• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

odyssey vs. optima ?

jimbo53188

Your Question: Why is the Odyssey better than Optima and is it worth the cost difference?

When comparing Optima to an Odyssey, you are comparing a 10 year old technology to a brand new one. To be more specific, the parent company (Enersys) invented and has owned both products. They owned the Optima technology and plant and finally sold off Optima over ten years ago to move on to creating Odyssey. The older spiral product and technology was abandoned because of the new technology which is now Hawker, trolling thunder, and now Odyssey.

Specifics:

Warranty
4 year full replacement vs. 1.5 year prorated

1 to 2 psi vs. 6-8psi bunsen valves
lower psi still vent while charging and this alone can contribute to failure as well as gassing

pure virgin lead vs. recycled lead
pure lead lasts longer

old spiral agm vs. thin plate
spiral equals less usable space, less reserve, less shock and vibration ability

lower resistance
charges faster, puts out higher cranking amps, contributes to longer life

more lead in the same physical size
The last one here is critical for the troll motor application. The amount of lead in a battery is the contributing factor when determining reserve capacity, or the ability to run electronics, pumps, lights, or a troll motor. Look at the physical weight of a battery compared to the same group size of a competing battery. For example.

Optima grp 24 weighs 38 lbs (34M) and an Odyssey grp 24 weighs 55 lbs (1500T).
Optima grp 31 weighs 59lbs D31M and an Odyssey grp 31 weighs 78lbs (2150)

Flooded vs. AGM (a personal choice)

Flooded product is less expensive and lasts a couple of years. The good thing about it is it is cheap. The bad thing is you have to add water, you have to deal with corrosion, and you have to replace every couple of years. There are reasons why they do not last long. By design they calcify faster because they loose charge faster. This is an issue because it leads to internal failure. The more calcification the more resistance, the more resistance the more heat and finally failure. By keeping them on an onboard trickle charger you have serious gassing issues and drying out concerns unless you constantly maintain them. Most manufactures of flooded product use recycled lead with calcium and antimony which contribute to the internal failure of the product. It makes life shorter, but it makes manufacturing cheaper. That is why you can save money and buy a 50 dollar grp 24. I wanted to get away from all of that flooded maintenance. If you do go the flooded route buy the heaviest one you can find in the size you like because weight equals reserve capacity.

AGM is more expensive, it lasts longer, and can be a set it and forget it solution for many years. The bad thing is the initial cost and there are a lot of garbage AGM?s out in the market. Some AGM's dry out in the first couple of years because of poor bunsen valve technology. Some have little lead and are not good for reserve capacity. Some claim to be AGM and are a flooded/AGM product. A Odyssey AGM has a service life of 6 to 10 years. They are maintenance free and can be left on an automatic charger like a ProMariner for the life of the battery. No worries about gassing or drying out. Look at the warranty of the product you are going to buy. Most of the Odyssey batteries have a 4 year full replacement.

I spent some time putting this together and I really enjoy discussing batteries. I tried to just give the facts, but I am an Odyssey fan and have one in everything I own that takes a battery.

( reply from my battery supplier )

If these are related to the Stinger battery i had-they are fantastic. I agree Dry-cell is far superior to a gel or wet cell battery.

sperry will be along shortly to agree on how great Odyssey batteries are.

My pair of Optimas in my AV are over 4 years old and still load test to over 1000 CCA according to my Midtronics tester MCR 400 :love:. I guess just like many people don't see a need for anything other than the cheapest deal regular battery at their local parts store, I don't see a need for anything better than my pair of Optimas :love:

But is is interesting reading about the batteries and the different technologies :D

Even thou I have optima's, I believe the Odyssey batteries are better I just could not find them locally

DaytonaZ71 said:
If these are related to the Stinger battery i had-they are fantastic. I agree Dry-cell is far superior to a gel or wet cell battery.
odyssey does indeed make the stinger car audio batteries, as well as scosche efx car audio batt's

I like my cheapo....

I have only installed yellow tops in my past 3 vehicles.  No problems except for last week in the extreme cold I forgot to plug in the block heater resulted in a sluggish start.

I have used the Odyssey in the past 2 motorcycles (Goldwings), my Deere mower and my backup sump pump system.  I love the ruggedness and felxibility of the battery and also have had no problems.

My .02 is you will be fine in either choice.  All that depends on is what you can get and afford.

when you figure in how close the costs between the "yellow top" at $167.95 and the odyssey at $178.79,less than $11.00 and compare warrantys, one year for the yellow,four years for the odyssey, it's a "no brainer"? ?link for price comparison? ? www.remybattery.com

If one likes to fit round pegs into a square hole... Then the Optima. Regardless, it's bailed many out from the dying Delco's, and they should have.

Then again, think of those CCA's if you have a system that sucks the current when the bass is booming. If you're not into dB drags, and it sounds fine to you - no real biggie - for audio.

Battery performance is as important as the power source wiring resistance. Wouldn't  that matter to you for a performance audio system if you were?

Odyssey's are a true AGM dry-cell. They, (shared with the yellow-top) can be mounted in all angles but the not recommended "upside-down".

The energy density is greater with the Odyssey's, per the footprint & volume. Yup, the PC2150 is certainly heavy - it feels like well more than the 78 pounds, but I'm older & weaker these days. :6:

I own about ten of the batteries - various sizes. My PC1700 is the oldest - bought in 2000 and just as good as new. It rests on it's side behind my front lic plate area. I removed it from my S-10. The PC2150 is the newest. I over-did that one as it runs my house water pump and it can for 10 straight hours! No need to have a generator running for the dishes or a shower. :)
But that's just capacity - any 100AH battery will do that - but how long before they would die of old age?

A PC925 is used to start a fussy Diesel generator. Fussier at 0? yet.

I have four PC680's I purchased back in `02 for an electric scooter project. I abandoned that idea which came from a guy at a scooter meet that used them to power a 7000Watt motor (@48V) The deaf Asian was certainly brave when he proved and shown his electric scooter accelerated to 70MPH in a short distance (About 1/8 mi.)! 7000W is 145+ Amps @48Volts! The batteries are 15 Ampere-hour! No wonder the little one can easily start the Av.. Better yet, it started a warm Duramax. (`Didn't have time then to wait for the engine to cool.)

I have a PC680, two PC1200's and the PC1700 in the Av now. I plan to remove a PC1200 and the PC680 for other things if & when I install a PC1500. `Seems they just won't go bad though!

There's a PC2250 made for tanks! These are not cheap though. A bit more buck for the bang. :rolleyes:

BTW, The public safety agency I worked for uses these batteries - especially in the LAW motorcycles. They deep discharge, start and will recharge quickly if needed. They swear by them.

--------------

"Tony" at West Coast Batteries in Corona CA said that he will "discount" for the club members - even though he's not a site sponsor or advertise here. He's the West Coast distributor for Hawker's Odyssey brand and doesn't want to step on his retailer's toes, so he can't advertise this.

Browse the site and read up on the articles...

Just call & ask! Mention "The Avalanche club". I doubt he would know the specifics of CAFCNA at this point. If there's a "problem", I'll jog his memory a bit.  :beating:

--

OK, so I did show up "soon".. >:D

Yes, I have - and a PC680 by it's side in the same tray. I'll be removing these for a PC1500 someday.

This is an old pic with a `1200MJT, `since been reworked. Shown for their fit only...

Attachments

• batts-tray-4-s.jpg
    batts-tray-4-s.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 111
OK I probably missed this answer but I'll ask it anyway, which Odyssey will fit in the second battery tray and still have the fender brace in place.  And another dump question would it be a problem to have a optima main and odyssey second batt.

roadrunner said:
Nice setup. 1500 is a little large for the tray. Tray dimensions are 6 3/4 x 10 1/8. 1500 measures 7 x 10. 7/8
pc1500 fits in stock tray (trays) , i know i have two of em' in my av'

MichiganSilver03 said:
OK I probably missed this answer but I'll ask it anyway, which Odyssey will fit in the second battery tray and still have the fender brace in place. And another dump question would it be a problem to have a optima main and odyssey second batt.

Here's a PC1200 in an aux tray. One SoCal member even fit a PC1700 there which took a bit of modding.

Attachments

• Aux_Billet-s.jpg
    Aux_Billet-s.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 90
Did he make the brace or buy it.

jimbo53188 said:
odyssey does indeed make the stinger car audio batteries, as well as scosche efx car audio batt's

I looked at the Stinger and Odyssey today and I thought they looked mighty similar. Glad to know they are exactly the same. I looked at the 680 version to add to my stereo. Has anyone done this?

The PC680 will deliver a lot of current and if you're cramped for space, I would certainly try it. :)

Let us know!

Now I know why Jb was talking about theses..  VERY NICE

Bethel Avalanche said:
How are the Odyssey Batteries in the cold, when its around 10 below zero ambient temp?  Sounds like there a better product then my NAPA special.  :laugh:
from their website...

Superior cranking and fast recharge capability - The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY? batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as -40?C.

Back