• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Remote Starter Causing Battery Drain???

jinglis

Hi

I have a 2004 cladded black Avalanche. Just after I bought it last March I had Future Shop in Canada install a Nordic twoi way remote starter. A couple of months after that the battery died for no apparent reason. The dealer said it was the auto starter so Future shop put in a brand new replacement(thjey have been excellent through this) after a couple or three more months it happened again and again the dealer would only say it was the remote starter. So again I went to Future shop and they instyalled a NU Start which was more money but was an exact match for GM(they did not charge me anything extra to do that). After a few months it happened again and again the dealer would only take out the remote starter. Since then(about a month ago) it has started fine with no dead battery problems. The tech at Future shop is trying to track it down but has anyone had this happened and have any advice or solutions. It doesn't seem that these mesh well with the remote starter and GM apparently has nothing of their own to offer me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

some installers will set up the remote starter to automatically start the vehicle every 30 mins at night if you live in a cold climate like canada. and they may have not set the timer up right.

Did the dealer test the battery and the total parasitic drain on the battery to see if it was within spec?  Did Future Shop test that the current drain of the remote starter was within spec?  I have had to replace remote starters on my vehicles that went bad and caused excessive parasitic drain on the battery.  But I don't think you would likely get 3 bad ones in a row.  If the vehicle is not driven regularly the battery will drain faster due to the remote starter.  But you should still get at least 2 weeks of reserve out of a good battery.  My factory battery in the Av was acting up earlier this year.  Turns out it had a bad cell.

how long is the truck sitting for? Some of the remote starts have a starter lock-out while its running and while its left armed\disarmed for more than 60 seconds. As odd as it sounds, the internal relay has enough draw when the relay is activated to draw a battery down if it sits for a few months.

Did you remove Remote starter to see if it is causing issues?

Back