sealed unit... that is why they told you $97.00 to look at it, as that's about what they quoted me for a new one a few weeks ago. It seems kinda stupid to have something other than replacable bulbs in there. I didn't find out till I did the four bulb brake light mod, and went to take pictures.  :E:

Bad Dad

Bad Dad said:
Stew,

Let me know what you find in there!

I have an 03, and was told that it may be a sealed unit... that is why they told you $97.00 to look at it, as that's about what they quoted me for a new one a few weeks ago. It seems kinda stupid to have something other than replacable bulbs in there. I didn't find out till I did the four bulb brake light mod, and went to take pictures.? :E:

Bad Dad

Looking at my extra 05 light it is sealed.  Here's the part number from the back of it to try locating a cheaper price.
GM# 15201921    This is from a 2005 Avalanche
VSI# 301700

Not sure what VSI is but its stamped right under the GM #.

Bad Dad said:
Thanks for the info Tango...

BD

glad to help.  On occasion they can be found on ebay.

I have an 02 with the single tube lightbulb. The bubba at the dealer said "I aint seen many of em go out before".  I know the LEDs would last many FORD lives.

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I know what I'm getting into. I read about those plastic clips being expensive to replace.

Some of the mods that I have seen on this site are awesome. I am planning many more in the future. So far I just have a intake and 20"s.  Next its the duals out the back or behind the tires with Magnaflow. I checked out somebody who had Flowmasters on a truck and they were LOUD! I kinda like the quiet while im stuck in Atlanta traffic. The bolt LEDs down the sides hooked into the 3rd brake light is one that I really like. I also looked into getting the gatorbacking. Found a shop here in Atlanta that does it for $500 out the door.

Here's a picture of both types of lights, the white squares you see above the window are the clips to be careful of

Attachments

• Third brake light.jpg
    Third brake light.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 158
Can '03s have the neon replaced with the LEDs?  Is it just plug in?  I had a brake light cover on mine, and when I took it off the sticker, it etched into the lens.  So, I purchased a new sticker to cover the etched lens and now that sticker is showing its age.  I priced a new third brake light and the dealer said $137 new.

stew4570 said:
I have an 02 with the single tube lightbulb. The bubba at the dealer said "I aint seen many of em go out before".? I know the LEDs would last many FORD lives.

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I know what I'm getting into. I read about those plastic clips being expensive to replace.

Some of the mods that I have seen on this site are awesome. I am planning many more in the future. So far I just have a intake and 20"s.? Next its the duals out the back or behind the tires with Magnaflow. I checked out somebody who had Flowmasters on a truck and they were LOUD! I kinda like the quiet while im stuck in Atlanta traffic. The bolt LEDs down the sides hooked into the 3rd brake light is one that I really like. I also looked into getting the gatorbacking. Found a shop here in Atlanta that does it for $500 out the door.

02 PN 15062434, I think there is a newer PN  :(

Attachments

• 02sl.JPG
    02sl.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 127
BrianLee01 said:
Can '03s have the neon replaced with the LEDs?? Is it just plug in?? I had a brake light cover on mine, and when I took it off the sticker, it etched into the lens.? So, I purchased a new sticker to cover the etched lens and now that sticker is showing its age.? I priced a new third brake light and the dealer said $137 new.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they are interchangeable  ???

ItsStopher said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that they are interchangeable? ???

yep, they are.

They are interchangeable, in the pic, I was changing the one with leds, for the neon type on an '04, got it off ebay.
A couple of little metal clips hold the light to the plastic, wire just plugs in.

Back