• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Installing Aftermarket Gauges. Help.

BIGRED_Z-71

SM 2003
Hey I got two, auto meter 2 1/16th" gauges that I need help installing. I got a oil temp and tranny temp and I don't have any clue where to start. Anybody installed these before? Some photos would be nice. They came with a sender each... but I don't know where to put them. Any help at all,Thanks

~BIGRED

BIGRED:
I'm trying to find time to deal with this issue myself.

The sending units typically go in one of two spots:

1. Remove the oil (or tranny) pan, drill a hole and weld on a nut to screw the sending unit into.

2. Cut the hose from the pan/pump to the cooler (of course NOT from the cooler to the pan!) put on compression type hose ends, and screw the hose ends into a t-block type manifold that also has a threaded hole for the sending unit to mount in.

Autometer has a kit with the hose ends and manifold block for hoses with a 3/8" O.D. ($36).

Dakota Digital has a kit for 3/8" I.D. #SEN-04-11 ($36) and one for 5/16" I.D. #SEN-04-10 ($36)

Now for the rub, the information that I have from a Senior Tech at DeLillo Chevrolet (you've no doubt seen their banner ad on this website) is that the oil cooler line is 1/2" I.D. and the tranny is 10MM I.D.

I haven't crawled under to verify, and I posted here about a week ago asking if anybody could verify or deny the hose sizes but had no replys.

Worse comes to worst, I plan to order hose ends; and a friend has already volunteered to make the t-blocks for me (he's a die maker/machinist who makes similar t-blocks frequently).

If you can verify the hose sizes, www.hose-man.com is a good source for the ends, and we can machine two sets of blocks almost as easy as one set if it'll help you out. I know you're a very accomplished fabricator and probably don't need help, but let me know.

BTW, really like much of the stuff I've read about your truck's mods.

/Gary

There is a trans temp connection in the stock instrument panel. Even though the Av doesn't come with a trans temp gauge the wiring is already there. I'll try to find the wire code.

kw

BigRed-
Where'd you get your gauges? Where'd you get your pillar pods? I'm looking into doing exactly what you're doing... Not because of the "looks" (that's just a bonus), but because it could be a lot cheaper than upgrading the cluster (depending on the guages used).

Both Autometer & Dakota Digital have pillar pods (and gauges) that fit.

I have the Dakota Digital FP3-00C-PU 3-gauge full pillar pod which appears to be a perfect fit, though the tweeter will be a challenge.

I have an Autometer 2-gauge pod (not full pillar) that may work for you, depending on where the tweeter is. I'll have to post the item number on this later.

Just a few more questions...

What "model" did you get from autometer? The Silverado model? the Suburban model?
I have an '03 with a Bose system and there is a tweeter mounted in the A-Pillar on both sides. Will this interfere with the mounting of guage pods?

Autometer #15104, 2 gauge pod (not full pillar) for Chevy/GM full size, fits the driver side pillar on the 2002 Avalanche.

autometer also makes a 3 pod which is what i have as well as they make one that fits the steering column as well i got the pod that fits the silverado but i also have an 2002 av. L8tr

Al'right getting frustrated :E:

Your part number with AUTOMETER Dual #15104 $31.45 via Amazon says will not fit 02 Av, ???

==>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062ZWTQ?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

the GLOWSHIFT Triple GS-366 $36.99 says will fit, but could blow your head off if air bag explodes.  ???

==>http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/00-06-chevy-suburban-triple-pillar-pod.aspx

What a trade off! :help:

Gotta hurry up and checkout out my carts full, and I have some crazy woman with kids screaming and kicking my cart! :laugh:

Back