• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Power mirror help

koda1789

I've got a 2004 with power folding mirrors.
The driver side mirror stoped working a couple of weeks ago however the passenger one still works fine.
The turn signal in the driver side one does still work though, just not the power (either the mirror or the ability to fold).
I got a replacement mirror off of Ebay and installed it today and it didn't fix the problem.
Any ideas what's wrong?  Are their fuses that work the power operation of each mirror?  I look at the manual and couldn't see that there was.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have power to your switches?
I'd start there adn work my way through the circuits....

Maybe someone can post a wiring diagram fro you

yes, all switches work on door cluster; power windows (front and back), power locks, pass side power mirror.
The only thing not working is the driver side power mirror, and neither of them will fold in.
Also the turn signal in the driver mirror is working.

:welcome: to the club? :wave:

The power mirror system consists of the following components:

The driver door module -- Class 2 module with integrated switches and requires programming when replaced

The passenger door module -- Class 2 module with integrated switches, requires programming when replaced and also contains the RFA receiver

The power mirror direction switch --Integrated into DDM and is a 4 position momentary switch that provides a signal input to the DDM for up, down, left/extend and right/retract with a mirror switch activation

The mirror select switch -- Integrated into DDM and is a 3 position switch that allows the operator to select the left or right mirror and also a neutral/fold position

The left outside power mirror -- Contains both the vertical and horizontal mirror motors and is serviced as a complete mirror assembly

The right outside power mirror -- Contains both the vertical and horizontal mirror motors and is serviced as a complete mirror assembly

The body control module -- Class 2 module that requires programming when replaced, serves as the power mode master and is the main message handler

The DDM 10A fuse -- Located in the I/P fuse block and is hot at all times
The PDM 10A fuse -- Located in the I/P fuse block and is hot at all times

The memory switch, if equipped with memory mirrors -- Supplied power by the DDM and provides a voltage signal to the DDM upon a switch activation

The horizontal and vertical position sensors, if equipped with memory mirrors -- Supplied a 5 volt and low reference by the DDM/PDM and provide a variable voltage signal to the DDM/PDM that is proportional to mirror position

The park neutral position switch, if equipped with memory mirrors -- Provides transmission gear selection information to the PCM and is used for memory recall and mirror tilt in reverse functions

The powertrain control module, if equipped with memory mirrors -- Class 2 module that requires programming when replaced and provides Class 2 message indicating transmission gear selection

The driver Information Center (DIC), if equipped with memory mirrors -- Part of the instrument cluster which is a Class 2 module that requires programming when replaced and is used to personalize the memory recall and mirror tilt in reverse functions

Fold motor in each of the outside mirrors, if equipped with power fold mirrors -- Provides extend and retract movements of the mirror and is serviced as a complete mirror assembly

Attachments

• DDM.JPG
    DDM.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 120
Thanks for the description and the scematic.
I checked the DDM fuse and it was ok, i'm guessing if that's not it either the switch is dirty or just bad.
Any other ideas before I tear the door panel apart again?

If I end up having to replace the DDM the description above says it requires reporgraming, I'm assuming that the dealer has to do this?

Thanks.

The DDM has 2 +12v supplies, check to be sure it has both.

Attachments

• 05DDM power.JPG
    05DDM power.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 115
Have you treid to dis-connect the mirror from the door module and then jump the motor to the mirror directly. By doing this you can start to isolate the problem. Helped Chevy Fan Germany with his, Found out the motor in the mirror was bad itself.

Sam

ItsStopher said:
The DDM has 2 +12v supplies, check to be sure it has both.

The 2nd +12v is a circuit breaker.  It doesn't look like there's a way to visually tell if it's bad.  I've never had to replace one of these, is it common for them to go bad?

SamHouseIII I'm not sure how to do this, can you explain in greater detail?

Thanks!

Check on the back of the DDM for 12v on both orange wires. You can pull the CB and measure it with a multimeter, it should read 0 ohms (or really close to zero, but this does not put a load on it to see if it is failing)

If you pull the mirror off from the AVA, you can jump the mtor directly to see if it will work. If it works then the problem lays back down into the DDM or the BCM or a wire/pin on the connector or the switch.

Sam

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,63104.0.html

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,69109.0.html

The links should help out

Sam

Thanks for all the info.  My power mirrors fold and readjust when unfolding, so I hope its just the switch.

Back