• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

All your Fuel Filter questions answered here

gpfahler

Charter Member
SM 2003
Anyone have opinions on fuel filters? I was wondering if there is an advantage to K&N fuel filters vs the stock one. How many miles before changing filters??

Gary

I just replaced mine with a stock one. I believe they recommend a replacement after every 15k.

What is the cost of the GM filter. If I am not mistaken the filter is located under the driver/passenger doors near the side between the fuel tank and the filler. Is there an advantage to a KN filter??

Gary

I am still looking for advise on the fuel filter.. Is it advisable to go with a KN or stick with the stock one. Do you need to change them at 15K??

Gary

Aegis

That is a good question - my dealer told me the 15K rule - I looked through the forum and didn't find the answer either...

I am going to the dealer to get a couple of problems fixed in the AM, and at 17,500 miles I figured I will get it changed while they have it up in the air.

???On the Av 1500, where is the fuel filter located, and how do you replace it? I am hoping someone can answer my question, so I don't have to pay the dealer to do it.

Guys, if it is like my 2000 Z71 and 2001 yukon it is on the inside of the frame about halfway down the vehicle on the drivers side.
You have to lay down and slide under truck and look on the inside of the frame railing. It is mounted on the frame. You have a strap holding it on. The last time i changed one I undid the steel fittings and slid the old one out and slid the new one in and hooked it back up.
Kind of a pain due to the gas leaking out. If you talk to you service rep. or someone on here may know which fuse to pull you can pull fuse to turn pump off and crank engine and it will empty the fuel line. Will still have a little in it though. Definetly have to be careful with gas falling on you or getting in your eyes.
Takes about 15 minutes. Last time i did it i pulled the fuse and it helped alot. Just don't remember which one.
I will look after while and see if i recognize it. Hopefully labeled fuel pump.
Wish i had a lift built in my garage >:D
zeeya

Thanks Zeeya!
I will see about some plugs to pop in the fuel line while I am popping the new filter in place. Sounds like fun. :rolleyes:

Ahhnuld,
I changed my when I was around 17K miles. Just what Zeeya said. It is inside the frame rail on drivers side. Another thing to do is remove the gas cap to releave the pressure.

According to the OM your good for another 8,000 miles,
but I'm sure it couldn't hurt to change it now.

;DI am going in to the chevy house in the morning to get #3 panel replaced, drip rail on drivers side replaced and also the rear cladding panel on the drivers side rear door replaced. I am at 25000 miles so i think i will get them to change the fuel filter and i will get which fuse to pull for you guys.
Good to have a big old towel handy that you don't want to keep so that when you break the nuts you can let it soak up what ever is left.
will post back tomorrow night on fuse..............
Going to leave the HPP3 programmed and let him check it out on his whatchamacallit and see what it says. Don't recommend doing this at all dealerships. My service manager runs a drag strip and he has no problems with the HPP3. I have my rev limiter set at 5900 and he says that is ok. He did not like the idea of the 6-6100 setting though so i'll leave it there.
Anyone that has the HPP3 have you noticed any pinging at wot even though you have it set on 87 power tuning. I am deaf..........Ha Ha, my kids keep telling me there hear something at about 4500 rpm and then it goes away????????
zeeya

Zeeya do you go to SERVICE Chevrolet?

I hear good things about them....

Ahhnuld said:
Hey George,
Any tips on how to keep the gas from dumping on my head? :C:

Yes I try to use a old plastic cup to catch most of the fuel that comes out. Have not got it on my head, but I have had it all over my arm when trying to switch from the wrench to the cup.

YGMN, I have been using Musson Patout in New Iberia for about the last 5 years, or should i say the last 5 vehicles and they have treated me great. Out of those 5 i only bought 2 through that dealership, but the service manager has no problem servicing them from other dealerships.
My regular mechanic was not in today so they only got a few things done. Will go back in the morning and check on the fuse for fuel pump. I had to explaing to them how the cladding attached to the vehicle. This is the first that they have had to replace.

Hernz Av said:
Yes I try to use a old plastic cup to catch most of the fuel that comes out. Have not got it on my head, but I have had it all over my arm when trying to switch from the wrench to the cup.
Anyone who hasn't done this before, make sure that you don't use a styrafoam cuo or you will be in for a messy surprise!

on my old k-5s there was a frame mounted fuel filter, and now that i have 25000 miles, i am thinking of finding the one on tha avalanche, and changing it............before i ..have too.

has anybody changed theirs, as a maintenance item yet???

ps, where is it, anybody got a pic?

yeah i would be interested in changing my fuel filter as well...how much do fuel filters usually run? are they hard to change?

Back