• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Horse Power???

fbuhler

SM 2003
horse power? that is the big question. how to get the most horse power for the money.

first off i'm running a 6" lift with 33" in tires. my gears are 3.73.

I'm looking for more take off power. what do i need to do?

ok i've got the k&n filter for the first mod

then new mufflers, i have dual 3'' glasspacks with ss tips
it sounds ok but i would like it to be louder should i
switch to a flomaster 50 series?

hppIII tuned good. shift point & rev.limiter working great

now I have ben looking for headers and a supercharger.
I'v read about the tog headers but still not sure what is the best? long, short, ceramic coated, please help.

now the super charger. i belive i want an intercoolered one but not sure where to find it. help and advice would be great,

thanks,
faver buhler

I'd put the Flowmaster 30 or 40 series on. Not sure that that would help horse power that much but my 40 series sounds awesome coming off the stock exhaust. Im interested in the same performance mods you are. Can't wait to hear what others have to say.

dday

Put a pair of headers on, they will impress you! ;D You will want to do a header swap prior to a supercharger, so it would be a good stepping stone. I went with JBA shorties, stainless steel, easy bolt on, the most HP out of any of my mods, can really feel a ton of torque when you get on it. The JBA's have a unique collector pipe config. and give you the juice long pipes do except without the hassle of welding.

thanks for the input keep it coming!!!

so it looks so far like headers to start then gears to 4.56

then the super charger.

is that right?

which headers? pt# and price would be a great help

thanks,
faver

what about an engine swap? that HO 502 sounds sweet!!! will it fit?

my tire shop would love me burnning off tires!!$$ >:D

Besides the gears....
Borla cat-back exhast system (#140003). It lists for $1000. You shoould be able to find it online for much less.
P.S. Don't forget to correct your speedo

You want more ponies? Buy a Supercharger: Whipple, Magnacharger and Kenne Bell are the 3 that come to my mind, in no particular order
There are a few members here who run them?;D

Do gears first thing....., I installed 4.11s in mine, and an Eaton Heavy Duty Posi.., if your off roading I would get rid of the stock G80 govloc posi its not very strong..., and it wont cost much more to replace it if your doing gears anyway... Remember you have to do the front diff to, which is a bear on these trucks..., it has to be removed to do it, cant be done in the truck... You'll want to put in good quality gears to, and set them up right if you dont want them to wine.. Also if you have the 5.3 with the new style 10 bolt rear..., dont go to 4.56 gears as the small pinion gear severely weakens this rear end.... If your going to be keeping the engine pretty much stock.., you could get away with it.., but if you plan on upping the horse power with a Supercharger the rear wont live with those gears in it.........

Butch.

well i just ordered th JBA titaniom ceramic coated short headers. I will let ya know when i get them instaled.

Do the gears first. I've been there. It makes no sense to dump thousands into all those other improvements when your gearing is too high to begin with. Don't pay more than $1,500 out the door. Unless you will get bigger tires, I'd strongly advise against 4.56's if yours is a daily driver--that's pretty low-geared for 33's. 33's aren't that much bigger than stock, and there's a BIG difference between 3.73's and 4.56's. I got 4.56s for my 01' Silverado's 12" lift and 37" Super Swamper tires and it would spin them in reverse on dry concrete--and the 5.3 was bone stock. Go 4.10s, especially if you're considering all those other performance upgrades...

how much engine noise does any hp increase make? i like the quiet ride and don't want to compromise it that much.

JUST ORDERED 305 CLAWS ON 16x10 RIMS FOR MUD BOGGIN. SO NOW MY POWER WILL SEAM MORE SLUGISH, BUT I'M GETTING CLOSER ON THAT SUPERCHARGER....

I would agree with getting rid of the 3.73's. I had a '02 with the 5.3 and didn't like the performance.
I am planning on lifting my '03 so I got the 8100 with 4.10's. You can never have enough power >:D

sparky said:
OK, here is a stupid question. I did not pay any attention at the time (don't ask) but how can I tell what gears are in my unit at this point?

Look at the list of RPO codes on the specs decal. If you see "GT4", you have 3.73's. If you find "GT5", you have 4.10's.

Yakmar said:
Hmmm I just order my K&N FiPK Gen II.... will get that installed THEN gonna get me some SuperCharged airflow!!! *grin* ?Lookin' like a Vortec though since I pay in Canadian funds and it is the cheapest (and almost only) model I can find in Canada!!

Hi, There is a whipple rep here in Calgary. But being from the East Coast I know that is a hell of a long way from you. He also carries tog headers

There is a decal on the inside of the glove box door. It lists all of the option codes (RPO's) that are on the vehicle.

OK, OK, OK...
After one year (just assuming I had the 3.73's on my 1500) I finanlly checked today while updating my registration paper (over $400.00 ?:7: )
I checked on the sticker with all the 3 digit codes and the fifth column over goes like this

AU0
C68
GT5

From what I'm reading this looks like I have the 4.10's on my truck but I want to double check before I get too excited. ?Can someone please verify this for me?

Thanks,
Joe

AUO--Keyless entry
C68--HVAC automatic, electronic
GT5--4:10 rear axle ratio

Hope I've helped. ?:)

Sure did! Thanks!

I've been going back and forth between the 20" chromes and a lift. Now that I just found out I got the 4.10's looks like the lift and bigger tires is the way to go!

I actually stumbled on this truck, someone else ordered it and then didn't want it so it looks like they did me up right! (y)

Installed the JBA headers. a little more power.
now i getting ready for a mud bogg compitition, June 28th 2003. I thought about cutting out cat. but most of people thought that was not a good idea, so I left the cats. and cut off my glass packs. Man headers to strait pipes sound sweet ;D feels a lot more responsive. sounds big and bad!

Is this ok? How about back presure, do you need some back presure?

thanks

Back