• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

DIC battery not charging

John4x4

I'm getting a DIC message that says "battery not charging".   It comes on intermittently and then goes away.   I don't seem to lose power or have any other associated problems.   anyone know what could be causing this?

is this only when vehicle is running, or have you seen it during idling or on position? might wat to get alternator checked..

bandt0913 is correct sounds like alt is not charging the battery. Also check connections on the alt and battery

BTW :welcome: to the club

It's a 2003 1500 w/ 51K miles.   Seems too soon for the alt. but who knows.   It doesn't come on when ideling - seems to come on most after I've driven about an hour it hot weather with the A/C and radio on.   The batt. connections are good and the batt seems OK.

:welcome: btw!
Might want to run it by local parts store and let them check the alt and batt. I had a alt go out on my silverado at 34k miles. Hope everything checks out okay for you, but you find the problem in the meantime! GOOD LUCK!

bandt0913 said:
:welcome: btw!
Might want to run it by local parts store and let them check the alt and batt. I had a alt go out on my silverado at 34k miles. Hope everything checks out okay for you, but you find the problem in the meantime! GOOD LUCK!
that would be my suggestion, also check the cable to see if any acid is leaking down them

WILDFIRE said:
that would be my suggestion, also check the cable to see if any acid is leaking down them

Be sure to check the block/frame side of the ground cable.   You can get plenty of crud down there that you could miss by only checking the battery side of the connections.

Yes - that one has bit me before.

Another very good suggestion. ZPO

Never count out the alternator.  Seeing as how they have electrical parts exposed, somewhat, to the elements they can go out at anytime.  In my 1990 Sierra I wqent through three in less than 5 years.

:E:

hi

I am from Belgium and I also have a chevy avalanche 2003 5.3l z71 and I have the same problem the message "battery not charging" lights I ve replaced the alternator, battery the problem remains

So in your case what was the problem?

Thanks

Check your battery cables at both ends.

also check the return wire from the alternator to the red junction box. Don't ask me how I know  :E:

I just replaced my alternator and serpentine belt but there is a 175 amp fuse that can stop or hinder the 2007 avalanche from charging .

I also have the same issue. 2003 Avalanche with the 5.3L. Battery not charging DIC and battery light illuminates intermittently. Checked and cleaned all cables, reman alternator, battery good. Test with my DMM and I get 14.7v at alternator and battery with no voltage drop. Not running battery is showing 12.6v, gauge on dash shows 14.7v while running as well. Any ideas???

Load test battery

DIC being a DIC

Did you test the battery first thing in morning before starting first time? That will give a closer to true voltage reading. 12.6 is technically fully charged but the bottom of the barrel. If it is 12.2 volts for instance, that is about a 50% discharge number.

As ygmn suggest, load test it and see how far it drops, you may have a cell going bad and that may be what DIC is picking up.

Back