Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Keep CAFCNA Alive! Become a Supporting Member Today!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EVERYTHING Trailer Brake Controllers  (Read 250508 times)

rogerh

• Charter Member
  • I love that Pewter Chevy Avalanche!
Re: EVERYTHING Trailer Brake Controllers
« Reply #275 on: 07/05/12 09:31 PM »

I was reading this section the other night and found this tag in my 02 Avalanche. It was attached to the controller harness, fuse and 7 to 4 adapter.

Roger

PAPAW
2002 Pewter 1500 Z71, sun roof, neutral cloth interior, molded splach guards, Ventvisors, hardwired 400 watt inverter, Magellan GPS with laptop computer navigation.

sean

« Reply #276 on: 09/14/12 09:52 AM »

Is it possible to retrofit the factory brake controller to trucks not equipped with it from the factory?

mags

• wkmcmm@verizon.net
« Reply #277 on: 02/28/13 02:56 PM »

I have a 2011AV. and have been trying to figure out how to hook up a controller, and have found that the wires should be bundled under the dash. If anyone knows anything else about this would you please let us know. Thanks mags :B:
Mags

JohnnieMo

• CAFCNA 2017 Supporting Member
  • Calgary, Alberta
« Reply #278 on: 04/18/13 07:40 PM »

I have a 2011AV. and have been trying to figure out how to hook up a controller, and have found that the wires should be bundled under the dash. If anyone knows anything else about this would you please let us know. Thanks mags :B:

Watch this and all your questions will be answered:
http://images.etrailer.com/Merchant2/Graphics/00000001/video/install-brake-controller-2011-chevrolet-suburban-90885.webm
2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4x4 (Black)
          -5.3L V8, Magnacharger, Corsa Touring, Volant CAI, Custom Tune, EBC Brakes, Towing Upgrades, 339RWHP, 371RWTQ
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500HD
          -6.6L Duramax with Allison.  Has taken over the bulk of towing duties from the Avalanche
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT
1999 30th Anniversary Pontiac Trans Am (#1321)
          -Vortech Supercharger, 491RWHP, Countless Upgrades
2013 Tigé Z1
2005 Larson Senza 186 Bowrider

Z66Modder

• CAFCNA Regional Coordinator
  • Region V Area
Re: EVERYTHING Trailer Brake Controllers -Tekonsha Primus IQ
« Reply #279 on: 05/14/13 05:35 AM »

Tekonsha Primus IQ Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional
Tekonsha Plug-In Wiring Adapter for Electric Brake Controllers - GM

Anyone with experience with this model? Etrailer.com has it on sale for $109 including the GM harness adapter so you don't have to splice the two together, just plug and play; only towing a large tent trailer, nothing too heavy.

Also confused on the 2002 12V supply, is it just install the fuse or hook up the wire and the fuse? It's a Z66 so it has the  factory towing package.

Old Avalanches don't Die, They just Go Faster

omniplex

• CAFCNA 2004 Supporting Member
  • I love the Chevy Avalanche!
« Reply #280 on: 08/07/13 11:38 AM »

Don't know if this ever got answered.
I just put a P3 on my truck to pull a horse trailer.
I have the factory tow package and it came pre-wired for a brake controller.
Just had to replace the green block fuse to get 12V going to the rear.
'04 Z71 Summit White Bikini Cladded Born on 8/03, Chrome Bumpers, Chrome Side Step.
MODS: Amber DRLs, Full Time Daytime Running Lights.

thefuzz4

• I love the Chevy Avalanche
    • TheFuzz4.net
« Reply #281 on: 08/12/13 01:45 PM »

Prior to my 03 AV I had a 93 Dodge D350 dually and it had a brake controller in it.  One thing that I noticed was that everytime I would hit the brakes the controller would light up.  So now I have my awesome 03 AV and it came with a brake controller (so I thought bonus)  but however whenever I hit the brakes the controller does not light up.  One thing I'm wondering is that when I bought the AV in 07 it was a GM Certified Used vehicle and I wonder if the dealer had to disable the controller in order to certify the vehicle.  This hasn't been a huge concern for me up until I started reading some threads through the forum.  We now have a pop up camper with no trailer brakes but I want to utilize the 12V system from the trailer plug to the camper.  Not to run things in the camper but to charge a battery for me while the vehicle is running.  I would like to get the controller working again for in the future I would like to either put trailer brakes on my pop up or when it comes time for a newer pop up or a bigger ATV trailer I might want one with brakes.  Thank you all in advance for your help with this.
Jason
Webmaster of TheFuzz4.  net
Were going to be HUGE
2003 AV 1500 4x4
Mods Include
K&N Air Filter (No Cold Air Kit....Yet)
Amber DRL's
FTDRL
Hi All

Wazbro

« Reply #282 on: 08/12/13 02:26 PM »

Check the fuses under the hood there is a 30 amp and a 40 amp (1 for brakes and 1 for 12V).

From the factory there were dummy fuses in those spots, maybe the dealer returned them to factory.
2008 AV 6.0L LT3 Autoride Blue Granite Metallic

thefuzz4

• TheFuzz4.net
« Reply #283 on: 08/12/13 03:05 PM »

I'll give it a quick look when I head out after I get off of work.  If its missing, then off to the auto store I shall go.  :)  Thanks.
Jason
Were going to be HUGE
2003 AV 1500 4x4
Mods Include
Amber DRL's
FTDRL
Hi All

thefuzz4

• TheFuzz4.net
« Reply #284 on: 08/13/13 08:33 AM »

So in the Stud 1 there was the red plastic plug.  So I pulled that threw in the maxi fuse for it and then went and checked the brake controller.  Nada still no activity light on the controller.  So next step I guess is to crawl under the dash and check the wiring harness to see if its plugged into the socket on the firewall.  If this doesn't do it then I guess that maybe the controller is bad?  I'll also have to check the wires and make sure that its getting power.  To be continued lol.
Jason
Were going to be HUGE
2003 AV 1500 4x4
Mods Include
Amber DRL's
FTDRL
Hi All

wyotonka

• CAFCNA Cruise Coordinator
  • WyoTonka
« Reply #285 on: 08/13/13 08:44 AM »

TAG..... i have a controller that i bought last summer still not put in yet .... other mods were more important  :laugh:

2003 Avalanche
2010 Kia Koup sx
2015 Chrysler 300s
Tonka Truck Build

idbeast

« Reply #286 on: 12/08/13 05:50 PM »

I'm the new owner of a 08 Black Avy, I've been considering getting a Toy Hauler to take the Old Ladies and my other play toys, a couple of Harley dressers on longer trips with. As I've been reading posts on here that have given me considerable info on towing capabilities but have a couple questions as to the posts on the trailer brakes…
I read early in the thread that there was a GM brake controller for the 03 is there one for the 08? If not is the Prodigy still the better one to get?
My preference is a plug and play set up.
Thanks in advance for any help. Jim

08 Avalanche LT
07 Cobalt SS
09 Harley Ultra Classic
89 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix
90 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix
90 Pontiac Turbo STE

hollywood Av

• CAFCNA 2016 Premium Member
« Reply #287 on: 12/09/13 12:16 PM »

idbeast;
I have an '08 black Avy and I tow a 5K+lb (loaded) K-Z toy hauler for my Ultra and my wife's Chihuahua.  I have used a Tekonsha PRODIGY Brake Controller - Proportional for 4 years trouble free. I got mine from etrailer.com for around $100 four years ago.

On the 08 if you have the towing package the controller wires are under the dash but unless someone has already used one you will have to get the pigtail harness and wire it yourself. No biggie. I got mine with the controller. Once you attach the plug to the factory wires and the hot lead to the appropriate lug on the under-hood fuse box, it's pretty much plug & play.

Good luck with the tow hauler. I have a 3.73 rear with the towing package and ended up installing a supercharger for more pulling power.
1950 Chevy Coupe L6
1955 Bel Aire 265ci
1965 Chevy PU L6
1968 Chevelle SS 396ci
1970 Chevy 4dr Custom
1987 GMC PU
1994 Corvette
2004 Tahoe
2006 Silverado SS
2008 Avalanche 5.3 Supercharged

idbeast

« Reply #288 on: 12/24/13 11:33 AM »

Thank you for the reply Hollywood Av! I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was waiting for the message board to send me an notification to a response, as I forgot where I posted this! :E: How is the supercharger working out for you? I'm one of the former owners of PulleyBoys, we made aftermarket pulleys!
08 Avalanche LT
07 Cobalt SS
09 Harley Ultra Classic
89 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix
90 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix
90 Pontiac Turbo STE

JohnnieMo

• Calgary, Alberta
« Reply #289 on: 12/24/13 01:17 PM »

I did the same thing as Hollywood - added the blower for more grunt.  It is quite a joy now.  However you are giving up something to get something.  The Av is an okay tow rig, but awesome at so many other things.  The blower makes it a pretty good tow rig, but the amount of fuel you burn is mind boggling. 

I refused to leave my Avy for a diesel, so this was the best case scenario.  Man it pulls hard now.  But you may need to upgrade some other things.

I also picked up a Prodigy P2 and wired it in.  However the boat I bought (afterwards) has surge brakes, so the controller was not needed.  If you do wire one in, I highly suggest soldering the wires.  It's just safer that way. BTW - my boat on the trailer is 6500lbs.
2008 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4x4 (Black)
          -5.3L V8, Magnacharger, Corsa Touring, Volant CAI, Custom Tune, EBC Brakes, Towing Upgrades, 339RWHP, 371RWTQ
2006 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500HD
          -6.6L Duramax with Allison.  Has taken over the bulk of towing duties from the Avalanche
2009 Pontiac Vibe GT
1999 30th Anniversary Pontiac Trans Am (#1321)
          -Vortech Supercharger, 491RWHP, Countless Upgrades
2013 Tigé Z1
2005 Larson Senza 186 Bowrider

sean

« Reply #290 on: 10/24/14 10:17 AM »

The harness label on my 2010 makes reference to a light blue wire with a white stripe, but no such wire exists.  There is, however, a green wire, that the diagram doesn't reference.  UGH.

igotzzoom

• 2004 Avalanche Z71 4x4
« Reply #291 on: 01/16/17 12:56 PM »

I don't know if this is the right category to post this in or not, but I'm looking for ideas for a clean, low-profile installation of a trailer brake controller in my '04. Unfortunately, an integrated controller was never offered on the GMT800s like it was on the 900s. But there are several cubby holes on the dash that I think I could use. One is the slot between the two 12v outlets, and the other is the squarish cubby to the right of the radio and HVAC controls. My only concern with that one is it's a bit of a reach across the dash.

I'm not opposed to cutting into the dash panel as long as it doesn't look like a hack job. But I'd rather utilize the space I have. I saw one photo where someone put the controller in the square cubby. I'm leaning toward utilizing the slot between the 12v outlets, or cutting out a space just above it. Any photos, experiences or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks. 

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #292 on: 01/17/17 12:09 AM »

igotzzoom What brake controller are you thinking about.   ???
2003 2500

igotzzoom

• 2004 Avalanche Z71 4x4
« Reply #293 on: 01/17/17 11:54 AM »

Looking at the Tekonsha Prodigy P3. It's one of the priciest, but seems to get consistently positive reviews. Also, as a follow-up to my last post, I can reach the square cubby to the right of the stereo and HVAC controls fine. I think that would be my optimal/preferred location. Not sure if the Prodigy will fit in that space. I don't mind if it protrudes a little.

MS03 2500

• CAFCNA 2017 Premium Member
« Reply #294 on: 01/17/17 08:27 PM »

Just a FYI the p2 and p3 have a lever under them that you need to be to get to,
2003 2500

Randy

• Charter Member
  • I charge more than a buck$
« Reply #295 on: 01/17/17 08:49 PM »

I've been looking at this Hopkins controller mainly because you can mount the main unit down and out of the way and the slide switch close to you maybe next to the console so you don't have to reach for it and you could put the display in the cubby.

It's also allot cheaper and has good reviews.. Anybody have this one or used it?

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Hopkins/HM47297.html
02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N Intake, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP

igotzzoom

• 2004 Avalanche Z71 4x4
« Reply #296 on: 01/18/17 04:28 PM »

I've been looking at this Hopkins controller mainly because you can mount the main unit down and out of the way and the slide switch close to you maybe next to the console so you don't have to reach for it and you could put the display in the cubby.

It's also allot cheaper and has good reviews.. Anybody have this one or used it?

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Hopkins/HM47297.html

I think this may be the one I saw on another thread somewhere on this forum that was mounted in the dash cubby. I've also wondered if the OE GMT900 controller could be put in the cubby, but realized there was no display for the gain. I wish someone made a slick integrated plug & play module to fit the GMT800 cubby hole.

igotzzoom

• 2004 Avalanche Z71 4x4
« Reply #297 on: 01/18/17 04:55 PM »

I found the thread that had the install I found. It's from user RaeDar. Is he still active on this forum?

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,46922.0.html

Randy

• Charter Member
  • I charge more than a buck$
« Reply #298 on: 01/18/17 06:40 PM »

I found the thread that had the install I found. It's from user RaeDar. Is he still active on this forum?

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,46922.0.html

No defiantly not the same one, The Hopkins slide switch and display are separate from the controller. You could mount the brake slide switch close to you so you don't have to reach across the truck for it. The display could be mounted on the dash, in the Cubby, on the console etc..
02 2500 Summit White-Loaded, Heated Leather Seats, Sunroof, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 Navigation System with back-up cam, front cam and Blue Tooth. Nelson Tune, UPD/K&N Intake, Dual Magnaflow SS Mufflers and 3" Tailpipes, Powermaster 225 Amp Alternator, Dual Optima Batteries, Full Traction 6" Lift with 305/70/17 Goodyear MT/R's and SSBrakes, Calipers and Rotors, E-Z Down Tail Gate.

More to follow...

22' Velocity Boat powered by 502 BB and Stage III Procharger 750+HP

FtCAV

• Charter Member
« Reply #299 on: 04/02/17 04:29 PM »

I bought a Primus IQ 90160 controller and the Tekonsha 3015-P harness. Super easy plug and play for my 2004 Z71.

There was one funny thing when I plugged the harness into the block under the dash: there was already a red wire attached to the upper right 'blade' in the block. I pulled it off, figuring it was something to do with the original trailer wiring. Well, that isn't the case.

I have a Viper remote start and the red wire has something to do with the control for it. I started the truck with the Viper but couldn't shut the engine off with the brake pedal (no key in ignition) or with the key in the ignition. The kill switch when opening the hood stopped the engine.

I started the engine again with the Viper and this time touched the previously disconnected red wire to the red wire on the controller harness. I just kind of forced the connector for the Viper wire into the controller harness red wire hole. (I hope that made sense). This time all the Viper controls worked correctly.

Do you think I can splice the Viper red wire to the controller red wire? Or maybe the better question is do you think I'll damage something it I try it?

Thanks for thinking about it.
2004 Dark Gray Metallic Z-71
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 24 queries.