• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

dreaded dead battery problem

Raging Rio

Happened to me to this morning, just like it has happened to many others.  Battery was completely dead.  AAA got it jumped for me and I headed to work.  I noticed when I backed in to my parking space, my driver's side mirror was going nutz trying to keep turning down.  I suspect that's probably what drained it last night.  I messed with the controls and it stopped....i did the mirror syncro method, but I doubt that will do anything.....

will take it to the dealer in the next few days.....in the meantime, I am ordering a dual battery kit..... :needhug:

Take it in for recall# 07007 but be careful the dealership(Champion Chevy in Houston) did this upgrade for me while fixing my "service suspension system" problem(the part just came in today) and now my TPMS doesn't work.  It did it manually and the tire pressures come up until I shut the truck off and then on the next start up all I get are dashes.  The service manager told me I had to drive 30mph down a one-way street with my left eye closed and it would work but we all know better because we read the owners manual and they dont.  I'm taking it in for my suspension system problem and for the tech. to fix my TPMS problem tommorrow.  I will let everyone know if this fixes my 07 LTZ.

sorry to hear that.....I hope not to experience the same issue.  From what I read in a few other of the battery threads, it appears most have not had any probs after.

Stalzd,
The issue with your TPS not working is a simple one, basically the tech that performed the update did not finish it completely.

I also experienced the dead battery problem after the truck sat unused for 5 days. The dealership performed the update to the BCM and when they went to charge the battery it would not hold a charge so they replaced the battery as well. Since then I have not had any problems and the truck sat for 10 days while I was on vacation.

Raging Rio said:
Happened to me to this morning, just like it has happened to many others.  Battery was completely dead.  AAA got it jumped for me and I headed to work.  I noticed when I backed in to my parking space, my driver's side mirror was going nutz trying to keep turning down.  I suspect that's probably what drained it last night.  I messed with the controls and it stopped....i did the mirror syncro method, but I doubt that will do anything.....

will take it to the dealer in the next few days.....in the meantime, I am ordering a dual battery kit..... :needhug:

Rio, that's exactly what I did, so that even IF the stock battery goes dead again, I've got a back-up I know will work. Very wise investment. Good luck, getting the recall done. I haven't had another issue with it since, so take it in and let them handle that for you and you should be in good shape if it's done correctly.

AVcop778 said:
Rio, that's exactly what I did, so that even IF the stock battery goes dead again, I've got a back-up I know will work. Very wise investment. Good luck, getting the recall done. I haven't had another issue with it since, so take it in and let them handle that for you and you should be in good shape if it's done correctly.

AVcop, did you do the painless or the wrangler?  the wrangler is nice being all inclusive....but the price...eeek....where did you mount the switch?  i'm a little unsure of where to put it....

I chose the Painless system. I read a lot of posts from other members like I CHNGE and others who have done this. I spent the extra $$ and got the weather proof kit. I mounted the switch...how bout I post a pic on here so you can see where I'm talking about. Red and green lights are to the left of the switch mounted vertically. Driver side console is where I put mine. Also, the front kick panel under the steering wheel would be a good place to mount a switch if you like that spot. I have drained my stock battery more than a few times screwing with my head unit and that Optima yellow top saved my butt. This is something I recommend to everyone. 

Attachments

• Z1-49.JPG
    Z1-49.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,036
AVcop778 said:
I chose the Painless system. I read a lot of posts from other members like I CHNGE and others who have done this. I spent the extra $$ and got the weather proof kit. I mounted the switch...how bout I post a pic on here so you can see where I'm talking about. Red and green lights are to the left of the switch mounted vertically. Driver side console is where I put mine. Also, the front kick panel under the steering wheel would be a good place to mount a switch if you like that spot. I have drained my stock battery more than a few times screwing with my head unit and that Optima yellow top saved my butt. This is something I recommend to everyone.?

that seems like a decent spot....how far does the switch stick out?  have you ever knocked it to the reserve battery by accident?  I'm 6'3" and afraid I might snag it there.....i was almost thinking of mounting it inside the center console.....

It doesn't stick out that far. I've never knocked it on by mistake. Inside the console would be good, or even on that flat part of the console under the lid.

Attachments

• console pic.JPG
    console pic.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,024
AVcop778 said:
It doesn't stick out that far. I've never knocked it on by mistake. Inside the console would be good, or even on that flat part of the console under the lid.

thanks
headbang.gif

Raging Rio said:
Happened to me to this morning, just like it has happened to many others.? Battery was completely dead.? AAA got it jumped for me and I headed to work.? I noticed when I backed in to my parking space, my driver's side mirror was going nutz trying to keep turning down.? I suspect that's probably what drained it last night.? I messed with the controls and it stopped....i did the mirror syncro method, but I doubt that will do anything.....

The mirrors turning down is a setting which can be turned on or off by you on the instrument panel.  I believe it is a setting that say s"parking mirrors" or something to that effect.  When you put the truck in reverse they turn down to see the curb area or what you may run over while you back up.  I don't know if this has anything to do with the battery issue.  I was just at the dealer for ither issues and they did the battery drain update, which I did not have an issue with.

So i got the update friday, 5/18.  Went out to the truck this morning......completely dead again!  :mad:

now I am getting quite pissed off with this...so am I the only one who had the dead battery prob come back after receiving the e-85 update?

so I got the truck back today.....they ran the update again and replaced the battery.....for whatever reason I had to use the TPMS relearn function this time.....i didn't have to the first time, so maybe they didn't run the update correctly the first time?  not sure, only time will tell.....

Raging Rio said:
that seems like a decent spot....how far does the switch stick out?  have you ever knocked it to the reserve battery by accident?  I'm 6'3" and afraid I might snag it there.....i was almost thinking of mounting it inside the center console.....

I made a small aluminum bracket to mount some switches on under the lip of the dash.

switch bracket

AVcop778 said:
I chose the Painless system. I read a lot of posts from other members like I CHNGE and others who have done this. I spent the extra $$ and got the weather proof kit. I mounted the switch...how bout I post a pic on here so you can see where I'm talking about. Red and green lights are to the left of the switch mounted vertically. Driver side console is where I put mine. Also, the front kick panel under the steering wheel would be a good place to mount a switch if you like that spot. I have drained my stock battery more than a few times screwing with my head unit and that Optima yellow top saved my butt. This is something I recommend to everyone. 
Hi AVcop, keeping your powder dry I hope.  Where do I get that switch system to switch batteries. 2 way radio's suck juice sometimes. Need two batteries.

Check out this link for sumittracing. That's where I got mine.

My dumba$$ forgot to add the link  :E: :E: :E:
Here it is
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&searchinresults=false&y=18&N=+115&Ntt=painless+dual+battery+kit&x=29

I modified my previous post to add the link I was talking about.

Went to go for a ride in the avy on this beautiful Fathers day and guess what? The dreaded dead battery. there is one good thing about this. My friend that owns the wrecker company is making some extra cash towing my 07 suburban and my 07 suburban.

Back