Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
07/24/14 01:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snugtop Canopy QA pics etc Bed Topper  (Read 113621 times)
ski43

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« on: 04/11/03 03:41 AM »

I have a leak in my Snugtop, water dripping from ceiling under the area where the brake light is.  I think it is coming in the brake light and will do a water test when it stops raining.  Did anyone else have this problem.
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/03 03:50 AM »

I am glad you seem to found the leak point SKI.....

Maybe who ever  sold it or the dealer can help since it is a GM part

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
ski43

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 04/11/03 03:57 AM »

I am checking with my dealer, but I thought I would help them out with any info, as it seems this site is more informed then dealers sometimes.  It is probably coming from the light, but could also be from the attachment points of the rails.  So any input of past experince is welcomed
ShapeShifter
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

What a great trip it's been...

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: 04/11/03 04:16 AM »

I have a leak in my Snugtop, water dripping from ceiling under the area where the brake light is.  I think it is coming in the brake light and will do a water test when it stops raining.  Did anyone else have this problem.

There was some discussion that might be related to this. I did a serach and can't find it right now.

Someone recently reported that they were getting an occasional trickle of water down the outside of the back window. Several other people reported that they have also seen this. I have also seen this on my truck.

There appears to be a path where water can enter between the top sail panel cladding and the body of the truck. It then runs down the inside of the cladding, and drains out a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the sail panel cladding, right above the rear window. This was determined to be not much of a real issue, as no water enters the cab, and there does not seem to be anything that can be damaged by this.

However, the original poster who brought this up was a little concerned about it, because he was considering a SnugTop, and was worried that it might allow water to sneak inside the enclosed space.

This sounds a lot like your situation.

When you do your water testing, make sure you try flowing water across the roof, towards the top sail panel cladding seam. That seems to me like it would be the most likely point of water entry.

BTW, doing a search for "snugtop leak" turned up many hits -- all from SnugTop owners stating that they have absolutely no leaks. So, it would appear that it is possible to have a dry interior with a SnugTop.

The first step is to find the source of water entry. Then, with that known, you can start to consider what can be done to stop it.

-- SS

sjudson
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 04/15/03 09:12 PM »

If you don't want to take to dealer(which is covered as any GM part),try to tighten the mounting bolts.A piece of rubber came with snug top to gage how much space should be between bottom of top and the AV.Also there is a strip of clear film that could have not been installed(it runs between top cladding and top of AV.Although I have not had any leaks I did  add 2 small pieces of weather stripping in corners where snug top lid meets the tailgate.

CLICK on PICTURE for Pictures of all Mods
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 07/26/02 02:42 AM »

I thought members might be interested in my experience with the new Snugtop Camper shell for the Av.  The shell is only available through Chevy Dealers for the first year, and it's EXPENSIVE.  Original estimates from a Snugtop dealer was that the shell would run about $1800.  I thought that was kind of expensive, but getting it through the dealer the shell ran $2600 (some murkup!).  Anyway, other than the cost, the shell is very well made and fits the Av like a glove.  It attaches with 4 bolds at the front (replacing 4 existing bolts on the top-bar, and with 2 more bolts on the rear hand-hold --  again, replacing existing bolts.  The shell was installed by the Snugtop dealer.  Yesterday I removed the shell, and was able to do it myself (without help).  Just the 6 bolts and a quick-disconnect for the electrical.  It's a little bulky to lift off, but not too heavy for a good sized person.  The only problem I ran into was the installers cross-threaded one of the front bolts and then stripped the nut inside the top-bar.  I've removed the bolt head with a bolt cutter, and will take it back to to my Chevy dealer to remove the remaing bolt and repair the stripped nut.  I guess my only suggestion for others would be -- be very careful not to cross-thread the bolts when installing the Shell.
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 07/26/02 04:49 AM »

How about some photos, Griz!  Cheesy

2014 CAFCNA Supporting Memberships and Premium Supporting Memberships (the one with the coins!) are On Sale and Shipping! only 26 of 75 Challenge Coins are Still Available 
Thank you Supporting and Premium Supporting Members! Link to Club Store
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 07/27/02 04:31 AM »

I'll take pix next time I put the camper shell on -- unfortunately that probably won't be until late Sept.
dawnberk
« Reply #8 on: 07/30/02 05:46 AM »

I just had my Snug Top installed by the dealer last week.  We LOVE it.  It's still on the truck as we speak, and am planning to go back to the dealer soon (with my husband) to see how easy it is to install/remove!!??!!  Huh (I had to drop it off and leave the truck, as the dealer couldn't get it in right away).  We also need them to fix some of the wiring, the overhead light in the top doesn't operate.  

I have the Northface edition, in Sage Green.  I have had hundreds of looks since I bought the truck, and more so since I've had the top on. It definitely gets attention!!

We are still concerned with the installation and how easy it is, we are not a handy couple at all!  To those who have the snug top, how long did it take you to put it on?  Also, we were considering installing a pulley system in our garage for the cap, both for storage of the cap, and ease of installation.  Has anyone ever done this, or heard of anybody having this done?  

Any insight or comments would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks much.
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 07/30/02 06:39 AM »

Dawnberk: I have the same sage green Av and would love to see some pictures of yours!

2014 CAFCNA Supporting Memberships and Premium Supporting Memberships (the one with the coins!) are On Sale and Shipping! only 26 of 75 Challenge Coins are Still Available 
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 07/31/02 02:05 AM »

I haven't put mine one yet (the dealer did the first install), but I did take it off.  It took me about 20 minutes, mostly because I was being extra careful the first time.  Seeing how it goes on, I would expect it to take about the same to put it back on.  The pully idea sounds like a good one since the top is bulky to lift off by hand.  Just make sure the pully system is sturdy and secure -- if the top drops it will be in pieces.
good luck and let us know how it works out.
DCP
Charter Member

North fACE

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 07/31/02 04:37 AM »

I was wondering how do the doors to the bed storage compartments open? What is the overall height of the truck with the snugtop? You might be very carefull parking in any underground parking garages where the ceiling height is only 6' - 6"! Can you order one without the top luggage rails?

2002 Black North Face
1971 Z28 RS Show car
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 07/31/02 01:18 PM »

The height of the truck with the camper shell is maybe an inch or so taller than the truck with the luggage rack.  My Z71 Av with the shell on fit easily into my standard height garage door.

When you put the shell on you can't use the side storage compartments -- bummer but worth it if you need the shell.
dawnberk
« Reply #13 on: 08/01/02 03:27 AM »

Thanks to all for your replies.  I unfortunately don't have a scanner, but I should be getting one soon. As soon as I have pics, I'll be sure to post them.  Yes, the truck is an inch or two taller w/the cap on, and we were not able to park in a standard parking garage in Chicago last weekend  Sad  

No, I don't believe you can order it without the luggage racks, but I could be wrong. It did not come as an option in the accessory catalog at the dealership, and I know you have to order it thru them as opposed to Snugtop.

I'll let you all know if we do install a pulley system and keep you posted.
dvd_rules

Niagara GTG

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 08/01/02 06:01 PM »

Pics! we need Pics Shocked love chevy

A Lot more Truck for the Buck!!
hreed1946
« Reply #15 on: 05/31/03 01:47 PM »

Does anyone know of a camper that will fit on and 02 Avalanche?HuhHuh?
kcole683

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 05/31/03 02:06 PM »

I'm afraid uou will have to tow a camper or buy a bed tent.  The sticker in the glove box and the owners manual will tell you the avalanche is not meant to be used for a truck camper.

INDIGO BLUE Z71 BORN 03-14-02 DELIVERED ON 04-27-02  HEATED LEATHER,ONSTAR,CLIMATECONTROL ,SUNROOF, LOADED WITH EVERYTHING ,NO BLOCK HEATER,I LOVE THIS TRUCK New toy 2005 Stingray 220 CS in tow on a Prestige Trailer.
bjkirk

A Foster Child is the best mod a family can have!

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 06/01/03 12:16 AM »

It's not a camper but Snugtop offers a topper for the bed of the truck. Leaves the truck looking like a really aggresive Suburban.

2002 Base Model Blue bought July 14 2002
  Mods; Back seat headrest, Amber DRL,
Pioneer NAV SYS 900 DVD, shortened gear shift lever to allow motorized Nav screen to open, backup camera mounted in the tailgate bezel, added front dash console to bench seat f/ NAV unit, dark Lexan to opening in dash console, added blue Neon and Strobe behind lexan. Added Fact. Assist Steps. Added Metra 70-2002 Fact. Amp Bypass. Hitch recvr spot Lite, US Flag decal on Bowtie. Enkie's 4 fender cladding pieces.
imaniguana
Charter Member

I love my second Z71 Av!

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 06/01/03 12:44 AM »

I would go with a pop-up camper.  They're lightweight, easy to tow, and can be had for a song on the used market.  Resell it when you want to upgrade to something else.  

I bought a used Jayco real cheap, had it for about 10 years, did some minor refurbishing to it, and sold it for more than I bought it for.  

You can really hammer them on the price.  Most owners and dealers are motivated sellers of these.

03 Dark Grey Metallic, 1500 Z71, OnStar, leather seats with carcass warmers, convenience pkg., sunroof, luggage rack, steps, Bose factory sound, and GM bug deflector, amber DRLs.
Lockout

Watch out for the Supercuts Special Cut!!!

WWW Awards
« Reply #19 on: 06/04/03 03:30 PM »

I actually saw one of the SnugTops the other day. Wish I had my camera with me. It looked a little odd to me. It did make it look like a Suburban with the Av cladding. The oddest thing about the shell was there was nothing covering the holes in the sails. I personally didn't like it.  The way I look at it is, if I wanted a Suburban, I would go out and buy one.

Sig Pic removed Exceeded file size limit of 30kb
MaDuckie
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

Dance like no one is watching.

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 06/04/03 03:43 PM »

Check it out

chevySnugTop AV Topper chevy

Read my blog http://kicking-cancers-ass.blogspot.com/

2002 Dark Green Metallic - traded June 2 2005

2005 Bermuda Blue Cladded, LT Traded November 2007

2007 Greystone LT, Boss 30 Returned 26 Aug 10

2010 GMC Terrain SLE AWD
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 06/04/03 04:09 PM »

The SnugTop XUV does come with covers for the sail cut-outs.

TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 06/04/03 04:38 PM »

Does anyone know of a camper that will fit on and 02 Avalanche?HuhHuh?

Well, this isn't really a "camper" but it does just about exactly the same thing.

You can check them out at this German website called AutoCamp.

And you should be able to put one on top of the bed of your AV and still keep the entire bed for cargo storage with the help of a Custom AV Bed Rack. There may be a little bit of tweaking necessary to get it to swing open over the sail panel on that side, but it looks promising. Smiley

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
MODs: Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, GoodYear Wrangler MT/R 285/70R17, Amber DRLs, Mag Light Mod, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, ES Bushings, Window Tint, AVALANCHE hitch cover, Rear Seat Headrest Mod, Lifted EZ-Slider, Remote Tailgate Lock, Automatic Cargo Lights
pdxkevin
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

Spero nos familiares mansuros

WWW Awards
« Reply #23 on: 06/05/03 03:22 AM »

TXAVy, I was thinking the same thing...

Will the snug top handle this kind of weight above it? How about the roof?
Maybe the custom rack a member made will support these over the panels.  Cheesy

Here are some other choices:

Lofty Shelters

Land Wide Adventure Equipment
Safari Trailers

...  Go Play outside  ...
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #24 on: 06/05/03 03:54 AM »

Maybe the custom rack a member made will support these over the panels.  Cheesy

I wonder who that would be?  Roll Eyes

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
MODs: Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, GoodYear Wrangler MT/R 285/70R17, Amber DRLs, Mag Light Mod, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, ES Bushings, Window Tint, AVALANCHE hitch cover, Rear Seat Headrest Mod, Lifted EZ-Slider, Remote Tailgate Lock, Automatic Cargo Lights
pdxkevin
CAFCNA 2006 Supporting Member

Spero nos familiares mansuros

WWW Awards
« Reply #25 on: 06/05/03 03:56 AM »

This double-up version of the Overcamp by Lofty Shelters is the biggest setups I've seen yet. I would love to see this setup on the AV.

...  Go Play outside  ...
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #26 on: 06/05/03 04:07 AM »

Wow! That thing looks like it must sleep 4 at least! That's what... 600-800 lbs on your roof not counting tent and gear? I'd want to have much more than a factory roof rack holding it up there. But what a way to camp! Smiley

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
imageswest

The Inca's could have used the Avalanche.

WWW Awards
« Reply #27 on: 06/04/03 04:12 PM »

I saw in the morning paper a add to Avalanche owners.  You can now purchase the SnugTop for the Avalanche from
vendors other than the Chevy Dealership.  This will probably save you a few hundred dollars if you were thinking about the SnugTop!  A local topper dealer in the Denver area will sell it for $1995.  I know it is still expensive....but the dealers were chargeing anywhere from 2200 to 2800 dollars!  I have the SnugTop...had to put one on to make the Avalanche work for my job.  It is very well made.  Just a FYI if anyone out there was wondering about it.

2003 Metallic Grey, 2500.  Leather, Sunroof, XM Satellite Radio, Stainless Steel Side Steps, Roof Rack,  Avalanche Visor Decals,  CAFCNA Edition Bedslide, Full Time Amber DRL's, 885 Fogs, SnugTop, Viper Security,  Handicap: 12.4
imageswest

The Inca's could have used the Avalanche.

WWW Awards
« Reply #28 on: 05/13/03 03:25 AM »

Just had the Snugtop installed on my Avalanche.  The dome light on the SnugTop runs on batteries.....was wondering if anyone knows if it can be hooked up to the cargo lights so it will come on when the cargo lights are turned on?  Thanks for any info!

2003 Metallic Grey, 2500.  Leather, Sunroof, XM Satellite Radio, Stainless Steel Side Steps, Roof Rack,  Avalanche Visor Decals,  CAFCNA Edition Bedslide, Full Time Amber DRL's, 885 Fogs, SnugTop, Viper Security,  Handicap: 12.4
chvyavlnch02
« Reply #29 on: 03/15/03 12:11 PM »

Hi
I have a 2002 avalanche and would like to know  where
I can buy a camper shell top for it.  Does the dealer still stock this or does anyone know of a good after market product and where I can get it from ?
Thanks!
AtomTaz

We Will Rock You!!!

Awards
« Reply #30 on: 03/15/03 12:37 PM »

I only know of The Snugtop shell.  I don't know of any after market ones.  I'm pretty sure they don't stock this idea. You are going to have to order it.  You can probably buy it off the inther net too.

The Modlist is out on my Avalanche.  My Avalanche is Dark Gray and fully loaded.  The mods I have added are: Ford or "Hill" Torshen Bar Keys,  Tal & Hadas Grill Guard, American Racing Daimand Lock Rims 16", Goodyear MTR 305/70R16's (32.8"), WAAG tube side steps and the Billet Fuel Door.
Here are some pics of both the Avalanches I have owned.
http://groups.msn.com/ColoradoChat/atomtaz.msnw?albumlist=2
chvyavlnch02
« Reply #31 on: 03/15/03 12:52 PM »

OK snug shell is the name for it.  I really don't know what they call it sorry my bad.   Where can I get this snug shell?
The dealer?  Any idea how much?
endeavorc
Charter Member

Ohio Avalanches

WWW Awards
« Reply #32 on: 03/15/03 01:05 PM »

The company is Snugtop and the model is the XUV. It will have to be ordered through the dealership as far as I know. The cost should be around 1995.00.

Hope this helps,

SS--
« Last Edit: 03/15/03 01:07 PM by endeavorc » Logged
norcalavman

Awards
« Reply #33 on: 05/04/03 04:07 AM »

The only shell for the Avalanche that is currently on the market is officially licensed thru GM and made by Snug Top. GM paid for the development of the mold to make the top and was sold exclusively thru the GM OPG program until May 1st, 2003. Snugtop's largest dealer is stocking them but they are backordered several weeks. They will quote you a price with shipping. Their link is http://www.campway.com .
JoeyNoNeck
« Reply #34 on: 03/31/03 01:24 PM »

I recently saw an Avalanche with a Bed Cap.  It looked great.  Does anyone know of a company that makes these or was this probably a custom order?
Bruno

Ridin' High Member_#2014

Awards
« Reply #35 on: 03/31/03 01:37 PM »

Check out Snugtop

http://www.snugtop.com/p_xuv.htm

2002 Z71, Victory Red, MSD wires, K&N Filter, Glassscapes American flag on the rear window. Texas Bowtie, etc, etc.
decoy
« Reply #36 on: 03/20/03 11:11 AM »

With a Snugtop, how much overall height (above the cab), does Avalanche gain? I' m just about, at max. for entering my garage, without Snugtop.

Also: is there a solid "single piece" cargo bed cover for Avalanche, similar to ones on some pickup trucks.
Blulanche

Awards
« Reply #37 on: 03/20/03 11:19 AM »

I don't know the answer to your questions, but a single piece bed cover would be nice. Would probably reduce the chances of leaks, though I have not had any with my current set up. Would be great if it came interchangeable with the 3 panels, so that you could choose what cover you wanted on any given day.

2002 Blue Z-71. Loaded with everything except the sunroof. Beige Leather Interior. American Flag Bow Tie and hitch Cover. More Mods to Come!!
KMS_RB_34

Z71

Awards
« Reply #38 on: 12/17/02 02:28 PM »

How much is the XUV Snugtop for the AV?
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #39 on: 12/17/02 03:40 PM »

Best price I have heard so far is $2000 plus $65 for the install. This will vary from dealer to dealer. Some have reported dealers wanting over $2400 plus another $300- $400 for shipping.

Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #40 on: 12/17/02 03:58 PM »

I just had my Snugtop installed today Smiley. $2455 total.  >:(That's $1850 for the Snugtop, $238 labor, $175 shipping, and $192 tax.

I ordered mine from the salesman who sold me the truck. Ordered it about 1 month before my truck came in.

Make sure if you order one, you get everything in writing. I didn't. Salesman just told me the price and said they didn't know how to write up the order since it was a brand-new item. Sad, and an extra $80 just happened to jump onto the bill.   veryveryangry

The top is great! Cheesy Just sucks that it's so expensive. I looked into it, and nobody else makes a top for the AV. You have to order it through a dealer  Sad$$$ Sad. Snugtop will not sell it directly to you veryangry.

2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500 (Arrival Blue), 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed (Black), 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (Bermuda Blue Metallic), 2001 Chevy Blazer Trailblazer 4 door (Black), 2004 Chevy Blazer LS 4 door (Light Pewter Metallic)
Strigil

What was that crunching sound?

Awards
« Reply #41 on: 12/18/02 02:30 PM »

I got mine on October for $2,000, installed.  It was $ well spent.

2002 1500 Z71 Metallic Forest Green, leather, stripeman charcoal metallic insert lettering, silver metallic tailgate lettering, weathertech wind deflectors, billet grill, Myron & Davis 7" headrest video monitors,Snugtop, Cargo Pro Bedslide
BlackAv2002
« Reply #42 on: 12/18/02 02:38 PM »

I just had my Snugtop installed today Smiley. $2455 total.  >:(That's $1850 for the Snugtop, $238 labor, $175 shipping, and $192 tax.

I ordered mine from the salesman who sold me the truck. Ordered it about 1 month before my truck came in.

Make sure if you order one, you get everything in writing. I didn't. Salesman just told me the price and said they didn't know how to write up the order since it was a brand-new item. Sad, and an extra $80 just happened to jump onto the bill.   veryveryangry

The top is great! Cheesy Just sucks that it's so expensive. I looked into it, and nobody else makes a top for the AV. You have to order it through a dealer  Sad$$$ Sad. Snugtop will not sell it directly to you veryangry.

So where is the pics?Huh

I originally ordereda snugtop for my av when I bought my truck in August  it cost me 2000.00 with installation + tax.   I ended up selling the top because I got the cladding painted and figured the top wasnt a great idea.  

I wanted to get the truck from a dealer on LI but Ramp chevy wanted way too much for the top as did everyone else on the island.  thats why I ended up going to NJ.

LEts see pics of the arrival blue top
GMFC1
« Reply #43 on: 12/20/02 11:28 AM »

Ordered a Snug Top with my 2003.  It came in 2 weeks ago, it's the first one my dealer had seen (Paradise, PA).  Anywhy they attempted to install the top.  After 6 hours they gave up.   The top seems to be about 1/2 inch too narrow on the drivers side rear  This is making the door catch bind too.    The following day they took some digital pics and sent to snug top.  No solution.   They tried it on another Avalanche, same thing.   Now they are asking if it's within "standard manufacturing tolerances"  and some garbage about Avalanches having a flexible body.  Still no relsolution.

I've got 2 grand tied up in this thing and it doesn't fit down on the gaskets in the back.  If we force it'll probaly break.

Anyone else heard of any problems with the Snug Top fitting a 2003?
sjudson

Awards
« Reply #44 on: 12/20/02 12:04 PM »

Try going direct to SnugTop,he likes to use the phone to answer your questions-Let us know how it turns out-Here is the e-mail address for Richard at SnugTop-----rflores@snugtop.com

SteveTimm
Charter Member

Live to Hunt Hunt to Live

Awards
« Reply #45 on: 12/20/02 12:22 PM »

My dealer, Town & Country Chevrolet, in Milwaukie, OR sold my Snugtop for $2015 installed.  They cut a deal with the local Snugtop distributor, All American Canopy, for installation.

I paid T&C and All American called me when the canopy arrived two weeks later.  The install was sweet and simple -- took about forty-five minutes and most of that was cleaning surfaces and making sure everything was perfect.

I suppose that in this life there are canopy installers and there are automobile/truck mechanics.  I think it was wise of T&C to have canopy installers, not mechanics, install my Snugtop.

A forklift and canopy experience really helps.

I am totally thrilled with the Snugtop and would buy another in an instant.

Steve

2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD LTZ CC/SB Z-71 Victory Red with Graphite Leather. LTZ Plus Package, Convenience Package, Factory Rear Vision Camera System, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Offroad Suspension Package. Every Needful Option. THIS IS MY PERFECT PICKUP TRUCK!!!

2004 Summit White Tahoe LT with literally every option (sunroof, skid plates, XM radio, side air bags, etc), Billet grille covers, PIAA headlamps, plus Fast and the Furious Euro tail light lenses.

NRA Endowment Member.
GMFC1
« Reply #46 on: 12/21/02 12:57 AM »

The dealer has been on the phone with Snug Top numerous times. "they're still discussing it"   The guys who did the install did a great job, I was with them the whole time.   In fact they found a way around Snug Top's insructions to drill a hole in the top of the side cabinet door for the taillight wire.  I've had trucks and tops for years and there's some real animals doing top installs,  these guys didn't cause the problem.

The problem is this particular snug top is narrower that my truck.  Kinda like me trying to wear the same shirt I wore when I was 20.

Thanks for the input

Steve S.
Brangus
« Reply #47 on: 12/27/02 01:49 AM »

Had to trade in AV.....I have a black Snug Top and a bed slide for sale....Anyone in the Houstone Area can really save some money.....will sell both for $1400.00 and you pick em up...I am about 45 miles north of Houston.....
sparky
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

Put on your seatbelt, I'm gonna try sumthin'

Awards
« Reply #48 on: 12/27/02 05:44 AM »

Had to trade in AV.....I have a black Snug Top and a bed slide for sale....Anyone in the Houstone Area can really save some money.....will sell both for $1400.00 and you pick em up...I am about 45 miles north of Houston.....

Hi,
   I am not close to you by any stretch (Canada) but I can likly arrange shipping pretty quick. So the snug top is black, is the bedslide the model for the Av that does not require drilling??

02 blk Z71 Born 06/01 K&N Gen2, HF flow exh., drop kit, cladding paint, Cargopro, TOGs, Whipple S/C, Whip tuner, ramair hood, Stripeman Z71, 20" Epic Blitz, 22" Players, Stull grl, custom BT, JVC 12 disc cd, spoiler, sunvsr, sail window, SLP Rockers, much more..
PictureTrail Gallery
GMFC1
« Reply #49 on: 01/16/03 01:18 AM »

Well the saga of the snug top that doesn't fit continues.   It's been shipped back to snug top for them to see the problem.   Anyone want a dark grey one for a 2003 I bet will be able to buy it cheap.....They're still screwing around with who is paying the shipping and they're "restocking charges".

Bottom line is I got a snug top that was out of wack and didn't fit and have been jerked around for 2 months now.  They still don't know if they're shipping me a new top or what.....I've given them to the end of this week to ship a top or refund me the $2000 I put out.

What a joke this turned into.

Steve S.
planetav

WWW Awards
« Reply #50 on: 01/16/03 01:34 AM »

Good Morning,

Let me know how I can help. I work for a GM dealership in JAX, FL and I can sell the snugtops. typically it takes about a week for shipping....

I have sold several and both are CAFC members.

just my $.02
LoopySilverado

Awards
« Reply #51 on: 01/16/03 01:57 AM »

Sorry for your problems GMF, wife was going to order a sung top for my birthday.  But with problems you are having with company and reading about another top that did not fit right, purchase has been put on hold.... dissappointed

02 Z66,White,amber DRLs,DashMat,billit control knobs,radio neon,blue LEDs(eight)inside the
veh,,billit grill,wind deflector,05&06 SilverStars,50wFogs,running boards,Stripeman white letters,visor lables,pin stripes, Av pillar decals,window visors,K&N filter,Line of Fire,Flowmaster70, SS tip,SS hitch bumper,billit ant.,billit fuel door,sail inserts, seat covers,splash guards,brush guard,Optima deep cycle batt.,12vminifrig.100wSRB lights,bowtie decal,bedslide,alum.step-plates,dia. plate floor mats..
Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #52 on: 01/16/03 07:50 AM »

I think that Snugtop not fitting is a rare thing. I haven't heard of any other problems with the Snugtop. I had mine put on right when I bought the truck. Expensive, but they're the only ones selling a cap for the AV.

« Last Edit: 03/09/03 02:46 AM by spweebles » Logged

2003 Chevy Avalanche 2500 (Arrival Blue), 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab Long Bed (Black), 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (Bermuda Blue Metallic), 2001 Chevy Blazer Trailblazer 4 door (Black), 2004 Chevy Blazer LS 4 door (Light Pewter Metallic)
dawnberk
« Reply #53 on: 01/17/03 07:59 AM »

Hi all.  I've had my Snugtop for over 6 months now and LOVE it, especially the extra room it gives you.  The reason I am posting is that we actually had a hoist/pulley system installed to our garage ceiling for the putting on and removal of the Snugtop.  It was the best thing we have done since buying the Av.  It's very simple and saves you a lot of hard work.  We had a contracter come out (since we're not very handy) and he installed it in about 3 hours.  If anyone is interested, I highly recommend you contact the company we used.  They were great about this whole experience, especially since he had to modify his other truck cap lifts because the Snugtop for the Av is a new thing.  

Name of the company is Top/Cap EZ Lift out of Valencia, CA at http://www.topcaplift.com or 800-760-2853.  The person we worked with was Bruce.  Price of the kit plus shipping (to Illinois) was $231.  

Thought I'd just let all of you know you had this option!!
crott

This vehicle rocks!

Awards
« Reply #54 on: 01/18/03 03:26 PM »

Hey, dawnberk;

I've been considering a Snugtop... but have a couple questions you can undoubtedly answer.

1) How long does it take you to remove/install your cover?

2) I assume from the pictures that the storage bins are inaccessible while the cover is on - what do you do with the tire-changing "stuff"?

3) Does the Snugtop seal OK?

2003 dark gray 4X4 2500.
sjudson

Awards
« Reply #55 on: 01/18/03 07:34 PM »

Hey crott,
1.Take off is not an everyday thing-You might want to check on toplift.com

2.You have lost your side storage bins-You can keep the Jack parts below rear seat or add inside side storage hatches(click on my picture or do search for Bed Hatches)

3.The Snugtop seals great
« Last Edit: 01/29/03 01:51 AM by sjudson » Logged

Fastgun

Awards
« Reply #56 on: 01/28/03 08:02 PM »

What a great site...tons of good info...
We are considering a top for our Av.  But we would like th option of being able to remove it at will.  Can anyone tell me how it is attached?  Do we have to drill holes in anything?  Also I loved the mods sjudson made to his Av.  Where did you get the hardware for the "hatch" in the bed?
sjudson

Awards
« Reply #57 on: 01/29/03 01:50 AM »

Thanks Fastgun,there is a post back about 20 pages called Bed Hatches that states how I did this one.The hardware came from one of those old hardware stores that seems to have everything and not in a package of two for $ 2 .This looks like your first post,let me know if you have problems with doing a search.Bed Hatches is in Assy & Mods about 60 days back.

Fastgun

Awards
« Reply #58 on: 02/04/03 04:44 PM »

Thanks, SJudson.  I am new to the site but have been spending a lot of time here. I'll try and find the msg you posted. Thanks again.
red_neb_av

Awards
« Reply #59 on: 02/26/03 03:19 PM »

Is the snugtop sealed up tight to not allow water in?
carriles

2BE1ASK1

WWW Awards
« Reply #60 on: 02/27/03 08:12 AM »

Steve, Do you think it would be possible to buy just the sail windows???

Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #61 on: 02/27/03 11:23 AM »

Is the snugtop sealed up tight to not allow water in?

I've had my Snugtop on the truck since I bought it around 2 1/2 months ago. It doesn't leak at all.

grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #62 on: 02/28/03 02:40 AM »

Just a caution about putting the snugtop on & off.  Its actually fairly easy, and attaches with 4 bolts in the front(ones that replace four of the bolts on the cladding just behind the top of the cab) and 2 bolts replacing ones on the hand grabs at the rear corners of the bed.  There is no drilling.  However, be VERY carefull anytime you put the top on -- if you happen to overtighten or cross-thread the bolts, the nut built into the cladding will give and spin.  When the dealer/snugtop originally installed the top the tech cross-threaded one of the front bolts.  It had to go to the boddy shop for repair.  I think they tried a glue which didn't work.  After this gave way, they ended up replacing the nuts inside the cladding with somethin more sturdy -- no problems since then.
Both the dealer and Snugtop have been great to work with -- I would definately buy from both again.
ski43

Awards
« Reply #63 on: 02/28/03 10:46 AM »

Hey, Grizzly, I think my dealer is having the same problem with mine, crossthread bolts in the front, could you give me your dealer's phone number, so i can find out how they fixed yours.
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #64 on: 03/01/03 03:20 AM »

My dealer is:
Thorobred Chevy
2121 N ARIZONA AVE
CHANDLER, AZ 85225-3414
Phone: (480) 899-0131

If you have the service department lookup work done
On the Johnson-Covey 02 Avalanche they should be able to tell you what needs to be done.  Just make sure they use the information from the second visit for this problem.
Hope this helps
trdltli

Awards
« Reply #65 on: 03/04/03 02:43 PM »

We got our shell for a 2002 AV  8/2002
We were not happy with the white shell, it didn't match the white of the truck.
I took it to the Snugtop factory   (Long Beach,Ca )
They could not see the difference , but to keep the customer ( me ! ) happy,
the shell was color matched ( by taking the gas cap off and matching the color )
and repainting the whole thing.
I consider that excellent customer customer service !!!!
Oh yes, it does not leak ,  Water that is !
But !!!!!!!
Dust gets in the back !!!!!!
Has anyone else had that problem ?

Leonie
mrosenfield

Awards
« Reply #66 on: 03/08/03 02:34 PM »

FWIW, I just checked with a Phoenix Snug-top dealer, who told me that in a few months, the exclusive contract with GM will be up, and he could sell it to me direct for less money.
The sail windows are available thru the club store; here is the link. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/store/partner_good_news.html
chevy
red_neb_av

Awards
« Reply #67 on: 03/09/03 01:27 AM »

I have been considering getting one.  Does anyone have an idea how much the GM Tax is? chevy
Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #68 on: 03/09/03 01:37 AM »

Tax? Do you mean sales tax? If so, that should be whatever the sales tax is in your area.

Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #69 on: 03/09/03 01:44 AM »

FWIW, I just checked with a Phoenix Snug-top dealer, who told me that in a few months, the exclusive contract with GM will be up, and he could sell it to me direct for less money.
The sail windows are available thru the club store; here is the link. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/store/partner_good_news.html
chevy

This is the first time I'm hearing of this. This would be great for anyone that is considering getting a Snugtop in the future. Mine was about $2500 including everything. A word of advice... If you decide to order it from the dealer, you may want to order it directly through parts. I ordered mine along with my AV and the salesman handled everything. Somebody along the way, lined their pockets a little with some of my cash by jacking up the price when I went to pick up my AV with my new Snugtop on it. veryangry

My vehicle was purchased at Ramp Chevrolet in Port Jefferson, NY. Angry
« Last Edit: 03/09/03 01:48 AM by spweebles » Logged

red_neb_av

Awards
« Reply #70 on: 03/09/03 08:24 AM »

By "GM Tax" I mean how much less will Snugtops be when the exclusive contract with GM is up (re post #29).
ski43

Awards
« Reply #71 on: 02/20/03 01:21 PM »

I just got a snugtop and I am looking for cap lift alternatives.  I only found one made by topcaplift.com, but don't think that version is for me.  Any leads or ideas?
highlander
« Reply #72 on: 03/01/03 02:00 PM »

I think yakima has a four point lift for their cartop carriers.  not sure if it will carry the weight of a snugtop.
highlander  
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #73 on: 02/23/03 02:51 AM »

I installed eye bolts in each end of the cargo pipes on top of the Snugtop.  Then I used chains to conect the 4 points in the center and used a hand crand screw cable wench to lift the top.  I've used this a number of times to lift and lower the top onto the AV and it works great.  The top hangs above my old Ford tractor when not in use.  By using the screw type crank wench, I can put my 1/2 inch variable speed drill to use lifting and lowering the top -- very easy and the whole thing cost me less than $100.
Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #74 on: 02/23/03 02:54 AM »

So you are lifting the top by the cargo bars? Are they strong enough for that? I had the top put on by the dealer, and never removed it, so I don't know how heavy it is. I don't even know how many bolts hold it on.

ski43

Awards
« Reply #75 on: 02/23/03 06:04 AM »

you wrote

I installed eye bolts in each end of the cargo pipes on top of the Snugtop.  Then I used chains to conect the 4 points in the center and used a hand crand screw cable wench to lift the top.  I've used this a number of times to lift and lower the top onto the AV and it works great.  The top hangs above my old Ford tractor when not in use.  By using the screw type crank wench, I can put my 1/2 inch variable speed drill to use lifting and lowering the top -- very easy and the whole thing cost me less than $100.

I ask - what is a hand crand screw cable wench and where do you get one.   How close can you get the top to the ceiling?
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #76 on: 02/23/03 09:45 AM »

I'm not sure how heavy the top is, but I can lift it myself so its not too heavy.  I've had it hanging by the eye bolts for 5 month and no problems
ski43

Awards
« Reply #77 on: 02/23/03 12:40 PM »

It weighs  175-180lbs according to the Mfg.

Grizzy,
what is a hand crand screw cable wench and where do you get one.   How close can you get the top to the ceiling?

rubiconguy

Awards
« Reply #78 on: 02/24/03 07:03 AM »

I'm not sure if you can copy the following link into your browser, but it is designed for carrier. Not sure off the' load rating, but it looks  like you could make it work with some cheap enhancements.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0019155521182a&navAction=push&navCount=3&indexId=cat20181&podId=0019155&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20181&parentType=index&rid=
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #79 on: 02/25/03 03:24 AM »

sorry -- "hand crand cable wench" should read "hand crank cable wench"  the fingers just don't always go to the right place on the keyboard.
grizzy

O2 Z71

Awards
« Reply #80 on: 02/25/03 03:29 AM »

Q1 - I'm not sure I have the wench name correct, but when you turn the crank, your turning a screw gear that then turns the cable spool.  Basically its a gear reduction.  I got mine at Harbor Freight Tools (http://harborfreight.com/) -- I think Northern Tools probably also carries the same thing (http://northerntools.com/).  I'm sure either a chain hoist or an electric wench would also work.  I was a little concerned about using ropes to hold the top over the long term.  That's a lot of money hanging by a thread -- so I used the chain and cable system.

Q2 - Because your pulling on chains hooked to the 4 corners of the luggage pipes on the snugtop, and you have the cable pully at the top of the rafter/beam the top surface of the snugtop will be maybe 15 to 18 inches from the ceiling.  That puts the bottom maybe 36 inches down.

Hope this helps.  
ski43

Awards
« Reply #81 on: 02/26/03 12:14 PM »

Thanks Grizzy
Steve
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #82 on: 02/23/03 06:53 AM »

Anyone on the East Coast manage to get the snugtop? How much for top and shipping.  Thinking of getting one for/because of my dogs, but live in Maine.

Many thanks,

Steve,(my dogs take up my backseat and get their paws all over the nifty leather), in Maine

2002 Sunset Orange Z71, all options, including GM Brush Bar, GM/AV logo bug deflector,vent shades, Flowmaster 40 series with Pilot tip,Stillwell "Suicide Knob," , K&N FIPK...much more to come.  I love this truck!
ski43

Awards
« Reply #83 on: 02/23/03 07:05 AM »

Just got one, paid 2150 installed, I think you need to be a good customer of the dealer to get that kind of price.
MGMMM
« Reply #84 on: 02/24/03 05:38 AM »

Got mine in DE for $1900. No sales tax. But they wanted too much for installation, so I did it myself.
Fish
Charter Member

Change for a nickel? Anyone?

Awards
« Reply #85 on: 01/28/03 10:28 AM »

Considering the radio antenna is the highest point on my truck, I've always used it as the "will I fit" measuring tool.  Is the high point on the SnugTop still below the antenna?

Then:
- 2002 1500 Z-71
- Forest Green on Tan Leather

And then:
- 2003.5 Infiniti G35
- Black on Tan Leather

Now:
2003 Ford Ranger EDGE 4x4 (gulp)
Bright solar yellow babay!
sjudson

Awards
« Reply #86 on: 01/29/03 09:40 AM »

The Snugtop is about 4" lower than antenna.Let me know if you need an exact

75" exact with 17" wheels &265/70/17 tires
« Last Edit: 01/30/03 08:34 AM by sjudson » Logged

rcornwell1

Chevy Avalanche "I Like it"

WWW Awards
« Reply #87 on: 01/29/03 03:44 AM »

I'm thinking of buying the Snugtop XUV Tonneau Cover.  Does anyone on the forums have a comment, pro or con on this accessory?Huh

Thanks
Bob
02' AV
Colorado Springs, CO

Bob
2002 Z71
Colorado Springs
HeavyD

Vaya Boricua

Awards
« Reply #88 on: 01/29/03 03:58 AM »

Do a search I've seen this subject here, me honestly, I am not to crazy about it, you loose the use of your side compartment.and my wife after seeing pictures of it tells me for that matter i should have gotten a Suburban.

Wrngler dual batt set up, 22" chrme sumr wheels, 16" Mickey Thompson wintr wheels, Upr ext clding, Kwood DNX 7100, Infinity dr spkers, 2 Hyphonic amps, JL mg, 9" Vizualgic headrst mntr w/ built in DVD player, 7" Vizualgic sun visr mnitr, rear view camera, multi colr undr car light, HID head lghts, Westin SS bull bar with PIAA drvng lghts, EB clasics ss grille, JBA headrs, Volnt CAI, FM super 40, paintd cadi eng covr, steel slde, chrmed a/c vnts, Autowood steering wheel, 3" PA bdy lift, Hotchkis sway bars,..
Borg

Awards
« Reply #89 on: 01/13/03 09:51 AM »

After searching the threads, I'm unable to find a picture of a '03 dark grey AV with a snugtop.  Anyone have one, and want to post a picture?

Just curious as to what mine would look like with a snugtop.
Thanks!

'03 Dark grey metallic Z71 1500
sjudson

Awards
« Reply #90 on: 01/13/03 10:11 AM »

There is a good chance you won't get a reply but I think it will look GREAT.With the dark cladding and the dark grey the transition should be a good blend.There are some pictures of mine in black if you click on picturetrail below in sig box

Borg

Awards
« Reply #91 on: 01/13/03 11:32 AM »

sjudson-
I was looking at your pics yesterday.  You have a VERY nice truck!  I especially like the hatch mods you did.  IMO, a must have with the snugtop!  Nice LOF too!

Do you happen to know how much that snugtop weighs?

'03 Dark grey metallic Z71 1500
SKYREED

Awards
« Reply #92 on: 01/13/03 12:39 PM »

I ORDERED A DARKGREY AV, SHOULD BE IN BY END OF THE MONTH.  I WANT A SNUG TOP ALSO IS IT EASY TO INSTALL AND TAKE ON AND OFF?
sjudson

Awards
« Reply #93 on: 01/13/03 09:23 PM »

Borg,Thanks(I do like my AV).I guess it to be 175 lbs. and besides a little help guiding it into place I installed it myself with a come-along(cable hand winch)There is a post on the hatches in accy.& mods under Bed Hatches appox 16 pages back with step by step instructions on how I did that one.I also tied in some small lites from the cargo lights to have a switched overhead lite(comes with a battery operated lite).The Snugtop cost alot and is not for everyone but very well made,please e-mail me if you need any help.Due to the many different ways the inside can be set up,taking on and off might not be needed but is not that hard.Please post a picture when complete.

MGMMM
« Reply #94 on: 01/14/03 06:43 AM »

SKYREED,

The top comes in a massive crate. I unpacked it at the dealer's and loaded it into the bed to be installed when I got home. The paint on the bottom edges got scrapped off, which really POed me. But I had no one to blame. Also lost some of the rubber washers on the bottom around the screw holes. Took weeks to get replacements from Snugtop.

When I build my home with garage, thinking of installing a pulley system to lift the top off and on. Requires at least 2 strong and careful guys. Bit difficult to get it positioned so that all the holes align correctly.

sjudson's is awesome with the mods he has made.

Steve

sjudson

Awards
« Reply #95 on: 01/14/03 08:25 AM »

MGMMM is right about shipping damage I had wear at the top edge which the dealership said they would repair but I did it myself.Also missing 1 top mounting bolt which I got at a bolt store and the instructions were missing which I got by and then had them e-mail a copy for the file.I move it with the create in the back of a small trailer,once you have it in place you can position it from inside with your back pushing up on inside ceiling.All in all the dealership should do it for $50 or so.I don't think you will have any owner that is not happy with the finished product.Again thanks for the praise(to much time on my hands)

planetav

WWW Awards
« Reply #96 on: 11/20/02 02:50 AM »

I hope this is ok to post it here. But my fleet manager just got his AV painted 2500 4x4 and the snug top in. go to my sig and snug top section.

enjoy.

if you want more pics, let me know. I will do my best.

« Last Edit: 11/27/02 03:19 AM by rfleming » Logged
ZimmsAv

Nightime DRL's!

WWW Awards
« Reply #97 on: 11/20/02 04:00 AM »

Looks cool Planetav! thumbs_up
Thanks for posting.  I beleive those are the first pics posted of the inside.

What does the snugtop use to cover up the sail panel windows?

Royal Oak, Michigan
ZimmsAv Pics
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #98 on: 11/20/02 04:27 AM »

Good job on the mod, looks nice. What's the difference between that and a white Suburban? Aside from price and paint-covered cladding that is.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
planetav

WWW Awards
« Reply #99 on: 11/20/02 04:33 AM »

hey gang,

the snug top sail panel windows look so cool from inside and out. I will take a closer pics. I had Sjudson stop by to look at it closer and so far, everything is so sweeet.

back to the subject:

both sail panel windows is on both sides. has a seal and you cannot purchase it seperately.

I have already tried to buy it from my parts dept.

as far as the install, took 30 min. I will get more details on it. I did not do the actual install but I will get more details.

will post more pics and info
txyank1
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #100 on: 11/20/02 05:17 AM »

I think it looks much better with the monochrome paint job. But it still tends to looks like a add-on. They just don't blend in as well as a cap on a pickup. Might be better if they were made so that you had to take the covers off the tool bins and maybe incorporate a cover for them as part of the Snugtop. But nevertheless it's a good looking rig.

'03 LPM WBH Base model W/Buckets&Bose 2/13/03-1/16/06.
'05 BBM WBH Base model W/Sun&Sound 1/16/06-6/3/06
'06 SBM WBH Z66 W/Sun&Sound 6/3/06-- : Pro Cold CAI W/Airaid tube; VentVisors; Lloyd Mats; MagLite Mod; Painted: BT, grille mesh, engine cover, hitch cover; Tahoe Z71 rear bumper; Gatorbacked on 3/4/09;
mepierce
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Kick it!

Awards
« Reply #101 on: 11/20/02 05:25 AM »

I like the Snug Top look.  ABout how much does a mod like this cost (painted)?

Pierce
2006 Avalanche 1500 Z-71 - Loaded!
planetav

WWW Awards
« Reply #102 on: 11/20/02 06:26 AM »

I have ordered one my fleet manager as well as for sjudson and sold them the snug top for $2200 + tax.

The snug top comes fully equipped with sail panels and hardware and painted the color of your choice.

let me know.

planetav

WWW Awards
« Reply #103 on: 11/20/02 11:49 PM »

Good job on the mod, looks nice. What's the difference between that and a white Suburban? Aside from price and paint-covered cladding that is.

the only thing it's missing now is 3rd row seat. pricewise is the same on this 2500 4x4 with snug top.

ShapeShifter

WWW Awards
« Reply #104 on: 11/21/02 12:19 AM »

What's the difference between that and a white Suburban?

One big difference I see is that you have the midgate, which the suburban doesn't have. Lets you put messy or smelly things (fertilizer, paints/solvents, etc) in the back without being overcome by fumes in front.

It looks nice, but I have no use for it and think the truck looks better "topless."

-- SS

Navy_Z66_AV
« Reply #105 on: 11/21/02 12:58 AM »

You said TOP LESS great my AV is nude!

Nice mod Planetav.  i saw a Black AV in my area with this mod and it is the hottest thing i have seen a third row of seat would be a killer mod for the AV then.  
None the less as ShapeShifter said I like to go topless also.  HeHe i hope i dont get in trouble driving around topless LOL.  
TXAVy

Awards
« Reply #106 on: 11/21/02 01:36 AM »

Hey, if the price is the same I'd MUCH rather have the modded AV than a Surburban. Just opens up that many more options, especially if the snugtop is removable without TOO much work.

Any chance you've been able to get some close-up pics of the Sail Panel Windows from inside and out yet? I like the looks of some of the custom ones that people have made, but I like the looks of the snugtop style (3 flush bolt heads) the best. And if they won't let us order them separately, perhaps it will just give us a good idea on how to make them that way on our own.

ARRIVAL BLUE, '03 Z-71
ShapeShifter

WWW Awards
« Reply #107 on: 11/21/02 03:54 AM »

Any chance you've been able to get some close-up pics of the Sail Panel Windows from inside and out yet? I like the looks of some of the custom ones that people have made, but I like the looks of the snugtop style (3 flush bolt heads) the best. And if they won't let us order them separately, perhaps it will just give us a good idea on how to make them that way on our own.

There has been a lot of snug-top discussion in the past, with lots of pictures, including closeups of the windows inside and out. Do a search (go back more than the 30 days, more like 100 to 200) and you should find it.

As for the windows, there is a black plastic molded piece that fits in the sail panel from the inside, and then uses three bolts to hold in the plexi and sandwich the sail panel. You probably saw this thread which looks to be very similar to the snug-top windows, and uses an inner panel, just with hidden bolts. I kind of like the flush look of these.

-- SS

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #108 on: 11/21/02 04:16 AM »

Attached is a photo of the inside of a SnugTop XUV window I took at the delership last summer.

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #109 on: 11/21/02 07:19 AM »

And the outside.

planetav

WWW Awards
« Reply #110 on: 11/27/02 03:25 AM »

here is another Snug top pics on Sjudson. he just got it in. Figure to share it with everyone. Black Z66. Enjoy.

here is a shot from the top looking back:

click on the link to see more.

Snug top pics
KMS_RB_34

Z71

Awards
« Reply #111 on: 12/16/02 08:32 AM »

How much was the Snugtop?
SPRINGFEVER
« Reply #112 on: 10/08/02 05:53 AM »

I just bought a 2002 year end model pewter Avalanche with a "SNUGtop" cap. I haven't seen but one other one and that was in a display at the Chicagoland Speedway for the "Tropicana 400". Are there other "SNUGtop" owners out there? I have made some interesting modifications to the truck bed that you might be interested in seeing. I made a carpeted shelf system that allows easy access to the back for your lawn mower's 5 gallon gas can, grill's propane tank and cooler. This still allows access through the "Midgate" for lumber and prevents items in the back from tumbling forward. A cooler can also be easily accessed from the passenger compartment with the window removed. No tools needed to install or remove the system. It does not attach to any part of the bed but is totally secured in place. Staple gun and circular saw is all you need to make a similar system. Cost is under $100.00 I can post photos with my digital camera if I fugure out how to place them on this site. I have also designed a clothes rack that is not directly attached to anything. It interlocks with the cap roof and sets in the cover slots. My three piece bed cover system is in storage, not much use for them with the cap. You can view the cap at snugtop.com by selecting XUV. I love my cap! thumbs_up
ShapeShifter

WWW Awards
« Reply #113 on: 10/08/02 06:04 AM »

There are several members with SnugTops.

I don't have one, but I'd love to hear more about your storage solutions. I'm sure others are also interested.

As for posting pictures, look here and here.

Welcome to the club, and let us see your truck!

-- SS

B_Dog

Converted!

Awards
« Reply #114 on: 10/08/02 11:19 AM »

If  you figure out how to post pictures, Id like to see some.  I would like to see more of the snugtop, as I haven't seen one in person.  Thanks.

carnut

Avalanche, The Ultimate Urban Assault Vehicle!

Awards
« Reply #115 on: 10/08/02 11:40 AM »

I'd be REAL interested in seeing pics. I've been thinking about buying a Snugtop for my Av. BTW, how much did you snugtop cost, and was there shipping charges involved.  chevy
« Last Edit: 10/08/02 11:41 AM by carnut » Logged

Classic Car Nut, 29 Chevy coupe, 67 Camaro SS and (I must be insane) 73 Vega GT. And now, 2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 loaded. Mods: Waag brushguard, billet grill, ambers, bug deflector, weather-flecters, molded mud flaps, flashlight, fender "flares".
SPRINGFEVER
« Reply #116 on: 10/08/02 11:16 PM »

The "SNUGtop" can only be purchased through your GM dealer, I think it must also be installed by the dealer.  It is pricy, at $2,900.00. veryangry "SNUGtop" will not sell it to you direct! veryveryangry They are the exclusive supplier to GM. I had a choice (out of dealer stock,) between two identical Avalanches with the only difference being that one had the "SNUGtop".  ???The cost was rolled into the payments for me, less pain that way.  ;DYou have to be willing to give up the lockable storage compartments on the bed sides. Huh The cap sits directly on the lockable covers. It does come with a third brake light and a battery powered dome light. idea The insides are fully carpeted and the rear side glass tilts out for ventilation.  :1:It is a quality cap. A roof rack is built into the cap but I will have to figure out how to tie things down up there. There are no tie downs to hold your load forward. You only have the 2" side pipes, (very brauny!) Grin to tie off to. The cap also includes dark tinted glass to enclose the open triangles in the roll bar. I don't like the boot over the rear glass lock, dissappointed but it's necessary when it rains. I only lock the handle when I have valuables stored in the back or if rain is expected and the rubber flap flops in the breeze if you don't have the handle in the locked position. I pulled the rubber boot off, cut the flaps off, cut a round hole for the lock hole and glued it directly to the handle with "Marine Goop". Then I ordered two spares from "SNUGtop" for about 5 bucks each. I'm sure this boot has a relatively short lifespan. I'm off this Friday and will try to take some digital photos. Rain is predicted for Friday so only time will tell. I still don't know how to place the photos on the forum page but hope to get that figured out by next week. Any help out there on how to accomplish that would be appreciated. idea
Strigil

Awards
« Reply #117 on: 10/09/02 12:59 AM »

$2,900?!?!   I thought the banditti at my local dealer were a little pricey when they quoted me $1,850 + $350 for shipping.  I was balking @ that and looking for a better price.   I haven't found one, and some of the dealers have never even heard of the SNUGTOP at all.   I showed one of them the accessories brochure that I printed from the internet and his comment was "Where'd you get that, it sure would be nice to have?"  He was talking about the brochure.

2002 1500 Z71 Metallic Forest Green, leather, stripeman charcoal metallic insert lettering, silver metallic tailgate lettering, weathertech wind deflectors, billet grill, Myron & Davis 7" headrest video monitors,Snugtop, Cargo Pro Bedslide
SPRINGFEVER
« Reply #118 on: 10/09/02 02:25 AM »

I had heard prices like you have stated, $1850 plus $350 shipping. They must add $700 for installation if it is already installed on a vehicle out of dealer stock. I thought the top was a little too expensive and I didn't really have to have it, I just had to have it! I got some discounts and a good price for my trade in to help off the cost of the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought. My first house was cheaper, and that was with a 30 year payment plan! I hope this doesn't give my age away. I hope you can get it for the prices you have stated. Good luck!
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #119 on: 10/09/02 02:36 AM »

The price in Portland, Oregon is $1950, plus $60 installation.  This is full retail and you shouldn't have to pay more.

Might check mine out:  http://www.picturetrail.com/stevetimm

In my opinion, the Snugtop/Bedslide is the ultimate Avalanche modification.

Steve

2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD LTZ CC/SB Z-71 Victory Red with Graphite Leather. LTZ Plus Package, Convenience Package, Factory Rear Vision Camera System, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Offroad Suspension Package. Every Needful Option. THIS IS MY PERFECT PICKUP TRUCK!!!

2004 Summit White Tahoe LT with literally every option (sunroof, skid plates, XM radio, side air bags, etc), Billet grille covers, PIAA headlamps, plus Fast and the Furious Euro tail light lenses.

NRA Endowment Member.
MGMMM
« Reply #120 on: 10/09/02 07:02 AM »

Here's a pic of mine. Total cost was $1900 (no sales tax in DE). Parts manager claimed she sold it below her cost. Whatever. Installed it myself.

Really love it but can't figure out how to get off the rails that support the bed covers without damaging them. Want to install an elevated plateform for sleeping and they get in the way.

Steve

[attachment deleted by admin larger then 100KB]
SPRINGFEVER
« Reply #121 on: 10/09/02 09:54 PM »

Steve, "SNUGtop" looks great on your Av. I will be posting my bed configuration within the next week. With the way I set mine up the sleeping would be done at the bottom level with your head up against the back of the front seat and all your supplies safely stored on the platform level. I had to remove the system to haul a bottle of argonne last night. I removed the entire set up within 2 minutes. It will go back together just as fast and without any tools. It's been raining here in Tennessee so I haven't been able to take any photos yet. I will be posting them soon.
MGMMM
« Reply #122 on: 10/10/02 04:07 AM »

Springfever,

I'd be interested in seeing your clothing rack. I put in a bar but am not happy with it. Will post a pic when the rain stops.

I am planning on putting in a platform using the 2x6 indentations in the bed. That way I can have storage underneath to replace the lost side bins. Not sure of using the bed covers for storage. Too much glass and no tie-downs. I drive hard and fast and need to have everything secured.

Steve
Matts_U.A.V.
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #123 on: 10/10/02 05:19 AM »

Thanks to Snugtop for sponsorship.Here's mine, looks geat with the color matched cladding. thumbs_up

Even though I just put it on yesterday, I dont miss the use of the side compartments like I thought I would. Its like a freaking house in the back now

The World Famous.......Urban Adventure Vehicle

(The Avalanche that started the Avalanche)
-Cover and Feature story March issue of FOUR WHEELER Magazine.
-Captioned on cover of March issue of OFF ROAD Magazine,Picture inside.
-Feature story June issue of DAYTONA Magazine.
-American Racing Wheel Advertisements
-Snugtop Advertisements
-Coverking Custom Cover Kit Truck

( too many mods to list)
http://www.offwest.com
Matts_U.A.V.
Charter Member

WWW Awards
« Reply #124 on: 10/10/02 05:21 AM »

one more pic

The World Famous.......Urban Adventure Vehicle

(The Avalanche that started the Avalanche)
-Cover and Feature story March issue of FOUR WHEELER Magazine.
-Captioned on cover of March issue of OFF ROAD Magazine,Picture inside.
-Feature story June issue of DAYTONA Magazine.
-American Racing Wheel Advertisements
-Snugtop Advertisements
-Coverking Custom Cover Kit Truck

( too many mods to list)
http://www.offwest.com
XRover
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #125 on: 10/10/02 05:25 AM »

Matt, you done it again  

Have had 02 and 04 and 07 Av's.  I sold the 07 and downsized.
The 04 was my favorite.
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #126 on: 10/10/02 05:41 AM »

I've been barely able to resist most of the big ticket mods as it is, and now here are good photos of a lifted Av with a SnugTop. I can feel my self control weakening...

MGMMM
« Reply #127 on: 10/10/02 09:21 AM »

Matt,

Totally awesome with the painted cladding matching the Snugtop. Did you paint it yourself or have it done? Cost?

Steve
Z-66Mike

Awards
« Reply #128 on: 10/10/02 01:07 PM »

You got that right about raining in TN!  By the way, where are you in TN.  I live in Dickson about an hour west of Nashville.

Victory red Z-66
Dickson, TN
Mods:Full time Amber DRL, Maglight Mod, 12V Accessory in bed, DRL wigwags with turn signal, and the all important heli in bed mod.
Avrunner

Awards
« Reply #129 on: 10/10/02 02:11 PM »

Cool Avs! Looking Great!  thumbs_up

SoCalCindy
Charter Member

Can't Get Enough!

WWW Awards
« Reply #130 on: 10/10/02 04:20 PM »

Hey Spring...Here ya go... This Av & Snugtop belongs to club member "drummer." He also has a bedslide installed...great setup thumbs_up This photo was taken at the last Southern California Cruise.

Hey....now you can see Matt's before and after pics. Cheesy
« Last Edit: 10/10/02 04:23 PM by Wind4Power » Logged

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK!

NOW ~ 06 DBM, 6" Bulletproof Lift, 35" Baja Claws, 17" Weld Racing Dunes,  Precision Grill, CubbyCam, BedSlide, Magnaflow Dual Exhaust, Outlaw CAI, Dual Batteries, AVIC-Z3, DVD & Headrest LCDs, KC Hilites, Yakima Rack, 4.56 Gears, Superchips, Goodmark Cowl Hood...

PAST ~ 2002 IBM ~ Painted Cladding ~ 18" Helo Slides & much more!

60+ GTG's and counting...
ZimmsAv

Nightime DRL's!

WWW Awards
« Reply #131 on: 10/10/02 10:38 PM »

Nice pic!

Those are some great looking Av's  thumbs_up

Royal Oak, Michigan
ZimmsAv Pics
Hilltop

Awards
« Reply #132 on: 10/11/02 12:21 AM »

Springfever
I also have a 2002 Pewter  in SE MN  with a snugfit topper
I love the look it give the truck plus keeps every thing
Dry. Will work good for us when we go snowmoiling
this winter. in Wis
Looking forward to  seeing your  pictures .
Not real crazy about the lock system  and the cover they give you  to keep the  water out .
Hilltop  Smiley hurl
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #133 on: 12/14/02 08:35 AM »

After reading some of the prices the dealers are charging you guys for the Snugtop, it's no darned wonder we aren't seeing more of them.

The full retail of the Snugtop is $1950.  Since when does anyone pay MORE than retail?  I can see an extra charge for installation (I paid $65).  Charging for shipping is stupid; we pay for shipping every time we purchase any item and at retail shipping always comes out of the dealer's profit.

Frankly, I believe the GM dealers do not know how to market the Snugtop and are cutting their own throats by making it a horribly expensive item.

The Snugtop is a wonderful modification that vastly increases the usefulness and versitility of the Avalanche.  It hurts to see it marketed so badly.

GMs inability to establish a marketing program is a VERY BAD THING for Snugtop.  Just think of all the canopies Snugtop would have sold if the GM dealers weren't so inept.

One thing for sure; when the lockout ends, other canopy manufacturers will start marketing caps for the Avalanche and it will become a more affordable, generally distributed item.  Hopefully, Snugtop's sales will pick up at that time, too.  

The Snugtop is one of the finest of canopies and they deserve to sell higher numbers of an item they pioneered.

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
Jon.Stivers

Eyes of the Eagle

Awards
« Reply #134 on: 11/10/02 07:54 AM »

My Snugtop is on order & should arrive in a couple of weeks.  I hate the thought of losing access to the side boxes - but I need the cap to haul my dogs around.  Anyway, I had an idea I wanted to run by the experts on these boards before I risked any serious damage to my Av.  Without having taken anything apart, it apears that a "hatch" door could be installed to access the side boxes from inside the bed.  This is the type of door I'm considering (rotated 90 degrees):

I found these doors at a couple of RV sites.  One site will manufacture custom sizes, another has stock sizes down to 11" by 18" (for about $75 each).  I would like to cut  rough openings in the sides of the bed and install (rivet?) one of these doors on each side to access the side boxes.  I know some of you have run wires and made other mods in and around the side boxes.  I need to know if there is anything in the sides of the bed I need to worry about before I start drilling/cutting.  I know the molded "plastic" on the inside of the bed is not flat.  Not sure yet if I will "cut down" the plastic to create a flat area to mount the door frame or use a "filler" of some sort between the plastic and the door frame to "build up" a flat surface.  Any and all ideas/comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

Loaded '02 Onyx Black Z-71
sjudson

Awards
« Reply #135 on: 11/10/02 09:39 AM »

This is what I planned on doing when I get my top.You can get the hatches at WestMarine for $50.You will need to cut the metal frame behind the plastic but the hatch it self will give you plenty of strenght(use good mounting screws).Good luck and send us a picture.
« Last Edit: 11/12/02 12:46 AM by sjudson » Logged

Jon.Stivers

Eyes of the Eagle

Awards
« Reply #136 on: 11/11/02 11:19 AM »

Thanks for the tip on WestMarine.  I did a web search on the products they were selling and ended up at the manufacturer's site:

Access Hatch

They sell direct over the web have several sizes that might fit:

OD: 14 15/16 X 12 15/16   Rough: 13 1/16 X 10 7/8
OD: 14 1/16 X 10 1/4   Rough: 12 3/16 X 8 3/16
OD: 17 1/2 X 13   Rough: 15 5/8 X 10 15/16
OD: 19 X 11   Rough: 17 1/8 X 8 15/16

These hatches range in price from $40 to $65, and come in black.  I think I'm going to go with the 17 1/2 X 13 hatch.  I just want to check again to make sure I'm not going to slice through any wires or anything else important when I cut the rough openings in the sides of the bed.  

Thanks again to all,

Jon
« Last Edit: 11/17/02 03:50 AM by irontrain » Logged

sjudson

Awards
« Reply #137 on: 11/12/02 12:52 AM »

Jon you have done your work,this site is great and I wanted black anyway.When you get the hatches let us know how you like them.

Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #138 on: 11/19/02 02:21 PM »

I was just at the dealer today to order my Snugtop Cheesy. Hoping truck and Snugtop show up at the dealer the same day. I was checking out an AV on the showroom floor and didn't realize how big the storage boxes are. Definitely can't let all of that space go to waste.

If I'm understanding this correctly, everyone is talking about putting this hatch opening in the side of the bed to get access to the storage areas?

With the snugtop on, is there any room to possibly cut the top door for the storage compartment, or does the snugtop just sit and cover the entire area. Just wondering how much of the flip over door is visible with the top on Huh.
Kinda scary to think about chopping into the side bed walls and cutting anything that may be behind there in the way.

black_magic

Back in Black!

Awards
« Reply #139 on: 11/19/02 02:33 PM »

When I installed my 12V plug in the bed I had to drill through 3 layers.  The first was obviously the plastic, the second was metal (yep, its just like a pick-up behind the plastic) and last was another plastic layer which is the box itself.  There is at least 2 inches between the first and last layer.

Go ahead, buy a Prius....  I WANT YOUR GAS!

2010 LTZ:  Black on Black MODS: Blacked out bowties, 2.5/1.5" Leveled, 18x9 Ultra Mavericks & 285/65/18 Nitto Terrragrapplers
2005 LT3:  SOLD
2002 Z66:  SOLD
Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #140 on: 11/16/02 09:11 AM »

My AV is being built the week of November 18th. I'm ordering my Snugtop on November 19th from the dealer, so that the AV and Snugtop will show up at the dealer at around the same time.

My questions... How do they put the snugtop on at the dealer? Do they drill holes in anything? Do they remove any of the plastic panels in the back? Is there any way to gain access to the beer and soda storage boxes in the side panels? (I heard that they are blocked by the snugtop). I thought maybe there was a way to cut the top of the panels to gain access from inside the snugtop Huh.

Last question... I got a price of $2375 for the snugtop. This price includes the installation. 2 1/2 hours labor. Just wanted to make sure the price is decent.
I know Snugtop is the only one that makes the top for the AV, so, of course it's going to be expensive.

sjudson

Awards
« Reply #141 on: 11/16/02 09:39 AM »

I am not sure on the install but I will get a chance to see and take pictures this coming week at a dealership.Your price is very good-yes they do cost alot but I have heard do bad reports so far.As for the getting into the side storage I have ordered 2 boat hatches that I will also have pictures of this week installed----view Hatches at this site----www.pompanette.com

Cookie Monster

Me like Cookies!

WWW Awards
« Reply #142 on: 11/16/02 10:40 AM »

Thanks for the info Smiley. Will check back. I'm ordering the Snugtop after only seeing it real quick on a truck in a dealer showroom and in a picture on the snugtop website. Didn't study how it was bolted on to the truck because I just stood for a while with my mouth hanging down to the floor when I saw it. The Snugtop is what made me decide on buying an AV 2500 instead of a Suburban 2500. I wanted an enclosed cargo area that was separate from the cab. With a Suburban you have to put all cargo in the seating compartment with you. Sucks if you're transporting gas cans or a lawnmower. Destroys the interior quickly.
« Last Edit: 11/16/02 10:55 AM by spweebles » Logged

dcs

Awards
« Reply #143 on: 11/16/02 10:52 AM »

The installation is pretty simple. Existing bolt holes are utilized. It only took about an hour and a half and fifteen minutes of that was getting it un-crated. The instructions don't mention removing everything from the storage compartments but I had already done that the night before. The jack can be stored under one of the back seats.
I really like the Snugtop but there are a few things you should be aware of besides losing the storage compartment access.

If you leave the mid-window in place, the tinting of the Snugtop window combined with the tint of the mid-window will block the auto-dimming feature of the drivers side mirror which is controlled by the rearview mirror.

If you leave the mid-window out, the fiberglass odor is pretty strong on hot days. I'm hoping that will deplete with time. I got in the truck one day and my eyes starting watering until I dropped the windows to air out.

The T-handle latch on the Snugtop door is locked when you push it in to the recessed position. This means you need the key to open the door or leave the handle extended which shows others that it is unlocked. It would be nice at times to leave it unlocked and not have it so apparent. I leave the hard panels in place so the tailgate is all that really needs to be locked when the mid-window is in place.

Where the Snugtop door overlaps the tailgate there are pretty large gaps for water to enter. Since I normally have the hard panels in place this isn't a problem for me.

The interior light on the Snugtop is battery powered with a switch on the light itself. They could have run an extra conductor up there with the brakelight wire that could have been tied into the cargo light circuit.

The angled leading edge of the the top (what you see looking from the driver or passenger door) is cut fiberglass, not finished and painted.

Now for the good stuff:

The compliments you get! The compliments you get! The compliments you get!

By leaving the hard panels in place you get two tiered storage. I have a Bedslide to access my tools and equipment and can still haul 4x8 material on the top tier. (Haven't done this yet but you'd have to drive careful because the headrest is all that is between you and the material when you hit the brakes).

The inside is lined with gray carpeting and looks sweet.

I figure the additional weight of the Snugtop on the rear should help out this winter in the snow.

The compliments you get! The compliments you get! The compliments you get!

That's all that comes to mind right now.

p.s. I paid about the same including $350 shipping, 6% tax and they charged 2-1/2 hours labor.

HTH

2002 SOM Z71 Sold
2005 Summit White wbh Z71, Loaded,  Bedslide.
fozie
« Reply #144 on: 11/11/02 06:21 AM »

Did anyone get one of those Snug-fit caps for their AV yet.  Undecided
berto

Awards
« Reply #145 on: 11/11/02 06:28 AM »

if i'm not mistaken, i believe that a few members have them. some even have pictures of them on, maybe do a search, or start clicking on signatures at random and maybe you'll see one, with the second method at least you get to see a lot of nice AVs.

2002 onyx black Z66, sport leather, onstar, flowmaster 50 series delta flow, Chrome Dee-Zee assist steps, 20" Boss 311 wheels, Goodyear Eagle LS 275/55/20, amber DRL's
Strigil

Awards
« Reply #146 on: 11/11/02 06:32 AM »

I got one of the Snugtops about a month ago.  It is very well-made and seems to seal completely.  I got it because I thought it would be useful in upstate NY in the winter.  It does confuse people, however, and they consistently fail to recognize it as an AV.

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #147 on: 11/11/02 06:32 AM »

There are pictures out there. Search under SnugTop XUV. I'll attach some shots I took at a dealer last spring.

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #148 on: 11/11/02 06:35 AM »

And another.

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #149 on: 11/11/02 06:35 AM »

And the last.

JUPITER1
« Reply #150 on: 11/11/02 07:02 AM »

HEY FOZIE,

http://WWW.SNUGTOP.COM
CHECK OUT WEB SITE- PRICEY CREATURE!  LOOKS COOL AND IF SHIPPING TO EAST COAST FREIGHT CHARGE IS $450.00!!

LET US KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT

PEACE
planetav

WWW Awards
« Reply #151 on: 11/11/02 09:36 AM »

I hope I can say this here but I work for a dealership and I can sell them at internal cost which is employee price.

I have worked out a deal with Sjudson and the plan is I can sell it around $2300 shipped and taxed.

for anyone interested, call me at 800-849-3462 and ask for me Richard Fleming.
SPRINGFEVER
« Reply #152 on: 10/15/02 06:32 AM »

If all goes well you should be able to view my modification photos now. Grin   I used "Webshots" to set up three albums. One album is the bed modifications. One contains the plans and dimensions for the modifications. and one contains ash tray and coat hanger modifications. These can be viewed at                  Springfever          
« Last Edit: 10/15/02 07:05 AM by irontrain » Logged
tdaugharty
« Reply #153 on: 10/17/02 12:34 PM »

Seems the mounting takes away from Cargo space?
SPRINGFEVER
« Reply #154 on: 10/11/02 10:18 PM »

These are the photos I took to show the modifications to the bed. I will also try to attach a 707KB bitmap of the assembly instructions as a reply to this message.
SPRINGFEVER
« Reply #155 on: 10/11/02 10:29 PM »

Looks like I've got a lot to learn. It appear to have only attached the last photo in the series. I'll try to send the rest in this reply.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #156 on: 05/08/02 08:37 AM »

The sun finally came out and I was able to get some great photos of my Avalanche 2500 and its new Snugtop canopy.  

This rig super watertight (tested it with a high-pressure fire nozzle) and it offers a lot of load-hauling capacity.  We also enjoy the Bedslide.

To see the photos:

http://www.picturetrail.com/stevetimm

NRA Endowment Member.
coolbeans
Charter Member

The Avalanche takes no prisoners

Awards
« Reply #157 on: 05/08/02 08:55 AM »

I like it!!   Smiley

How does it seal against the sails?

It adds at least 5 more feet to the appearence.
I can see that would be real handy where I'm at.

02 indigo blue, z-71, graphite,GM bug shield,amber drl's, roof rack,only one in town
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #158 on: 05/08/02 09:09 AM »

Seals on the roof, well forward of the sail.  Bolts on using only existing holes (four on sail and two through the center of the rear hand holds).

When I park at shopping centers, I usually return to find from two to ten people standing around it.  They've seen a few Avalanches, but they don't know what this big-ass rig is.

Kinda looks like an Xterra on steroids.

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
wrchism
Charter Member

Chevrolet Avalanche

Awards
« Reply #159 on: 05/08/02 09:24 AM »

What goes in the triangular shaped holes in the sail panels?  

2003 Anniversary Edition Corvette - 2002 Z71 Avalanche
Thanks Chevy for two outstanding Vehicles!
Rescue_1
Charter Member

Work hard... Your taxdollars are paying my salary!

Awards
« Reply #160 on: 05/08/02 09:38 AM »

If you like it great. However it doesn't do much for me. Maybe it is the color, it doesn't really blend in to the truck. Maybe the same color as the cladding/sail panels. That way the sail panels don't look out of place. Don't get me wrong if you like it I'm happy for you but I don't think I'm going to get one.  My $.02.

2011 F350 FX4 Lariat Black on black
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2006 Z71 LT Bermuda Blue AV with everything except NAV Snugtop
Delaware
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #161 on: 05/08/02 10:06 AM »

wrchism,  The triangular holes are filled with rounded triangular pieces of deeply-shaded safety glass.  The glass panels have a thick rubber gasket bonded to them.  The gasket seals the hole.  The inside triangular panel is heavy plastic or fiberglass.  A single heavy duty thumbscrew draws the two triangular panels (inside and outside) together, completing the seal.

Yes, the glass panels are probably expensive, but the look is great.  They have the same reflective properties as the windows and it looks factory-like.

Most of the folks I've talked to think it's a new type of vehicle that they haven't seen.  They don't realize that it is an Avalanche with an GM-sponsored canopy.

Rescue-1     I agree, it isn't for everyone.  On the other hand, I liked the look, just needed more room and I was sick and tired of patching leaks.  This puppy gave me the storage capacity and it is TIGHT.

By the way, the bed panels can still be used to give upper and lower storage.  Heavy stuff can go in the Bedslide (lower) and fragile things (like fishing rods or cased firearms) can go on top of the covers.  

It is still a truck and, in my mind, an even more useful one.  From people's reactions, the Av is cool and the Av with the Snugtop is still cool, but different and more useful.

I don't haul hay or saddles, so all of my trucks have eventually had canopies.  The reason is pure utility in the hunting field.  

No, my Avalanche won't ever be a  driveway truck, but it will see more back road use, needful four-wheel driving and dead critters than most trucks and Avalanches around.

For our purposes the canopied Avalanche is better than any other other truck and better, by far, than a Suburban.  Long live the Avalanche.   chevy

Steve
« Last Edit: 05/08/02 12:15 PM by SteveTimm » Logged

NRA Endowment Member.
NJAV
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #162 on: 05/08/02 12:34 PM »

Very nice...steve.....great looking truck man!!!
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #163 on: 05/08/02 12:42 PM »

Thanks, NJAV

I just love it.  Maybe it is a different vision.  Some guys add performance gear, but the canopy and the Bedslide makes the 2500 Av perfect for our needs and wants.

And isn't THAT what it's all about?

Best, Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
Ghost
CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member

Aye, Laddie...Ya got any beer?

Awards
« Reply #164 on: 05/08/02 01:23 PM »

Steve, it looks sharp.  Does it restrict access to the side boxes?  How does that work?

R.I.P Burner
1961-2008
SOCRATES
« Reply #165 on: 05/08/02 02:28 PM »

Steve,

Thanks for posting some pictures of that canopy at last! I think it looks G-R-E-A-T. I really would like to get one, the price is just a little too steep for me at this point. I'm also unsure of who could do the installation, but after reading your posts, the install seems to be quite easy. Also, do the side windows open? It reminds me of a Ford Excursion in some ways; boxy, bulky, etc., SUPERB! Smiley

Cheers,
Justyn~
« Last Edit: 05/08/02 02:30 PM by SOCRATES » Logged
Carrierdealer
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #166 on: 05/08/02 02:44 PM »

How much does it add to the height of the truck.
Will it fit in my garage is my question.
Can you give me the total addon from the rear hand holds to the top off the rails.
One of my garage door bays is taller than the other.
Also it appears the rear window overlaps the tailgate
making it more secure.
« Last Edit: 05/08/02 10:48 PM by Carrierdealer » Logged
Guest User
« Reply #167 on: 05/08/02 03:14 PM »

OMG how did u find it so fast as AV's r fairly new, it looks sooo cool. I believe u must get everyone asking u questions. I have never seen something like that b4. Wont be long b4 others follow ur lead or did u see it on another?
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #168 on: 05/08/02 04:09 PM »

Ghost,

Basically, the 5-6 inch base ledge of the canopy totally cover the storage box lids.  At first I thought that was a great loss.  When I was able to put all of the stuff I had stored in the side areas in a single plastic milk crate, I felt better.

After looking at the situation, I see why Snugtop did it that way.  It is super solid and has a great gasket.

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #169 on: 05/08/02 04:18 PM »

Justyn  -- Socrates

Yes, finally.  And it is way too cool.

The back one-third of both side windows tilt open.  They are like those that are fairly common on vans.  Solid and useful.

I think I was fairly lucky that the local Chevy dealer worked closely with the local Snugtop distributor.  Both wanted each others business and I won.  Yes, it is an easy installation and it comes with unbelieveable instructions.

Yes, it kinds looks like an Excursion or an Xterra on steroids.  More useful than both because the Avalanche is a TRUCK at heart.  chevy

You can probably tell I am totally thrilled with it.

Thanks for liking it, my friend,

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
chevylover
Charter Member

Nothing to see here.....Just my Bad Ass AV!!

Awards
« Reply #170 on: 05/08/02 04:41 PM »

Guest, the Av has been out close to a year.

2002 Victory Red 1500 Z-71, 4.10 fully loaded.  KN FIPK, 40 series Flowmaster, Magnaflow stainless 4" tips, Amber DRL's, PIAA 9006's, 22% Tint chevy Castro Valley, CA
http://www.PictureTrail.com/daren_james
jackalanche
Charter Member

I spent my lunch money on mods!

Awards
« Reply #171 on: 05/09/02 12:14 AM »

wrchism,  The triangular holes are filled with rounded triangular pieces of deeply-shaded safety glass.  The glass panels have a thick rubber gasket bonded to them.  The gasket seals the hole.  The inside triangular panel is heavy plastic or fiberglass.  A single heavy duty thumbscrew draws the two triangular panels (inside and outside) together, completing the seal.

hmmmm, maybe that side sail triangular fill piece would look cool on its own . . ..  idea

08 Black-Black LT3-Z71, Wrangler Dual Battery kit, Pio AVIC-Z3 HU, XM, Bluetooth, 9" Viz DVD headrest players-monitors, blah blah blah
Twain
Charter Member

Need mod money.

Awards
« Reply #172 on: 05/09/02 12:42 AM »

hmmmm, maybe that side sail triangular fill piece would look cool on its own . . ..  idea

Ditto on the fill pieces.

1500 2WD Blue w/cloth buckets and moonroof.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #173 on: 05/09/02 04:08 AM »

Carrierdealer,

The highest place on the rig is either the fiberglass flair at the front of the tubular rails or the very back of the rail.  I carefully measured (on top of a stepladder) and both measurements come out to be precisely 77-inches from the ground.

Couldn't get an exact measure from handhold to top of rail, so I thought the ground-to-highest place would give you the measurement you need.

My rig is a stock 2500 with no suspension work.  I probably weigh close to 7500 pounds at this time, with Bedslide and canopy.

I was worried about the garage door clearance too.  I measured, remeasured and measured again.  Really couldn't make heads or tails of it. I thought we'd have about two inches of clearance.  When we got home, we cleared the door by four inches.

That's good, because my winter tires (studded, heavy lugged sons of guns) are about an inch taller than the stock tires that came with the Av.

If you need any more measurements, please DO NOT HESITATE to ask.  I'm very willing to help in any way I can.

The more I look at the modified AV, the more I love it.  What a mega-useful, great truck.

And yes, the cutout detail is a great add-on.

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
Shawn A
Charter Member

Red Z-71 - Loaded

Awards
« Reply #174 on: 05/09/02 04:21 AM »

Steve

While this is something that I would have no use for, I think it makes your Av look incredible.  Great job, and I think you may have sold me on the bedslide.  

BTW, great color choice.

Mods: hood def, mud flaps, billet grill, R&D light equip, vent/visors, CatchAll mats, UPD, TBS, 899 fogs, Amber DRLs, silver stars, and strng whl audio cntrls.
imaniguana
Charter Member

I love my second Z71 Av!

Awards
« Reply #175 on: 05/09/02 06:41 AM »

I wonder how that would look with the roofrack on the Av.  Anyone have any pics of that?

03 Dark Grey Metallic, 1500 Z71, OnStar, leather seats with carcass warmers, convenience pkg., sunroof, luggage rack, steps, Bose factory sound, and GM bug deflector, amber DRLs.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #176 on: 05/09/02 08:35 AM »

Imaniguana,

It would look just fine with the Av roof rack.  The Snugtop canopy has two rounded cutouts (one on each side) to wrap around the back of the rack supports.  The whole unit would look like it came from the factory.

Somebody put a lot of thought into the Snugtop.  The fact that it is an official GM option (and the most expensive one) leads me to believe that GM had a very big hand in development and design.

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
LoClass
« Reply #177 on: 05/09/02 09:23 AM »

This is a bit off topic, but what brand/size tires and wheels do you have on the truck?  
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #178 on: 05/09/02 11:27 AM »

LoClass,

The tires are the standard Load Range E Firestones that came with the rig.  The wheels are Modern -- not too fancy, but easy to wash.

Look nice with the truck.

I put my Load Range E Wild Country tires on the cast aluminum factory rims. The Wild Countrys are big lugged, studded, nasty sons of guns that eat asphalt for breakfast.  Actually, they are for all the snow and ice we have to deal with in the winter and they are really nice when you need them.

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
Wetworks

Give me that casaba!

Awards
« Reply #179 on: 05/12/02 03:17 AM »

Grin Cap looks great, Steve.  Good luck with it!

'04 Sport Red Metallic 4x4 1500.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #180 on: 05/12/02 10:51 AM »

Wetworks,

Thanks, Pardner.  As you've probably read, I dearly loved the topless Avalanche, but it was a leaker and we needed more room for hunting.

The obvious solution was the GM-sponsored Snugtop and the Bedslide.  Frankly, the longer I use it, the more I love it.

For sure, our rigs are never just driveway trucks.  This rig is really practical, yet it still has the Avalanche Attitude.

Actually, I've gotten more attention with the Avalanche/Snugtop than the pure-Avalanche.

Thanks for the great comments, Steve  chevy
« Last Edit: 05/12/02 10:52 AM by SteveTimm » Logged

NRA Endowment Member.
Maverick
Charter Member

Chevy Avalanche is a Can o' Corn!  I luv it!

Awards
« Reply #181 on: 05/12/02 04:40 PM »

Looks great Steve.

Is the bedslide aftermarket or your creation?

2002 Indiglo Blue 1500.  Graphite cloth seats. Mountain Z66 decals, Stripeman tailgate letters,  overhead DIC console, Pioneer stereo, XM, Kicker 300x4 amp, Kicker Rs6 door speakers, Kicker CVR 10 in custom box, Carriageworks billet grill, Trenz chrome bowtie.
DoogieDobe

Thanks to All Vets. Be safe!! Come home Soon!!!!

Awards
« Reply #182 on: 05/12/02 05:17 PM »

Steve,

One word....SWEEEEEETTT!!!!!!

I like the idea of the cap for the Av but I'm going to try (after I get my Av) to live with the hard back.  

How does it handle the water factor?  I would think it's bone dry back there with the cap on?

How heavy is it in the event you need to take it off to haul something real big? Can you take it off yourself?

Thanks again for the GREAT Pics.....

Proud owner of 2002 1500 Z71 SOM,lthr,butt toasters,sun roof, GM Bug Basher, Molded Flaps, Locking Gas Cap, rear DC plug adapter and Vent Shades, Flag Bowtie, Line of Fire LED,SONY XM RADIO, CAFC Plate Frame, AMP Billet Fuel Door, Huskie Floor Liners, Euro Antenna, Red White and Blue Lettering, EZ Slider, SStars, Amber DRL, 885 Fogs, BumperFlag, the works!!Now to make more money to pay for it
DoogieDobe

Thanks to All Vets. Be safe!! Come home Soon!!!!

Awards
« Reply #183 on: 05/12/02 05:29 PM »

OOopps forgot my other question.....

The slideout tray....Does that just sit in the bed of the truck?  I wouldd think it needs to be ancored to the bed with screws just wondering....

Thanks again...

DoogieDobe

Proud owner of 2002 1500 Z71 SOM,lthr,butt toasters,sun roof, GM Bug Basher, Molded Flaps, Locking Gas Cap, rear DC plug adapter and Vent Shades, Flag Bowtie, Line of Fire LED,SONY XM RADIO, CAFC Plate Frame, AMP Billet Fuel Door, Huskie Floor Liners, Euro Antenna, Red White and Blue Lettering, EZ Slider, SStars, Amber DRL, 885 Fogs, BumperFlag, the works!!Now to make more money to pay for it
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #184 on: 05/13/02 03:54 AM »

dandan & Doogie

In my opion, the Bedslide is one of the few must-have accessories for a truck.  Yes, it's a commercial product and it is available at truck supply shops.

I'm fifty-eight years old and I've spent a lifetime crawling around in the bed of a truck.  No more.  I simply flip a swich and roll the entire bed contents out.  Gotta love it.

their web site is http://www.bedslide.com.  There is also an old reference to it (especially for the Avalanche) on Ebay.  Might check the Accessories section of this board for the Bedslide (should be on page 4 or 5).  The Ebay thing shows lots of pictures of the Bedslide in an Av and an EXT.

It is a heavy dude, but easily installed by one guy (two is better).  Installs with the two forward bottom tie-down Torx bolts.  No drilling, you just bolt the sucker in.

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #185 on: 05/13/02 04:02 AM »

Doogie,

Thanks for the comments on the Snugtop.  Yes, it is bone dry and adds greatly to the available space.  Plus, the resulting truck is one mean-looking SOB.

I don't know the weight, but an enterprising pair of guys could easily take it off and put it on.  

The rails on top look order-made for a small pulley system.  I am sure that a single guy could handle the canopy, given the correct setup.  Obviously, it would be slow at first, but I'm sure you'd get a system down, with practice.

The Snugtop attaches using available holes, so you don't have to drill or otherwise mess up the rig.  The waterproof seal is a huge B gasket and the kit comes with graded bolts and a rubber block (used as a feeler gauge) so the B gasket is flaired to the proper degree every time (not squished and not too loose).

My rig has always been a leaker and the Snugtop is waterproof.  I tested it with a fire-hose nozzle (I was brutal) and it DOES NOT LEAK.  

Makes me smile when other AV owners constantly complain or are living in the fear of leaks.  The Snugtop makes it a totally tight rig.  

What's not to love about the Snugtop?

Steve
« Last Edit: 05/13/02 05:46 AM by SteveTimm » Logged

NRA Endowment Member.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #186 on: 05/13/02 05:51 AM »

Hey, I found the original link for the Bedslide (the Ebay reference).  It's under Accessories and on page 6 - name of the listing is "Bedslide - THE AV accessory?"

Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1818392209&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1018417245&indexURL=0&rd=1

The link is kinda kinky.  At first, it comes up with "No known item," but it comes up with the proper Bedslide page when you try to back-arrow out of it.  It's a wonderful photo essay about the Bedslide.  The link shows the Bedslide in, out, sideways and crossways.

I love the Bedslide with the Snugtop, but with hard covers, it is an absolute must-have.

Every truck or Suburban I own for the rest of my life will have a Bedslide. 'Nuff said.

Steve
« Last Edit: 07/03/02 07:46 PM by goo929 » Logged

NRA Endowment Member.
Maverick
Charter Member

Chevy Avalanche is a Can o' Corn!  I luv it!

Awards
« Reply #187 on: 05/13/02 11:15 AM »

Steve,

Couldn't pull up your site.  Pulled up on ebay and looked at rear and side view but nothing else.

Could you please post pics of your bedslide slide and anchor system?  I'm sure I could fabricate something that will look up to standard if I just have some picture to look at.

Muchos Gracias!!!!

2002 Indiglo Blue 1500.  Graphite cloth seats. Mountain Z66 decals, Stripeman tailgate letters,  overhead DIC console, Pioneer stereo, XM, Kicker 300x4 amp, Kicker Rs6 door speakers, Kicker CVR 10 in custom box, Carriageworks billet grill, Trenz chrome bowtie.
Supermobile
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Lead Guitar Picker

WWW Awards
« Reply #188 on: 07/03/02 06:54 PM »

dandan & Doogie

In my opion, the Bedslide is one of the few must-have accessories for a truck.  Yes, it's a commercial product and it is available at truck supply shops.

I'm fifty-eight years old and I've spent a lifetime crawling around in the bed of a truck.  No more.  I simply flip a swich and roll the entire bed contents out.  Gotta love it.

their web site is http://www.bedslide.com.  There is also an old reference to it (especially for the Avalanche) on Ebay.  Might check the Accessories section of this board for the Bedslide (should be on page 4 or 5).  The Ebay thing shows lots of pictures of the Bedslide in an Av and an EXT.

It is a heavy dude, but easily installed by one guy (two is better).  Installs with the two forward bottom tie-down Torx bolts.  No drilling, you just bolt the sucker in.

Steve

Steve: Thanks for posting about this product.
I didn't know there was such I thing!

I am 59 years old, never spent a minute crawling in a truck bed, and now, I still won't have to!!

<big grin>.

I am definitely going to get one of these!

Supermobile

Member since 2002. Listen to professionally recorded Avalanche Songs: http://www.larryhaydenmusic.com/avalanche.html
Brangus
« Reply #189 on: 07/23/02 03:00 AM »

FINALLY,,,,,,===== Got the Snug Top yesterday...Had to do some    shuffleing to get everthing stored that I had in the storage  boxes,(cant use them with the Snug Top) but all is well...Everthing fit beneath the back seat and in one storage box in the bed area....Only bad thing about the Snug Top is the limited vision in the rear.  I am going to have to lift this black thing somehow. Thinking about a lift kit....Other than that, I am truly pleased with the Snug Top...It is a good example of good workmanship and a solid product....
Cya guys,
Bob
catrat
« Reply #190 on: 07/23/02 03:08 AM »

Looks AWESOME!
GREAT PICS too!
ZimmsAv

Nightime DRL's!

WWW Awards
« Reply #191 on: 07/23/02 03:47 AM »

Looks great Steve,
 Still leak free??

Royal Oak, Michigan
ZimmsAv Pics
Fyrefyter
« Reply #192 on: 07/24/02 08:11 PM »

Newbie here, actually this is my first post ever, VERY nice looking Av. I don't have one yet but am looking forward to buying one in the very near future. WITH the shell chevy
goo929
Silent Avalanche - In Memorial

I'm now cruising my Av in heaven.

Awards
« Reply #193 on: 07/24/02 08:27 PM »

Welcome to the Club Fyrefyter ...

Let us know if you have any questions.

goo929

Don't cry for me - I'm cruising in heaven with Hooter's babes!
[/size]
gandolphxx
Charter Member

TANSTAAFL

WWW Awards
« Reply #194 on: 07/25/02 12:57 AM »

Steve - looks great Grin What has that done to mileage, just curious?

FyreFyter, welcome aboard Grin

Mods @ The Ultimate Urban Assault Vehicle
2002 K2500 w/ 8.1L 4.10 4x4 4L85E Black - 4" Rancho Lift
11/17/02 60': 1.99 1/4 mi: 14.245 @ 94.45 MPH [68 deg]
vlkwagen

Anthony's the name

WWW Awards
« Reply #195 on: 07/25/02 04:06 AM »

Brangus

I would love to see your AV

Please post some pics of your black AV
I really got to see the combo

vlkwagen

2003 2500 SOM Avalanche - Sold
My Mods List l My Photo Gallery
2005 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Onyx Black
My Mods List l My Photo Gallery
2005 Cadillac Escalade EXT - Riptide Blue
My Mods List
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #196 on: 08/03/02 04:43 PM »

Hi Guys,

I'm back.  Had to do some personal appearances in the midwest.  I write and had to spend some time with my readers.  I wrote up a short thing about the trip in the Avalanche (see it under Avalanche Stories on this board).

Anyway, the question about leaks.  NONE.  We ran into torrential rain in Pierre, SD and the Snugtop kept my guns and gear dry.  Absolutely no leaks anywhere.

Gand,

I think the mileage is about the same.  Average tank was 14-15 on the freeway before.  Appears to be the same with the Snugtop.

We did see a Northface with a Snugtop near Missoula.  I'm not particularly fond of the color, but for some reason it looked much better with the canopy.  Go figger.

I'd love to see photos of the black AV with the Snugtop.

Good to be home.  Our hottest day was 112° and I almost croaked.  Gimme the Pacific Northwest and 75°, overcast days!

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
HeavyD

Vaya Boricua

Awards
« Reply #197 on: 08/03/02 05:29 PM »

Steve It's ok it would be nice if you can rent these for a long road trip with the family, I'm not to crazy about loosing the storage boxes, my wife tells me for that matter I should have gotten a Suburdan If your happy with it it's all good
good luck.

Wrngler dual batt set up, 22" chrme sumr wheels, 16" Mickey Thompson wintr wheels, Upr ext clding, Kwood DNX 7100, Infinity dr spkers, 2 Hyphonic amps, JL mg, 9" Vizualgic headrst mntr w/ built in DVD player, 7" Vizualgic sun visr mnitr, rear view camera, multi colr undr car light, HID head lghts, Westin SS bull bar with PIAA drvng lghts, EB clasics ss grille, JBA headrs, Volnt CAI, FM super 40, paintd cadi eng covr, steel slde, chrmed a/c vnts, Autowood steering wheel, 3" PA bdy lift, Hotchkis sway bars,..
k_favero
« Reply #198 on: 08/18/02 05:25 PM »

well it look good,but if u wanted to inclose the back and
hind the look of the AV,then may u should have bought
a Suburban,sorry just my 2 cents,nothing personal
sands611

Awards
« Reply #199 on: 08/19/02 01:55 AM »

chevy Hello, Looks Awsome!
My only question is Can I just get the Black Out Window panes for my Wing area. I have no way to convice my wife to do the topper but just the window  covers look pretty cool unto themselves.
Please advise if this is possible and a link to buy at?
Looks great-
Hope to hear back on this idea from other AV owners-

Idea, Put in glass and have it etched with a favorite design or something on the tinted area in the sail panel...
Thanks all... chevy

2002 Z-66_ traded on 2004 Z71 (plauged by water intrusion) and sold on 12/31/2005.
New Truck= 2005 Z71 GMC Sierra SLE
Onstar, XM, loaded with everything but sunroof/leather.
Aluminum Block 5.3 @ 310 HP (pretty cool)

Pending Corsa Touring System adn ARE wheels

Silver Stars High, Low moved from 04 Av to GMC pending install of Snake Eyes and LOF
goo929

Awards
« Reply #200 on: 08/19/02 02:01 AM »

chevy Hello, Looks Awsome!
My only question is Can I just get the Black Out Window panes for my Wing area. I have no way to convice my wife to do the topper but just the window  covers look pretty cool unto themselves.
Please advise if this is possible and a link to buy at?
Looks great-
Hope to hear back on this idea from other AV owners-

Idea, Put in glass and have it etched with a favorite design or something on the tinted area in the sail panel...
Thanks all... chevy

Here's the guy you want to talk to:

NEW Sail Panel Windows!

[/size]
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #201 on: 08/29/02 06:31 PM »

thanks G00, an yes i'll be taking orders soon, great looking snugtop! would look really good with painted cladding.

~BIGRED

Full Traction 9.5 Lift, Eagle Alloy Rims Wrapped In 35" Yokohama Geolanders M/T+, Billet Hitch Cover, Flame Antenna, Chrome Grille, Gas Cap, Painted Crossbar, Chrome Bowtie, Smoked Head Lights, Red Carbon Fiber Dash, White Face Indiglow Gauges, USA Flag Tint, PreRunner & Lights, Custom Painted Engine Bay, K&N Filter, Hypertech, Hornet Alarm & Remote Starter![/]
MGMMM
« Reply #202 on: 09/10/02 04:16 AM »

Thanks mainly to this message thread and my correspondence with SteveTimm, I just ordered a Snugtop. Total cost was $1900. I kept asking the parts mgr if that included everything and she said yes. Shipping and handling were listed as $0.

This is the 1st in Del. to be ordered as far as I could determine. Since none of the dealers have experience with installation, I am going to try and do it myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I couldn't tell where the hole needs to be drilled for the 3rd stop light or how to connect the wires. Hopefully it will come with better directions.

If anyone wants to get an upclose look, or even is willing to lend a hand, give a shout to spmfreezone@hotmail.com.

Really have been enjoying lurking and hoping I will be able to add something of value to the forums.

Steve
BlackAv2002
« Reply #203 on: 09/10/02 04:45 AM »

thanks G00, an yes i'll be taking orders soon, great looking snugtop! would look really good with painted cladding.

~BIGRED

I originally ordered mine with the snugtop when I bought the truck  but after I got the cladding painted I decided against teh top because I dont think the paint onthe upper cladding will be receptive to the snugtop.  Has anyone tried a snugtop with teh painted cladding and if so what was teh result.   I also notice that GM doesnt offer teh snugtop for the EXT.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #204 on: 09/10/02 12:33 PM »

Steve,

The installation instructions that come with the Snugtop are wonderful.  They will take you step-by-step through the entire install.

The photographs are clear and detailed, especially about the third brake light tap.

It would help a bunch if you could get a small forklift.

You are just going to love the Snugtop.

Please report.........

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
red-sardogs
Charter Member

sardogs love avalanche

Awards
« Reply #205 on: 09/11/02 05:38 AM »

Steve, or anyone with the Snugtop.  I really want one, but have a height issue with my garage.  What is the floor to top of rack height with it installed?  Dealer and top mfg. hasn't been able to provide that info.  Mine is a 1500, how much taller is the 2500?

Has anyone ordered one from this site's sponsors?  

Thanks for the photos!  (Mine is even red!)

Lynn in KC
Red-SARDOGS
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #206 on: 09/14/02 08:02 AM »

Lynn in KC

I measured my rig and it is 77-inches at the highest point.  Hope this helps.

Some say that the half-ton is very slightly taller than the ¾-ton, because of the slightly smaller tires on the 2500.  Actually, the factory specifications say that the height of both is 73.6-inches (I suppose to the top of the cab or the top of the antenna).  

I have just a standard garage door (38-years old) and it has 82-inches of clearance.  If you have 78-79 inches, you are home free.

Honestly, the Snugtop is the best thing I've ever done for my Av, with the possible exception of the Bedslide.  

The youngsters who are fixated on performing  countless totally useless mods probably think it is an abortion.  Those of us who actually use the Avalanche as a truck absolutely love the Snugtop and Bedslide.

Steve
« Last Edit: 09/14/02 08:14 AM by SteveTimm » Logged

NRA Endowment Member.
Stinky Whizzleteats
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #207 on: 09/14/02 12:52 PM »

Hey Steve were you in the Seattle area yesterday? I passed a red AV with the snugtop on hwy 509 that was stuck in traffic. The truck looked sharp from what I saw as I speeded by.

Indigo Blue, Z71, cloth buckets, sunroof, amber drls, silver face escalade cluster, 2003 dash bezel, ravin Z55 muffler, edelbrock shorty headers, electric fan kit, outlaw cold air intake kit, stainless steel bug deflector, DJ Motorsports stainless steel punch hole grill, all 4 high mod + yellow fogs on with HID headlights, Ticketless bowtie, Nitto All terrain 305/50/20, SLP 1.85 rocker arms, Hotchkins Sway bars & lower trailing arms, 90lb chesapeake bay retriever.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #208 on: 09/14/02 05:06 PM »

Stinky,

It wasn't me.  I was in central Oregon winterizing a piece of vacation property I own there.   On the way back we stopped for a hamburger at the Burger Works in Madras (best burger north of Texas).  Darned near had to beat my way through a crowd to get back to my own Avalanche.

The Av/Snugtop draws much more attention than the barenaked AV.  Love it!

Thanks for asking.  It's great knowing there is another big red 2500 with a Snugtop out there.

Best, Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
dawnberk
« Reply #209 on: 09/24/02 06:16 AM »

Hi all-I am wondering if any of you out there can help with some questions we have on the Av.  I have the Snugtop, and am having a company in CA manufacture a hoist/pulley system for my garage.

Obviously, he's never made this before since it's so new, and he is having some trouble modifying it to make sure it doesn't scratch the side storage  compartments in the back. His usual rigs just have hooks the go on the underside of the cap and then lift from there. But since the cap sits directly on top of the storage compartments, he's scared those hooks would scratch them.

He's got an idea of constructing the system to lift the Snugtop from the top rail bars. This seems like the perfect solution, but we're not sure those bars are able to hold the weight of the Snugtop, especially over an extended period of time.  Snugtop will not guarantee the amount of weight those bars will hold (we also do not know the weight of the top).

He's never seen a snugtop in real life, can't find anyone in the area who has one (including dealers).  I'm wondering if there's anyone in the Valencia, CA area who I can have him contact, so he could take a look at one of these in person??  I would greatly appreciate any help or insight anyone may have.

Also, the price is great, he's only charging $231 to make, and $30 to ship to Chicago where I'm at.   His website is:  http://topcaplift.com/

He also mentioned that because of the earthquakes in CA, all of his devices do have a safety back-up system, if for any reason it gives, the back-up will catch it so it won't fall to the ground.

Thanks in advance,  Dawn
lsuflyingtiger

I love the Chevy Avalanche!  Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Awards
« Reply #210 on: 09/24/02 06:37 AM »

Steve,

That truck looks awesome.  Great mods and I can tell you are really happy.

Jim

Wanted an AV forever, finally got one!

White Z-66; Leather etc.  Added mudflaps and bug shield; flag bowtie, flag rear window, K&N air filter, V-force dual exhaust out the back.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #211 on: 09/24/02 08:56 AM »

Dawn,

Wish I could help out, but I'm way north (Portland, Oregon).  It would seem that the top bars would hold, at least for lifting the Snugtop off.  Then, it could be stored on saw horses or some such.

The bars DO look strong enough, but it all depends on the attachment.  Each bar end is attached with two huge Torx screws and darned if I can see what they screw into.

Maybe a call to the Snugtop factory would help answer your questions.

In looking at it, hooking onto the Snugtop from the little lip above the storage boxes could easily scratch the plastic.  You can't do it through the central side windows either, because they don't open.

Gentle lady, please keep us informed and up to date.  There simply has to be a solution and we will all be richer for knowing it.  Steve

Jim,

Thanks for the nice comments on the Av/Snugtop.  It is truly the perfect rig for us.  Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
MGMMM
« Reply #212 on: 09/25/02 12:35 PM »

Well my Snugtop has arrived (see pic). If you want a close-up look (and might be willing to lend a hand in the installation this weekend), give a shout to spmfreezone@hotmail.com. I live in Wilmington, DE. Will post pics once I get it on.

Steve
dawnberk
« Reply #213 on: 09/26/02 04:41 AM »

SteveTimm-
If it were you, would you chance lifting the snugtop by the top bars??  Just curious  Smiley

I'm thinking we might go forward with this way, but we haven't even taken the top off since it was installed by the dealer, so have no clue as to how strong those bars might feel.  Also, we are actually going to be storing it via the hoist, so that's another thing we have to consider.  (One of the main reasons we decided to do a hoist was for the storage purposes, so we didn't have to take up more ground space--it'll be attached to the ceiling).

Thanks !!!
MGMMM
« Reply #214 on: 09/27/02 07:52 AM »

Dawn,

The top bars are definitely strong enought to use to lift the top. But it is HEAVY. They say 2 people are needed to install it but you really need 3-4 to lift it.

If you use the hoist, I would have a sheet of plywood you could slip in and use for long-term storage. He has a pic on the web site, which I have attached.

Another thing to be aware of. The bottom painted edge along the sides is easily damaged. We scraped off some paint trying to load my unit onto the bed. Also the rear piece of plastic on the bottom is not very strong. Handle with care.

Good luck.

Steve II

MGMMM
« Reply #215 on: 09/28/02 08:50 AM »

Just got my Snugtop installed. Will post a better shot later. We're under severe water restrictions, so have been unable to wash the AV. It usually looks better.

Love the top but a few details were upsetting, especially after dropping nearly $2k:

Two slight abrasions on the sail windows

Windows really don't fit very well. Haven't been able to check for leaks because I can't use my hose.

Screws in the back are just plain and ugly (no cover like the ones in the front). Maybe will paint them.

Dome light doesn't even include batteries

Small chip in the plastic cover for the dome light

Along the bottom are rubber pads/washers. Four of these came off during transit. I found 3 but am missing a washer that goes around a rear screw. They are just glued on and don't know how important they are.

As I mentioned previously, paint on bottom of top got scraped during transport. Called Snugtop (Joe designed the system) and they are sending some touch-up paint.

Told Joe I didn't like drilling a hole in the side storage compartment to run the wires for the 3rd brake light but do agree that there is no other way to do it.

All in all, it's awesome! Have to figure out how to remove the rails for the bed cover, build a bed for sleeping with storage beneath, and run the wires for a 2nd battery to power my fridge.

Thanks to SteveI for his help and inspiration.

SteveII

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #216 on: 09/28/02 03:08 PM »

Lookin' good there, MGMMM! One of these days I might just have to buy one myself. Still so many mods to do!

SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #217 on: 09/28/02 05:06 PM »

Dawn,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.  I write for hunting/gun magazines and fall is a busy time for me.

Yes, I'd personally use a well-padded wide bar across the rails to lift the Snugtop.  A wide bar would distribute the weight and make balance easier.

I'd still vote for long-term storage (high is fine) on a piece of ¾-inch plywood.  

I notice that you the word "whippet" is in your personal e-mail address.  My wife of 37 years and I have a pair of  Scottish terriers (Cassie & Stuart) who are the loves of our life.  Never trust a person who doesn't love dogs.

Please keep us up on your very interesting project.

My best, Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
Jon.Stivers

Eyes of the Eagle

Awards
« Reply #218 on: 09/29/02 12:39 PM »

Dawn,

Think I may have another option for you  idea...

See if you (or your manufacturer) can install metal rings in the lines a foot or two above the devices used to connect to the top rails.  Go out and get yourself a couple of wide tie-down straps.  Use the manufacturer's device connected to the top rails to lift the SnugTop a few inches off the Avy.  Hook one end of the tie-down into one of the rings.  Then run the strap under the SnugTop and hook the other end of the tie-down into the opposite ring.  Do the same with the second tie-down.  (I'm guessing there are four lines used to lift the SnugTop.)  Tighten up the tie-down straps to take the load off the top rail connections then lift away.  If you leave the connections to the top rails rails it may act as yet another fail safe in the event one of the tie-downs breaks.

Could you please e-mail me some info on the company?  I'd like to install some thing like this in my garage to take advantage of the 13 foot ceiling.

Thanks,

Jon

ron_west
« Reply #219 on: 09/26/02 05:42 PM »

Hi Guys,
Where can I get a good price on a Snugtop shell? I'm looking for one for my Dad's truck.
Thanks in advance.
Ron Grin
ron_west
« Reply #220 on: 09/27/02 05:05 PM »

any referals?? Grin
Supermobile
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Lead Guitar Picker

WWW Awards
« Reply #221 on: 09/27/02 05:19 PM »

hit your search button.

type in snugtop

set your number of days back to search to about 180.

Look for posts by steve timm

He has a snugtop.

Member since 2002. Listen to professionally recorded Avalanche Songs: http://www.larryhaydenmusic.com/avalanche.html
scottw17
« Reply #222 on: 08/15/02 08:07 AM »

Just wondering if anyone out there has done any research on the new SNUGTOP caps for the Avalanche.  I know they are located in California but their website dosen't mention anything on $$$.  Go to http://www.snugtop.com and see what I mean.  I'm sure someone else out there could use one of these too.
scottw17
« Reply #223 on: 08/15/02 08:08 AM »

Try this website instead.  It's takes you right to the Avalanche page.  http://www.snugtop.com/wn_02xuv.htm
EarthQuake

Awards
« Reply #224 on: 08/15/02 08:09 AM »

There are a few members on the site with the Snugtops.  Try a search for "snugtop" an you should find a good bit of info.
Wink
ShapeShifter

WWW Awards
« Reply #225 on: 08/15/02 08:10 AM »

Do a search for "SnugTop" and you'll find that there has been quite a bit of discussion about it.

-- SS

jamie
Charter Member

Up the Irons!

Awards
« Reply #226 on: 08/15/02 08:12 AM »

In fact, here is SteveTimm's post on that very topic including pictures of his:Pictures of my 2500 Av with Snugtop

Jamie

scottw17
« Reply #227 on: 08/15/02 08:26 AM »

Thanks for the info on doing the search.  I found the 5 picks and I also have a Victory Red Avalanche.  Yuck.  Maybe if they made some mod to take off the razor back first then install the cap it would be more eye apealing.  Just looked weird going from red to grey and back to red again.  Maybe a all grey cap would have been better???  
BlackAv2002
« Reply #228 on: 08/10/02 04:07 AM »

Has Anyone PAinted the top cladding and installed a snugtop?   I am having teh truck painted and have purchased a snug top as well wondering if the mounting of the snugtop will hae an affect on the painted cladding on top on the sail panels.
drummer
« Reply #229 on: 08/03/02 04:40 PM »

Seeking advice from members with Snugtop and/or Bedslide installed. Here's why:

I traded my '98 Ford Explorer for my 2002 Avalanche about a month ago. I was so anxious to acquire the Avalanche that I forgot why I had the Explorer in the first place, which was because it was easy to load a set of drums into the rear cargo area (no third row seat). It wasn't too high for lifting and everything in the kit fit right there.

Have had a couple of jobs since acquiring Avalanche and have learned that it is really too high for lifting some of the stuff I lug around. Also, the nonskid mat, is just that - it doesn't allow stuff to be pushed around.

Had to take off two top panels and reload one large case into two smaller suitcases and also lowered midgate to store some stuff in back seat area. This entire process was cumbersome, unwieldy and downright frustrating and unpleasant.

It would seem that a Snugtop and Bedslide might well be an answer to loading and unloading drum equipment. A pricey solution, but it might be worth it if it works the way it appears to me.

If you have either a Snugtop or Bedslide installed do you see any downside to having either one, or both? I recall one post where someone mentioned a pulley system to remove the Snugtop. This doesn't make it sound like it's something one would put on and take off very often!

I will gladly listen to other suggestions. Many thanks.
SteveTimm
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #230 on: 08/04/02 06:30 AM »

Hey Drummer,

I have both the Bedslide and the Snugtop.  These accessories made the Avalanche into the perfect truck, at least for us.

No downside that I know of.

The Bedslide allows you to load/unload very easily.  The Snugtop greatly enlarges your cargo capacity and keeps it bone dry.  What's not to like?

You'll love both.

Steve

NRA Endowment Member.
Brangus
« Reply #231 on: 08/04/02 06:35 AM »

I have both the Bedslide and the Snug Top....There is a down side to the Snug Top since it reduces the rear vision even more than it already is....I am used to driving using the mirrors,but my wife will not drive it now..(may be a blessing in disguise)..because she can not see  out the rear...Other than that, I am very pleased with both adds...I am still trying to find out about a method of raising the front and not the rear of the AV....Just need a couple of inches....
drummer
« Reply #232 on: 08/04/02 10:54 AM »

Thanks to both Steve Timm and Brangus! Your responses pushed me over the edge of indecision....gonna get both these babies! Sounds like these additions will not only answer my problem of hauling drums, but will also be great for hauling around ski equipment this winter. Many thanks!
johncw

Kewl!!

Awards
« Reply #233 on: 07/20/02 06:10 PM »

Anyone been able to order just the sail panel windows from snugtop that come with the avalanche xuv topper?  

I sent them an e-mail a couple of weeks ago but haven't received a response yet.  

I am hoping that they will reduce the wind noise from driving with the back window out (and they look cool).

(going to call them next week.)  group buy?
« Last Edit: 07/20/02 06:13 PM by johncw » Logged

2002' Onyx Black 2500 8.1L, 4.10 gears
Bigdaddy_D

Like a Rock, or is it a boulder, maybe a stone....

Awards
« Reply #234 on: 07/21/02 04:46 AM »

Can you post the link showing the "sail panels"

Bad Blue BowTie
02 Indigo Blue 1500 Z71
#1 Modification--DIRT!
johncw

Kewl!!

Awards
« Reply #235 on: 07/21/02 04:50 AM »

Can you post the link showing the "sail panels"

Look at where the arrow is pointing.

http://www.snugtop.com/p_xuv.htm

« Last Edit: 07/21/02 05:08 AM by johncw » Logged

Bigdaddy_D

Awards
« Reply #236 on: 07/21/02 05:06 AM »

Thanks for the picture John, I had seen the picture before but had never noticed the "sail panels" How do they stay in place?

Bad Blue BowTie
02 Indigo Blue 1500 Z71
#1 Modification--DIRT!
johncw

Kewl!!

Awards
« Reply #237 on: 07/21/02 05:12 AM »

Thanks for the picture John, I had seen the picture before but had never noticed the "sail panels" How do they stay in place?

I think they bolt in place with three bolts don't know what they attach to on the inside though.  

Someone who actually owns one might enlighten me :-)

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #238 on: 07/21/02 05:21 AM »

Atteched is a shot a taken a bit closer.

rockslide
Charter Member

My leaky Av

Awards
« Reply #239 on: 07/21/02 08:24 AM »

I also e-mailed snugtop about a month ago, Roll Eyes asking if they would be willing to sell just the sail panels. I never did get a responce from them. Lips Sealed My neighbor works for the local plastic fab shop, he said it didn't look all that hard to cut them to the right size. He just wasn't sure on how to attach them. If anyone that has a snugtop could post a pic on how the sail panels are held in place that would really help alot. idea Wink

Ann Arbor, Mich
GM Bought back my leaking AVALANCHE on Jan 16 2003 9:00am.  What a sad, sad, sad day for me.
vf454

WWW Awards
« Reply #240 on: 07/21/02 10:17 AM »

isn't there a rubber gasket between them or somthing? I have some smoke Plexi Glass That i got from local hardware store to do this but it looked like I was missing somthing when I went to put it in.

SOM,Amber Reverse Lights,Red Light Hitch Cover,Red Puddle lights, vent shades, full time drls on a switch, 5.6 inch lcd , Playstation II, Amber strobes in the DRL housing, Red strobes in reverse lights, red lic. plate lights,885 fogs,full time drls, leaky midgate,  
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #241 on: 07/21/02 10:21 AM »

I remember from another post about the snug top....

They give you two smoke glass.....and you sandwich the sail with them....the nuts are on the inside and the bolts go through the outside.....no real seal if I remember...

Search for the snug top threads...

HTH  IMO LOL

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #242 on: 07/21/02 11:08 AM »

I remember from another post about the snug top....

They give you two smoke glass.....and you sandwich the sail with them....the nuts are on the inside and the bolts go through the outside.....no real seal if I remember...

Thats the way I remember it also. I have to go to the dealer tomorrow so I'll check it out. I'll try to remember to take my digital camera with me and get some inside photos.

BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #243 on: 07/21/02 07:50 PM »

there is a place by my house called tap plastics... they can cut just about anything into any shape... making a pair of "windows" for the sail would not be that hard... just copy the design that snug top has...(shape/size) then make 4 of them.. cut out three holes, add three long bolts and nuts to hold them together... and maybe add a foam border around te edges to help seal them tothe plastic... my guess maybe $5.00 for each 10.00 total for both... i could get black.. or tinted or clear... thats with the price of some 99 cent bolts and foam. i think i just may tackle this project and make a pair for my truck.

would anybody be interested in photos or maybe purchesing a pair if they come out good? i can get pricing after i make a pair.

i'll try to update you guys soon...  

also if anybody has the demenstions that would give me a great head start... it's all down hill from there. thanks

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/15/03 05:19 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

Full Traction 9.5 Lift, Eagle Alloy Rims Wrapped In 35" Yokohama Geolanders M/T+, Billet Hitch Cover, Flame Antenna, Chrome Grille, Gas Cap, Painted Crossbar, Chrome Bowtie, Smoked Head Lights, Red Carbon Fiber Dash, White Face Indiglow Gauges, USA Flag Tint, PreRunner & Lights, Custom Painted Engine Bay, K&N Filter, Hypertech, Hornet Alarm & Remote Starter![/]
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #244 on: 07/22/02 12:58 PM »

I made it back from the dealer and I have some close-up shots of the XUV sail glass. There are three semi- round buttons on the outside. They appear to be decorative only. On the inside there is only one fastener through the inside piece. The inside peace is black and opacque.

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #245 on: 07/22/02 12:59 PM »

Attached is the photo of the inner piece.

BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #246 on: 07/22/02 01:31 PM »

wow that was the last thing i thought i was going to see on that inside photo... what a weird design... well, i came up with my own design.. and it is currently being cut out as i speak... i should have the prototype done by friday. (photos and all). still wondering if anybody is interested? Huh  Huh

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/15/03 05:21 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

RedAV

Awards
« Reply #247 on: 07/22/02 01:50 PM »

wow that was the last thing i thought i was going to see on that inside photo... what a weird design... well, i came up with my own design.. and it is currently being cut out as i speak... i should have the prototype done by friday. (photos and all). still wondering if anybody is interested? Huh  Huh

~BIGRED

Can't wait to see it and proposed cost.

th-motorsports
« Reply #248 on: 07/26/02 06:03 AM »

BIGRED_Z-71:
I'm anxiously waiting too......
WesTexAVY
Charter Member

Charter Member #8 (YGMN is a just a newbie to me!)

Awards
« Reply #249 on: 07/26/02 08:25 AM »

BIGRED_Z-71:
I'm anxiously waiting too......

BIGRED_Z-71:
I'm anxiously waiting too....Three Wink

My 1st: Black 02 Z71, 4.10, born 6/01 .. mine 7/01,STOLEN 2/28/04, Manik SS Nerfs, Billet Fuel Door, Amber wig-wag DRL/NRLs, 3' PA Body Lift, Sail Panel LEDs

My 2nd: Red 02 Z71, mine 3/05, Rancho Lift, 37s, Road Armor Front Bumper w/ Titan Guard, 3" PA Body Lift, Hyundai FTADRLs
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #250 on: 07/26/02 11:45 AM »

update. i made the first prototype windows.

i put them all together... and test fited them... and tested them on at highway speeds of over 75 mph. and well they passed everything... sept... my grandmas ford escort... translation... i sat them down on the drive way to get a phone call... and my grandma drove over 2 of them with her car! they got all scratched up and broke in a few places. now i still have 2... but they are both inside peices.  so y'all are just going to have to wait a few more days for photos. now as for cost... the first pair cost 40 dollars to make... they said the next pair would be cheaper.. like 35 for all... so i'm gunna be looking around the 50dollar range just cause the time, paint, foam, and bolt pricing.  just so you know this window looks just like the snug top one... only difference is that is fills the whole opening! not just the upper half... and it can come in anycolor you want... i think black or tint looks the best.  sorry for the delay i should have 2 more windows done by tomorrow and have photos the following day!

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/15/03 05:21 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

Chasman
Charter Member

Grand Canyon 2006

Awards
« Reply #251 on: 07/26/02 12:19 PM »

Are you able to bring a sample to Wild West for us to take a look at them, Big?  

2008 1500 LS Blue Granite
2005 1500 Z71 Silver Birch Metallic
2002 1500 Z71 Onyx Black
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #252 on: 07/26/02 12:34 PM »

yeah i should... thats about a month away, so i'm hoping i'll have a nice final pair done. the ones i did today are just prototypes. to get angles and hole locations done. and mainly to get some photos of how they look. (tinted windows are a big help.. maybe i should get mine done?)

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/15/03 05:22 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

vf454

WWW Awards
« Reply #253 on: 07/26/02 12:47 PM »

I think the one siliconed to the inside of the sail looks better than the two sided one that comes with the snugtop. I have some plastic already cut so i will try the silicone.

SOM,Amber Reverse Lights,Red Light Hitch Cover,Red Puddle lights, vent shades, full time drls on a switch, 5.6 inch lcd , Playstation II, Amber strobes in the DRL housing, Red strobes in reverse lights, red lic. plate lights,885 fogs,full time drls, leaky midgate,  
got_change
« Reply #254 on: 07/26/02 03:34 PM »

i posted a picture today of the plexi panels i siliconed in 10,000miles ago  I started out on the modification page My mod your mod" I have templates of the panels ill mail any of you   take the templatee to the sign shop  spend about 30 40 bucks ---mine are 1/8 smoked plexi black siliconed in        got change has mentioned these for weeks i just dont know how the connect  thru the av club site to match up all our ideas.   so I guess if you want to see them you have to sort thru got changes posts
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #255 on: 07/28/02 06:02 PM »

update.... after my g-ma running over my pair of windows... i got to work on my 2nd pair... I got them done and took some photos, i'll be posting those soon. good news: they look awesome!!!  Shocked Shocked and they fit perfect, and they seal! bad news: i have to re-design them for two reasons.  dissappointed one, the screws come in at an angle so they don't fit flush with the window.  Cry two i feel they may be a little on the weak side... so i may use a stronger type of plastic on my next pair.  idea i'll post photos very soon guys. just keep hanging on.  wail

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/15/03 05:22 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

Behemoth
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #256 on: 07/29/02 06:57 AM »

I am also interested in these.  I wanted to do something to fill the holes even if it was some sort of nylon flags or something.  If I had the window deals like you're working on, I could put team stickers inside before I seal them up in there.  Would be very cool.  So, be sure and post when you're done.  I'm certainly interested in getting a pair from you.

Behemoth
David Pressick

2002 White North Face, Sunroof, Roof Rack, Assist Steps, Mud Guards, Brush Guard, GM "Avalanche" Air Deflector, Grey Tail-light Trim, Tent, Cargo Cover, Amber DRLs, Flag Bowtie, Line of Fire, 2500 Wheel Well Trim Fore and Aft.
Nople

roads .... where we're going we dont need roads

Awards
« Reply #257 on: 07/29/02 08:10 AM »

i would be most interested in wind noise.  is there any wind noise or baffling when driving with the back window out.  

adventures begin where the pavement ends and never stop exploring

2002 Z71, 1/2 ton, 5.3l, amber drl, drl/park/blink combo, scanner mod, headrest mod, over the bed rack Cheesy
Chasman
Charter Member

Grand Canyon 2006

Awards
« Reply #258 on: 07/31/02 05:06 AM »

If you are able to send pics before Wild West, I may order a set from you to bring along.

I'm now desperate for mods to do before Wild West.  Socalcindy's new audio/video rig has got me major jealous.  I showed it to my business partner and he said I should be ashamed of my modest mods.

2002 1500 Z71 Onyx Black
AxelBraun
« Reply #259 on: 07/31/02 08:43 PM »

I WANT THEM I WANT THEM I WANT THEM I WANT THEM !!!!
Grin
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #260 on: 08/02/02 09:43 AM »

k guys... here are the photos of the first prototype windows! enjoy... Shocked Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Shocked love Shocked Shocked

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/21/03 05:16 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #261 on: 08/02/02 09:45 AM »

another...  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/15/03 05:33 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #262 on: 08/02/02 09:46 AM »

and another...  Roll Eyes  Shocked  Grin  Cheesy

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/15/03 05:33 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #263 on: 08/02/02 09:48 AM »

last one!!  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 08/30/02 06:54 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #264 on: 08/02/02 09:49 AM »

any questions? i'm already starting another pair that are made a little different from these... but have the same look.

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/21/03 05:18 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

johncw

Kewl!!

Awards
« Reply #265 on: 08/02/02 09:50 AM »

They look Sweeeet!  Just what I had in mind.  Sign me up for a pair :-)

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #266 on: 08/02/02 10:41 AM »

Great work there, BRZ! I can't wait to see them at http://WWW. You are going, right? Grin

goo929

Awards
« Reply #267 on: 08/02/02 10:48 AM »

Great work there, BRZ! I can't wait to see them at http://WWW. You are going, right? Grin

Why do you keep saying WWW?

It makes me think about the World Wide Web

You are talking about the Chief's Wild West 2002 party right?   Wink

[/size]
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #268 on: 08/02/02 10:55 AM »

man if goo didn't know what www really ment... i would be in question right now... umm i dunno i'm trying really hard to get another pair done! they take alot of time to do. but i will try.

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/21/03 05:22 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #269 on: 08/02/02 11:00 AM »

Why do you keep saying WWW?

It makes me think about the World Wide Web

You are talking about the Chief's Wild West 2002 party right?   Wink

Why weally, Woo, hawn't wo wever heard of da Wile, Wile West? (Sowwy!)

goo929

Awards
« Reply #270 on: 08/02/02 11:09 AM »

man if goo didn't know what www really ment... i would be in question right now... umm i dunno i'm trying really hard to get another pair done! they take alot of time to do. but i will try.

~BIGRED

I am from Texas ... I know what Wild Wild West is.

I was just picking on Mr. Steel for always calling the Chief's Wild West 2002 meet WWW  Grin

[/size]
Chasman
Charter Member

Grand Canyon 2006

Awards
« Reply #271 on: 08/02/02 11:09 AM »

Wow!  They look great, Bigred.   Can't wait to see them at http://WWW.   Grin

2002 1500 Z71 Onyx Black
Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #272 on: 08/02/02 11:15 AM »

RAOFLMAO!

Fish
Charter Member

Change for a nickel? Anyone?

Awards
« Reply #273 on: 08/02/02 11:21 AM »

Chief's Wild West 2002 party

CWW2K2P?  Roll Eyes

By the way, I'm VERY interested in those plexi covers. Sign me up!
« Last Edit: 08/02/02 11:21 AM by MrFish » Logged

Then:
- 2002 1500 Z-71
- Forest Green on Tan Leather

And then:
- 2003.5 Infiniti G35
- Black on Tan Leather

Now:
2003 Ford Ranger EDGE 4x4 (gulp)
Bright solar yellow babay!
goo929

Awards
« Reply #274 on: 08/02/02 11:40 AM »

I wish I was going to WWWWWWWWWWW so I could see them too  Grin

[/size]
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #275 on: 08/02/02 12:09 PM »

is that the texas... world wide with western wild willy whistle was were we want wild water world website get together?  Lips Sealed

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/17/03 02:23 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #276 on: 08/02/02 12:17 PM »

if your are really serious in buying a pair of these windows... can you send me a e-mail or a message. I need to add up how many people are interested in buying them. thanx alot.

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/17/03 02:23 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

Steelheadchaser
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #277 on: 08/02/02 12:21 PM »

Speaking of the Lone Star State, do any of you Texans out there ever run across Billy Gibbons and the ZZ Top guys cruising around in those fine rides they own?  I believe a couple of their rods are Boyd Coddington creations.

goo929

Awards
« Reply #278 on: 08/02/02 12:34 PM »

Speaking of the Lone Star State, do any of you Texans out there ever run across Billy Gibbons and the ZZ Top guys cruising around in those fine rides they own?

I think Clinton is still using one of them to pickup ... umm ... fast food  Wink

[/size]
Tiregod1
Charter Member

Needs more beer holders

Awards
« Reply #279 on: 08/02/02 12:48 PM »

Smiley
Steel,  I went to highschool here in Houston and  worked at a Randalls grocery store in Missouri City.
There were many nights that we would see Frank Beard come in around midnight to load up on munchies. He was always very generous with tips when we carried out 8-10 bags of junk food to his Suburban or Jag.
                     chevy                         chevy

2002 1500 Av Summitt White 2wd Born 11/01  Amber DRLs, 50watt Fogs,Sylvainia Silverstars, Ventshades,Headrest Mod,Full time DRLs,Painted letters,Painted Bowtie,Hotchkis Sway Bars, Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust, 20X10 MBMotoring Smooth, 305/50R20 Goodyear GT II, 3 child seats.
Bigdaddy_D

Awards
« Reply #280 on: 08/02/02 01:43 PM »

if your are really serious in buying a pair of these windows... can you send me a e-mail or a message. I need to add up how many people are interested in buying them.

Just wondering, what would the cost of the sail panels be? I might be interested myself.

Bad Blue BowTie
02 Indigo Blue 1500 Z71
#1 Modification--DIRT!
WVBubba

WV Cruise Coordinator

WWW Awards
« Reply #281 on: 08/02/02 06:25 PM »

BigRed I too would be interested in a pair of thes for my Big Red...ps the wife loved them too

West Virginia Chapter Site

CLICK ON SIG FOR MOD'S
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #282 on: 08/03/02 12:30 PM »

I think it's going to be around a week to find out some pricing.. soo just hang on.  Grin

~BIGRED
« Last Edit: 06/17/03 02:24 PM by BIGRED_Z-71 » Logged

aking
« Reply #283 on: 08/03/02 01:01 PM »

Big Red: Shouldn't it be "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."
goo929

Awards
« Reply #284 on: 08/03/02 01:06 PM »

Big Red: Shouldn't it be "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

You are right ... maybe he is trying to be funny about it?

[/size]
BIGRED_Z-71

-=BIG-RED=-

Awards
« Reply #285 on: 08/03/02 01:36 PM »

well.... no.... i mean.... i dunno... i just though i came up with something... i guess there is already a saying like mine? oh well.... then.. hey what are you talking about it does too say... not living on the edge...  Grin

~BIGRED

sparky
CAFCNA 2005 Supporting Member

Put on your seatbelt, I'm gonna try sumthin'

Awards
« Reply #286 on: 08/03/02 01:45 PM »

Billy Gibbons is now an ordained minister, not kidding. As of a couple of weeks ago. Has done a couple of marriages. I would love to see him pulling up to the church Grin

Now, the pope was not looking all that well when he was here last week. Maybe BG has bigger plans. Billy Gibbons for Pope.  Cool Works for me

02 blk Z71 Born 06/01 K&N Gen2, HF flow exh., drop kit, cladding paint, Cargopro, TOGs, Whipple S/C, Whip tuner, ramair hood, Stripeman Z71, 20" Epic Blitz, 22" Players, Stull grl, custom BT, JVC 12 disc cd, spoiler, sunvsr, sail window, SLP Rockers, much more..