• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Predator Problems....

Perpendicular

Hope I am the only one, but thought I would post in case I am not and there is already a fix out there. I have not contact the manufacturer, yet.

Ok, let' say you are driving along and want to pass someone and traffic is heavy. Then, you press the Tow/Haul mode to get the RPM gear change mapping changed so that it will drop a gear or two faster along with changing the shift point. You punch it and go around them and head off with no problems.

A few minutes later you turn off the Tow/Haul mode as you have passed everyone that was slowing you down and basically return the truck to the mild mannered AV everyone knows, only you start to notice your A/C compressor is no longer pumping freon. No mater if you adjust the Temp (automatic climate control) or turn the fan up, the compressor is not turning on any more and the air coming out of the vents is warm by my standards. The only way I have been able to reset this is to hit the A/C button turning it off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on again.

This seems like a programing / mapping issue with the way the Predator maps the computer and the A/C cutoff. It refuses to release the shutoff until you cycle the A/C system.

I need to know if there is anyone else observing this situation. Since it is just starting to get warm enough here in Texas, I am now noticing it. I am not sure if it has done this since I purchaed the unit a few months ago as I have not really needed the A/C much although it is always on automatic and I may have not noticed is all.

Anyone able to reproduce this, or is it just me? I can pretty easily reproduce it, although I have only recently put two and two together as to why my A/C is flakey :-(

Thanks in advance.

By any chance have you restored the stock program and attempted to reproduce the problem? Seems to me this would quickly resolve whether it is the Predator that is causing the problem or not.

I am going to yank the programming out tomorrow night, but realize that nothing else has changed on the computer since everything last wqorked correctly and that is why I am suspecting the Predator.

I will post more details as I have them, but was hoping to see if anyone else was having this issue or not. If it is the truck, that would suck :-( The Predator is a much easier to accept problem...

Um, I am missing something. Why not sift from overdrive to drive, works fine for me. Tow/haul is not meant for anything put towing and hauling. By misusing it you'll probably screw up your tranny.

Huh? The truck should have no problem doing this, and it sure as heck should not break from me doing this any more than changing from OD to D. BTW, you don't want to do that either from your statements basis....

If the truck was that weak, I would seriously be worried :)

As for why, well, the TowHaul mode is programmed by the Predator to do exactly what I am asking of it, to tow butt and haul A$$ when I want it to. One of the main reasons for buying the Predator.

sjtommy99,,,

Tow/haul is not meant for anything put towing and hauling. By misusing it you'll probably screw up your tranny.

All the T/H button does is raise shift points, and keeps the converter unlocked longer between them... It also lowers the 1-2 and 2-3 shift point MPH to about 3 MPH less from 1-2, and 2 MPH less from 2-3 (stock config...)

Running the T/H all the time on a non-programmed tranny will actually make the tranny last LONGER (theoretically) due to less lugging, and slippage between shifts...

The last thing T/H will do is hurt anything ... Except maybe a little fuel mileage ...?>:D

11H

predwarr1.gif
This was Arnolds Pedator problem >:D

I agreed with wombat, go back to stock and see if it still does it. ?I don't think the Predator code does anything to the AC. ?

I had a 5L Mustang GT that would shut down the A/C compressor on WOT to keep the load off the engine but I don't know if our AV's have anything like that on them.

sjtommy99

With the Predator the Tow/haul mode is tuned more for preformance and is very noticeable when driven. ?The shifts are quicker and firmer and the tranny doesn't upshift as soon as the stock setup does.

Went back to stock and it didn't do it. BUT today the HVAC didn't come on at all :-(

I have an appointment for a rental car this afternoon and to drop off the truck at my favorite dealer. Will let everyone know what happens...

Perpendicular said:
Hope I am the only one, but thought I would post in case I am not and there is already a fix out there. I have not contact the manufacturer, yet.

Ok, let' say you are driving along and want to pass someone and traffic is heavy. Then, you press the Tow/Haul mode to get the RPM gear change mapping changed so that it will drop a gear or two faster along with changing the shift point. You punch it and go around them and head off with no problems.

A few minutes later you turn off the Tow/Haul mode as you have passed everyone that was slowing you down and basically return the truck to the mild mannered AV everyone knows, only you start to notice your A/C compressor is no longer pumping freon. No mater if you adjust the Temp (automatic climate control) or turn the fan up, the compressor is not turning on any more and the air coming out of the vents is warm by my standards. The only way I have been able to reset this is to hit the A/C button turning it off, wait a few seconds and turn it back on again.

I have driven in the same situation that you described and have never had this happen to me.

I have been running the Predator for a long time.

I will say that you can tune the Predator to behave like it is in Tow/Haul mode for your normal driving.

I am curious as to what the dealer found..

Dealer found the Low Pressure Switch, AGAIN..... Second time in the shop (10K miles) with a bad low pressure switch giving me fits. First time the A/C just didn't seem cool enough, this time it killed the A/C completely.

Apparenlty when I went into the Tow/Haul mode and punched it, the engine would ramp up in RPM's and the pressure would change enough to warp out the switch.

Did not have any issues on the way home last night - only 8 miles, but I will probably not drive it till this weekend (too nice not to ride the BMW to work, etc) and will do a couple of hundred mile tests :)

This is a good point that I don't think has been mentioned in this forum yet...

--- Some vehicles have an A/C cutout switch that will de-activate the compressor when you mash it to the floor, it is to protect the compressor against high RPM wear/abuse ... I don't think my av has a cutout ... So whether you know you have a cutout or not, just to be safe, turn off the A/C when you mash it ... Sometimes it's easy to forget, but it is important ... Some compressors will spin the bearing inside after some 6,000 RPM runs ... I have heard of older 5.0 Mustangs spinning the compressor bearing quite often ... These compressors are bukoo bucks, and spinning them along with the motor up to red line is hell on them, and if they are running in 100 degree plus heat, it will cause you some unforseen damage... My advice is, shut off the A/C if you're gonna mash it ... ---

11H

Back