Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 26  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Snugtop Canopy QA pics etc Bed Topper  (Read 208187 times)

ski43

• I love the Chevy Avalanche!
Snugtop Canopy QA pics etc Bed Topper
« on: 04/11/03 03:41 AM »

I have a leak in my Snugtop, water dripping from ceiling under the area where the brake light is.  I think it is coming in the brake light and will do a water test when it stops raining.  Did anyone else have this problem.

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
Re: Snugtop Canopy QA pics etc Bed Topper
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/03 03:50 AM »

I am glad you seem to found the leak point SKI.....

Maybe who ever  sold it or the dealer can help since it is a GM part
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

ski43

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/03 03:57 AM »

I am checking with my dealer, but I thought I would help them out with any info, as it seems this site is more informed then dealers sometimes.  It is probably coming from the light, but could also be from the attachment points of the rails.  So any input of past experince is welcomed

ShapeShifter

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
  • What a great trip it's been...
    • ShapeShifter
« Reply #3 on: 04/11/03 04:16 AM »

I have a leak in my Snugtop, water dripping from ceiling under the area where the brake light is.  I think it is coming in the brake light and will do a water test when it stops raining.  Did anyone else have this problem.

There was some discussion that might be related to this. I did a serach and can't find it right now.

Someone recently reported that they were getting an occasional trickle of water down the outside of the back window. Several other people reported that they have also seen this. I have also seen this on my truck.

There appears to be a path where water can enter between the top sail panel cladding and the body of the truck. It then runs down the inside of the cladding, and drains out a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the sail panel cladding, right above the rear window. This was determined to be not much of a real issue, as no water enters the cab, and there does not seem to be anything that can be damaged by this.

However, the original poster who brought this up was a little concerned about it, because he was considering a SnugTop, and was worried that it might allow water to sneak inside the enclosed space.

This sounds a lot like your situation.

When you do your water testing, make sure you try flowing water across the roof, towards the top sail panel cladding seam. That seems to me like it would be the most likely point of water entry.

BTW, doing a search for "snugtop leak" turned up many hits -- all from SnugTop owners stating that they have absolutely no leaks. So, it would appear that it is possible to have a dry interior with a SnugTop.

The first step is to find the source of water entry. Then, with that known, you can start to consider what can be done to stop it.

-- SS

sjudson

• CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: 04/15/03 09:12 PM »

If you don't want to take to dealer(which is covered as any GM part),try to tighten the mounting bolts.A piece of rubber came with snug top to gage how much space should be between bottom of top and the AV.Also there is a strip of clear film that could have not been installed(it runs between top cladding and top of AV.Although I have not had any leaks I did  add 2 small pieces of weather stripping in corners where snug top lid meets the tailgate.
                                                                                          CLICK on PICTURE for Pictures of all Mods

grizzy

• O2 Z71
« Reply #5 on: 07/26/02 02:42 AM »

I thought members might be interested in my experience with the new Snugtop Camper shell for the Av.  The shell is only available through Chevy Dealers for the first year, and it's EXPENSIVE.  Original estimates from a Snugtop dealer was that the shell would run about $1800.  I thought that was kind of expensive, but getting it through the dealer the shell ran $2600 (some murkup!).  Anyway, other than the cost, the shell is very well made and fits the Av like a glove.  It attaches with 4 bolds at the front (replacing 4 existing bolts on the top-bar, and with 2 more bolts on the rear hand-hold --  again, replacing existing bolts.  The shell was installed by the Snugtop dealer.  Yesterday I removed the shell, and was able to do it myself (without help).  Just the 6 bolts and a quick-disconnect for the electrical.  It's a little bulky to lift off, but not too heavy for a good sized person.  The only problem I ran into was the installers cross-threaded one of the front bolts and then stripped the nut inside the top-bar.  I've removed the bolt head with a bolt cutter, and will take it back to to my Chevy dealer to remove the remaing bolt and repair the stripped nut.  I guess my only suggestion for others would be -- be very careful not to cross-thread the bolts when installing the Shell.

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
  • Forethought is better than afterthought
« Reply #6 on: 07/26/02 04:49 AM »

How about some photos, Griz!  :D
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!
Link to Club Store

grizzy

• O2 Z71
« Reply #7 on: 07/27/02 04:31 AM »

I'll take pix next time I put the camper shell on -- unfortunately that probably won't be until late Sept.

dawnberk

« Reply #8 on: 07/30/02 05:46 AM »

I just had my Snug Top installed by the dealer last week.  We LOVE it.  It's still on the truck as we speak, and am planning to go back to the dealer soon (with my husband) to see how easy it is to install/remove!!??!!  ??? (I had to drop it off and leave the truck, as the dealer couldn't get it in right away).  We also need them to fix some of the wiring, the overhead light in the top doesn't operate.  

I have the Northface edition, in Sage Green.  I have had hundreds of looks since I bought the truck, and more so since I've had the top on. It definitely gets attention!!

We are still concerned with the installation and how easy it is, we are not a handy couple at all!  To those who have the snug top, how long did it take you to put it on?  Also, we were considering installing a pulley system in our garage for the cap, both for storage of the cap, and ease of installation.  Has anyone ever done this, or heard of anybody having this done?  

Any insight or comments would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks much.

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 07/30/02 06:39 AM »

Dawnberk: I have the same sage green Av and would love to see some pictures of yours!
 Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members, You are the ones that keep the lights on here!
Link to Club Store

grizzy

• O2 Z71
« Reply #10 on: 07/31/02 02:05 AM »

I haven't put mine one yet (the dealer did the first install), but I did take it off.  It took me about 20 minutes, mostly because I was being extra careful the first time.  Seeing how it goes on, I would expect it to take about the same to put it back on.  The pully idea sounds like a good one since the top is bulky to lift off by hand.  Just make sure the pully system is sturdy and secure -- if the top drops it will be in pieces.
good luck and let us know how it works out.

DCP

• Charter Member
  • North fACE
« Reply #11 on: 07/31/02 04:37 AM »

I was wondering how do the doors to the bed storage compartments open? What is the overall height of the truck with the snugtop? You might be very carefull parking in any underground parking garages where the ceiling height is only 6' - 6"! Can you order one without the top luggage rails?
2002 Black North Face
1971 Z28 RS Show car

grizzy

• O2 Z71
« Reply #12 on: 07/31/02 01:18 PM »

The height of the truck with the camper shell is maybe an inch or so taller than the truck with the luggage rack.  My Z71 Av with the shell on fit easily into my standard height garage door.

When you put the shell on you can't use the side storage compartments -- bummer but worth it if you need the shell.

dawnberk

« Reply #13 on: 08/01/02 03:27 AM »

Thanks to all for your replies.  I unfortunately don't have a scanner, but I should be getting one soon. As soon as I have pics, I'll be sure to post them.  Yes, the truck is an inch or two taller w/the cap on, and we were not able to park in a standard parking garage in Chicago last weekend  :(  

No, I don't believe you can order it without the luggage racks, but I could be wrong. It did not come as an option in the accessory catalog at the dealership, and I know you have to order it thru them as opposed to Snugtop.

I'll let you all know if we do install a pulley system and keep you posted.

dvd_rules

• Niagara GTG
« Reply #14 on: 08/01/02 06:01 PM »

Pics! we need Pics :o :A: :B:
A Lot more Truck for the Buck!!

hreed1946

« Reply #15 on: 05/31/03 01:47 PM »

Does anyone know of a camper that will fit on and 02 Avalanche????????

kcole683

« Reply #16 on: 05/31/03 02:06 PM »

I'm afraid uou will have to tow a camper or buy a bed tent.  The sticker in the glove box and the owners manual will tell you the avalanche is not meant to be used for a truck camper.
INDIGO BLUE Z71 BORN 03-14-02 DELIVERED ON 04-27-02  HEATED LEATHER,ONSTAR,CLIMATECONTROL ,SUNROOF, LOADED WITH EVERYTHING ,NO BLOCK HEATER,I LOVE THIS TRUCK New toy 2005 Stingray 220 CS in tow on a Prestige Trailer.

bjkirk

• A Foster Child is the best mod a family can have!
« Reply #17 on: 06/01/03 12:16 AM »

It's not a camper but Snugtop offers a topper for the bed of the truck. Leaves the truck looking like a really aggresive Suburban.
2002 Base Model Blue bought July 14 2002
  Mods; Back seat headrest, Amber DRL,
Pioneer NAV SYS 900 DVD, shortened gear shift lever to allow motorized Nav screen to open, backup camera mounted in the tailgate bezel, added front dash console to bench seat f/ NAV unit, dark Lexan to opening in dash console, added blue Neon and Strobe behind lexan. Added Fact. Assist Steps. Added Metra 70-2002 Fact. Amp Bypass. Hitch recvr spot Lite, US Flag decal on Bowtie. Enkie's 4 fender cladding pieces.

imaniguana

• Charter Member
  • I love my second Z71 Av!
« Reply #18 on: 06/01/03 12:44 AM »

I would go with a pop-up camper.  They're lightweight, easy to tow, and can be had for a song on the used market.  Resell it when you want to upgrade to something else.  

I bought a used Jayco real cheap, had it for about 10 years, did some minor refurbishing to it, and sold it for more than I bought it for.  

You can really hammer them on the price.  Most owners and dealers are motivated sellers of these.
03 Dark Grey Metallic, 1500 Z71, OnStar, leather seats with carcass warmers, convenience pkg., sunroof, luggage rack, steps, Bose factory sound, and GM bug deflector, amber DRLs.

Lockout

• Watch out for the Supercuts Special Cut!!!
    • Pictures of my Av
« Reply #19 on: 06/04/03 03:30 PM »

I actually saw one of the SnugTops the other day. Wish I had my camera with me. It looked a little odd to me. It did make it look like a Suburban with the Av cladding. The oddest thing about the shell was there was nothing covering the holes in the sails. I personally didn't like it.  The way I look at it is, if I wanted a Suburban, I would go out and buy one.
Sig Pic removed Exceeded file size limit of 30kb

MaDuckie

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Dance like no one is watching.
« Reply #20 on: 06/04/03 03:43 PM »

Check it out

:B:SnugTop AV Topper :B:
Read my blog http://kicking-cancers-ass.blogspot.com/

2002 Dark Green Metallic - traded June 2 2005

2005 Bermuda Blue Cladded, LT Traded November 2007

2007 Greystone LT, Boss 30 Returned 26 Aug 10

2010 GMC Terrain SLE AWD

Steelheadchaser

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 06/04/03 04:09 PM »

The SnugTop XUV does come with covers for the sail cut-outs.

Link to Club Store

TXAVy

« Reply #22 on: 06/04/03 04:38 PM »

Does anyone know of a camper that will fit on and 02 Avalanche????????

Well, this isn't really a "camper" but it does just about exactly the same thing.

You can check them out at this German website called AutoCamp.

And you should be able to put one on top of the bed of your AV and still keep the entire bed for cargo storage with the help of a Custom AV Bed Rack. There may be a little bit of tweaking necessary to get it to swing open over the sail panel on that side, but it looks promising. :)

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
MODs: Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, GoodYear Wrangler MT/R 285/70R17, Amber DRLs, Mag Light Mod, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, ES Bushings, Window Tint, AVALANCHE hitch cover, Rear Seat Headrest Mod, Lifted EZ-Slider, Remote Tailgate Lock, Automatic Cargo Lights

pdxkevin

• CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member
  • Spero nos familiares mansuros
    • pdxkevin's webshots albums
« Reply #23 on: 06/05/03 03:22 AM »

TXAVy, I was thinking the same thing...

Will the snug top handle this kind of weight above it? How about the roof?
Maybe the custom rack a member made will support these over the panels.  :D

Here are some other choices:

Lofty Shelters

Land Wide Adventure Equipment
Safari Trailers
...  Go Play outside  ...

TXAVy

« Reply #24 on: 06/05/03 03:54 AM »

Maybe the custom rack a member made will support these over the panels.  :D

I wonder who that would be?  ::)
ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
MODs: Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, GoodYear Wrangler MT/R 285/70R17, Amber DRLs, Mag Light Mod, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, ES Bushings, Window Tint, AVALANCHE hitch cover, Rear Seat Headrest Mod, Lifted EZ-Slider, Remote Tailgate Lock, Automatic Cargo Lights
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 26  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 24 queries.