• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Anyone Else Regret Getting Rid Of Their Avalanche?

jmbfin

Is there anyone else who regrets getting rid of their Avalanche? I bought an '02 Z-71 in November 2001. Then I traded it in on an '03 Z-71 in June 2003. Now after trading-in my '03 in June 2006 on an '06 Duramax CC 4 x 4 SLT, I find myself really missing the versatility, smooth ride, and manuverability of the Avalanche.

Yes, the 360hp Duramax and 6-speed Allison drivetrain are impressive. Yes, I have no difficulty towing 15,000lbs. However, I really miss the AV. Looking back I think I should have kept it and purchased an older 2500HD for the big towing jobs.

Perhaps in a couple of years I will be in a position to get another AV. Hopefully by then it will have the 6-speed automatic and at least the 6.0 available with the Z-71 package. I really would prefer cladding also.

Anyway, things change in our lives that sometimes influence the vehicle we drive. Reflecting on the vehicles in my life, I miss the Av more than any other vehicle I have owned including a 93 Cadillac Eldorado ETC and 98 Seville STS.

I would love having a 2500HD D'max! But not at the expense of my Av.

I want to get some heavy equipment someday in the near future and would need a heavy hauler.

I lost my 2002 to a wreck that totaled it.  I replaced it with an 06.  Even though I like my 06, my 02 was much better built.  And yes I regret losing it.  I can't see changing to anything but an AV in the 10 years or so. 

the only thing i miss about my 02 is the 3:75 rear. my 05 has the 3:42 . 02 tows better and off road alot better. my 02 went through sugar sand no problem with have to put it in 4x4 , now my 05 spun the tires on 57 stone and had to put it in 4x4 so thats one of the up coming mods for it.

The time to replace my Avalanche is approaching...and it is something I already dread. I tow a large travel trailer and need a 2500 with a big block or diesel.  My Av has been the perfect truck for us, I have kept it longer than anything else I have ever owned.  I already miss it...and I still have it. Nothing out there has a 12,000 lb. tow rating and rides/handles this good.

AVid

sure, i traded mine in for a f150 supercrew 4X4 and every once in a while i miss some of the features such as the bed covers (best on the market, imo except for fading issues of some), the removable rear window, and the ride

what i don't miss is the 5.3L vortec and the 3.42 gears (the main reason for the trade)  i didn't test drive it hard enough to notice the effect of the tall gearing matched to an engine making the bulk of it's torque and power at high rpms

my fault for not being more aware, but i really didn't expect such a mismatch (imo) from gm engineers--i think the 4.10s are the way to go with the 5.3 for how i drive, which is seldom revving the engine up high

Huevos poquito ! said:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This Space Reserved for JoeyNYM<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
crazy.gif

hopefully I wont regret it, but to be honest with you, I wanted to be driving a nice vehicle everyday, i was driving the 97 sentra every day for the past year & got bored of it (Avy only on weeekends), driving the Avalanche every day would have killed me @ the pump & would have put a lot of wear & tear on the truck. I needed a car that would get me average gas mileage & dont need any mods, or limited modding.

So i went & got a 07 Maxima Se fully loaded. only mods will be Tints & hids in the fogs.

joeynym said:
hopefully I wont regret it, but to be honest with you, I wanted to be driving a nice vehicle everyday, i was driving the 97 sentra every day for the past year & got bored of it (Avy only on weeekends), driving the Avalanche every day would have killed me @ the pump & would have put a lot of wear & tear on the truck. I needed a car that would get me average gas mileage & dont need any mods, or limited modding.

So i went & got a 07 Maxima Se fully loaded. only mods will be Tints & hids in the fogs.
my brother has the same car, only black. Nice motor in that thing, he doesn't have the factory Nav, he installed the Pioneer AVIC. The only issue is 91 octane only. He uses my Av for hauling and whenever he needs a truck since he sold his. Congrats on the new ride.... you'll be back  :cool:

Huevos poquito ! said:
my brother has the same car, only black. Nice motor in that thing, he doesn't have the factory Nav, he installed the Pioneer AVIC. The only issue is 91 octane only. He uses my Av for hauling and whenever he needs a truck since he sold his. Congrats on the new ride.... you'll be back  :cool:

does he have 07?

Thanks.

We moved to a new house 12/7/06.  My wife has an 04 extended Envoy 4WD that just fit lengthwise in our 2.5 car garage.  I got the spot in front of the furnace/water heater.  Not enough room lengthwise for the AV to fit the garage.  Driveway apron not wide enough to give me any comfort that my wife would not one-day, side-swipe my AV.  Only other alternative was to park in on the street about a block away.  Traded my 02 Z71 on an '07 Altima 3.5 SL with 270 hp & SVT.  Missed the AV until I mashed the Altima gas pedal for the first time.  Way more fun to drive, 10+ mpg better than the AV and it fits nicely in the garage.  Envoy does a great job towing and handling the big stuff so it's not like I had to go cold turkey! 

I had an '03 AV - traded it on a '06 impala fully loaded.  Reason - gas mileage.  I lasted 7 months.  Saw a Bermuda Blue '07 at Thanksgiving and had  to have one.  Bought one the next day and felt I had come home.  I love the ride, sitting up higher, and the truck feel with all the room.    I don't need it to tow anything as we have a 2500 Suburban for that.  So, I just have my AV to tool around in

I just traded for my 03 AV Z66. I traded a 1999 Lexus GS400 for it. Big difference going from a V8 powerhouse of a car (0-60 in roughly 5.7 sec.) to an AV, but I am thrilled with the truck. The only thing I would be willing to trade it for is an 07, but I like owning a debt free vehicle. :B:

I have not gotten rid of my AV and don't see doing so anytime soon.  I have had 40 cars since I was 16 (turning 40 in 30 days).  At some points over the past 20+ years I have had 3-4 cars at a time.  I have restored some hot rods and eventually got rid of all of them.  Sometimes I scare myself thinking of what life would be like without my AV.  I love this thing and really don't see a time without it.  I have gotten rid of some great rides in the past and know all too well what it feels like.  Definately don't want to wish I had never got rid of the AV.  Cars are a sickness for me, so much that my wifes pet name for me is "Motors".......  The AV is the one and only vehicle for me... even if it does cost $75 bucks to fill the tank.
So if you are on the fence and haven't traded/sold yet.... DON'T DO IT.

I regret my latest vehicle purchase twice as much as most.  I traded in my 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche and 2004 Ford Excursion for a 2005 Hummer H2.  I love the H2 and love wheeling, but there are many times that I miss the flexibility of the Avalanche and the size of the Excursion.  (Not to mention the 6.0L Powerstroke diesel and Allison transmission in the Excursion.)  I invested a lot of money into both vehicles in the form of modifications and upgrades and while I managed to pull most of them and have them in my closet, most won't fit or are not compatible with the H2.  My current "dream" is to sell the H2 for a fair value and purchase a 1992 Hummer H1 and a yellow 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche.  While I am dreaming, I would like to consolidate my current debt into the purchase of those vehicles and have just one monthly payment.  I can dream, can't I?

I'm not trying to burn on anyone for trading in their Av for a ricer that gets better mileage but, think about this first. The Av gets 15 miles per gallon. A ricer gets 30, BUT, are you willing to spend 15 to 30k just to double your gas mileage ? think about it :p

I am one of those people that has owned 56 different vehicles. my wife has actually told me to quit looking at other cars.

I have regrets for cars and trucks I have got rid of. I will not make the mistake on my Av. I plan on keeping her for a very? very very very very very long time.

One car I miss greatly is my 89 GTA Trans Am and my Katana. They were both very beautiful and fast toys.

I own a 93 Civic for the gas mileage. My wife is tired of driving such a small car. She is looking into a Colorado Z71. She wants a bigger truck with good interior room. She does not care much about the bed because we have the Av for that. I have been pricing the Colorado and think i can get a used Av for less, so that will probably be the way we will go. If you bought an Av and worry about gas mileage then you need to rethink your priorities. IMO

Shane

Attachments

• 89GTA& 93 Katana750.jpg
    89GTA& 93 Katana750.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 735
Shanes 02 Avalanche said:
One car I miss greatly is my 89 GTA Trans Am. She was a fast beautiful car.

Shane
There are two cars I wish I still had.  1. 66 Chevy Impala - 4dr no post  2. 71 Boat Tail Riviera.  Still have my 66 Chevy P/U Long bed.... in for mild restoration now.  Gonna try to do better at hanging on to the good ones.  Tired of the people at the DMV getting to know me.

If you still own your AV, then you can't make mpg an issue. I drive my AV an average of 600 to 800 miles per week. My average mpg according to the computer in the truck is 16 to 17. However, even with those figures, I wouldn't trade for anything else. You can't find another vehicle on the market at this time that has as much versitility as the AV. God has been good to GM, and AVers are reaping the rewards! For those who have traded or sold their AVs remember, you can always get another one (Avalanche). :love:

For those moments when time is of the essence we keep this little zipster sipper handy. It may be faster but nothing compares to the total comfort and over all Safety of the AV.

Attachments

• dec06pics 005 (2).jpg
    dec06pics 005 (2).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 739
  • dec06pics 004 (2) (2) (2).jpg
    dec06pics 004 (2) (2) (2).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 733
I just got rid of mine about 10 hours ago - and I regretted it before I even did it.? But it simply came down to no choice.  (Think my "BD AV2D" plates will work on the new car?)

Huevos poquito ! said:
I'm not trying to burn on anyone for trading in their Av for a ricer that gets better mileage but, think about this first. The Av gets 15 miles per gallon. A ricer gets 30, BUT, are you willing to spend 15 to 30k just to double your gas mileage ? think about it :p

Think about it?? Read My Post Here ? Unfortunately, my AV got 12 mpg (the 2500), costing me $1000/month ($500 payment + $500 in gas) - the new car gets 33.  The simple fact is, IF I kept the AV, it would have cost me another $30K over the next 3 years - $12K to pay off and $500/month in gas.  Then I would have a car with over 130K miles while still commuting 30K a year that's worth about $10K.?

This car over the same time period will cost me less than $24K out of pocket ($660/month which includes gas) and will leave me with at 100K car with about $5K in equity.  My plan is to trade in this car in 3 years anyways (and maybe get another AV!).

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE THE AV.  And over the last 3-1/2years, it did everything I needed - and more.  I was PROUD to drive the AV.  I've put 42K miles on over that 3-1/2 yrs (6K of that in the last 2 months) - now I'm doing 30K a year.  Stuff Changes.

Back