• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

0 To 60 In 6 Seconds

N

NightStorm

Only Mods so far on my 8.1 are a K@N Filter and a Hypertech programmer, Not bad for a
almost 3 and a half ton Truck cant wait to do more

Is this for real? Best stock times have been about 8-10. Do you have before and after times?

Wow, that sounds really quick for a HTPPIII and filter mod! Sounds more like Gandolphxxx territory, and he's got among MANY other things, a Whipple SC on his 8.1.

David

Yes its true timed by son, brother, and wife, not just by me, no never timed before, just set shift points at half of what i could

Do you have an '03 2500? ?Those are some incredible numbers with the HPIII. ?Can you share your program settings?

That is one powerful and fast truck.

Just for reference:
BMW X5 4.6is ($70k) 0-60 6.2 sec
MBZ ML55 AMG ($66k) 0-60 6.24 sec

I would be willing to bet there is a problem with your timing methodology.

Motor Trend Magazine tested a blown 8.1L Suburban, which weighs less than an Av. The Sub was equipped with a Kenne-Bell blower. It dynoed 406 RWHP and 544ft/lbs of torque. That is an increase of 146 HP at the rear wheels. This vehicle had 0-60 times of 6.7 seconds. The stock vehicle 0-60 times were 8.7 seconds.

Using a stop watch from a dead stop,at 60 miles per hr the stop watch read 6 seconds, this was tested over 10 times with the same results, The programer was set at half of all the shift point options and the Rev limiter was raised 500 RPM, I know it sounds impossible, so i will be glad to prove it. I live in the OKC area, will be glad to meet up with other AV owners to show you,,

The assumption here is that:

1. the speedometer is accurate

2. the stop watch is being stopped precisely at an indicated 60mph

Steelheadchaser said:
I would be willing to bet there is a problem with your timing methodology.

Motor Trend Magazine tested a blown 8.1L Suburban, which weighs less than an Av. The Sub was equipped with a Kenne-Bell blower. It dynoed 406 RWHP and 544ft/lbs of torque. That is an increase of 146 HP at the rear wheels. This vehicle had 0-60 times of 6.7 seconds. The stock vehicle 0-60 times were 8.7 seconds.

I have to go with steelheadchaser on this one. That method of timing is far from accurate. I would suggest buying a g tech pro or go to the track before making claims like that. Could you even imangine if thats how all people tested the times of there cars??? Comon nightstorm that fact that you even got the same numbers ten times makes it sound even worse. Sorry I dont mean to sound like a jerk, I am sure if you used the proper equipment you would relize what we are talking about. Just to make my point buy a G-teck pro, it's like $169.00 mount it in the car and record your 0-60 run if you post it here and get with in 5 tenths of your claim I will pay for it and send you an extra $100. for you time!

gandolphxx said:
Guess I will remove the Whipple, best I can do is 6.46 with a 1.999 60' :C:

I call dibs on the Wipple sitting in the club trash can! >:D

Relax, Fearless and Strobin. gandolphxx's "defective" blower won't fit your small blocks!

The best stock time I could get with my g-tech was 7.9 sec. I have not tested it with all my mods yet but damn, I must be able to take out john force if you do 0-60 in only 6 seconds :eek: :eek: :eek:

Alex

Guess I will remove the Whipple, best I can do is 6.46 with a 1.999 60'

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Actually you can find the basic version of the G-Tech for about $140...

I'm not sayin' he can do 0-60 in the time he says, but I do know after atapping my Z71, that the speedo is accurate compared to the PCM... And so is the Tach... Now actual measured ground speed might be a different story... >:D >:D >:D

11H

Heck with the whiple...I want Nightstrorms AV! I did some figuring with that weight and 4.11 gears...it'd take about 550 rwhp and 600+ lbft torque...unless it was downhill ; )

Wish i was closer to the OKC area ;D
My wifes new altima with the V-6 supposebly does 0-60 in around 6.5 and there is no comparison in the AV and her car. That little thing scoots. There are no mods that i could add, except maybe a whipple peaked out to get my 1500 to do a 0-60 in 6 seconds and the 1500's are supposed to be a little quicker than the 2500's due to weight and i think you call it torque management.
Isn't 6.0 right around the little porsche boxter range?
If that is right, that would be the fastest AV in america,,,,,,,,,,,,,I guess
Let me know when you come through and i get out of the way...... to fast for me?

Hmm, think maybe we should have some track runs scheduled at the national and regional events to see who does have the fastest Avalanche in North America. What do you all think?

NightStorm said:
Using a stop watch from a dead stop,at 60 miles per hr the stop watch read 6 seconds, this was tested over 10 times with the same results, The programer was set at half of all the shift point options and the Rev limiter was raised 500 RPM, I know it sounds impossible, so i will be glad to prove it. I live in the OKC area, will be glad to meet up with other AV owners to show you,,

Well that sounds like a rock solid methodology to me!!. Maybe your truck is just a factory freak!!

Your truck is faster than an Audi TT 225 Quattro!!

Simply Amazing!!!! ;)

I expected all the negitive comments and excuses (timing method,wrong speedo reading, ETC, But I stand by it and am willing to prove my claim, but those who are so skeptical and the so called experts want to see for them self I will try this weekend to Video tape it, or they can drive to OKC :) Have a good weekend

When you say 0-60 in 6 seconds, we are all assuming that you are talking 60 mph, not 0-60 feet. Is that correct?

If that can be proven, that is one freakin engine or Hypertech got some secret stuff hidden in the programmer. I firmly believe that 8.1 has a lot of potential. How much? we will just have to wait and see.

NightStorm said:
I expected all the negitive comments and excuses (timing method,wrong speedo reading, ETC, But I stand by it and am willing to prove my claim, but those who are so skeptical and the so called experts want to see for them self I will try this weekend to Video tape it, or they can drive to OKC ?:) Have a good weekend

Hey NightStorm! Welcome to the club and we're glad to have you here. I'm glad that you are happy with the performance of your 2500 Avalanche.

First off (and this goes for everyone else) lets get one thing clear. There are a lot of published reports that put the 0 - 60 MPH time of the Avalanche (1500 & 2500 combined) between 8.2 and 8.9 seconds STOCK. We're talking getting 3 tons of sheetmetal to 60 MPH in under 9 seconds, now I don't care what you say that is impressive in my book.

I do have a hard time swallowing the fact that a HPP III and a FIPK has shaved 2.2 to 2.9 seconds off of your 0 - 60 MPH time. HOWEVER with that said I do think it is quite possible for you to be at 8.0 seconds or a hair faster if everything aligns just right.

Whether you're getting 6.0, 7.0, or 8.0 is moot in my book - the Avalanche is an incredible performance machine on and off the road.

Again - welcome to the club and congrats on a sweet ride.

:0: Hey gandolphxx - I think you need to drive up to OKC and race for pink slips!

Back