Home Resources Forums Nationals Meets Store
09/18/14 10:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club of North America

Become a Supporting Member

Visit the CAFCNA General Store

Home   Help Search Login Register Bookmark  
Advertisement
Put your advertisement image here...

Advertisement

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EVERYTHING GM Trailer Wiring Harness hook up wiring etc  (Read 119979 times)
MI_99XPL
Charter Member

'07 Graystone Metallic 4x4, sold '02 Pewter Z71

Awards
« on: 07/27/02 02:41 PM »

Does anybody know which color wires going into the trailer taillight connector are for the brake lights?  I'm trying to tap into them to run additional brake lights on my AV.  4th brake lights if you will.  I need to find out the brake light power and the ground.

Thanks
MI 99XPL

07 Chevrolet Avalanche LS 4x4
OEM center console install, basic interior, OEM multi CD w/USB install, Diablo Sport Trinity, K&N air filter, Window visors, Color matched door handles, f/r black bowties.  And the modding has begun!!

'02 Chevrolet Avalanche Z-71 (sold)
vf454

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: 07/27/02 05:23 PM »

I looked at mine and if you look behind the trailer plug they are labeled as to what they are.

SOM,Amber Reverse Lights,Red Light Hitch Cover,Red Puddle lights, vent shades, full time drls on a switch, 5.6 inch lcd , Playstation II, Amber strobes in the DRL housing, Red strobes in reverse lights, red lic. plate lights,885 fogs,full time drls, leaky midgate,  
MI_99XPL
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #2 on: 07/28/02 03:51 AM »

Where were you looking?  I had the black corrgauted plastic wrap off, the gray cover off, and I couldn't find the labels.  Did you take off your housing?  Or are you refering to the large plug that converts 7 wires to 4 wires?  (I lost mine and had to buy a aftermarket one at the auto store)

Thanks
MI 99XPL
« Last Edit: 07/28/02 03:52 AM by MI_99XPL » Logged

OEM center console install, basic interior, OEM multi CD w/USB install, Diablo Sport Trinity, K&N air filter, Window visors, Color matched door handles, f/r black bowties.  And the modding has begun!!

black_magic

Back in Black!

Awards
« Reply #3 on: 07/28/02 04:06 AM »

I was under mine yesterday and noticed a white wrap around the plastic loom just before the back of the plug.  On this wrap is discriptions of the wire colors and what they operate.  It was kinda like a piece of tape about an inch an a half wide.

Go ahead, buy a Prius....  I WANT YOUR GAS!

2010 LTZ:  Black on Black MODS: Blacked out bowties, 2.5/1.5" Leveled, 18x9 Ultra Mavericks & 285/65/18 Nitto Terrragrapplers
2005 LT3:  SOLD
2002 Z66:  SOLD
HBear

"Fear one thing only, Fear the Djinn"

Awards
« Reply #4 on: 07/28/02 04:25 AM »

Check out page 4-71 of your manual.
« Last Edit: 07/28/02 04:36 AM by bfron » Logged

"Fear one thing only, Fear the Djinn" joined Feb 2002
2002 Pewter 1500 Z-71 AV, Born 08/01,Reading, Pa.
NASCAR Tony Stewart #20 Hitchcover / 2002 WC Champion
Catch-All Mats
WeatherTech Flectors,Stone & Bug Deflector
Amber DRL's
Billet Fuel Door
K&N Filter, UPD FIPK
FlowMaster 40
MI_99XPL
Charter Member

Awards
« Reply #5 on: 07/28/02 04:54 AM »

OK, I think I have it.  Thanks for your help everyone!

MI 99XPL

vf454

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: 07/28/02 05:02 AM »

sorry i wasn't more specific. i had a problem with the reciever brake light flashing with the right directional. it just plugged in using my 7 to 4 wire reducer.

SOM,Amber Reverse Lights,Red Light Hitch Cover,Red Puddle lights, vent shades, full time drls on a switch, 5.6 inch lcd , Playstation II, Amber strobes in the DRL housing, Red strobes in reverse lights, red lic. plate lights,885 fogs,full time drls, leaky midgate,  
shafman1
« Reply #7 on: 07/30/02 05:14 PM »

Another way to check for any future problems is too set your volt meter to D.C. volts.  Touch the red lead to one terminal at a time while leaving the black lead on a good ground.  This way you can have  a helper hit the brakes, etc.  while you check to see if you are getting power at the meter.  Just make sure to be careful not to short out anything so you don't blow a fuse.  This way, you don't have to worry if you don't have the wiring diagram.   Cheesy
Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #8 on: 12/27/02 01:21 PM »

Need some help if anyone can.  I have a Prodigy and older GM <-> Prodigy wire harness.  My understanding is that GM just swapped a couple of the wires.  So rather than order a new one I'd like to just swap the wires on my current setup.

Currently plug looks like this when looking from the wire side:

[Blue ] [Empty]
[Empty]
[ Red ]

Can anyone with an 03 GM wire harness post what it looks like now?

Guess I wasn't clear, the wires into GM plug have changed around.  The wires are the same but where they go in the plug is different on the 2003's.  All the wire harness makers are coming up with new ones for the 2003's.  I'm just avoiding going out and spending $10 on a new one if my old one will workout.  The layout I posted is how the wires looked for the old setup, what I need is somebody with an 03 to look at their wire harness to see where the wires go now. I think the blue wire is the one the moved on the plug.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 12/28/02 08:10 AM by Y-Guy » Logged
tomsr
CAFCNA 2003 Supporting Member

I love the Chevy Avalanche!

Awards
« Reply #9 on: 12/27/02 01:46 PM »

Don't know exactly what you are asking, but brake controls have a standard wiring. White is ground-always when dealing with trailers, blue to the trailer brakes, black is 12vt pos., red is the interrupted side of the brake lite switch.
Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #10 on: 12/28/02 12:24 PM »

Ran to my dealer they let me look at the plug and write down the wire codes and placements, was able to wire things up.  Running tests to make sure all is right, but so far so good.  I'll put info on my website for future reference.
medicboot
« Reply #11 on: 04/02/03 05:26 AM »

Just made the change today. To go from an 02 harness to an 03 harness just swap the lt blue and brown wires.  You will have to take out the blue clip and pull the tabs back to get the wires out.  Just move the two wires around and youre done.  Works great.
Penguin

We are a 2 AV family now!

Awards
« Reply #12 on: 04/02/03 05:42 AM »

I was researching this topic a bit yesterday. There is a good dialogue on electric brake controllers and the 2002 / 2003 swap of two wires. GM doesnt give the harness gratas in 2003 vehicles, so make sure you have the right harness for your vehicle. 2002 and 2003 are NOT the same.

Some one should be able to point out the discussion link, but I just searched on electric brake and found it in the search function.

His Av: 03 Forest Green - Silverstars, Amber DRL's, 885's, Full Time DRL's, All 4 hi, Mag Lite, Patriotic Trim, Pwr Ext Mirrors, Jotto Cargo Slide, Stab Bar, Elec Brk Ctrl, TXAVy Bed Rack. Wanted....Mod$$
Her Av: 02 Sunset Orange - Silverstars, Amber DRL's, 885's, Pwr Ext Mirrors, Stab Bar, Elec Brk Ctrl, Full Time Drl's, Mag Lite, Patriotic trim, Jotto Cargo Slide... and many more to go when She let's me! Smiley
jtye01

Fell in love when I saw the concept truck in 2000

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: 04/14/03 11:38 PM »

I haven't seen the answer to this stupid question....  Which socket does the wiring harness go in?  I've got the cable, I know where the socket's are up on the firewall to the left of the brake pedal but there appears to be 3 sockets that the plug COULD fit into.  2 up high and 1 down low.  Since it's tucked up high I really can't tell which one it is SUPPOSED to fit into.  I hate plugging stuff like this into the wrong one because those plugs are a pain in the ass to get off once they're connected..  I was just hoping to get it right the first time.  THANKS!!!

You can't complain about $3 gallon gas if you buy 20oz bottled water for a buck!
orboater
Charter Member

Boating season has arrived.....

Awards
« Reply #14 on: 05/04/03 06:56 AM »

I haven't seen the answer to this stupid question....  Which socket does the wiring harness go in?  I've got the cable, I know where the socket's are up on the firewall to the left of the brake pedal but there appears to be 3 sockets that the plug COULD fit into.  2 up high and 1 down low.  Since it's tucked up high I really can't tell which one it is SUPPOSED to fit into.  I hate plugging stuff like this into the wrong one because those plugs are a pain in the ass to get off once they're connected..  I was just hoping to get it right the first time.  THANKS!!!

There are keyed slots on the plug it will only fit where it is supposed to go.

Also there is a diagram on inside of cover.  Second plug from left on top. Little clip on plug goes up. Wink
Planet_Ed
« Reply #15 on: 05/12/03 04:10 AM »

the plug is a DELPHI>PA66< (under blue clip on side of plug)
terminal A brn,B red,C blue,D lt blu,E empty,F black  hope that helps

kcZ96

Awards
« Reply #16 on: 12/27/02 11:45 AM »

So I finally got my Avalanche.  It came with the trailering equipment.  It appears as though I need to purchase some other items in order for this to work. 1: a receiver(or whatever it is called) and 2: an adapter for the wiring.  Where do I get either of these two items, specifically the adapter for the wiring?  What should I get for a receiver, i.e. drop?

03 Dark Charcoal Gray Z71
Wiki

Island Bound

Awards
« Reply #17 on: 12/27/02 11:49 AM »

The adaptor for the wiring of the brake control and the adapter for your trailer lights should have come with your AV with the towing package.  As far as a receiver, you need to purchase that one yourself.  At least thats how my AV came.

Wiki

Until then, keep your foot in the pedal, and keep reaching for those MODS!
kcZ96

Awards
« Reply #18 on: 12/27/02 12:12 PM »

I kind of suspected that the adapter would have came with the truck, but where do I find it?

tomsr

Awards
« Reply #19 on: 12/27/02 12:28 PM »

My AV came with the receiver,(that's the part bolted to the frame), the standard 7 way trailer plug, adapter to change it to a flat four way plug, and the brake control harness for the mounting under the dash. The part that goes into the 4"x4" hole in the receiver is called the ball mount or utility bar. These vary in height, and weight carrying capacity. I found the standard 2" drop works for me with everything I tried so far-bass boat, utility trailer, small travel trailer. If you intend to tow anything heavy, you should have a "load equilizing hitch", and a sway bar. These are in the $400 + range.  Tom Sr
Y-Guy

Awards
« Reply #20 on: 12/27/02 12:31 PM »

If you have the receiver/hitch installed, you should have a 7 pin wiring outlet to the left of the hitch.

As for which shank to get, the rise or drop totally depends on the height of your trailer itself.  Measure your trailer when level to determine the proper height, then you can judge if you need to drop from your Av receiver and how much.  Remember you want to tow as level as possible.  

You can pick up shanks at Wal-Mart, or most camping places.  Your wiring should already be on the trailer.  The trailer might be one of several styles of connectors, 4pin, 7pin, etc.  They make adapters from 7pin to 4pin, and others as well.

What are you planning on towing?  If you are at or near your state limit for weight and need electric brakes I would suggest a good brake controller.  The Brake controller wiring harness doesn't come with the 03's.  I recommend the Prodigy.  Camping world has a sale on these along with $1 shipping bringing total cost down to around $105.  You can buy cheaper ones, but the braking won't be as smooth.  Getting a brake controller depends on how much your trailer weighs.
AVid
CAFCNA 2008 Supporting Member

Awards
« Reply #21 on: 12/27/02 12:43 PM »

In GM's great cheapness, the 2003 does not come with the adaptor or brake controler harness that the 2002 came with. You can pick these items up at your dealer but I suspect you can find them elsewhere alot cheaper. RV dealers should have everything you need.  chevy
kcZ96

Awards
« Reply #22 on: 12/27/02 01:24 PM »

Ok, let's see if I have this right. Since I have an 03, I will have to purchase both the wiring adapter and the shank? I plan on pulling a snowmobile trailer.  A 4 place aluminum snowmobile trailer is the heaviest I plan on pulling.  What is this brake controller people are talking about? I have some goofy round looking plugin next to my receiver, someone said I need an adapter so that a trailer harness (flat one) will work. I am a bit ignorant when it comes to trailering.  Used to have a Toyota, couldn't pull much more than a bicycle with that.

SovereignMgmt

Dance little man dance

Awards
« Reply #23 on: 12/27/02 01:37 PM »

Ok, let's see if I have this right. Since I have an 03, I will have to purchase both the wiring adapter and the shank? I plan on pulling a snowmobile trailer.  A 4 place aluminum snowmobile trailer is the heaviest I plan on pulling.  What is this brake controller people are talking about? I have some goofy round looking plugin next to my receiver, someone said I need an adapter so that a trailer harness (flat one) will work.

OK....... If the trailer you are pulling has brakes you have to have a controller installed for them to work.  If the trailer doesn't have brakes you don't need one.  If your trailer has a round plug on it, all you have to do is plug it in next to your receiver.  If it has a flat plug with 4 exposed pins and one hidden you will need an adapter.  As for the shank.... you need to have your ball 18" off the ground.  measure up to your receiver and subtract 18". The balance is the drop you will need.

2013 Black Dimond loaded with everything and then some.
ShapeShifter
CAFCNA 2013 Premium Member

What a great trip it's been...

WWW Awards
« Reply #24 on: 12/27/02 02:31 PM »

KcZ96,

If you have these basic questions, your best bet is to go to a camping/rv/trailer dealer and have them check out your equipment and recommend the proper gear. When you go, I would recommend that you be armed with the following information:[/list]
  • a photo of the trailer
  • the fully loaded weight of the trailer
  • the height of the trailer tounge when the trailer is level (measure from ground to bottom of tounge)
  • the type of braking system on your tailer (if any)
  • the type of electrical connector on the trailer (round or flat, and the number of pins)
  • the diameter of the ball needed for the trailer (1 7/8", 2", etc.)
  • your Av owner's manual
If you really want to be complete, stop by a chevy dealer and ask for a towing guide. This is a book that lists all of the truck's specifications and requirements when it comes to towing.

When you have all that information, go to a reputable towing dealer that sounds like they know what they are talking about, show them your truck and the above data, and ask for their recommendation.

They will be able to determine what wiring/adapters you will need, what kind of ball mount and hitch ball, and the required drop or rise for the ball mount.

If you don't have the trailer yet, then just take the Av, the Av owner's manual, and the towing guide to the place where you are buying your trailer, and let them set you up. (This is of course, assuming that you're buying the trailer from someone who knows what they are talking about, and not some kid at Home Depot. Wink )

We really can't make specific recommendations on the needed gear without knowing a lot more about your trailer, and if you have basic questions such as this, the general advice being given here may not be specific enough.

Have someone who knows what they're talking about look over your setup before you tow for the first time.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly, and in no time you'll be the one handing out advice.

-- SS

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: