• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Calling The Big Block Boyz For ??

Gene,

There is a lot of mixed response when it comes to puting an air intake system like those on the new Chevy big blocks. Most of the favorable response seems to be verbiage repeated by members that has filtered down from the manufacturers to the distributors and so on.

If you search through the post in here you will probably get the impression that the people who have done their homework feel that Chevy has pretty much done everything they can for the air intake on their engines.

At this time I have no opinion to share with you but next Wednesday I will be visiting a shop to discuss this issue with an expert. I am trying to negotiate a deal where we will dyno my Av (8.1L) and then install the K&N FIPK and dyno again for comparison. My hope is to reach a reasonable number with this shop that we must see for HP gains.

If we see the gains, I will gladly pay for the kit. If not, the option will be laid on the table for the shop to return my vehicle to original or leave the FIPK in for free (or maybe at their true parts cost if I feel nice). This will give the shop the real world experience on this engine to be able to speak intelligently about the FIPK and they will likely get backing from K&N for this endeavor.

I will let you know if I strike the deal with them. I hope it happens.

cutthroat

Folks, just the addition of a FIPK isn't going to gain you that much. Performance improvements have to take in the entire equation of air/fuel/translation of power equation. Opening one up and leaving other restrictions in place is not very efficient - you out of the factory truck is tuned to max mileage and minimize emissions while providing a smooth comfortable ride - no one thing is going to make it a barn burner.

Just my $.02

cutthroat, thanks for your input, let us know how it turns out.

? do you have headers, exhuast work done...,? as gandolphxx stated, you need to work with a total system not just one thing.

with the exception of a match, it will take down the barn mightly quick >:D >:D >:D.

I will have the TOG header and exhaust system in place when I change to a intake system.

G.

Gene / Gandolph,

The shop I am dealing with will be upgrading my exhaust next week prior to looking at the FPIK deal.

I do realize that no one item will improve my performance greatly but the K&N FIPK makes quite lofty claims and both of us (the shop an myself) can benefit from doing this testing.

We are looking at the differences between stock exhaust and aftermarket, stock air intake and FIPK, as well as throttle body spacers etc..

I'm not even that concerned with increasing my performance for the track or any other reason than education and information. I have a few bucks to spend on my new beast and it is interesting to try things and be able to actually know what the effects are on the vehicle rather than guessing based on the sound and "seat of the pants" dyno.

cutthroat

cutthroat, The first thing I changed on my 5.3 with the intake system. I went with the FPIK, and you did notice a dif.
Then the TOG header and big dif
The the exhaust system and again big dif.
The Preditor was then added and as Emiler would say "BANG"

I'm just trying to get a handle on the 8.1

G.

cutthroat said:
Gene / Gandolph,

The shop I am dealing with will be upgrading my exhaust next week prior to looking at the FPIK deal.

I do realize that no one item will improve my performance greatly but the K&N FIPK makes quite lofty claims and both of us (the shop an myself) can benefit from doing this testing.

We are looking at the differences between stock exhaust and aftermarket, stock air intake and FIPK, as well as throttle body spacers etc..

I'm not even that concerned with increasing my performance for the track or any other reason than education and information. I have a few bucks to spend on my new beast and it is interesting to try things and be able to actually know what the effects are on the vehicle rather than guessing based on the sound and "seat of the pants" dyno.

cutthroat

I couldn't agree more, but find that it is impractical to get reproducibility enough on the dyno [let alone the cost] to justify that approach - I have founf that the track and my boost gauge are giving me better indicators of mods that I try.

Maybe it is just me. ;D

I host dyno wars and events within the Wash. DC area for BMW and Porsche enthusiast. I just hosted one in Sterling, VA for $50 for 3 pulls on a Mustang dyno.
At this event, May 17th, we dyno'ed a stock 5.3L Sierra. It put down 200hp even at the wheels.
5.3truck.jpg

Another 5.3L truck Sierra put down 235hp, bone stock, that same day. That is a large difference imo. I'm not so sure what happened there.

I will host another dyno event towards the middle-end of June in Fairfax, VA at AutoThority. I will bring my 8.1L AV to this and my other car for the dyno war. The owner of AutoThortiy has a Cadillac EXT maybe I can get him to dyno that thing. This will be on a SuperFlow dyno, $175K dyno machine vs the others.

I'll do a stock airbox run vs. a modified cold air intake or whatever we call them to measure power gains. I'll do this on different dyno's to see what % variances are produced. I'd like to purchase each air intake available for teh 8.1L to do this test and then return them. Doubt they will accept a return but I'll try.

I'll do the same when I get any "performance" mods done to my AV for the hell of it. I do this with all my other cars, so why not with the AV.

In my experience, the airbox design from different car manufacturers are either extremely well designed for flow or a bottle cork. In the BMW world (V8's and Inline 6) my experience has seen gains from 7-10hp @ the wheels from a well designed cold air intake. This is on a stock engine and no other performance mods.

I never claim any power gains until I see it on the dyno and measure power for myself. I look forward to participating with my local DC metro AV chapter.

John

Back