• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Volant Air Intake

T

th-motorsports

I have the Volant air intake because they use a sealed box which is suppose to only pull in cool air, not the hot air from the engine compartment. But (Big BUT), the air only comes into the box from a 3-4" hole at the bottom of the box. I thought there would be a big intake hole that would be sealed to a fender (or something). I know they designed this for the ram air setup, but that setup is not available for the Avy (8.1). What if I cut a BIG hole at the bottom to allow more air volume? Any thoughts? Any experts? ???

I have the 5.3L and I just installed my Volant Intake.

It has the 4" hole in the bottom for the scoop, but it also has a rather large square opening on the fender side.

I would think that the 8.1L would have the same box setup.

But I dunno....G man has one we will see what he says.

I have a Volant sitting in my living room, very frustrated, it won't fit with the Whipple :8:

As to the box, it has a rectangular hole that matches the fender inlets in addition to the hole in the bottom. If mine had fit I would have put foam tape on the fender side for a better seal and rattle dampening. The hole in the bottom is perfect and will pull in air along the fender well, very nice even without the ram air inlet.

If you drive in a lot of high water you might want to fit in a dryer vent cap to keep out water, but still let in the air.

All things considered it is an excellent box, just won't fit with the intercooler. If I didn't have the SC the Volant is the one that I would go with. :)

That 4 inch square opening should be there in the side of the Box LandHo.., mine has it.., if its not., Id call them to see whats up.., could have been a mistake, when it was made......

Thanks. I will look. But back when I installed it, I thought there was just the hole at the bottom. I'll get to the bottom of this (or the side of this). :) :)

I have a Volant on my Av and my dad made the scoop fit it is a custom job right now and required alot of modification to fit the 5.3 especially since i have the Gm Brush guard on the av as well. either way the intake works well and sucks cold air right by the tow hook hole on the cladding later...

Yep, how embarrassing. I do have the side cutout. Must've been sipping too much low octane recently. :3: :3: :3:

I would like to have a cold air scoop too.

I also changed the airbox cover to a tinted polycarbonate cover so that I can see the BIG cone filter.
Looks much better.....

LandHO said:
Yep, how embarrassing. ?I do have the side cutout. ?Must've been sipping too much low octane recently. :3: :3: :3:

I would like to have a cold air scoop too.

I also changed the airbox cover to a tinted polycarbonate cover so that I can see the BIG cone filter.
Looks much better.....

If you are going to buy the ram air scoop, then the hole at the bottom will be just right, if you are not then you may want to expand it and fit some water protection on it.

Where are you guys ordering the Volant from? How much? (y)

I ordered mine from T Byrne Motorsports.They had them on sale over the memorial weekend for around $250. Their regular price is $279.99. They are presently back-ordered for about 2 weeks at Volant.

Got mine from Traders (562-204-2044), can't remember the exact price, but $250-280 sound about right. Got a bunch of other things so that I would not feel bad about the price of one item (strange logic, but usefull to confuse the spouse (I think she gave up my logic a long time ago)). They don't have a specific one for the 3/4 ton Avy, but the 3/4 HD Pickup w/8.1 will be the one you want. :B:

I have installed Volant airbox and filter that arrived late this A.M.. It is quiet at idle and cruise, but wakes up and growls like a Holley 750 dbl. pumper with a big, open element air filter when you step on it hard. The big Av scoots pretty well now once above 2500 rpm or so. Still a bit lazy from a dead stop to about 2500rpm. I assume the torque managment system is to blame. I am curious to check my mileage now if I can manage to stop "testing" acceleration and noise levels. The Volant looks to be well engineered and made from decent materials. I can imagine how loud the open top boxes made with thinner plastics must be. I would be curious to see a dyno shoot-out that included the Volant as well as the stock box and the UPD. Or maybe I don't want to know now? :cautious:

If anyone is interested there is volant system on ebay right now, 7-7-02 3:14 am that is currently at 50.00 with no bids. could be due to the fact that it is just the box and does not have the piping that goes from the housing to the throttle body. He states that he did not purchase that when he bought the unit.. can you do that?
am thinking about bidding on it myself since i have the tbs and it would work for me since i would not have to cut the fan shroud. Just do not know if it would do any good with just the box and factory piping. ???

I'm "making" a Volant fit on my 8.1 Suburban with the Whipple. I'll post some details when it's finished. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to mention this but we have a group purchase running for the Volant inductions until 7/15. Just e-mail volantgp@tbyrne.com for the price list. Details can be found in the GP section of our site.

Tom

Tom, whatever parts you have to fabricate, please make two, I am dying to use the one I bought. ;D

PS: From you, of course!

The Volant is a first class replacement airbox, filter and intake, otherwise known as a FIPK, similar to the K&N, UPD and Airraid. It is not a snorkel, thaough that is an interesting topic of its own.

cahck Volant FIPK

You can mention whatever You'd like here Tom..., by the way.., have You done a Whipple on a 5.3 Burb, or Av..., Im hoping to install mine .., finely next week..., and from just eye balling it..., it looks like all ill have to do..., is recut the angle on the Whipples intake tube to make it line up right with the Volant box..., not sure yet.., ill see better when its mounted on..., Im working on getting the water injection mounted up now..... Whipple says I can run up to 8lbs of Boost with it..., but ill try it with the standerd 6 lb pully first..., then try the 7 lb pully, and play with some nozzels to see how it works out.....

Now I can see the nice blue filter. ?Oil change jocks were in awe ?:cool:
pubimage.asp

Butch: Haven't done a 5.3/6.0 Whipple install yet (only a MagnaCharger on a 5.3 Avalanche). I posted some pics of the tube that I put together to mate the Volant up to an 8.1 Whipple. They can be found in the current supercharger thread. I don't hear any induction noise with the Volant/supercharger. The noise increased alot by feeding a MagneCharger through an Airaid system.

Tom

I will admit I am a rookie when it comes to performance modifications, but I am willing to learn!

First dumb question...what is the 'ram air scoop' mentioned in some of the postings?

Kevalanche

for the VOlant it is a way to suck river water directly into your engine >:D

I will go with the UPD when I can find the money.

P.S. How does the UPD handle the mass air sensor near the box?

flynhigh said:
for the VOlant it is a way to suck river water directly into your engine ?>:D

I will go with the UPD when I can find the money.

P.S. ?How does the UPD handle the mass air sensor near the box?
That is not correct unless you are very foolish, many have found clever was to use the ram port without risking a reverse snorkel effect. I personally enjoy the larger filter area, about 15% than the stock/UPD combo.

To those of you who have the volant cold air intake, I am planning on getting it and just wanted some feedback on it. Whether it is the best on to get for that kind of money or is there another one that is better.

Also is there anything that you would recommend getting with it, other than a supercharger, to further increase the overall performance. ???

Thanks! :cool:

Would anyone like to comment on performance?

Gas mileage?

How it might compare to the UPD or FIPK?

I like this box alot, but I'm a bit skeptical due to the comments I heard from the gentleman with the 6.0 in his ext cab truck who dyno'd a box with and without the ram air opening. 'With' the opening actually lost power.

Back