• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Service Air Bag Message

sainiak

2007 Chevy Avalanche 1500 4WD, Z71

The service air bag message and indicator light has been coming on intermittently - seems to do it when it is really cold outside.

I took it to the dealer, they removed both front seats, inspected connectors and terminals, but could not duplicate the problem.?

They told me codes B0083 and B0084 were in history.? I have seen these codes listed in TSBs, but it never describes the problem in enough detail or suggest a way to correct the problem.? I have searched this forum and can't find any more details.

Is there anything that can be done to correct this problem?? Is it even a problem?? I just want to make sure my air bags are still functioning properly.

Hi,

I had the same problem with my 2003 avi. . . let me tell what happened. . .

I decided to install my sirius receiver above the rear view mirror, in that little compartment up there, so i pulled down the whole assembly.   the wires from the rear view mirror run through there, but i did not mess with them, and went on to do a nice installation of the sirius unit.   shortly i had put everything back, and all was working fine, except that i started getting the same message you do.   I went to the dealer and they told me the same thing they told you.   I did not want to pay them $110/hr to take the seats out and find nothing, so i said to myself that i'll do it one day when i have time.  

Within the next week someone bought my avi, it had been for sale, so i did not get a chance to open things up.   i had told the buyer of the airbag code and he was fine with it.

So the only thing i can think of is that since there are wires going to the rear view mirror which in turn indicates weather the passenger airbag is on or off, there may be a short somewhere in those electrical lines.   it was too coincidental that i had just messed with the cabin light fixture and then the code comes on.

I wish you luck.   It may not be related, but after hearing that they pulled your seats out and found nothing wrong, I would have looked at the wires going to the rear view mirror.

:B:

Back