• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Which Programer To Choose?

Ross_G

which programer to choose? I have read up on several different programers (predator, super chips,& hypertec) but I want some opinions Who has used what and how well does it work. Where am I going to get the most bang for the buck? Any help on this would be great. ;D

I had the Superchips for my 5.3. Killed the PCM the first time :8: Shifting sucked. Sent it back for reprogram. Sucked even more. Returned it for refund.

Bought the Predator. Didn't like the shifting. New files were emailed to me. Programmed the Predator on my computer ;D

Predator has built in Tech2 for reading and deleting trouble codes. It also has real time monitoring to see what every aspect of the engine is doing. The Predator also has mucho programming options so you can change this or change that for both Tow Haul Mode on and Tow Haul Mode off (normal driving)

For specifics on each programmer, just run a search for "Predator" or "Superchips" or "Hypertech" and you will learn everything you need to know to to answer your questions...

I've had HPP3 and Predator ... I came back to the HPP3 ... Hehe ... The Predator marries itself to the first truck it sees and can never ever be used on another truck ... It's with that truck for life... The HPP3 can be re-sold after a 3 minute "back to stock" session ... The Diablo also has some tranny shifting issues as XRover said that are supposed to be fixed in V1.04 ... The Pred also requires 93 octane... Hypertech allows 3 tuning modes ... Stock, 87, and 93 ... Plus the HPP3 is almost $100 cheaper ... Like X said, do a search there's good info everywhere on here ...

11H

I have the predator and I like it. I was able to run 87, 89, 93, and 94 octane gas by adjusting some of the settings. But to use the 87 and 89 octane gas, I had to accept i'm not getting ALL the extra power the programmer provides.

The down fall, you can't resell a Predator. So, I'd suggest getting ahold of your local AV club and see what those members have and ask if you can see how their's works.

All these people complaining about having to run 93 octane... I for one don't care. Gas over here is cheap. (Just check the post by Skidd near the bottom of this page.)

Growing up in Australia (where V8's were no where near as common due to the fuel costs), I remember seeing a bumper sticker that summed it all up for me: "F**k pertrol costs, I've got V8 power!". >:D

Hey, you gotta pay to play...

I have the superchip and have been throurouly pleased with it. What I like best is how it makes it shift. Yep 93 octane. But if we wanted gas milage we would have got a rice burner.

However, I think the overall concensus id the hypertech. If I had to do it over again I'd probably get on because it's a little more versatill than the superchip. The predator is too versatile...I'd be pushing things too far and likely hurt performance. That's just me and each personis different.

Lex Luthor
(one of very few satisfied superchip customers)

Very happy with HyperTech. No problemos. Still think I can push the settings a little more but for now great improvements.

I've read many posts on the pros and cons of the various reprogrammers. So far the HyperTech seems to be the one for me, but I'd like to ask a question about it and/or the others. I know with the HyperTech you can adjust the WOT shift points. Does this also change top speed at which you can downshift to first and second gear? I don't know exactly what those speeds are on my Z66, but I hate it when I hit the thottle at 40-some mph and I get second gear at about 3000 RPM instead of first gear at 5500 RPM. Same for at about 70 mph, getting third gear at too-few RPMs instead of second gear near peak-hp producing RPMs.

Back