Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lets see your Bull Bars  (Read 51430 times)

ChevyNick

• I want a diesel.
Re: Lets see your Bull Bars
« Reply #100 on: 11/27/11 08:09 AM »

I've been asking a couple people I know about Bull Bars, they say that bull bars rust very easily? Is there any truth to this? 
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 Victory Red. Dual Flowmaster 40 series, K&N Cold Air Intake, Leveling Kit, BFG's, Throttle Body Spacer, Cab Lights, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA 525s, Blackbear Tune.

Vaeagleav

• CAFCNA 2018 Premium Member
  • The Avalanche just keeps getting better!
« Reply #101 on: 11/27/11 02:39 PM »

I had a  Westin bull bar on my 2004 for 4 years with NO rust. I also have one on my 2008 for the last 3 years and NO rust on that one either. Both were stainless steel. Not sure how the painted or powdercoating will hold up but you could cover with Line-X spray and prevent rust around the welds on the black versions.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 
2004 Z71 Silver Birch before that.

ChevyNick

• I want a diesel.
« Reply #102 on: 11/28/11 04:43 AM »

Ok so line x is a coating of some sort?  I wash and wax rather frequently so i bet that would lower my chances of rust anyway. Also, if I went with the black one, my thinking is that it would begin to look beat up after a couple years of long highway drives up north in both the winter and summer.  Maybe the stainless one would look better and hide rock blast?
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71 Victory Red. Dual Flowmaster 40 series, K&N Cold Air Intake, Leveling Kit, BFG's, Throttle Body Spacer, Cab Lights, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA 525s, Blackbear Tune.

Vaeagleav

« Reply #103 on: 11/28/11 02:03 PM »

Line-X is a spray on bed liner that can be applied in various thickness levels. I had it sprayed on side tube bars and steps of a Suburban I had and it showed no sign of wear after 9 years of use. Even on the step pads that we used to get in and out of the Suburban. It does have a rough cladding look to it.
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 

Randy Joy

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
  • 2011 Z71
Lets see your Bull Bars
« Reply #104 on: 11/28/11 02:45 PM »

Here is a slightly different angle of my 2008 and if you look close you can see the black mount and the stainless bar near the tow hook opening.
Thanks Vaeagleav, for the pic showing the mounting for your bull bar. It looks like some bull bars are lower than others?. I like the lower ones, like yours, and you have it on a Z71. I'll call Westin to see if they have one for my 2011 Z71. Thanks again for the pic............RANDY
« Last Edit: 11/28/11 03:01 PM by Randy Joy »

Whitey McMudflaps

« Reply #105 on: 12/01/11 02:13 AM »

Another Hunter installed...

Now I need some lights.  :rich:

mnpewter04

« Reply #106 on: 12/02/11 11:38 PM »

where did you buy the Hunter from? Hows the quality of it?  I found Truck Gear Direct that has them very cheap but concearned because they are so cheap
04 Silver Birch Metalic
MSD wires, Spectre CAI, Gibson Dual Cat Back kit, Predator Tuner
DooTalk.com

Randy Joy

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
  • 2011 Z71
« Reply #107 on: 12/03/11 12:10 AM »

Yes tell us more about your Hunter bullbar. It looks good, it doesn't have that stupid piece of sheet metal in the center where the manufacturer puts their name, that does nothing but block air from getting to the engine. I have read some bad reviews about Hunter, poor quality and how hard it is to get them to fit. In the photo it looks like you had it installed. Please tell us more, all the details.................RANDY
« Last Edit: 12/03/11 04:52 PM by Randy Joy »

ChevyNick

• I want a diesel.
« Reply #108 on: 12/04/11 10:03 AM »

What are the differences between the Westin Ultimate Bull Bar and the Westin E-Series...?   Could I mount lights on either one?  Which light seems to be the popular choice... PIAA 520 Series? Ahhh  :E:

Any experts want to PM back and forth with me a time or two regarding all these questions??

Whitey McMudflaps

« Reply #109 on: 12/06/11 04:20 AM »

where did you buy the Hunter from? Hows the quality of it?  I found Truck Gear Direct that has them very cheap but concearned because they are so cheap

Yes... Bought from Truck Gear Direct for $135 shipped!  I figured I couldn't go wrong for that price...  The quality is "okay".  It's not a Westin, but then again I didn't pay $300+ for it.  The mounts are heavy duty enough.  The piping may be a little thin BUT I'm not gonna be pushing locomotives down the tracks with it either.  I'm right at 200lbs and I can stand on this bull bar just fine with no fear of it bending or moving.  Wouldn't even scare me to jump up and down on it.  My plan for my truck is to give it a OffRoad StormTrooper'ed look anyways... So I didn't want a "dressy" bull bar, I wanted one that looked a bit rugged.  Gonna rip the chrome GM nerfs off some day and replace with some black N-Fab nerfs and I figured the pre-runner look of this bull bar would better match the N-Fab nerfs.  Heck, I may pull the bull bar back off some day and "beef" it up a bit... I have access to plenty of tools and people that can weld.

Yes tell us more about your Hunter bullbar. It looks good, it doesn't have that stupid piece of sheet metal in the center where the manufacturer puts their name, that does nothing but block air from getting to the engine. I have read some bad reviews about Hunter, poor quality and how hard it is to get them to fit. In the photo it looks like you had it installed. Please tell us more, all the details.................RANDY

Buddies shopÖ Installed it myself.  Install was easy using the lift.  Hunterís instructions arenít the greatest, but I figured it out on my own.  Who needs instructions anyways?!?!?  Fit was just fine.  Once it was on, I did very little to the adjustments.  Again, no itís not $300 worth of Westin quality, but thatís not what I wanted anyways.  I donít think I would buy the stainless steel bull bar from Hunter though because of the quality.  But if this one starts to show some rust or imperfections Iíll just pull it off, beef it up and then go get it powdercoated or Line-Xíed.

mnpewter04

« Reply #110 on: 02/01/12 09:55 AM »

Yes... Bought from Truck Gear Direct for $135 shipped!  I figured I couldn't go wrong for that price...  The quality is "okay".  It's not a Westin, but then again I didn't pay $300+ for it.  The mounts are heavy duty enough.  The piping may be a little thin BUT I'm not gonna be pushing locomotives down the tracks with it either.  I'm right at 200lbs and I can stand on this bull bar just fine with no fear of it bending or moving.  Wouldn't even scare me to jump up and down on it.  My plan for my truck is to give it a OffRoad StormTrooper'ed look anyways... So I didn't want a "dressy" bull bar, I wanted one that looked a bit rugged.  Gonna rip the chrome GM nerfs off some day and replace with some black N-Fab nerfs and I figured the pre-runner look of this bull bar would better match the N-Fab nerfs.  Heck, I may pull the bull bar back off some day and "beef" it up a bit... I have access to plenty of tools and people that can weld.

Buddies shopÖ Installed it myself.  Install was easy using the lift.  Hunterís instructions arenít the greatest, but I figured it out on my own.  Who needs instructions anyways?!?!?  Fit was just fine.  Once it was on, I did very little to the adjustments.  Again, no itís not $300 worth of Westin quality, but thatís not what I wanted anyways.  I donít think I would buy the stainless steel bull bar from Hunter though because of the quality.  But if this one starts to show some rust or imperfections Iíll just pull it off, beef it up and then go get it powdercoated or Line-Xíed.

Any updates on how its holding up?
04 Silver Birch Metalic
DooTalk.com

ChevyNick

• I want a diesel.
« Reply #111 on: 02/01/12 04:19 PM »

I had a  Westin bull bar on my 2004 for 4 years with NO rust. I also have one on my 2008 for the last 3 years and NO rust on that one either. Both were stainless steel. Not sure how the painted or powdercoating will hold up but you could cover with Line-X spray and prevent rust around the welds on the black versions.

So I bought a stainless steel one, bought it in late December 2011 and installed it then as well.  Well, it is rusting around ALL of the welds right now.  I polished it with Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish and it removed the rust.  I also put a coat of Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax on it.  I am pretty disappointed it rusted out THAT quick.  The only time it saw salt was a trip we took up north and back.  I didn't get a chance to wash the truck until 3-4 days after the trip (too busy with school & work).  Now, I am a nut as far as detailing and cleanliness goes.  This kinda upsets me that it is rusting.  I don't feel that it is my fault because I left "road salt mist" so to speak, on the bar for a couple days.  I'm not saying I never expected it to rust, but come on... in just a couple days?? I emailed Westin a few days ago... still awaiting for a response.  Other then the rust issue, I absolutely love the bull bar.  I just want to know why mine is rusting so quickly.

Also, heres some pictures for everyone to see (The first two are BEFORE i put the insert in.)

« Last Edit: 02/01/12 06:13 PM by ChevyNick »

Whitey McMudflaps

« Reply #112 on: 02/01/12 05:43 PM »

Any updates on how its holding up?

Holding up just fine.  No rusting or fading and the truck sits outside pretty much 24-7.

Of course it's only been on the truck for about 2 months now.  AND we are having one of the mildest, driest winters known to mankind.

mnpewter04

« Reply #113 on: 04/09/13 06:28 AM »

Holding up just fine.  No rusting or fading and the truck sits outside pretty much 24-7.

Of course it's only been on the truck for about 2 months now.  AND we are having one of the mildest, driest winters known to mankind.
Any updates now that winter is mostly over with?
04 Silver Birch Metalic
DooTalk.com

Saoirse_Trodai

• CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member
« Reply #114 on: 04/28/13 12:35 PM »

GoRhino 3152B

Broke my driving lights during the install. Guess its time to upgrade to those KCs I was looking at  :thumbsup:

2006 Dark Blue Metallic Chevrolet Avalanche LT - 4x2 - Modded Out
- Traded -
2009 White Volkswagen GTI - 4 Door - APR Stage 2

tritonboulder47

« Reply #115 on: 06/27/13 03:44 AM »

Here's mine... 

Sadly I had to take my Westin Bull Bar off my Av...  It was rusting out BAD...  Maybe I'll tinker with it and see if I can clean it up and re coat it (probably with bed liner or something) but it doesn't look good... 

Maybe I'll get something different...  Any Suggestions...?  lol
Rollin' in my 2 Z's
2003 LPM Cladded Av Z71 5.3L 4X4 - 1985 Camaro Z28 Tuned Port 5.0L

911 Calltaker / Dispatcher, Volunteer Fire Fighter & Fire Policeman, Volunteer Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Guru

Vaeagleav

« Reply #116 on: 06/27/13 05:31 AM »

tritonboulder47,
I don't know how your private vehicle for emergency use is handled budget wise but if the city or county will pitch in for your equipment I would look at a full steel front bumper with winch that would be a great feature for an emergency service vehicle. If not maybe you could deduct cost as a business related expense on your taxes?

If above doesn't fit your budget then I would sand the bull bar and Line-X (bed liner) the whole bar and reinstall.

Just my .02 though.....
2008 Z71 Silver Birch 

ARMYtango

• Drink water and Drive on!
« Reply #117 on: 06/27/13 05:43 AM »

... then I would sand the bull bar and Line-X (bed liner) the whole bar and reinstall.

Just my .02 though.....

I agree with sanding it first if you decide to bed line it....

I have a bull bar that I bought from a member that he had coated with bed liner.
I decided I wanted to see if the bed liner would come off and see how it would look without it.
The bed liner came off fairly easy as it was just sprayed over the smooth surface of the bar.
I think that if he had sanded it, it would have been more difficult.

No complaints here, though, as I like how it looks without it! lol  :thumbsup:
'04 Z66 WBH, AVS bug shield, AVS rain guards, BOSE sound system w/6-disk CD changer, 6 On-high, Sequential Bully fire strip, Amber DRL's, tinted SONAR Euro tails, Flowmaster 40 Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, dual pillar gauge w/ GlowShift 7-color Trans Temp Gauge, low beam 6k HIDs, blue interior LEDs, LED plate lights, LED puddle lights, Halo/Projector headlights, Sail Panel LEDs, rear airbags, Aries bull bar

tritonboulder47

« Reply #118 on: 06/28/13 03:37 AM »

It's my personal vehicle and I'm a volunteer, so there is no county/city/local pitch in for replacement/repair...  Plus it was a Female Dog to get off because 2 of the bolts that hold the skid plate on are rusted and just spin free, so I have to devise how to get them apart before I try and re-coat it...  I'd like to get one of those Hunter Bull Bars, but I can't find a website for them (other than ebay) 
Rollin' in my 2 Z's

911 Calltaker / Dispatcher, Volunteer Fire Fighter & Fire Policeman, Volunteer Ambulance Driver, Rescue Tech, Emergency Lighting Guru

ARMYtango

« Reply #119 on: 06/28/13 04:21 AM »

I'd like to get one of those Hunter Bull Bars, but I can't find a website for them (other than ebay) 

http://www.truckgeardirect.com/bullbars/

This is where you can get the Hunter Bull Bars....and a pretty good price too!  :thumbsup:
'04 Z66 WBH, AVS bug shield, AVS rain guards, BOSE sound system w/6-disk CD changer, 6 On-high, Sequential Bully fire strip, Amber DRL's, tinted SONAR Euro tails, Flowmaster 40 Dual Exhaust, K&N CAI, dual pillar gauge w/ GlowShift 7-color Trans Temp Gauge, low beam 6k HIDs, blue interior LEDs, LED plate lights, LED puddle lights, Halo/Projector headlights, Sail Panel LEDs, rear airbags, Aries bull bar

tritonboulder47

« Reply #120 on: 06/28/13 08:54 AM »

http://www.truckgeardirect.com/bullbars/

This is where you can get the Hunter Bull Bars....and a pretty good price too!  :thumbsup:

Thanks!!!  That is a great price too... 
Rollin' in my 2 Z's

avalanchedriver

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #121 on: 06/28/13 10:46 AM »

Man that is a good price! My Hunter has been on for a few years now. No issues, no rust (stainless not black). My only complaints are: 1) it was a PITA to install it. It did not want to fit to the insides of the mounting brackets and wasn't wide enough for the outside and 2) it vibrates. Not to the point where you hear it or see it  but the off road lights, when on, tell the story. (Maybe all bull bars do it, I've only had this one. When I had my dodge it had a WAAG full grille/brush guard and that thing was solid.)
06 Cladded Silver Birch Metallic Z71. Lifted and modded.

ARMYtango

« Reply #122 on: 06/28/13 10:50 AM »

My understanding of why they are much cheaper is because they are made of a thinner tubing, and that they aren't a "perfect" fit.

maverick1974

• CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member
    • Keystone Avalanche Club
« Reply #123 on: 06/28/13 09:13 PM »

Mine looked like triton's about a year and a half ago, now everything flaked and rusted.  I have a replacement, just have not taken the effort to swap it out.
2005 - 2500 Avalanche
2014 "Arrival Blue" JKU

hotwings

« Reply #124 on: 03/10/16 03:24 PM »

I did NOT have to cut anything to mount on my 2004 or my 2008. The only tight spots are at the openings where the mounts come out to meet the bar. (I guess if alignment isn't good you may have to trim plastic near the mount?) I know the fog lights are different on the LTZ and the Z71 but don't know if the tow hook openings are different.
Here is a slightly different angle of my 2008 and if you look close you can see the black mount and the stainless bar near the tow hook opening.

Hey guys i am new here. I am looking for an identical solution to Vaeagleav here and want to know if i can find a chrome westin that will fit my 2012 LTZ without any trimming. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks.

Here is my front end: (BTW first mod today was Amber DRLs :) Not shown here... Ill wait till i clean her up and post whole thing.)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 24 queries.