Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EVERYTHING Trailer Brake Controllers  (Read 249108 times)

Gilly03Ave

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
Re: EVERYTHING Trailer Brake Controllers
« Reply #200 on: 03/29/07 05:11 PM »

I AM TRYING TO INSTALL A TEKONSHA VOYAGER BRAKE CONTROL, I HAVE LOOKED UNDER THE DASH AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIND WHERE I NEED TO PLUG MY HARNESS INTO?  ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!

Gilly03Ave

« Reply #201 on: 03/29/07 06:16 PM »

NEVER MIND I HAVE TOTALLY FIGURED IT OUT AND EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT!!!!!

rlc323

• CAFCNA 2011 Supporting Member
  • The Backseat Passengers
« Reply #202 on: 04/03/07 06:43 PM »

Good price on Prodigy Brake Controler at etrailer.com. I bought one from them last spring and paid a bit more than this. I'm not affiliated with them but they do have good prices and service.

http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=90185&Category_Code=BB
2002 Z-71 Victory Red   BEL 950 Radar Detector  Prodigy Brake Contoller  Gibson Extreme Dual Exhaust  Aeroforce Interceptor OBD2 Scan Gauge  Amber DRL's  OEM T.O.C.  Monroe Reflex Shocks  EGR Tapeless VentVisors  Lloyd Floor Mats  Seatsaver Seat Covers (for our 2 Golden Retriever Pasengers)

RidinFool

• '03 Av
« Reply #203 on: 04/04/07 05:30 AM »

I am going to be hooking up my brake controller tonight i believe and was wondering if someone could help me. I had it all hooked up in my old 97 chevy 1/2 ton with out any harnesses or anything i just ran my own wires. I beleive the module is a Rese controller. i was wondering if i had to buy the harness or if i can just splice into an existing wire. any help would be GREATLY appreciated. i am also going to hook up my plug so the lights in the trailer work. any advice on that would be wonderful as well.

AVid

• CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member
« Reply #204 on: 04/04/07 11:24 AM »

The easiest thing is to point you towards this Thread.

HTH
AVid

AVid

« Reply #205 on: 06/02/07 03:06 AM »

Do 05's need brake controllers also for pulling?

Need more info....pulling what?  Model year has nothing to do with it...size and weight of trailer do.

AVid

Blu

« Reply #206 on: 06/02/07 03:24 AM »

Just finished reading the whole thread, understand Avid. Daaa! Hey Beer thanks for those pics you posted, it really helps. Another thing to do, good to have it if needed. Simple addition.
05 LT 1500 WBH 4x4 Black, Wind tint, chrome tube side steps, Locking Gas Cap, Airaid Intake box-filter after MAF, Poweraid throttle body spacer, Royal Purple Syn Oil, Pro Comp Extreme 6005 9.5 width, Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/50/20, Magnaflow replace w/blk chrome tip, Hyper Wht Fog lights, Sylvania Cool Blue Night Lights, Amber Day Lites,Painted Frt Lower Valance, Replace Drivers w/Keyless Entry.

spdrcrj

« Reply #207 on: 07/22/07 05:56 PM »

Hey Everyone,

I just installed my brake controller tonight using the harness that came with my AV ('04).   I installed the 40amp fuse (thanks to info from this site) and wired up my controller correctly.   Problem is, my brake lights come on and stay on whenever I plug the controller in.   Ok. . . I know I'm going to get laughed at for this but, hey, I have next to "NO" knowledge on towing but I bought a Hopkins controller.   Anyway. . . anyone know why my brake lights are on and dont go off?  When I unplug the unit, everything works normally.   I wired this thing up as below.

stock harness wire / Hopkins harness wire
red / black
Lt Blue / Red
Black / White
Dk Blue / Blue

TIA for any help. . . . gotta get to an HPDE soon.
Jim

Zook

« Reply #208 on: 10/10/07 04:02 PM »

I installed my prodigy brake controller and am having a problem with it.   It wants to apply the brakes even though I'm not touching the brakes.   It'll read anywhere between 3. 0 to 1. 0 volts just going down the freeway.   Any ideas what's wrong?

ygmn

• Administrator
  • Insert Funny Text Here _______________ .
« Reply #209 on: 10/10/07 04:04 PM »

what year Avy do you have?
What harness did you use?

2002 harness cannot be used on later years... without repinning connector.
Thread Killer ... After I post they die?
2002 Pewter Z66 - Sept 2001
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Zook

« Reply #210 on: 10/10/07 05:04 PM »

I've got an '05 1500 and I'm using the factory harness/pigtail spliced into the prodigy's wiring.

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: 10/11/07 06:08 AM »

05 did not come with Harness when bought new so you must have purchased it.

Can you get the Part number?
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

Yamaho1

• Perfect truck for me...Chevy Avalanche
« Reply #212 on: 10/11/07 10:24 AM »

To make it really simple you can buy a direct conncecting harness from Prodigy or Drawtite, all the same manufacturer anyway for most tow gear, and its plug and play.
Was only about $12.
2004 SBM Z71 Avalanche WBH, Fully Loaded except sunroof. 3.73 Gears, K & N Drop in Air Filter, GM Auxiliary Trans Cooler, Sherwood dash Kit, Prodigy Brake Controller. Firestone Coil Rites. Dunlop RVXT LT265/70/17 with 17 X 8 Ultra Mako black machined wheels. Next up...Billet Grill and Exhaust.

Zook

« Reply #213 on: 10/11/07 09:50 PM »

Hmm, I bought the truck used and it have the harness in the glovebox.   It definetly looked like it had been installed before.   I might have to just buy the plug and play one.   At least the truck stops surprisingly well without the trailer brakes! 

4Hummer

• Heavy Chevy
« Reply #214 on: 11/12/07 12:57 PM »

After Reading this entire thread you guys have answered a ton of questions  (THANKS THIS BOARD ROCKS)

see post: hxxp: www.  chevyavalanchefanclub.  com/cafcna/index.  php/topic,91215.  msg1438868.  html#msg1438868

One remaining question tho  What is the Part Number for the wiring harness that you plug in under tha dash and connect the brake controller to ???  (Mine is missing Bought the unit used)

GM Wants $100.  00 for a wiring kit that goes front to back ????  That cant be correct can it.  

BTW its a 2004 Z71 AV with the 5. 3 and tow package
« Last Edit: 11/12/07 01:02 PM by 4Hummer »

ygmn

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: 11/12/07 12:59 PM »

Check this thread I am sure it is in there somewhere

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,84354.0.html
CAFCNA Album
LSU BABY!
YANKEES BABY!
SAINTS BABY!

heine12oz

« Reply #216 on: 01/05/08 02:07 PM »

does anyone have a picture or part # for the green 40a fuse that is needed in the 2003?  I know that it is the B+ trailering J-case fuse, but I want to see it so I know that I have the right one before I buy it. 

thanks for the help

Waz

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • Some times you just have to grin and bear it.
« Reply #217 on: 01/05/08 02:36 PM »

As you should be able to see in the chart, the 40 amp J-Case fuse should be green. It should be shaped like the 60 amp in the picture.
'04 1500 2wd, SBM, cladded

heine12oz

« Reply #218 on: 01/05/08 02:58 PM »

awesome.  Thanks for the quick response. Off to the parts store.  Controller is installed, just no power to it.  Damn 03  :E:

Leafangel

« Reply #219 on: 02/08/08 05:34 AM »

Hi!!  I’m new here.  I hope some one can help me.  I have a 2003 Avalanche 1500.  I’m trying to hook up a trailer brake controller.  I have the harness that plugs in under the dash on the left side.  The instructions for the harness say to plug it in and check for power with a tester.  I did and have no power.  There is a fuse in the “STUD 2” position of the UBEC.  I have read elsewhere that there is a wire between the UBEC and the fender that needs to be connected to “STUD 2” to provide power to the brake control.  Is this true? What about “STUD1”, is this only for auxiliary power to the trailer or does it have something to do with the trailer brake circuit as well?

Thanks in advance!!

Leaf

Leafangel

« Reply #220 on: 02/08/08 06:22 AM »

Ok after some further reading I think I have this figured out.  I do need to hook up the power under the hood.  I'll go home tonight and give it a shot.  My last tow vehicle was a Ford Excursion and the brake controller hook up on it was plug and play, to easy.  I wish GM would take some of their competitions ideas and put them to use!

Thanks again!!

Leaf

AVid

« Reply #221 on: 02/08/08 06:32 AM »

On a 2003 there are no wires to hook up. That silly "feature" showed up on the 2007 GMT900 models. The fuse that has to be installed in yours is for the 12v feed to the trailer and has nothing to do with the trailer brakes. I suggest you pull the fuse in both stud positions and check them. I think you will find the one that supplies power to the controller is blown. Or...make doubly sure you have the right harness, they changed in 2003.

AVid

Ichabod

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • SAM Delta Delta
« Reply #222 on: 05/22/08 05:57 PM »

Hi guys, is the Prodigy controller still "the one" to get?  Any particular model?  It's time to get a controller and I want to get the best bang for the buck, the budget is $150 MAX, preferably more like $120 though.

Thanks for any tips...
2003 VR Z71 GT5

AVid

« Reply #223 on: 05/23/08 03:17 AM »

In order..Prodigy...Prodigy P3...Tru Control. The major difference between them is the software they use. All are based on an accelerometer chip. There are even better controllers out there but they are expensive.

AVid

CornBurner

« Reply #224 on: 06/16/08 08:02 PM »

OK, just got my 2008 Avalanche LTZ.  Great truck!  Also picked up a new trailer to go with it!  26' with a slide out.  At the RV dealership, the installer put in the new Prodigy controller (as per wiring schematic) then tested everything and nothing...  I called the dealer and they didn't know what could be wrong.  The manual says that custom wiring may need to be done under the hood as well.  How vague can they be? ..  Hmmm.  So eventually the guy looking under the fuse black box under the hood sees a cable not connected.  He connects it to the bolt on the front of the black box.  Still nothing.  Then he notices a second cable disconnected.  He connects it and away we go.  The point is, that the LTZ comes with HD trailer package and is disconnected under the hood and they don't have the decency to tell you where the wires are hid.  (Under the black box)  :E:.  It wasn't a big deal, but if I had to pay a guy to hook it all up it would have been 100-200 bucks if he was honest.  The cables were there with a loop on the end of each.  Just needed 2 nuts to attach them to the bolts.  What a farce.  Any how.  great truck great trailer! 
2008 Avalanche LTZ - Blue Granite Metallic
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.