• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

MODs Vs. Warranty?

TXAVy

SM 2003
Hey all,

I was curious how many of the mods discussed here would be things that might void your warranty if you ended up in a dealership with a picky mechanic.

Just putting forth a wild guess I'd have to imagine the "no-no's" as far as The General is concerned would be the Whipple (SC), Suspension Lifts, and of course Nitrous.

But what about Exhaust Mods (headers, duals, cut-outs), Intake Mods (FIPK), Oversize Tires, Body Lifts, Lighting Mods (Bright/Low both on, Amber DRLs), Upgraded Ignition/Spark Plugs, or Performance Computers (HPP, etc.).

Performing which of these would you consider passing the "point of no return" as far as warranty goes?

TXAVy, it is all relative - I went to my dealer yesterday to see if they would change my gear ratio, in their shop, with Chevy parts - The service manager had a heart attack, kept mubling about voiding the warranty, new PCM and the end of civilization, in that order.

On the otherhand, there are dealers who will install superchargers, lifts and darn near anything else and not sweat it.

Bottom line is a K&N cannot be used as an excuse to not fix a leaking midgate, they have to prove that the bolt on caused the problem. ;D

When I brought My truck in for the new front Differential under warranty...., I had the Headers, Cat Back, TBS Spacer, Magnacore wires, Volant Intake, and Hypertec on it...., Dealer had No Problem with any of it.., in fact wanted to know what was next ;D I said Whipple Charger.., lol..., the guys in the service shop where like Cool.., We cant wait to see it, and the Service Manager to........ I do know the Owner of the Dealership.., We raced cars together, and are good friends.., but he wasn't even there that week, and I did not tell Him I was bringing My truck in for Warranty service....... So it all depends on the Dealership.........

Thanks all for the replies. That all makes sense and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that most warranty sensative mods were probably out of my price range anyway.

With all the good/bad comments about dealerships, does anyone have any experience with dealerships in the North Dallas area? Good or Bad comments are both useful. THANKS!

Back