• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

New tailgate panel and actuator install

Adrockamn

Well, it took all day to remove my damaged tailgate panel and to install the actuator and the new panel. The old panel is going to need a lot of work because of not just the damage from the trailer that came unhitched but from trying to remove it as well. I don't think my tailgate is the same as what I have seen from other members photos That have done the actuator mod. I am waiting on the glue to dry and then I will be done. I just need help figuring out how to wire the actuator to the door locks. I do not see a plug under the post for access to the harness. So any advice about that would be greatly appreciated.

As for photos I have them and need help getting the on here.  :E:

Looking forward to seeing the pix.  I need to add the actuator still....as for help, have you tried to using the search option.  I remember seeing a detailed plan before...

I have it. I wish I could figure out how to load the pics to show what I am talking about. The talegate panel on my 05 is actually different from the other tailgate mods I have seen and this make mine harder to remove with out trashing the panel. Thank goodness mine was being replaced anyway.

To upload pix all ya need to do is click the "additional options"  then hit the browse and add you pix.  Make sure you re-size it to under 100kb

Wow! :E: I feel Stupid! :E:

Attachments

• adam_tailgate_006.JPG
    adam_tailgate_006.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 223
  • adam_tailgate_010.JPG
    adam_tailgate_010.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 225
Me too. I just hope that before anyone attempt this mod they find out if they have a tailgate like mine or just decide to not remove the panel and do it the other way. Through the handle that is.

Adrockamn,

If you ever had thoughts about a backup camera, now is the time! I'm sure that has already occurred to you...

OK, here is a link to a thread by member blaronn, who took the time to document and photograph an install of both a tailgate power lock and a backup cam;

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,45208.msg792543.html#msg792543

Look at reply #31 in that thread. His pics are great, too - see the url in his msg. . (I did the same install, and it is by far my best and most useful set of mods).

Hope this helps, and good luck!

How did you get the old skin off,  what did you use on the 3m tape

The only thing 3m taped was the top cladding peice above the handle everything else was very very hard glue. To get the cladding peice off I just got a breakaway utility knife and scored it from the back. It is tight together so it will take a few pulls. Then I went from one side to another just slowly pulling the skin panel side of the cladding apart. If you go slow it will start to seperate and you will need to fight the little clips. When using the break away blade WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. 

good pix...now to find out how to get you wired up.

here are a few links that might help

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,69480.msg1065218.html#msg1065218

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,53635.msg830522.html#msg830522

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,48532.msg76191.html#msg76191

Gents,

The wiring info is buried in the thread I listed above.  Pics and all.

naylor99 said:
Gents,

The wiring info is buried in the thread I listed above.? Pics and all.

Sorry!  My eyes missed that :beating: >:D

Adrockamn said:
The only thing 3m taped was the top cladding peice above the handle everything else was very very hard glue. To get the cladding peice off I just got a breakaway utility knife and scored it from the back. It is tight together so it will take a few pulls. Then I went from one side to another just slowly pulling the skin panel side of the cladding apart. If you go slow it will start to seperate and you will need to fight the little clips. When using the break away blade WEAR SAFETY GLASSES.

OK did you reglue it or how did you attach the new one, I bought a EXT skin and in sitting in the gargage ready to be put on

naylor99 said:
I figured...and I was not clear. Is it still Monday?? ?:E:

you have no idea :laugh:

MichiganSilver03 said:
OK did you reglue it or how did you attach the new one, I bought a EXT skin and in sitting in the gargage ready to be put on

Well, this maybe a little strange to some but I liqued nailed it back on and then I riveted the bottom with new holes because I couldnt get large enough rivets. The panel being removed if you have an 2005 is going to get messed up but if you are not using it again the no big deal.

Thanks Adrockamn I thought it was taped all the way around

Adrockamn said:
What year Av do you have?

Sorry I miss this reply I have a 03 and every thread I read say's it is 3m tape all around, sounds like your had seam sealer

I'm thinkin its an 05 and 06 thing. That's the only thing I can think of. Mine is all dint and on my truck though and I love the actuator no more having to shut the truck off just to unlock the tailgate. Whether you decide to take off the panel or buy the kit and install it in place it is worth every minute of you time and dollar you will spend.

I already have a escalade panel, I am going to put in a Backup camera and the actuator at the same time so I have to do it one time only.

Back