• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Snugtop Canopy QA pics etc Bed Topper

SteveTimm

Charter Member
SM 2003
I really hate the way that the Snugtop canopy covers up the Avalanche's storage boxes. Stupid design and a loss of great storage space.

It would be a simple matter to remove the storage box tops and have them as inside access storage pockets. When the storage box tops are removed it exposes a step in the upper fender that would be a perfectly logical support area for a canopy support surface.

Also, it seems to me that a canopy for the Av should have a see-thru hatch (the larger the better) that replaces the tailgate. This would vastly increase rear vision and make loading stuff in the bed easier.

GM-sponsored or not, it looks to me like the folks at Snugtop didn't think this one through.

Anyway, I'm looking for a well-designed alternative. Any ideas?

The snugtop canopy was first - that's their claim to fame - and from a marketing point of view, an important one.

Just give the competition time - you'll probably get what you want and more!

Interesting enough the snugtop and American Racing wheels were displayed in the Av accessory book I picked up yesterday.....no prices on any unfortunately..

NJAV - I saw the same Avalanche brochure. That's what fave me the idea that it would be nice to have a high covered area (canopy) for part of the year.

My local Chevy dealership quoted me "about $1,200" for a Snugtop canopy.

Golly, maybe for $1,400 somebody will make a canopy that doesn't screw up your storage area. You think?

Given time, I'll bet a really great one will show up. :D

Does anyone know if they'd sell just the tinted glass for the sails? I think it would finish the look of my existing front/back tint look.

I'm getting tired of a leaking midgate and have decided that the best option (for me) is to cover the bed with a canopy. I need the extra room, anyway.

I live in Portland, OR and you would think it would be a simple matter to find a jazzy looking canopy. Not so.

About the only option is the Snugtop canopy that is featured in the GM Accessory Brochure.

Have any members seen the Snugtop? Any idea how it looks and fits? Price? Availability?

Thanks, Steve

I have not seen one yet other than pictures but the only downside to this would be you would lose access to those top storage bins with the install of the canopy device....more of a personal preference.. :cool:

One of the problems even with the snug top is that the seem between the Av's cab roof and the reenforced A frame molding is not water proof. :(

Hey what does everyonr think about the Cap you can get from GM to pu on your avalanche? Can you stand in it? I wonder what it would look like with the mid gate down. I bet the amount of room you would have would be sick!!!

Have not priced one lately, but back in December, my dealer quoted me a list price of over 2 THOUSAND dollars :eek: :eek: :eek: for the Snugtop for my Av. Can anyone confirm this??

RPH

RP

I just got off the phone with my dealer's parts department manager. The Snugtop is $1950 plus installation.

The Snugtop comes in all Avalanche factory colors (mine is Victory Red), is wired for a stoplight and comes with a carpet (presumably for the floor, over the rubber mat).

Apparently, they JUST became available because my parts guy had just received a computer heads-up on the product.

He is ordering one in Victory Red. If I like it, I'll buy it. If I don't, they'll mount it on an Av that they have in stock.

Gem Top and Leer are made here in Portland, OR and they told me that they are not interested in entering the Avalanche market. Probably not enough volume to make it interesting.

The GemTop and Leer guys said, however, that the Snugtop is a truly top-of-the-line canopy.

Steve

checked with my dealor for $, 1,950.00 for snug top + 300.00 for shipping to dealer +installation approx 200.00 tto much$ at this time, maybe prices will drop if or when someone else makes one, the tent is looking good at this time!

I got a call from the Customer Relations Manager of my local GM dealership yesterday. ?Apparently, the Snugtop canopies are ready to ship from Detroit.

There is a large Snugtop dealership closeby, so the GM dealer cut a deal with the Snugtop folks to fit the canopies to the Avalanche. ?i feel comfortable about this because the Snugtop guys really know what they are doing. ?

I'm tired of my AVs leakage problems and want the room that a canopy would give us. ?With the canopy fitted, our rig will be just like an extra-large Suburban with a truck bed in back. ?For us, it will be the best of both worlds.

I ordered one in Victory Red and the estimated delivery time is two weeks.

SteveTimm said:
I got a call from the Customer Relations Manager of my local GM dealership yesterday. ?Apparently, the Snugtop canopies are ready to ship from Detroit.

There is a large Snugtop dealership closeby, so the GM dealer cut a deal with the Snugtop folks to fit the canopies to the Avalanche. ?i feel comfortable about this because the Snugtop guys really know what they are doing. ?

I'm tired of my AVs leakage problems and want the room that a canopy would give us. ?With the canopy fitted, our rig will be just like an extra-large Suburban with a truck bed in back. ?For us, it will be the best of both worlds.

I ordered one in Victory Red and the estimated delivery time is two weeks.

Hi, Steve! I'm kind of on the fence, but basically due to the lack of pictures (or sightings in person) that I have seen. Could you post some pictures after it is installed? Personally, I like the SUV look, as I *sometimes* find the AV to look too much like a truck.

Thanks!
Justyn

Justyn: When I get it, I'll try to post some pictures. We have the digital camera and if somebody on the website can talk me through posting, I'll get it done.

We went from a 1998 Suburban to the 2002 Av. I write for hunting magazines and it always worried me when I hauled dead critters in the back of the Suburban (blood on carpeted wheelwells and such).

With the AV, we have all of the Suburban that we need (front two rows of seating) and we have a truck bed for messy things. It's the best of both.

With the canopy, we will actually have more back headroom than we had in the Suburban. Also, in hauling critters, the bed will be cold when have the cab heated (deer hunting at -20? in Montana comes to mind).

I'm seriously thinking of adding the bedslide too. Man, what a total rig the Red Warrior would be.

I think we are going to love the Snugtop canopy. Will keep you posted. Steve

Thank you, Steve! I look forward to seeing that "huge" AV after you have completed the install. Are you having the dealership do it, or are you performing it on your own?

Thanks again,
J~

Justyn: There is a large Snugtop distributor/dealer in Portland, OR (about 7 miles from our house). My GM dealership cut a deal with them for the install.

Here's how it works: The Snugtop is delivered to my dealer. They call the Snugtop dealer and they pick it up and take it to the shop on a flatbed that is made to haul canopies. At the same time they call me and I ferry my AV to the Snugtop dealership.

I can either wait for the install (1-3 hours) or they will drive me home and pick me up when it is done. I perfer to watch anything like this, so I'll wait.

The Customer Relations Manager of my GM dealership spent the better part of yesterday at the Snugtop dealership. They are anxious to make the relationship happen - not only can they install AV canopies, but they will supply Snugtop canopies for trucks (1500 and 2500) on their lot.

I'm delighted with the arrangement. The GM dealership has a fabulous service department, but that doesn't mean their guys know how to install canopies. Even if they were, I wouldn't want to be their first install.

The Customer Relations Manager told me that the Snugtop guys must test every install with fifty gallons of water. They install the canopy and then squirt the crap out of it with a high pressure hose until there is no hint, repeat no hint, of a leak anywhere. She was impressed all to Hell and came back knowing the Snugtop shop was the way to go.

Cost? I paid MSRP on the Snugtop of $1950. Snugtop installation is $60.00.

I have heard of some GM dealerships charging MSRP, plus $300 for shipping and $200 for the install.

At a total of $2010, I think it is a fair value.

Oh, one more thing, I think I'll have them take the bulb out of my "wings" stoplight, so I don't light up the interior of the canopy when braking at night. The Snugtop has the third stoplight, so the then inside one would be useless and bothersome.

Will send pics when the job is done. If I can't figure out how to get it on the websight, I'll ask you for your e-mail and I'll send it personally.

Steve

If you are talking about the GM/Snugtop canopy, I have one on order. Basically, it turns the rig into something that has more room than a Suburban and much more useable space than any pickup.

Open it up or close it up - depending on what you want. As far as I am concerned it wull be the ultimate rig.

A bit spendy at 1950, but what the hell?

I also have a Bedslider coming for my Av.

Gonna be nice.

Steve ;D

Hey guys,

I was at my dealer today going over club stuff and they had an Av on the lot with one on. Man talk about the room in there, It looks wierd at first but would grow on you. The nice part is that it has the luggage bars on on top so you can add a space case or whatever.

It matches to the paint real well, and looks like the seam is water tight.

Enjoys yours, lets us know first hand.

dvc

Could you stand inside of it? From the looks it seems like there is a lot of room. In another post we discussed how nice a Faring would look on top of the Avy. You know that black piece of plastic that attaches to the ski rack. It is angled as to cut wind resistance. Anyway this Faring would also look nice if it were attached to the top of the Snug Top. Just a thought

Try this one
xuv_web.jpg

Back