• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New steering shaft repair bulletin. No more lube kits or shafts.

Toddrolet

:laugh:

Document ID# 1874365
2002 Chevrolet Chevy K Silverado - 4WD     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Exercise/Stroke Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003L - (11/29/2006)

Models: 2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Classic)

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2007 GMC Sierra Models (Classic)

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Attention:  This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to change the service procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003K (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Diagnostic Tips
Use the information below to help diagnose the source of the noise.

?  Frame Snap and/or Popping Type Noise -- A frame snap or popping type noise can be duplicated on rough or smooth road surfaces with steering wheel input to the left or the right. This type of noise can be HEARD and is typically louder with the windows rolled down. For additional information, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-61-002F or newer -- Snap/Popping Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle (Remove Front Crossmember, Change Fastener Orientation) 

?  Intermediate Shaft Clunk -- Intermediate shaft clunk is heard and FELT in the steering wheel and/or steering column area, typically while driving on rough road surfaces with steering wheel input. 

Correction
DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS

Fully Exercise/Stroke I-Shaft 5-6 times
DO NOT REPLACE the following intermediate shaft P/N's:

P/N 88965505

P/N 89060582

P/N 19149105

DO NOT LUBRICATE the Intermediate Shaft (P/N 26098419)

Engineering has determined that fully exercising/stroking the I-Shaft will provide similar results as lubricating.

Disconnect the I-Shaft underhood.
Fully exercise/stroke the I-shaft a minimum of 5-6 times.
Reconnect the I-shaft.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E9446
I-Shaft Exercise/Stroke
0.2 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer".  They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle.  Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely.  If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition.  See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
  WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

? Copyright General Motors Corporation.  All Rights Reserved.

Wow, GM sure is "stroking" our shafts with that bulletin.

I feel my shaft has been stroked numerous times. FOUR to be exact in 2006 only. As they say, it's only $100 since you have the $100 deductible extended warranty! No wonder why I'm thinking of getting rid of it. I've had about 4K in work done this year alone.

I had the Service 4wd a few weeks ago and they said the 88" wiring harness needed to be replaced. Makes you wonder about Chevys altogether!

Merry x-mas!

So, you only need to unhook it under the hood? I might have to stroke my own shaft after all.... :cool:

Butch

Why would the stealership wanna use lube when they "shaft" you? Don't replace, don't lube...just basically jerk the thing off? LOL...The General and his minions slay me.

Shayne

I was hoping someone has stroked their shaft and would want to talk about it by now........

Is that bulletin saying that you can unhook the intermittent steering shaft under the hood and leave it attached under the dash, doing all of said stroking under the hood?? Has anyone tried that yet? Results of the stroking exercise?

Back