• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

EVERYTHING GM Trailer Wiring Harness hook up wiring etc

teking

Charter Member
I search the site and found nothing on this so ..... does anyone know how to wire the trailer brake harness in? I need to tow a trailer with electric brakes this weekend.

Do I need more parts othewr than the harness supplied?

You will need an electric brake controller which mounts under the dash of your tow vehicle. Your Avalanche should have come with a pigtail which you will need to splice to the wires on your controller. Between the tag on your pigtail, the owners manual, and the instructions for the controller, it is pretty easy to determine what gets connected where, as I remember. Then the pigtail plugs into the fuse box under the dash. Do your final adjustments and you are reaady to go. It sounds worse than it is. The hardest part of the job is deciding where to mount the contoller.
HTH

Big_Don said:
You will need an electric brake controller which mounts under the dash of your tow vehicle. ?Your Avalanche should have come with a pigtail which you will need to splice to the wires on your controller. ?Between the tag on your pigtail, the owners manual, and the instructions for the controller, it is pretty easy to determine what gets connected where, as I remember. ?Then the pigtail plugs into the fuse box under the dash. ?Do your final adjustments and you are reaady to go. ?It sounds worse than it is. ?The hardest part of the job is deciding where to mount the contoller.
HTH

Dig Don,

Is the fuse box under the black case, I have only looked once and only very briefly.

It sounds pretty easy to do however. Cool, I need to get one installed as well.

Cheers,
DVC

Just received a brake controller and wiring harness from the company linked below. Very happy with my purchase. :) Check out the link below and order the brake controller of your choice (I ordered the Prodigy model). At the bottom of the page order the GM wire harness, this will make connecting and disconnecting a breaze.
http://www.brakecontroller.com/

EHAHN,
Excellent instructions. Anyone who follows them should have no problem. Did you take notes when you did the job or do you have a photographic memory?!

Big_Don said:
EHAHN,
Excellent instructions. ?Anyone who follows them should have no problem. ?Did you take notes when you did the job or do you have a photographic memory?!

Aw, shucks. Wasn't that hard.

ed

ehahn,

Wow these are awesome directions, thanks, it only took me 10 minutes.

Sweet,
dvc

???
Can anyone help me. I have connected the trailer brake controller to the wiring harness for the Avalanche. When I went to plug it in I cannot find the plug! There is a plug-in under the dash (between the steering wheel and the parking brake, but it is the wrong size. The plug on my trailer wiring harness will not fit it.

Any help would be appreciated...

Yes - Thanks. Got it wired today! (Ironically enough I read that thread before posting for help. If I'd read it more carefully the first time :-[ I'd have figured it out then. Ah, well. I'm now set to tow my trailer...

Does anybody know which color wires going into the trailer taillight connector are for the brake lights? I'm trying to tap into them to run additional brake lights on my AV. 4th brake lights if you will. I need to find out the brake light power and the ground.

Thanks
MI 99XPL

I looked at mine and if you look behind the trailer plug they are labeled as to what they are.

Where were you looking? ?I had the black corrgauted plastic wrap off, the gray cover off, and I couldn't find the labels. ?Did you take off your housing? Or are you refering to the large plug that converts 7 wires to 4 wires? (I lost mine and had to buy a aftermarket one at the auto store)

Thanks
MI 99XPL

I was under mine yesterday and noticed a white wrap around the plastic loom just before the back of the plug. On this wrap is discriptions of the wire colors and what they operate. It was kinda like a piece of tape about an inch an a half wide.

sorry i wasn't more specific. i had a problem with the reciever brake light flashing with the right directional. it just plugged in using my 7 to 4 wire reducer.

Another way to check for any future problems is too set your volt meter to D.C. volts. Touch the red lead to one terminal at a time while leaving the black lead on a good ground. This way you can have a helper hit the brakes, etc. while you check to see if you are getting power at the meter. Just make sure to be careful not to short out anything so you don't blow a fuse. This way, you don't have to worry if you don't have the wiring diagram. :D

Does anyone know what the amp fuse the 12v power that is to the trailer hitch plug is and is it on a fuse by itself?

Am attempting to get the instructions for installing a trailer brake controller but when I try the link provided it says "This topic doesn't exist on this bullitin board". Any suggestions on how to pull it up? Thanks.

Try searching for the topic in the link......

Installing trailer brake controller

admin made the link descriptive

NOTE: I fixed the original link in my POST above. Someone moved the topic from the Problems forum to Towing

i found a harness in the glove box, labeled z-82 trailer brake controller, and never much thought about it until i wanted a bunch of amps for an inverter, or some massive rear facing lights!! back by the tailgate, i found where it plugged in down by the emergency brake, and have a few questions from any ...av..brother that has been here before me.... there is a 40 amp fuse and a red feed wire, supposedly for the brake controller... i want to get this 40 amps back to the big /7pin trailer plug, and the blue wire on the z82 is, brake out,,, if, and not for me , you were wanting to get the power to the big trailer plug, do you just run your own wires to take advantage of the other pins in the big round plug back there??? ialso saw the brown wire on the z-83 says brake controller illumination. i am going to see if this would feed the light in my vacum gauge on the dash... i think i found a factory power source for other stuff instead of electric trailer brakes and figure some of you avrs can steer me in the right mod direction, and if not, this z82 thing is this weeks mod and ill tell you guys what i find... gotta get some power out by the tailgate, and will let you know!!

Back