• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

One Mod Fixes Another!

jasgot

Charter Member
The first thing I did when I got my AVY was run the Hypertech PPIII on it. I love it.

When I installed the K&N FIPK (junk), I noticed that when I was going for gold, the engine would cough at 6000rpm just prior to shifting. It did not do this before the FIPK.

I hated the cabin resonance while driving the truck with the K&N, so I removed the K&N and installed the UDP (I love it), this fixed the cabin resonance, but did not fix the coughing at 6000rpm.

I presume the coughing I see at 6000rpm is too much air for the amount of fuel.

Today I performed the Throttle Voltage mod, (went to 4.68 volts), although I did not experience any 'seat of my pants' improvement, the coughing at 6000rpm has gone away!

I guess I am now getting enough fuel for all the air the new intakes allow through.

I hope my observation is helpful to some of you...

That coughing may have been you hitting the rev limit. What did you change it to with the hypertech? You could have also changed the shift point 1 or 2 mph to fix.
The throttle body mod opens the throttle plate more, allowing more air in, not sure if it changes fuel ratio.

Back