• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

07 Av Need Some Tuning Advice

SiriusBlack

Hello All,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? I am faily new to this forum although, in the past few vehicles I have had I have been into messing with them and I would say I have a fair amount of knowledge with automobiles. With that said. When i got my 07 avalanche I am very dissappointed with the dam computer controlling my engine. I cant even power brake it at a dead stop unless its wet out and When my truck shifts its like a 3 sec delay. I want to be able to get a few more ponies and be able to get better shift points and less restrictive off a computer on my tires so i can spin.

I am considering Superchips because I have seen on the forums that people are having good results with shifts points and pick up but I am not sure if the superchip can disable the TorqueManagement.

I am Considering going with HPTuners although I am not sure how I will be able to get any HP out of it with out spending considerable time with trial and error.

Is there a programmer that turns off TQMANAGEMENT OUT THERE?

get a jesse bubb PCM tune great stuff, i got it and its perfect, id say like 100 people on the forum have it, u can find out more at wait4meperformance.com  its like 158$ for the PCM and the tune. Great deal, and great gains, shifts deadly quick

I have the Superchips in my 07, so far I very happy.  Shifts very quick and smooth.  I run diff gear ratio and tire size which I was able to correct.  Also alows me to download any new tunes from the site.  Not sure about the T/M, and if you can disable.

SiriusBlack said:
Hello All,
? ? ? ? ? ? ? I am faily new to this forum although, in the past few vehicles I have had I have been into messing with them and I would say I have a fair amount of knowledge with automobiles. With that said. When i got my 07 avalanche I am very dissappointed with the dam computer controlling my engine. I cant even power brake it at a dead stop unless its wet out and When my truck shifts its like a 3 sec delay. I want to be able to get a few more ponies and be able to get better shift points and less restrictive off a computer on my tires so i can spin.

I am considering Superchips because I have seen on the forums that people are having good results with shifts points and pick up but I am not sure if the superchip can disable the TorqueManagement.

I am Considering going with HPTuners although I am not sure how I will be able to get any HP out of it with out spending considerable time with trial and error.

First, welcome to the club.... :welcome:

Second, do yourself a favor and forgoe the handhelds..... you are correct, they are extremely limited for tuning. Get HP Tuners.... there are plenty of guys here, and on the HP Tuner forums who can get you tight in a nano second.... You will never ever, ever meet an issue you cannot tune, and you will never be dis-satisfied with HP Tuners or EFI Live....

FlaBouy said:
First, welcome to the club.... :welcome:

Second, do yourself a favor and forgoe the handhelds..... you are correct, they are extremely limited for tuning. Get HP Tuners.... there are plenty of guys here, and on the HP Tuner forums who can get you tight in a nano second.... You will never ever, ever meet an issue you cannot tune, and you will never be dis-satisfied with HP Tuners or EFI Live....

Which one should I buy? I do not think I need the professional edition. Also, If I need to go to the dealership for warranty issues I can always reflash the ecu to stock mode and the dealer cannot tell what soever correct?

SiriusBlack said:
Which one should I buy? I do not think I need the professional edition. Also, If I need to go to the dealership for warranty issues I can always reflash the ecu to stock mode and the dealer cannot tell what soever correct?

Either package will give you good results.... the HP Tuner users are a little more vocal here, but either package will be fine..... get the standard interface to start with... it will be sufficient until you have the need to bring a wideband online or have a need to control an external device.... then you can upgrade....

Yes you can revert to a stock tune prior to going back to the stealer, provided you have not added enough power adders at that point that the truck will not run on a stock tune..... :D

FlaBouy said:
Either package will give you good results.... the HP Tuner users are a little more vocal here, but either package will be fine..... get the standard interface to start with... it will be sufficient until you have the need to bring a wideband online or have a need to control an external device.... then you can upgrade....

Yes you can revert to a stock tune prior to going back to the stealer, provided you have not added enough power adders at that point that the truck will not run on a stock tune..... :D

Is it fairly easy to fool with shift points as well as torquemanagement?

Is it possible to get a few more ponies with the standard version without using a wideband or dyno?

SiriusBlack said:
Is it fairly easy to fool with shift points as well as torquemanagement?

Is it possible to get a few more ponies with the standard version without using a wideband or dyno?

Shift points are easy... torque mis-management be gone tool works great, and yes, 20-25 rwhp and 3-4 mpg is pretty easy to obtain with the basic package and the right set of parameters.....

SiriusBlack said:
So Your saying with the basic parameter for gain horsepower i can do that without using a wideband or dyno just by imitating what other AV Tuners have used?

matt

No we don't imitate here...that is the point.... only handheld users imitate..... what we do with HP Tuners is log the truck and tune each truck based on what each individual truck needs.... you will never find two trucks tuned exactly alike..... and no, you don't need a wideband or dyno to take advantage of those gains.... both are just tools to help dial end a tune..... both are extremely useful in a blown application....

FlaBouy said:
Shift points are easy... torque mis-management be gone tool works great, and yes, 20-25 rwhp and 3-4 mpg is pretty easy to obtain with the basic package and the right set of parameters.....

How hard would it be for a tuning novice to purchase HPT and start tuning?  I like the idea of being able to reinstall the factory tune in a matter of minutes, but jumping into tuning my very expensive truck with no prior knowledge really intimidates me.

SiriusBlack, How did your tuning experience go? Which package did you decide on? I have the exact same problem with my new '07 Avalanche.

SiriusBlack said:
Hello All,
              I am faily new to this forum although, in the past few vehicles I have had I have been into messing with them and I would say I have a fair amount of knowledge with automobiles. With that said. When i got my 07 avalanche I am very dissappointed with the dam computer controlling my engine. I cant even power brake it at a dead stop unless its wet out and When my truck shifts its like a 3 sec delay. I want to be able to get a few more ponies and be able to get better shift points and less restrictive off a computer on my tires so i can spin.

ljerni said:
SiriusBlack, How did your tuning experience go? Which package did you decide on? I have the exact same problem with my new '07 Avalanche.
My tuning experience is non-existant lol WORK SUX. I did puchase HP TUNERS STD. I fooled around with it took off TQ MNGMENT and tried to make it a little quicker. You can definetly tell the difference although I havent had any time to get together with someone who knows about tuning these suckers!!!

SiriusBlack said:
My tuning experience is non-existant lol WORK SUX. I did puchase HP TUNERS STD. I fooled around with it took off TQ MNGMENT and tried to make it a little quicker. You can definetly tell the difference although I havent had any time to get together with someone who knows about tuning these suckers!!!
Thanks for the reply. And yes it does! But gotta have money for my toys....
I just ordered HP Tuners myself based on your reply and recommendations on the forum. Was TQ Management pretty easy to turn off? And did it totally get rid of that stupid throttle delay?

Back