• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

How To Haul A Motorcycle?

trash

Charter Member
Anyone move a motorcycle in their avalanche yet? I'm planning on taking mine in the summer to the cabin (twice a year), so I don't want to spend money on a fancy ramp. Motorcycle weighs approx 400lbs.

Any ideas on a cheap ramp and properly tying it down? How hard is it go get motorcycles in and out of the bed? I'm a little afraid of dropping it while backing it out, etc..

Thanks!
Trash

I'll be watching the response to this one. I have been telling people that I can get my Harley in the back but I've never actually done it yet. My FXDWG is about 800 lbs. I have the same fear about getting it back out. That's why I haven't tried it yet.... Love to hear some ideas...

No one's chimed in yet, so I'll just mention that I've hauled a couple dirtbikes without too much trouble.

My el-cheapo ramp is less than 5' long, but my driveway is uphill from the street so if I put the Av's rear tires in the gutter, the angle isn't too bad and I can push my bike right in. For unloading at our riding spot, I look for a little hill and back up against it. If it's flat, I get a buddy and we wrestle the bikes in/out.

For securing, I just use two high quality motorcycle straps from the bars down to the anchor points at the front of the bed. If I had a street bike, I'd probably anchor the passenger pegs to the rear anchor points.

trash - at 400 lbs., you shouldn't have too much trouble hauling your bike around. Just get a looooooong ramp so the breakover angle at the top isn't too severe. The March issue of Dirt Rider magazine listed a few different ramp types and costs.

Transformer - is your Dyna Glide really 800 lbs.? Wow, do you think the tailgate would support that? Maybe you were thinking of removing the tailgate, but that poses another problem...

One problem I have that you don't see in the ads is that with the midgate down, I can wheel the front of my bike into the cab like they show, but when the headlight hits the roof, there's still about three inches of the rear tire left sticking out so I can't close the tailgate. I have a bed extender (which I need to modify), so it isn't that big a deal, I guess.

I posted some pics on the forum... maybe here, maybe in the accessories section? Let me know if you can't find them with a search.

Here's an awesome ramp that would suit both your needs (you don't want to know the price):

http://www.motorcycleramps.com

caddyramp.jpg

I have had my bike in the back of my 89 K1500 PU before. I used three 2 x 8 x 8' boards, one to support the bike and the other two on each side for me to stand on. Weighs about 500 LBs. Look for a slight hill, the closer the tailgate is to the ground the better. Sometimes you can pull 90 degrees to the road with the back tires in the ditch and almost ride it in. If you use boards watch that the front tire doesn't slide on the board. If it does you can't steer it. On street bikes I recommend using a ratcheting type of tiedown to compress the suspension otherwise when you hit a bump the bikes front suspension may compress and let the tiedowns pop loose.....not a nice picture. One other problem with using boards is that they stick up above the tailgate and you risk pushing them off instead of getting on top of them. On my old pickup you could remove the tailgate and set the boards on the top of the bumper making them even with the bed. I haven't loaded the bike into the AV yet, nor have I removed the tailgate yet, its too cold in Chicago.
Half truck half SUV - half-breed.

I didn't think of the tailgate capacity. Better research that a bit before I try it. I could put the Harley in my Silverado but the tailgate on that truck is of a different configuration. Anybody know the capacity of the tailgate on the AV?? (Maybe I should just look for a nice trailer and save the bed for my sleeping bag) If I ever get the Harley in the back it would make a great photo for the 'fan club brochure'.

I think the tailgate is good for 500lbs or so.....?

I haven't rolled any of mine in the back yet, but will soon enough.

My ramps: ?Home Depot specials.... I bought one of their ramp kits out in the garden section (like $30?), and two 2"x12"x8'(?) boards. ?One for the bike, one for me to walk next to it. ?(I've only use them on my ghetto [homemade utility] trailer)

Tie downs: ?I use a bar harness, sometimes called a Canyon Dancer for my sportbike. ?It's a soft strap harness that slips over the bars of a sportbike, with a tie down loop at each end. ?When you snug one side down, it actually pulls the opposite bar, and puts weight on the upper triple clamp. ?Works awesome - doesn't go anywhere near the plastic. I like ratchet straps rather than the friction ones.... ? ....I also use "soft straps" around my lower triple clamps, to the front of the bike to hold it against the wheel chocks. (on the utility trailer, because there is nothing to rest the wheel against)

There's a good picture of the whole jalopee right here: ?Bikes Loaded On Trailer

Bikes Loaded On Trailer (LARGER)

EDIT: fixed link.

ALSO: I like to duct tape the straps to the metal hooks on the tie downs. On rough roads, the bikes move a lot... I've had a few straps come loose because of this. If they're duct taped to the hooks, they have no place to go. (y)

I have not hauled any bikes with my Av yet, but I plan to!

I have two sport bikes. ?In the past, I have had excellent luck with the Canyon Dancer Bar-Harness ?

You can usually pick these up for less than $30. ?Worth every penny!!

:-[
Oooops, overlooked this thread... I just posted this in the dirtbike thread. Sorry for the double post but this is better suited here.

I want to haul a sportbike...anyone had one in their AV yet? In the "Anyone use an Extender" thread I placed a link to a company that has an extender/ramp that looks interesting.

I have a Sport Chock from www.baxleycompanies.com that can be used in PU bed, trailer, or whatever...just ride in and get off. No need for a kickstand, it's very stable and if being used for hauling, there is much less force needed to tie the bike down. They are pricey but worth every penny in my book.

Summit has an aluminum ramp that weighs 17 lbs, folds and hold up to 1000lbs for $119.99. Part # DEA-792100
I plan on using that for my Honda CBRF4. I'm thinking about the bed extender too. Cause then I wouldn't have to fold down the midgate. Anybody know where the cheapest place is to get that extender?

where do you put the ramps when you are on the road? the heidht off the ground scares me my old 1956 mustang scooter{with the 500 triumph} transplant wont fit straight in I havent tried backing it in with the back tire , midgate down-----maybe a seat protector like i saw on the club site. A trips coming up with the scooter in the back. a mod ---i thought of----- would be a panel{canvas ) from the sail panel to ol #2,---- the middle bed panel. with the bike in there with me and the mod/problem/ remember modders.....a problem with an av is an expected challenge .... I have to back in to the console with the rear tirethe window is in but the forward panel is out, for the handlebarsout in the bed. your topic name is very appropriate and i,m working on-------I,m out in the driveway in a minute or 2 moddin my av

I forgot another motorcycle ramp..... issue. this is discussed at av club I think ....scratched my taigate.... on my first ry ,on a slope when we pushed thew bike in the ramp slid back use a tie mdown strap from the ramp to the safety chain hook on the hitsh so the ramp doesnt slip. I did get a picture or two of Z-71 & scooter combo...... Load up that av and ride

The bed height is my main concern too. I still think this may be the best option that I have seen... http://www.motorcycleramps.com/rrextender.htm ...and will probably buy one at some point. I usually trailer but there is always a parking issue with the trailer.

marc_w: How did you like Loudon? I took my RC51 over to VIR this past spring...best track that I have been on yet. I may be taking the RC out to Parhump, NV for 2 STAR schools and 2 trackdays in early Nov. too...it's a loooong haul from Arkansas!

Thanks for the link ;D. ?That one kills 2 birds with 1 stone, the ramp and extender in one package. ?I think I'm gonna pass on that one from summit now. ?Do the other bed extenders attach in the same manner?

I don't know how the others attach. If you get one anytime soon, be sure to let me know how it works. I think I'd want to use 2X6 or 2X8 to walk up on...sure would hate to drop my bike off the back end!

DD51 - I love Loudon. :)

It 'IS' the only track I've been on so far, but it's got just about everything on it. Fast sweepers, uphills, downhills, chicanes, a banked bowl... They've been doing a lot of work to the track, smoothing out the transitions on and off of the NASCAR oval, and adding air-fences up all over the place. I believe the AMA dropped it from their tour because of safety issues at the speeds the pro's run it.

Yeah, you definitely do a lot of traveling to different tracks. I can only really swing day trips here, and Loudon is only 100 or so miles up the road...

How do you like the RC51? I was looking to get one in a year or two. The R1 is starting to feel a little old. I may keep it for a little while longer and play with some mods I have yet to really get into.

Yeah, I really like that ramp/extender... I need both! ?

Funny thing is, it's the same price as the Steel Horse bed extender..... ? And all it does it extend your bed. ? :p

EDIT:

The only thing I'm not crazy over is the way it rests on the tailgate. Pic Here. ?There would be a noticeable little 'lip' to back a bike up onto if you were unloading the bike..... ?and the possibility of the ramp sliding forward when you first push a bike up onto the ramp.

I wish it had something like these: ?Ramp Pic

marc, don't bother with the Steelhorse extender right now, it does not fit the Av - search "bed extender" topic for all the reasons why. the ramp/extender you linked to is really cool because they show an Av application - the problem with typical bed extenders (not those that double as a motorcycle ramp ;) ) is in the "flip over" design for when you are not using it in extender mode - that is why the GM extender has the odd shape. I like the ramp/extender you posted, for what I need it for (motorcyle only) it would be perfect.

I love the 51!! I've had more fun on it than anything else that I have owned. I have a friend who has an R1 (with Penske rear and Ohlins forks). We do some bike switching from time to time...the R1 feels fast, but the 51 will hang pretty good. I do prefer the way the 51 turns over the R1 though. The R1 owner always says the 51 is deceptively fast and that it "just feels right". LOL! Whatever that means!

Back to ramp/extender; I don't like the way it rests on the bed either. I think I would use a tie down to keep it from sliding off the tailgate. Where does the hook, in the second picture, attach to??

I put my bike in the back of my Av whenever I go to the dealer for service or whatever. I made my own ramp out of a 8' piece of 2x8 and a 4"x14"x1/8" piece of steel plate bent to the proper angle and attached to the 2x8. When I load or un-load the bike (BMW R1200C) I use one of the ratcheting tie down straps to hold the ramp to the tailgate by hooking one end to the trailer hitch safety chain loops then over the steel plate and back down to the hitch again. I used an 8' piece of wood for 2 reasons

1. It is about the same legenth of the bike and will travel next to the bike.

2. It hade to be that long for the frame/engine to clear the edge of the tailgate on a level surface.

It is not very easy and takes 2 people at least to load. Even though I am a Stuntman I am not going to risk a $14,000 Motorcycle driving up a 8" piece of wood.

Some of the ramp on this post are pretty nice. After I wrote this I feel like I need to buy or make something a little safer.

Eric

Thanks a lot for the heads up Jackalanche! ?I haven't looked into them much yet, just kinda tossing around the idea.

In all fairness, DD51 was the man who found the ramp site I was prodding through... ?They have a lot of cool stuff there, that's for sure. ?Some of it is a bit pricey and really makes me think back to my lovely cheap, pieces of wood. ?;D

EDIT:

DD51: Cool, regarding the bike...

I currently just have a few things into my bike... 180 rear, raised forks, and a Lindemann revalved/resprung stock shock. He'll probably get my forks this winter because in all actuallity I won't trade up anytime soon. :)

I heard of a guy talking about his RC51 the other day.. he said at first, when he got it... "it didn't really make sense." But, "it was like a good song or CD you just bought. The best ones you own, aren't usually all that great the first time you hear them. But the more you listen to it (or ride the bike), the more it makes sense and the more you love it."

and as for the secondary conversation - RSV Mille SP coming soon - going Italian v-twin after all these years as a team green wheelie machine member! (Stoppies still elude me though, and I let my crazier pals do the rolling stoppies . . . ) Nothing clears the head like a knee-draggin blast through the twisty resevoir roads early Sunday morning >:D (though I like the fact that you are talking about track time too, best place to test your limits).

Jeezoose! A Mille SP?! Aren't they a hundred billion or so?! ;D I love Mille's... I was checking them out this weekend at the local Aprillia dealer. Well the Mille's and the RS250. Even the RS50! The guy was saying that the bike is fun because you have to spank it everywhere just to keep up with traffic. :D They had a 70cc big-bore kit and an Arrow pipe behind some glass. :cool:

I was very close to getting a 9R back when I got my R1... I also like the new 9-whatever CBR's. I sat on one with Heli Bars that was very comfortable.

My poor R1 never really sees any street use anymore... The lights are all removed / taped up still from the last track day. Every time I take it out on the roads, I act like a complete idiot. I just can't control myself anymore... it's like I'm riding my dirtbike or something. :(

allright though, back to your regularily scheduled programing:

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting...hope it works. I have a brand new Av (1500 Z71, pewter, tan leather, sunroof, running boards, roof rack, kitchen sink...) and a Harley Davidson Road King Classic (2000, Luxury Rich Red Pearl :). I have been measuring and re-measuring for several weeks now trying to see how my Harley would fit in the back of the Av. I really dont want to have to drop the midgate if i can avoid it.

I almost had a heart attack when i saw how much they want for some of these nice folding ramps ($400 plus!). I was all set to Jerry-rig my own ramp when i checked www.harborfreight.com and found a folding motorcycle ramp that is 45 inches wide, 69 inches long, and is rated for 1500 lbs......for $79.99!!!!!!!

It should arrive tomarrow and i plan to test it as soon as possible. I am a little worried that the crest of the ramp/tailgate union will be too severe. I might have to load and unload into a driveway....but thats not too big of a problem.

My other worry is the length of my bike and how to tie it down. The rear tire is going to rest squarely on the tailgate. The front fender tip will smash against the midgate unless i make some kind of buffer to go between the tire and midgate below the fender.

The other concern is the location of the tiedownd and where to attach to my bike. I have heard that attaching to the bars can put a lot of pressure on the fork seals causing them to blow??? Any experts on this issue out there? My Rear attachment points are going to be lined up with the front of my saddlebags or the back of my seat area....where should i tie down there??

I guess I'll have to experiment a little bit as soon as the ramp arrives. I cant wait to take a pic as soon as i get it loaded...I'll be sure and post it here, along with some close-ups of the tie-down set-up.

Wish me luck! :)

welcome aboard Steve. While I do not have personal experience with a Harley, I have no reason to believe that what we jap / italian bike riders do will be any different, except for pure wieght issues - I would ask all four of my Sunday riding buds to help me load a Road King, sweet ride, my fav Harley, but dang, heavy! Might want to use a ramp plus a board on either side for those walking the bike up. The higher the bottom of the ramp in relation to the truck bed, the better - but the road king offers few options for yard shenanigans.

As for my frineds (and I ride with some Harley dudes every now and then) we all seem to use ratcheting tie downs, I know ancra makes them, among others, and the sources for these products also sell soft loops so you dont mar your bike. Never heard of fork seals blowing out due to constant compression per cranked tie-downs, don't think it is any different than having a rider on board a bike for a long stretch. We all seem to leave our bikes in gear, many friends also chock their rear tires

How about something like this on the trailer hitch?
600lb max.
http://www.mototote.com

trucksmall.jpg

sportbikethumb.jpg

The MOTO-TOTE Sport? Motorcycle Carrier
Forget your motorcycle trailer !
The Sport Hauls up to 600 lbs.
No more trailer registration !

Back