• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Fuel Additives

S

shades

Quick question... has anyone used toulene as an additive in their Av yet? If so, does it help (as far as noticable improvment) in performance or MPG gain? Now with fuel prices on the increase, would this be OK to use in every few tank fulls?

shades said:
Quick question... has anyone used toulene as an additive in their Av yet? If so, does it help (as far as noticable improvment) in performance or MPG gain? Now with fuel prices on the increase, would this be OK to use in every few tank fulls?
The only reason you would want to add toluene is to significantly boost the octane rating of your fuel - this is generally only neccessary if you are running very high boost or nitrous - will not significantly help a normal engine. The cost of the toluene and the hassle to get it with the current regulations would not seem beneficial.

that is correct, i have used toluene before but that was in a drag race engine with 11.5:1 compression ratio. It will actually hurt your performance and mpg because if you greatly increase your octane, well,higher octane fuel actually burns slower, hence the need for higher cr or nitrous or a blower.

I have used this fuel additive from LUCAS oil, available at any parts stores, and I got about 30 miles extra per tank of fuel. I do alot of freeway driving. I was really impressed and would highly recommend it to anyone. I've been using it for about a month and have noticed that it does cause my AV to idle slightly smoother also. So far so good. Best $7 bucks I've spent. With gas still at $1.99 a gallon :8: in Southern California every little bit counts.

Aaron

Mistersinister, i found a Lucas fuel injector cleaner last week and tried it, I actually did get a little better mielage on that tank and then it went back to normal.
The thing i wanted to mention is that when i run the regular STP fuel injector cleaner is my mileage goes down?
The lucas did seem to clean up the idle a little whereas no difference noted on the STP fuel injector cleaner when added. I try to run a little through her about every 3000 miles or should i say every 3 to 4 weeks.
The lucas i bought (fuel injector cleaner was 3.99 a bottle) Poured out like marvel mystery oil, kind of thick is what i am trying to say, the viscosity was thicker than the normal STP i have tried.
zeeya

I realize that this is an old thread, but anyone reading it should note that toluene is an extremely hazardous chemical and should not be handled unless you know the hazards and protect yourself!  It WILL be absorbed through your skin and by breathing any fumes.  There is a reason it was banned for most manufacturing uses!

Also, adding model aircraft fuel to gasoline is a waste of money as all you are getting is methanol and a small amount of nitromethane.  Not to mention the cost!  You will see no benefit from it other than a nice smell from the exhaust. 

Back