• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Doing oil change, how much oil does this beast take?

keng

Doing on oil change on my 04 AV, I bought a 5qt bottle of castrol and it put it all in. The oil level is not even on the dip stick yet. Does this have a 6qt pan?
Do I need to put enough oil to fill all the oil holes or marks on the dip stick?

keng said:
Doing on oil change on my 04 AV, I bought a 5qt bottle of castrol and it put it all in. The oil level is not even on the dip stick yet. Does this have a 6qt pan?
Do I need to put enough oil to fill all the oil holes or marks on the dip stick?

I thought you said you had and had read the owner's manual, from prior posts :)

It's in there.  6 quarts.

Okay, then I need to seriously check my AV when I Get home. I just had the oil changed (didn't have the time to do it myself) and they told me they put in 6.7 quarts....

I didn't think to even question it as I have only had her two weeks.

DEFINATELY pulling out the shop light and looking when I get off work. Fortunately I only drove it home after getting the oil changed (about 4 miles).

You guys are correct, I do I have a manual but it was not on me. That is why I posted.

So do I fill it with oil until the last indicator on the dip stick is covered?

keng said:
So do I fill it with oil until the last indicator on the dip stick is covered?

There's always the online and/or the search feature :)

To answer your question though, you put in 6 quarts, the prescribed amount.  No more, no less.

I'm with them 6 qts. But what do I know I just did it on my '04 on Sunday. Btw don't forget about grease for the 5 grease fittings.

Back