• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Do you have Av problems?

aediaz

Hi everybody:
  I read in this section of the club that some members have problems with their Av's. What percent of Av owners have problems? Now, I wonder if the problem is the Av itself or is a GM Chevrolet problem? For example, I read about members who have problems with their transmission, but people with the Chevy Silverado has the same problem?

I have a 02' Av with 65,000 miles and so far I don't have any major issues(knock wood) with my truck. I only had to replace the normal, brakes, oil, etc.

I would like to hear your thoughts!

The only problem I have had soo far is the front end noise..it turned out to be both the intermediate steering shaft and the front body mount...it went away for a couple of months..but now it is back

Look in each section...

Someone made a poll on the very subject you ask....

but remember...peeps without problems sometimes do not look in this section...

ygmn said:
Look in each section...

Someone made a poll on the very subject you ask....

but remember...peeps without problems sometimes do not look in this section...
Thanks!

Great trucks all in all, but like every other model in the world, some have issue's, I am a gm tech so all i can really speak for is gm's,  but they all have there "issue" set, weather its ball joints on s-10's, front rotors on sunfires, noisy power steering pumps on 3.8's, elec. issues on trailblazers, enovys and bravada's,  oil consumption on trackers, noisy rear diffs on astro vans, leaking evap cores on venture vans or montana vans, , water leaks on cavaliers, dead battery's on colbalts, engine typewriter noise on duramax's, evap codes on vibe's, stinky exhaust on vibes, inner tie rod ends on uplanders, intermediate steering shafts on uplanders ...i might be rambling abit..lol,  but remember you only hear about the problems...

Every vehicle type/ model in the world has some issues... Everyone outsources parts and pieces... That's bound to create issues from time to time...
Design cahnges and corrections are made after a vehicle is in production
Every manufacturer deals with recalls and warranty issues

With the trucks I've had... that's 5... I've had two "major" issues.
the 02 smoked on start up and burned oil like crazy... I had them replace the valve seals (under warranty) and it never had another problem
the 03 that my Mrs is driving now had the torque converter blow up (again fixed under warranty)
cladding fades, (usually minor) leaks...

Overall, I'm EXTREMELY SATISFIED.
my next trade WILL be an Avalanche

Had to replace cv boots on front axles at 45,000 miles and transfer case went out at 40,000 miles.

in 9 years only u joint

ok... I will break mine down by year.  my 02...rear park brake shoes was cutting rotors...76000 miles, wheel hub went out 35 miles from home...82000 mile, u joint squeaking, 85,000 miles, front shocks leaking, 86,000, and ac would cut out when idling (searched and many said fan clutch was at fault...never attempted to replace...88,000 had some kind of annoying humming noise (right after I had it appraised to trade in for an 07)  never found the source (wonder why)

traded for my 04:
72,000 miles...code P0442...evap purge control faulty, 75,000 rear brakes worn down

traded for my 08:
27,000 passenger door lock intermittant

2005 LT-Z71, 23,000 miles; original owner. No major problems, just annoyances; right front axle seal has been wet (not dripping)since new, 2-3 shift clunk (intermittent), slight axle whine since new @70mph (4:10 gears), bed panel leaked along rear window (corrected that by installing custom weather strip). From my extensive reasearch these are common problems with the Avalanche.

Around 45K, I had a front end clunk that would mostly happen when making 90 degree or greater turns.  Took it to two different dealers, neither were able to find or correct the problem.  One dealer didn't really even acknowledge the problem.  Either I've become numb to it or it doesn't happen any more.

Just over 65K, the tailgate latch assembly needed to be replaced.

71K, rear transfer case seal bad.  Rear brakes almost worn down to squealers.  Transmission fluid looks dull, even though not due to be replaced until 100K.

71K, engine check light, faulty SVG solenoid.

Nothing broke within warranty period.  Ugh.

I'll start off by saying I love m y avalanche!  But in the last 2 months I have had to get 2 new tires,  upper and lower balljoints on both sides,  a leaking oil gasket, a leaking power steering gasket.  So to say the least ive been eating KD  as my truck comes first and she needed some loving lol  :E:  but even with all that I would never trade it off because I love it,  now that Ya saying something

Dupont 24 said:
Hi everybody:
  I read in this section of the club that some members have problems with their Av's. What percent of Av owners have problems? Now, I wonder if the problem is the Av itself or is a GM Chevrolet problem? For example, I read about members who have problems with their transmission, but people with the Chevy Silverado has the same problem?

I have a 02' Av with 65,000 miles and so far I don't have any major issues(knock wood) with my truck. I only had to replace the normal, brakes, oil, etc.

I would like to hear your thoughts!

I have only 13,800 miles on my 2011 and started hearing a small exhaust leak underneath. I crawled under today and noticed the stock muffler has a pinhole leak at a seam. Nothing to cause any immediate concern but will change out to a magnaflow soon. Does the magnaflow sound good or is their a better choice? Want a deep tone but nothing radical.

bdatlanta said:
I have only 13,800 miles on my 2011 and started hearing a small exhaust leak underneath. I crawled under today and noticed the stock muffler has a pinhole leak at a seam. Nothing to cause any immediate concern but will change out to a magnaflow soon. Does the magnaflow sound good or is their a better choice? Want a deep tone but nothing radical.

That pinhole might be a condensation drain hole.

You should not hear an exhaust leak from that pinhole. If you still hear an exhaust leak then the problem is elsewhere. Take a couple of shop towels and use them in your hand to protect against heat and block the tailpipe momentarily and if you have exhaust leak then you should hear it. may need to be under and have friend block exhaust a couple of times. At idle is fine, no need to rev engine when doing this.

raiderron said:
You should not hear an exhaust leak from that pinhole. If you still hear an exhaust leak then the problem is elsewhere. Take a couple of shop towels and use them in your hand to protect against heat and block the tailpipe momentarily and if you have exhaust leak then you should hear it. may need to be under and have friend block exhaust a couple of times. At idle is fine, no need to rev engine when doing this.
I'll get back under there and do as you suggest. THANKS!

Back