• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Initial Performance Choices - Please Help

p-ten

I recently purchased an Z-71 '03 Av. I am interested in adding some performance mods right away.

It sounds like the three top mods and intake, exhaust, and computer.

I have a couple questions...

Is their any particular intake system that is better then the others? I really don't care about looks, just performance for the $. I was leaning toward the Volant because it has an enclosed element and looks like it truly draws cold air. It also retains the resonator box. It seems some others noticed a small deline in initial throttle response with other intakes without the resonator. Is it true that the resonator lets the engine draw air easier off initial throttle tip in? It seems it may cause the air to flow, well, less straight. Then if these feature don't make a difference it looks like I can buy an AEM for almost $100 less.

Are any people experiencing any true HP gains from cat back exhaust systems? Or is the gain all in the muffler? I would like the truck to sound a little meaner but not too loud. I have need noticing that the stock exhaust systems have been improving substantially and it sounds lke the stock av is not that bad. I say that because I have a C5 vette. There have been numerous people putting on +$1000 cat back systems for 2HP. There is really no need for a bigger system until you heavily mod the engine (heads, forced induction) to utilize the incresed flow.

Finally, in regards to the programmers. Again I reprogrammed my AT vette's computer. What a difference. It was absolutely ridiculous what a difference it made. When it was stock and the trans shifted from 1-2, I would get a small chirp if I was lucky. With the new program I get the car sideways on the 1-2 at will, enough that the traction control has to reel it in. Can I expect a similar performance increase from the HPP. I know I won't be chipping tires but wanted to know if the performance increase was that dramatic.

Thanks.

p-ten said:
Any help?

Boy, I can't beleive that this has been out here for 5 days without any response. ?What is CAFCNA coming to? ?;) ?

Sorry, I can't personally help you as I am running stock but I know that the people who have reprogrammed their computer have made noise that they love it but I don't really think it is a radical difference over stock.

I want to upgrade to a magnaflow but again purely for sound. ?As for air intake, I plan to use the drop in K& N on my first filter change.

There are plenty of discussion on these subjects, just check out the threads listed in the first thread of the performance forum.

b

I did the K&N, Flowmaster, and Hypertech all at one time. Wow! What a difference it made. It seems as though most of the difference came from the Hypertech as it shifted tighter and generally seemed so much faster. As far as brands, I just went with professionally recommended brands. All three mods collectively ran about 1K. You may pay a little more for the name, but it never hurts to confide in a trusted name.

Max

I found one club member's opinion about how he believes it to be of questionable value to attempt to improve upon the stock intake assembly to be extremely interesting reading. Shouldn't be hard too find, check it out. (hint: the author is a moderator of this performance forum ;))

The Programmer would be the best bang for the buck p-10..., the Intake and Exhaust will help.., but not as much as the Programmer.. If you have the extra money a good set of Headers with the Exhaust will give you a good boost., and if you go with Headers put on a good set of aftermarket plug wire's such as Magnacore, MSD, or Taylor.., they will take the heat from the Headers better than the stock wire's.., and give a slightly better spark.... All these mods will net you a noticeable gain.....

Butch.

Back