• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 Check Engine Light

rfc

Just bought a used 2002 Z71 Avalanche with 80,000 miles 2 weeks ago. The truck is in great shape. Like the truck but am getting frustrated.
3 days after purchasing the truck the check engine light came on. Took it in and was told it was the gas cap. Drove it 2 days and again the light came on. Did not refuel during this time so the cap was still tight from the dealer resecuring it. Took it in a second time - they got the same code but replaced the "solenoid" as they said this is the second most common cause for the code. Drove 2 days without refueling and again the light came on tonight. The dealer who is Nissan/Kia is going to take it to a Chevy Dealer this week to try to track down the problem - they said Chevy would have better equipement and access to help.
What could this be? What can I do differently to get this problem diagnosed and corrected as I don't have the time to continue a wild goose chase? :help:

Identifying the code in question is the first step.

A (Pxxxx-code) like that should show up on even that NON-GM dealer's code reader. Or did they read it?

Might want to try a different gas cap - is it a locking one by chance? 

IF ITS THE STOCK GAS CAP WITH THE 2 PINS THAT ENGAGE THE FILLER NECK GET A NEW AFTERMARKET ONE. I RUN A SMOG SHOP AND IVE SEEN THOSE CAPS DO THAT. THEY DONT SEEM TO FIT VERY TIGHT WHEN YOU TIGHTEN THEM DOWN. BUT IF ITS A USED CAR FROM A DEALER MAKE THEM FIGURE IT OUT. THE LADY WHO RUNS OUR OFFICE HAS AN 05 CORVETTE AND THE DEALER ACTUALLY WENT OUT AND SHOWED HER HOW TO PUT A CAP ON!!! SHE WAS P.O'D SHE SAID SHE HAS BEEN PUTTING ON GAS CAPS FOR 40 YEARS. ANYWAY THE LIGHT CAME BACK ON AND WE PUT ONE OF OUR CAPS ON IT AND ITS FIXED!!

Back