Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/20/14 11:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Spare Tire Lock  (Read 4123 times)
Trekerjohn

What the world needs now is love, sweet love.

Awards
« on: 02/03/07 12:25 PM »

Can anyone tell me how to remove the spare tire lock on my 04 cladded Av without destroying part of the rear bumper plastic and/or the retaining ring/clip that holds it on to the bumper ??  thanks. 

Z71 Avalanche - the ultimate BOV.  Prepare, practice, be ready, explore the roads less traveled.
cadboy1
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #1 on: 02/03/07 12:34 PM »

I have done it twice and never have been able to not destroy the retaining clip. Good luck Cheesy

04 AV 2500
01 Olds Aurora 4.0
07 Trailblazer SS AWD
ygmn
Administrator

Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 02/03/07 12:50 PM »

Why do you need to remove?

Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
txyank1
CAFCNA 2007 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 02/03/07 01:29 PM »

I was told by the body shop that swapped my back bumper that they weren't designed to be R/R and I'd need to buy a new one. However, there wasn't one available so they did manage to remove and transfer it. Unfortunately I wasn't watching them. Sad

'03 LPM WBH Base model W/Buckets&Bose 2/13/03-1/16/06.
'05 BBM WBH Base model W/Sun&Sound 1/16/06-6/3/06
'06 SBM WBH Z66 W/Sun&Sound 6/3/06-- : Pro Cold CAI W/Airaid tube; VentVisors; Lloyd Mats; MagLite Mod; Painted: BT, grille mesh, engine cover, hitch cover; Tahoe Z71 rear bumper; Gatorbacked on 3/4/09;
Trekerjohn

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 02/03/07 01:59 PM »

I need to remove because I tore my rear bumper plastic out at Prairie City yesterday and wanted to fix it.  So, I got the plastic almost all off, but the spare tire lock would not let it go.  So, I disfigured both of them and got the plastic off.  But now I have a loose & floppy spare tire lock tube/housing.  The bumper plastic fix came out fine, even for a good size tear.  I also bent up my trailer hitch plug bracket, but got that straightened out also.  That's why I needed to get it off.  I'm ready to put the plastic back on, but I'm thinking that maybe I should leave it off until the tire lock housing gets sorted out.  Thanks.

Z71 Avalanche - the ultimate BOV.  Prepare, practice, be ready, explore the roads less traveled.
ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 02/03/07 02:02 PM »

As for trailer wiring tingy... remove it from hitch and put it up above near license plate..

check towing section for thread on the how to.... I did it and well.. no more damage to it..

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
Trekerjohn

Awards
« Reply #6 on: 02/03/07 02:06 PM »

Great idea.  I read a few posts on that issue earlier.  Did you do it yourself ?  If so, how did you get the right size hole plus the tab openings around the hole ?

ygmn
Administrator

Awards
« Reply #7 on: 02/03/07 02:10 PM »

Great idea. I read a few posts on that issue earlier. Did you do it yourself ? If so, how did you get the right size hole plus the tab openings around the hole ?
I forget...

The thread in towing has step by step...

basically a hole saw cuts hole through plastic into steel behind..

then trace pattern from below onto paper... and draw on plastic above..

then cut with knive... the notch in plastic is enough to hold it if memory is still working...

Easy mod... and a great one too!

CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!
WILDFIRE

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 02/03/07 02:27 PM »

check here John...

how to relocate trailer plug

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
Trekerjohn

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 02/03/07 09:06 PM »

Thanks for all the information.  I've been reading everything for a couple of hours now and will tackle the tire lock and move the trailer plug also.  the plastic bumper repair came out fine for free.  But I don't have much faith that it can take any more abuse, however slight.  All the mods start to get me dizzy.  So many mods; so little ______________.  Thanks again.  I am enjoying reading your stories and advice and seeing the photos of your sweethearts.  J

WILDFIRE

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 02/03/07 09:14 PM »

cool pic Trekerjohn  Cool!

sittin by the phone, waitin for the lord to send my calling
Question~ What are you doing in my house? Answer~ Bleeding out
ddr2467
CAFCNA 2010 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #11 on: 11/17/10 11:16 AM »

just found this thread as i was trying to figure out how to remove the square plastic piece of "moulding" that is visible from the back of the vehicle with the plastic bumper guard still in place... i thought i would find something out after i popped off the square cover flap for the spare tire lock but there was no extra help for me under there... as it turns out the square piece of moulding is part of a longer "tube" type piece of plastic that protrudes into the plastic bumper and through the backside of the metal bumper... the only way this can be removed is by pulling it out of both the metal bumper and the plastic bumper guard from the BACK of the vehicle, not from underneath where everything i just mentioned is visible...

this brings me to the problem mentioned earlier in this thread, the metal retaining ring(s) that hold this piece of plastic in place... there is 3/8" wide piece of thin metal that is the first ring you will notice, after i gently pried this off i realized that maybe it didnt have to remove it at all in the first place but thats besides the point... i was able to salvage the "toothed" retaining ring that is actually reponsible for holding the plastic moulding in place by taking a this slotted screwdriver and carefully bending back about 10 - 12 of the teeth... it loosened the ring up enough tat i could pry it from underneath and remove it from it "locked" position... after that was removed the plastic moulding in question was able to be slid out from the back of the bumpers... hope this saves some of you from needing to make a trip to the chevy dealer and ordering a new retaining ring...

BTW - i am new to this site and felt compelled to write this response because i have learned so much from all of YOU during the few short days i have owned my first avalanche... a 2004 Z71...   

2004 Z71 - cladded dark blue metallic, ADRLs, ALLonHIGH, f@rd keys, KYB monomaxx ext length shocks, 285/65-18 silentarmor on machined/blk xd addicts, n-fab side steps, injen CAI, kenwood head unit, boston acoustics pro 60se all around, aftermarket sirius (hardwired), valentine V1 (hardwired), billet front bowtie, interior lighting=all LEDs, LED puddles, 1 pt of refinish restorer (so far)
MS03 2500
CAFCNA 2014 Supporting Member

We shall never forget.

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 11/17/10 11:53 AM »

Thanks for the tip and Welcome! to the club ddr2467

2003 2500
MooseAlanche
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

The Moose Is On The Loose

Awards
« Reply #13 on: 11/17/10 04:23 PM »

:welcome:to CAFCNA ddr2467  Wave

Pete
05 Black Avalanche 5.3L, Z71, Cladded, Chrome Brush Bar, Speed Grille, SS Nerf Bars, Fire & Ice Tailgate LED, Lund Bug Shield, Putco Tailgate Handle Cover, K&N #77 Cold Air Intake, PowerAid TBS, MagnaFlow SS CatBack. Since Joining CAFC: Amber FTDRL, LED Sail Panel Lights, Amber LED Grille Lights, Door Pocket LED's, Mag Lite, 3rd Brake & Tailgate Decals, Cargo Light, Billet Gas Door, Tailgate Cup Holders, Backup Cam, I Pod2car, WoLo Horn, PlasmaGlow Xeon Bulbs, Window Tint, Tailgate E-Z Up, HyperTech
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: