• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Added Air Bags- Notes and Warning

avalonandl

First let me say that the air bags have really smoothed out the ride while towing my boat ( 10,500 to 11,000 lbs). The boat rides much better and the extra support stabilized the load over big bumps.

However- The instructions telling you to remove the bumper stop being held on by "tack weld" are INCORRECT. At some point in time GM changed to a Gusset weld AND a Carriage bolt on this bracket. This bolt on my 2004 was very rusted and required torching/sawzall to remove on each side. The left side is VERY close to the fuel tank, so be careful with torches. Also the parking brake cable is in the way on the LH side.You also need to compress the bags and tie them to remain compressed while you locate them between axle and frame.

Avalon

Avalon

:nopics:

are you talking like Ride Tech air bags or coil spring air bags?

Didit

never mind, lol just seen you have a 2500 so must be the Ride Tech type, oops my bad!

Didit

the gusset weld was indeed a surprise,the bolts on mine werent too rusted,but i did have to clearance the bracket next to the fuel tank!!!!with about 15-20 psi in the bags , the ride is quite good !!!!

Didit said:
never mind, lol just seen you have a 2500 so must be the Ride Tech type, oops my bad!

Didit
These are the Firestone bags- with metal ends- sit between Leaf spring and frame. Purchased from Mich Truck Spring online about $ 230. i at first thought the push in air lines were cheesy. But they held. The "j" bolts i do not like. Overall the bags have really improved towing ride.

Bringing and old topic to the top.

My rt side exhaust pipe broke at the muff and burned my air line on that side. I am ordering a new fitting and inflation valve since the old fitting is a once on will NOT come off. So ia am replacing that fitting on the top of the spring and putting a new inflation valve on.

Will let you know how this goes.

Avalon

This time with pictures.

I add the kit to my Avy, here are some pictures...

In the box... besides the airline "Tee" (red arrow) that I got from Inland Truck Parts. I used it to run a single line back to the air valve. 

Bump Stop bolt...

Upper bracket...

Lower bracket with "J" bolts...

I ended up placing the air valve in the license plate.
I really like this upgrade so far... I have found that 32psi is optimal for towing the Travel Trailer and 10psi for the Boat.

Same air bags I have on my 2500, they work great... (y)

Pulled 36' 8500lb travel trailer 60 miles round trip this weekend and I love these air springs!!
I use them to level the truck up once the bed is loaded and the trailer is hooked up. Took right at 32psi with camping gear and fire wood in the truck for this trip.
Some of the Hwy bridge approaches around here are terrible, bouncing around and what-not... hitting them even at 60mph is sketchy. I can say the air springs makes them way better! This is a mod I can totally recommend to anyone who hauls or tows on a regular basis. (y)

Denny

Same ones I run. You would think air springs would make things bouncy but its just the opposite. They work great pulling my 10K lbs loaded camper  :D

Back