• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2007 Z71 (18") Tires - how big?

lmychajluk

Can I go to a 285/65-18 on a stock z71 suspension w/o a lift or trimming?

There also don't seem to be too many options for 18" rims. There's the BFG T/A KO's, but they're expensive. Any other recommendations for a good, larger than stock all-around AT tire that will fit the 2007's 18"x8" stock rims?

I'm hoping to make a deal on an '07 Z71 this week, and just have to do something about the stock tires. They just don't look quite right. I need something a little wider w/ OWL!!! Hoping to swap ASAP and sell off the stock tires.

Anybody have any info on this? I am also getting a z71 and I was wanting to go with the 285 65 18 bfgoodrich tires.

Stuey, I found out a few things since I posted orginally.

First, look at this link:
http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/GM_IFS_07.htm
You'll see that a couple of the leveling kits (~$100) allow for the running of  285/70/17 or 33x12.5 with an otherwise stock suspension. If you look at tires at Tirerack.com, in the 'Specs' link for each tire there is information about the actual measurements, so you can check the measurements of the tire you're looking at to see if it'll fit.

As for me, I think I'm going to go with one of the leveling kits and aftermarket 17" rims and 285/70-17 Revos, which are listed at 11.5 x 32.8, so I hope they'll fit!

Oh, one more thing... if you haven't figured it out yet, all the discussions about Ford Keys and cranking the torsion bars around here don't apply to the '07's. That had me really confused for a few days... :E:

325-60-18 , 3"body lift and ford keys , with a little trimming dont rub at all

Attachments

• 100_0080 (WinCE).jpg
    100_0080 (WinCE).jpg
    16 KB · Views: 652
325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grappler on 18X10 Helo Maxx6 wheels.  It won't fit unless you're lifted.

Attachments

• Nitto.JPG
    Nitto.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 641
lmychajluk said:

There also don't seem to be too many options for 18" rims. There's the BFG T/A KO's, but they're expensive. Any other recommendations for a good, larger than stock all-around AT tire that will fit the 2007's 18"x8" stock rims?

I'm hoping to make a deal on an '07 Z71 this week, and just have to do something about the stock tires. They just don't look quite right. I need something a little wider w/ OWL!!! Hoping to swap ASAP and sell off the stock tires.

For what its worth I had BFG AT's with the lettering out on my Jeep for 8 yrs. When I bought my 07 Z71 I was wary about the stock Bridgestone AT tyres until I went to Lake Tahoe in a storm that dumped 2ft of snow overnight. The stock tyres performed as well as the BFG's had in the past. The black side wall look has also grown on me. So I would not write off the stock Bridgestones yet. Try them for a while and I think you will like them.

Just remember everything is a trade-off. Bigger tires and/or more aggressive tread patterns usally results in compromised ride, decreased gas mileage,and  increased noise in the quest for the  :cool: look

lmychajluk said:

Did you ever find out if the 285/65-18 BFG's will fit on an '07 z71 without a lift or trimming?

I'd like to add those exact tires if they will fit.

I never got a definitive answer, and I ended up w/ an LTZ, but I'm fairly certain they will fit w/ something like the Rancho Quicklift.

locogringo said:
Did you ever find out if the 285/65-18 BFG's will fit on an '07 z71 without a lift or trimming?

:welcome: to the club loco. Like BUDMAN said in this thread you will need some lift.

locogringo,

If you look at the Rancho Quicklift I mentioned in my last post, it says that the lift provides 1-2.5" of lift to the front end, and will fit a 285/70r17 tire. A 285/65r18 is ~.1" shorter than the the 285/70r17, and they're both <33", so it will most likely fit. Likewise, a leveling kit that provides about the same amount of lift up front should provide the same clearances. It seems most of the 2" leveling kits from various manufacturers claim they'll clear a 33x12.5 tire (as per the notes at Rocky Mountain Suspension - http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/GM_IFS_07.htm).

locogringo said:
About how much of a lift?

I've read talk about these 'leveling kits'. ? Would that suffice??
You will need 3 to 4" to clear safely especially if you want 10" wide rims and or so you won't have to do any serious trimming.My advice would be to put a 3'' body lift and the leveling kit on with the gap gaurds and with the 10'' wide rims.That would be sharp.My $.02.Here is a picture of my truck with a 3" body lift on 33's with 10" wide rims before I lifted mine more.But I rubbed just every now and then thats why I said to add the leveling kit also, to get you that little bit extra lift.

Attachments

• fitted picture.JPG
    fitted picture.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 459
locogringo said:

Here's an excellent write up about using 285/65 18 BFG on a 07 Z71
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,80196.0.html

Well, I still haven't pulled the trigger on this as of yet.

Maybe by now there's more owners of 2007 Z71's on here that have had this done and can give more feedback on the subject?

2958290583_90740a98cd.jpg

I went with 33x12.50x20 on my 07 but it took a little work.  I put a 2.5" front leveling kit and a 1" spring spacer in the rear.  The front tires hit the plastic front bumper bracket pretty hard so I made my own out of steel with a lot more clearance the zip-tied the plastic wheel liner to them.  I also had to re-shape the rear corners of the front fenders.  They fit now but would have rubbed badly if I hadn't done all of this.

Back